A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I'm very pleased about, is my vassals are actually being very helpful in the wars I've been involved in :)

Even my 9 city Viking vassal has moved stacks of muskets into enemy territory, and even made a capture! (Ten cities now!)

Korea had been under heavy revolution stress and finally released two of it's cities into a new civilization (Which I promptly declared war on and took a city from) and just two turns later Asoka as the Incans took the poor new civ's only other city and razed it :lol:

I got the message that Asoka had captured and razed the city, and then not shown in the attached screenshot - a message about the Korean people forming partisan units in response to the razing and finally a message about the Egyptian Empire (Kublai Khan, spawned when Korea gave in to rebel demands) being destroyed only three turns after they formed. How cruel!

I was laughing the whole time I was reading the messages - for some reason AI razing each others cities has always been highly amusing to me, and the sound effect for cities being razed always makes me chuckle a bit.

Still, I've never really seen vassals be useful like this before. Ever. Normally I see them sit in their cities taking up space. But here? I've had Frederick, Pacal, Asoka, Isabella, and Abu all send troops into Korea shortly after I declared war (With Pacal and Frederick being the last to get their units there) and even Lincoln as well! Abu and Asoka both even managed to take a city, Lincoln and Pacal helped mop up any units that moved into my borders, and Isabella actually fortified some units in my border cities while Korea was shuffling Curisaers around (She moved them out when Pacal got his forces to the frontlines, then she moved them into Korea proper)

It's just... Even in fairly recent AND revisions, vassals never did much of anything in my games, so I was quite pleasantly surprised to see them making an active effort in my wars! I actually declared on Korea and made an effort NOT to get involved with taking their cities for 20 or so turns, and in that time Abu, Pacal, and Asoka started moving units up to their borders, with Frederick and Lincoln sending a few spare troops up from time to time. Seeing them actually capture cities? Even better! :D
Makes me wonder if something in the AI vassal code had changed recently or if this is just lucky coincidence. Maybe they were bored of amassing military in their cities for years on end with nothing to shoot at. :)

*Edit* In that first screenshot, Hirohito was the first rebel Civ that plagued Korea for several dozen turns, and he finally vassalized to Korea whilst I was at war with Korea, and his forces got teleported onto that little island when he did. The very next turn Abu took the city shown there.

It's not about Vassals, it's just AI that's been enhanced. From a quick test next revision should be even better: hopefully no more invading troops wandering around your cities after an invasion without actually attacking cities.:)

Edit: now,if only I could solve that blockade bug...

So it's the AI overall improving :)

I haven't had a lot of vassals with more than just a few cities before so I suppose I just haven't noticed their improvement until now. I've got six of them - all former empires and only one I have actually been at war with (Asoka)

Aahh that blockade bug still being irritable? I don't know anything about Python or XML or anything, but I'm assuming it's not something easily fixed?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13001264 said:
It's not about Vassals, it's just AI that's been enhanced. From a quick test next revision should be even better: hopefully no more invading troops wandering around your cities after an invasion without actually attacking cities.:)

Edit: now,if only I could solve that blockade bug...

Aahh that blockade bug still being irritable? I don't know anything about Python or XML or anything, but I'm assuming it's not something easily fixed?

Unfortunately it's not python or xml, it's in the DLL. I've pinpointed the part of the code causing troubles, it was imported from C2C almost 2 years ago (which means blockades haven't worked in C2C since then); that part of the code was written by Koshling to reduce memory usage in the trade network calculation and I really can't understand all of it. I've asked on C2C forum as well, but it looks like they can't help there either, not until Koshling comes back probably next month. I've tried revereting back to the old code but it's too complicated now and it would certainly cut down other improvements and cause more bugs. I guess the best option is to let Koshling fix it, if I'm not able to fix it before he comes back.

Yeah better off waiting for koshling. Since you've already pinpointed the problem, im sure he'll be able to fix it lickety split - he's a bit of a programming magician.

Through hook or crook, I manged to work my way forward to 995AD. This is after 6 or seven crashes and subsequent tweaking unit movements, building queues or diplomacy, etc to get to this point. The game is now up against a brick wall and will not process a turn no matter what I do.

I know this is a moving target for you in looking at this but just trying to give you as much to work with as possible. If there is no time or interest in pursuing this I understand and I don't have a problem with that.

So, I have attached this final result for game turn 995AD under build 667 and the associated mini dump.

Thank you for you efforts in any case.

Buck

Thought I would update to build 668 to see if that would help out with the crash. Update took but still experiencing the crashes.

