[RD] Abortion, once again

don't think many here need to guess, it's among the more vile institutions/setups in the us. and that's saying something. bit tangential to abortions though.

It makes more sense if you view forced birth as a punishment on unwise sexual behavior

Jesus, that's detestable...

I spent a lot of time as a teenager in psychiatric facilities with other minors. It's detestable and it's devastating for the victims. And it's far more common than most people realize.

It makes more sense if you view forced birth as a punishment on unwise sexual behavior

barely, if at all. that punishment applies to much more than 1-2 people who acted unwisely.

the child might or might not have a reasonable chance in life, but unwanted pregnancy is often going to result in more single parenting/welfare state outcomes too. a lot more people pay for that than the mother, and not just in the monetary sense. though arbitrary law hurting the mother directly shouldn't be discounted either, there are lots of reasons to reject forced birth as a legit "punishment". it's bad policy for both parent and taxpayer. unless you implicate religious/non-empirical beliefs, it seems to be bad policy in a strict sense...not a functional way to apply punishment or create incentive structures that lead to good outcomes.

Texas suing to be able to let pregnant women die

The US state of Texas has sued the Biden administration over recent federal guidelines directing doctors to perform emergency abortions in cases where the life of a pregnant patient is at risk.

Earlier this week, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) advised that a federal law protecting patients’ access to emergency treatment requires abortions to be performed when doctors believe a person’s life or health is in danger.

The Biden administration has argued the requirement applies even in states where abortion is now banned in nearly all circumstances following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v Wade, the 1973 case that guaranteed the right to an abortion in the United States.

The guidance applies “irrespective of any state laws or mandates that apply to specific procedures”, HHS said in a memo (PDF) on Monday.

“If a physician believes that a pregnant patient presenting at an emergency department is experiencing an emergency medical condition … and that abortion is the stabilizing treatment necessary to resolve that condition, the physician must provide that treatment.”

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced the lawsuit on Thursday, accusing the Biden administration of attempting to “transform every emergency room in the country into a walk-in abortion clinic”.​

wow, texas actually went full malta

i don't know what scotus would do, but texas is suing to violate self defense among others. it's stupid and it should fail badly in that case. should.

the case in ohio just keeps piling on the weird. the guy who raped the girl might have been staying with them? a few other considerations there too. makes an already awful case seem even worse.

Last edited:
the case in ohio just keeps piling on the weird. the guy who raped the girl might have been staying with them? a few other considerations there too. makes an already awful case seem even worse.
Yeah, but FoxNews says it all fake. Never happened. I'm waiting for the retraction.

So if an illegal alien raped a 10 year old and she is forced to give birth, does that mean the anchor baby gives him a right to stay in the U.S.?

Raping one's way to a green card! Good work GOP.

Fifteen years ago yesterday, candidate Obama promised that he would sign the Freedom of Choice Act on his first day in office. He reiterated this commitment throughout his campaign. The Freedom of Choice Act would have ensured reproductive choice was cemented in federal statute.
Despite both control of the executive and legislative branches, the 2009 Democrats failed to act on the Freedom of Choice Act, stating it was not a priority.
In the wake of Dobbs, we should consider not only those who stated they would, and did, overturn Roe, but also those who repeatedly stated they would defend reproductive rights but did not.

In the wake of Dobbs, we should consider not only those who stated they would, and did, overturn Roe, but also those who repeatedly stated they would defend reproductive rights but did not.
Yes, don't vote for Obama for president again. He had his chance.

Raping one's way to a green card! Good work GOP.
that current policy suggests this is a possibility is an indictment of current policy. though i recall that getting a green card out of this sequence is not a gop stance.

So if an illegal alien raped a 10 year old and she is forced to give birth, does that mean the anchor baby gives him a right to stay in the U.S.?

that current policy suggests this is a possibility is an indictment of current policy. though i recall that getting a green card out of this sequence is not a gop stance.
But the GOP is setting the stage for that to happen. Law of unintended consequences. :p

Yes, don't vote for Obama for president again. He had his chance.

Both houses of congress and the White House right now. Wait, right. Those Republicans. Rape anchor babies, that about sums it up.

I find it weird that this all happens while the Democrats have the power, such as it is. Yet, we don't talk about this governance as if it is the government that one would elect Democrats to provide? Seems exactly on expectations.

Here: I'm going to go out on a limb and issue more credit than usual for a political party. I think generally they're hitting what they're aiming for.

Last edited:
Fifteen years ago yesterday, candidate Obama promised that he would sign the Freedom of Choice Act on his first day in office. He reiterated this commitment throughout his campaign. The Freedom of Choice Act would have ensured reproductive choice was cemented in federal statute.
Despite both control of the executive and legislative branches, the 2009 Democrats failed to act on the Freedom of Choice Act, stating it was not a priority.

The Supreme Court would have simply overturned any federal law the Democrats passed to protect abortion rights.

Who knows? The Court with Republican nominees generated from whole cloth a federal right over state level legislated restrictions. After 50 years of contention the Court, again with Republican nominees, has sent the question of applicable rights back to legislation with the states. I can see why the hypothetical is the language being spoken in.

Yes, a nation with 330 million people and fifty states needs 50 different laws regarding forced birth or choice. And might as well add fifty different rules on who can vote and when.

Seems like maybe there should exist the concept of having a legislated solution in some way, yes.

The technologies have changed, the issue is relevant today. It needs addressed, today. It will need readdressed, tomorrow. The todays are first.

But the GOP is setting the stage for that to happen. Law of unintended consequences. :p
maybe. though i'm a bit more friendly to the idea of controlling who crosses our border a lot more carefully than i am using fully arbitrary designations for personhood that screw people over for no reason.

i would prefer if it did not take awful crimes or tragedy to get policy going, and if policy proposals actually tracked to expected consequences in a measurable way.

Top Bottom