Achtung Hitlerwagon!

Equuleus

King
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8375046.stm

A German antique car dealer claims he has tracked down a Mercedes convertible owned by Adolf Hitler.

The Dusseldorf-based dealer, Michael Froelich, says he found the car locked in a collector's garage.

He verified the ownership of the dark blue Mercedes 770K using the vehicle's original documents and old photos.

After the war, the car was sold in Austria, before being shipped to a car museum in Las Vegas, and then returning to Germany.

The German news agency, DPA, said the car weighs five tonnes because of its armour-plating - including bodywork in 18mm-gauge steel, and 4cm thick windows.

The agency said the car had been ordered in 1935 and was a familiar sight on newsreels showing the Nazi leader reviewing his troops.

The dealer, Michael Froelich, told the Cologne-based Express newspaper: "On Wednesday I got a tip-off whom it had been sold to. It belonged to a private collector and was in a garage in Bielefeld (in western Germany).

"I checked with prosecutors... whether the deal was illegal. They raised no objections as long as there were no Nazi symbols visible."

Mr Froelich claims he is working on behalf of an unnamed Russian billionaire who is also interested in buying several other cars which belonged to Nazi officials.

Press reports claimed Hitler's car itself was worth between four and 10m euros ($6-15m; £3.6-9m).

If I were a billionaire buying Hitler's car, I would have it crushed into a cube in front of me while an antique phonograph played deutschlandlied and I ate popcorn.

If I were a billionaire buying Hitler's car, I would have it crushed into a cube in front of me while an antique phonograph played deutschlandlied and I ate popcorn.
well, if i were a billionaire buying hitler's car, i would drive it over my polish's neighbors' petunias while laughing maniacally.

I can see no other reason to own the vehicle than to feel some kind of connection to history and/or a man. In this case, the history is atrocious and the man is detestable. I must concur with Equuleus, the car ought to be destroyed. We must not forget the past, but collector's items such as this only serve to stroke the fancy of a person infatuated with such evils.

Just because you're interested by the deeds of evil people does not mean that you have any desire to commit evil acts yourself.

I second the maniacal flowerbed vandalism idea.

Was it just bought by Herman van Rompuy?

I think Mercedes should come out with a line of "New Hitlerwagon" cars that retain some of the styles of the original.

Worked for VW with the Beetle.

"I checked with prosecutors... whether the deal was illegal. They raised no objections as long as there were no Nazi symbols visible."
:lol:

I rather own a TIGER

I think it's a pretty sweet car :blush:

Strip of the armour (if possible) and you have a kick-ass ride.

Just don't ever, ever (!) sit in the back in one of these. Jeremy Clarkson is wise!

Ziggy Stardust said:
Strip of the armour (if possible) and you have a kick-ass ride.

Sufficient, I should hope, to roll over Poland in one day, instead of the past which took all of two days :mischief:

cue the 'Doppelvergaser' and 'Hakenkreuzschaltung' jokes :cringe:

Why would you strip the armor? Can you not imagine the advantages of having a mighty armored Hitlermobile?

I can't recall the last time I thought, hey, I could really use an armoured car right now. :)

Do you ever plan on driving through Detroit or Eastern Europe?

What a waste of a good car.

I can't recall the last time I thought, hey, I could really use an armoured car right now. :)

It's heavy,

Robbing a back, what Godwyn said, invading a neighboring country at the head of your fearsome mechanized army, and a high speed car chase involving James Bond.

Top Bottom