I started up CivAND earlier and as I was loading my saved game one of the 'Hints' on the loading screen was "Early Gunpowder units now require sulfur resource"

...Checking the Hints section in the Civopedia shows the Ammunition resource requirement is also still referenced.
Some text that wasn't removed? :)

I started up CivAND earlier and as I was loading my saved game one of the 'Hints' on the loading screen was "Early Gunpowder units now require sulfur resource"

...Checking the Hints section in the Civopedia shows the Ammunition resource requirement is also still referenced.
Some text that wasn't removed? :)

A lot of info wasn't removed and it's still referring to AND1.75 or earlier or even original RoM... on the to-do list but I prefer working on gameplay bugs for the moment ;)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13002287 said:
A lot of info wasn't removed and it's still referring to AND1.75 or earlier or even original RoM... on the to-do list but I prefer working on gameplay bugs for the moment ;)

Right, since text things don't actually impact gameplay like bugs and other issues do :)

I am curious though, what things like Walls and Castles and other fortification buildings mean by the +__% defense ...except against units with High Explosives.

The 'High Explosives' bit confusing me. Even in 1.75 I don't ever recall seeing anything like that :confused:

Right, since text things don't actually impact gameplay like bugs and other issues do :)

I am curious though, what things like Walls and Castles and other fortification buildings mean by the +__% defense ...except against units with High Explosives.

The 'High Explosives' bit confusing me. Even in 1.75 I don't ever recall seeing anything like that :confused:

I'm not 100% sure but I guess it's units after Explosives techs. So walls work against arquebusiers but not against infantry, for example. But I'm not sure because that part is very old and not designed by me.

Through hook or crook, I manged to work my way forward to 995AD. This is after 6 or seven crashes and subsequent tweaking unit movements, building queues or diplomacy, etc to get to this point. The game is now up against a brick wall and will not process a turn no matter what I do.

I know this is a moving target for you in looking at this but just trying to give you as much to work with as possible. If there is no time or interest in pursuing this I understand and I don't have a problem with that.

So, I have attached this final result for game turn 995AD under build 667 and the associated mini dump.

Thank you for you efforts in any case.

Buck

Thought I would update to build 668 to see if that would help out with the crash. Update took but still experiencing the crashes.

I haven't tried using rev667 because I'm experimenting with rev669 which I haven't released yet, but it looks like the game isn't crashing; I've been able to play a few turns with no issues at all, so probably the crash is going to be fixed in my next release.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13002330 said:
I'm not 100% sure but I guess it's units after Explosives techs. So walls work against arquebusiers but not against infantry, for example. But I'm not sure because that part is very old and not designed by me.

I did some digging and playing around, and I think that it applies to any unit with the <bIgnoreBuildingDefense> flag set to 1. There is a difference between regular BTS and AND in that most gunpowder foot troops (there are some exceptions, like Grenadier and Bazooka) and gunpowder horse units have this set to 0 in AND, when in BTS it's set to 1 and buildings specifically say (except against Gunpowder-based units); units with that feature don't display any text to indicate they have it.

So the (except against units with high explosives) isn't actually telling you anything new. The problem is finding out which units have this feature. For example, looking into the Civilopedia page for the Early Tank, the Ignore Building Defense text appears at the end of the tank's main Civilopedia entry, but not on the little mouseover popup.
View attachment 368068
In-game, the text does not appear on the mouseover, but it is definitely applying. When the Early Tank is active, Thebes' 30% defense from Walls disappears.
View attachment 368069View attachment 368070

Something that has always bothered me is the extra blank line of text following any building with a -% change in anarchy length (example: Supreme Court). I've done some digging, and I think the problem is in the CvGameTextMgr.cpp file. I know enough to be able to read the files in Sources, but not how to compile a DLL change.

This is the part of the code that adds the text for any building that affects anarchy length, lines 13420-13435:
Code:
	if (kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier() != 0)
	{
		if (-100 == kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier())
		{
			szBuffer.append(NEWLINE);
			szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_NO_ANARCHY"));
		}
		else
		{
			szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_MOD", kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier()));

szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD", kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier()));
		}
	}

The problem is that the TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD provides absolutely nothing, according to RoM_GameText_Objects.xml:
Code:
<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD</Tag>
		<English>[SPACE]</English>
		<French>>[SPACE]</French>
		<German>>[SPACE]</German>
		<Italian>>[SPACE]</Italian>
		<Spanish>>[SPACE]</Spanish>
		<Finnish></Finnish>
		<Hungarian></Hungarian>
		<Polish></Polish>
		<Russian></Russian>
		<Chinese></Chinese>
		<Japanese></Japanese>
	</TEXT>

I think that we can remove the last three lines of actual code (not including the braces, so the blank line at 13431 followed by the last two szBuffer.append lines), without causing any problems. All this file does is affect the text displayed on the screen. Can this be tried before the next release?

Something that has always bothered me is the extra blank line of text following any building with a -% change in anarchy length (example: Supreme Court). I've done some digging, and I think the problem is in the CvGameTextMgr.cpp file. I know enough to be able to read the files in Sources, but not how to compile a DLL change.

This is the part of the code that adds the text for any building that affects anarchy length, lines 13420-13435:
Code:
	if (kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier() != 0)
	{
		if (-100 == kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier())
		{
			szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_NO_ANARCHY"));
		}
		else
		{
			szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_MOD", kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier()));

szBuffer.append(gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD", kBuilding.getAnarchyModifier()));
		}
	}

The problem is that the TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD provides absolutely nothing, according to RoM_GameText_Objects.xml:
Code:
<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ANARCHY_TIMER_MOD</Tag>
		<English>[SPACE]</English>
		<French>>[SPACE]</French>
		<German>>[SPACE]</German>
		<Italian>>[SPACE]</Italian>
		<Spanish>>[SPACE]</Spanish>
		<Finnish></Finnish>
		<Hungarian></Hungarian>
		<Polish></Polish>
		<Russian></Russian>
		<Chinese></Chinese>
		<Japanese></Japanese>
	</TEXT>

I think that we can remove the last three lines of actual code (not including the braces, so the blank line at 13431 followed by the last two szBuffer.append lines), without causing any problems. All this file does is affect the text displayed on the screen. Can this be tried before the next release?

I think I can fix this one, I'll make a test and let you know. :)

Edit: it works, it will be in the next revision. Thank you Vokarya.

I'm not a programmer, but isn't it, the blank spaces, to separate the actions of each body of text, for easier debugging and textual flow.

It shouldn't affect anything, I'd say its the same as your basic English grammar, in using paragraphs, sentences etc.

Putting concepts into blocks of text etc.

Just my input, as I said, shouldn't change anything, its just a programming trick.

# Same as Comments added to programming text ;)

I'm not a programmer, but isn't it, the blank spaces, to separate the actions of each body of text, for easier debugging and textual flow.

It shouldn't affect anything, I'd say its the same as your basic English grammar, in using paragraphs, sentences etc.

Putting concepts into blocks of text etc.

Just my input, as I said, shouldn't change anything, its just a programming trick.

# Same as Comments added to programming text ;)

Not necessarily, but it depends on the programming language. For example, Python is very strict about whitespace. A tab in the wrong place will prevent anything from working.

@vokarya

Noticed that strike fighter obsoletes same time when its pereq techs are researched.

Strike fighter = guided weapons and composites
Modern fighter = modern warfare and composites, modern warfare is pereq to guided weapons

You have done great job with tech tree:)

@vokarya

Noticed that strike fighter obsoletes same time when its pereq techs are researched.

Strike fighter = guided weapons and composites
Modern fighter = modern warfare and composites, modern warfare is pereq to guided weapons

You have done great job with tech tree:)

Good catch. I also noticed that we don't have any Fighter units at Supersonic Flight. I should probably do some in-depth looking at units once I'm finished analyzing buildings. What if we do this:
  • Move Jet Fighter from Guided Weapons to Supersonic Flight. This opens up some more distance between the Jet Fighter and the Strike Fighter.
  • Move Modern Fighter to Stealth + Wearable Computers. This gives you a Late Modern fighter unit.
We'll probably need to adjust the numbers on Stealth Fighter vs. Modern Fighter as well, but that's a separate project.

Sounds good, all three fighters are too close each other now.

You could make stealth fighter more realistic to get distance modern fighter, real life only ever active used "stealth fighter" (those graphics in game) was strictly ground bomber so its not a fighter unit at all:) Its also pretty old tech, mass production started early 80s. Fift generation fighters like f35 (modern fighter) are multirole fighters with some stealth tech.. these are going to be active use 2030s so you could move it forward in tech tree.

I hope you guys find solution those two tricky bugs, AI route thing is really irritating.

Sounds good, all three fighters are too close each other now.

You could make stealth fighter more realistic to get distance modern fighter, real life only ever active used "stealth fighter" (those graphics in game) was strictly ground bomber so its not a fighter unit at all:) Its also pretty old tech, mass production started early 80s. Fift generation fighters like f35 (modern fighter) are multirole fighters with some stealth tech.. these are going to be active use 2030s so you could move it forward in tech tree.

I hope you guys find solution those two tricky bugs, AI route thing is really irritating.

I totally agree.
The in-game graphic of "stealth fighter" refers to F-117 which is not a fighter but just a stealth bomber, so it has no interception capabilities.The modern multirole fighters like F-35 have stealth technologies but IMHO they are practically stealth only in bombing missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom