1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-On Pack 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 30, 2007.

1. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

Wow, I'm midway through a warlord-level game as Germany using the open-end events, and so far it is great! The units are interesting and powerful. The winter effects are challenging. The tech advancement is fun and doesn't allow one to get all of the techs, you do have to make an informed choice.

But I do have a complaint, though maybe it is not something the mod can fix. It is about open borders. 1) I can understand not being able to negotiate open borders with countries that are hostile, but why won't the Fascist countries even negotiate about it with Germany? They won't even put a price on it, even though I have not attacked them or done any espionage against them. 2) Why is it that enemies can attack me from other countries if they have open borders with them, but I cannot attack them back? There is a glitch though where I can direct-assault them but not bomb or bombard them -- precision strike isn't allowed, but border incursion is?

Also, why does extorting $$$ in tribute cause an undeclared peace treaty? Makes sense perhaps as a deterent to extortion, but it should at least auto-fill peace treaty on the trade screen before you make a demand. Again, maybe not something the mod can fix.

I'll also echo the cultural border issue raised elsewhere. It doesn't make sense for neighboring countries to be able to absorb newly conquered cities and cut off armies, yet I cannot increase the culture of that city in any kind of meaningful sense. I build theatres first, even have them build culture, almost all of my other cities have radio and universities, and my slider is usually producing culture, yet Germany's culture cannot compete with Finland or Sweden? I can solve it by conquering them, but that isn't the point.

2. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Dale,

Can you share with us the things you are changing in the upcoming patch beta, and when you expect it to be ready?

I don't mean to be a pain, (though I am...) but I am making some changes on my own, and don't want to "re-invent the wheel" if you are doing the same thing.

Thanks.

3. tajjuk

tajjuk Chieftain

Hi i have the add on pack but cannot seem to get it to work for multiplayer over a lan, no game comes up in the lobby but if we do a normal game using beyond the sword it works, even with scenarios, is there any reason for this?

4. bergrar

bergrar Warlord

i like the ww2 mods and Dale did a great job , but, and i am really sorry when i use a but :) becouse i know how much work is hided in a mod, the mod is too easy and the ai is not a lot smart:)
    i am playing it at monarch but now i will try it at emperor, perhaps some changes to make ai more harder can help this nice mod to run better.
    is only my point of view, but perhaps i ask too much to civ4 add ons or i played civ too much :)
    thx Wotan for all ur kind answers to my dumb questions :p

5. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

It's being fixed for the next add on pack: check out this thread.

6. Dale

Dale Deity

Should be out this week. :)

This changelog has beta 2 stuff in it as well, so just compare the two to find the differences.

Change Log:

- NEW: Full Intro Movie (with two types of music at random)
    - NEW: Cutscene Movies (two for each theatre)
    - NEW: Code Breaker (improved C3I & logistics)
    - NEW: Anti Tank Gun (early artillery)
    - NEW: Tank Destroyer (tank guns & destroyers)
    - NEW: Chiang Kai-shek, Hitler & Hirohito added
    - NEW: USSR invades Poland! (fortnight 2 September 1939)
    - NEW: UU graphics (most, some units don't have any)
    - NEW: Captured cities gain 500 culture
    - NEW: Settlers for "Open Play" mode & random maps
    - NEW: Can now play random maps & pre-made maps
    - NEW: BtS events converted to RtW

- CHANGE: Can now play ALL nations
    - CHANGE: MP enabled
    - CHANGE: Moved intro text before Dawn of Man (instead of turn 1)
    - CHANGE: Moved mode chooser to turn 1 (instead of turn 2)
    - CHANGE: Infantry get bonus versus siege units
    - CHANGE: Siege get bonus versus armor
    - CHANGE: Armor get no bonus versus other types
    - CHANGE: Anti Air get bonus versus air
    - CHANGE: Iberia now called Nationalist Iberia
    - CHANGE: China now called Peoples Republic of China
    - CHANGE: German flag now swastika
    - CHANGE: Unit costs (EG: tanks more expense)
    - CHANGE: PzIV's slightly nerfed
    - CHANGE: Cavalry moves = 3 (was 2)
    - CHANGE: Medium Tanks moves = 3 (was 4)
    - CHANGE: Broadcast towers gives loads of espionage benefits now (and generate Great Spys)
    - CHANGE: Bitter Winter affected area increased (as intended originally, but with turn-speed slowdown)
    - CHANGE: Nations don't speak American any longer, speak their language (or closest)
    - CHANGE: Great People from the era
    - CHANGE: Bombers no longer carry units
    - CHANGE: City/colony/distance maintenance costs reduced
    - CHANGE: Finland-German open borders for Continuation War
    - CHANGE: War Weariness nerfed
    - CHANGE: Tweaked artillery bombardment
    - CHANGE: AI will build a lot more fighters
    - CHANGE: English infantry now Commonwealth infantry
    - CHANGE: AI more aggressive and handles naval invasions

- BUGFIX: Spies now invisible (including GS)
    - BUGFIX: Sea trade routes fixed (oil fix)
    - BUGFIX: People's Republic of China now Republic of China (with correct flag)
    - BUGFIX: BF-109 fighter now before FW-190
    - BUGFIX: Chairman Zedong now Chairman Mao
    - BUGFIX: Anti Air units can now be put into Interception mode correctly
    - BUGFIX: Anti Air units can no longer bombard
    - BUGFIX: Destroyers cannot bombard
    - BUGFIX: Winter terrains fixed
    - BUGFIX: All processes now convert production at a rate of 100%
    - BUGFIX: Spelling/grammar mistakes
    - BUGFIX: Contains "Solver's unofficial patch"
    - BUGFIX: Losing ability to build nukes fixed
    - BUGFIX: AI Airbombing (AI will now actually factory and civil bomb!)

7. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

Thanks Dale for the info. I am so curious about the random maps!! I mean they are still limited to the same historic period, aren't they? I like that you tweaked the AI. I hope now it will get really into the mode of war.

By the way did you think of setting some timely targets for the AI based on nation and history. I mean it is not always enough for the AI to be in a state of war to do the right thing it might need a little guidance.

8. Dale

Dale Deity

In the mod if you click "Play Now" the date will begin as Fortnight 1 January 1900. Yes, it's about 30 years out by the techtree, but there's a specific reason I wanted to have the mod start in 1900. ;) Also, the mod will run till Fortnight 2 December 1950.

I'm finding that even without putting in AI direction, that it's still doing a good job. In my last three Europe tests, Germany has performed invasions of Norway and British Isles in 1940, and even pushes troops (with Italy) into the Med and North Africa. Ever seen a Germany AI take Crete and Cyprus? :)

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the tweaked AI. ;)

9. Jagordon

Jagordon Chieftain

I have found a bug and not sure it has been reported yet.

If you kill every ground unit in a city through artillery bombardment and there is an airplane there you can't conquer the city.

10. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

I don't think it is because of the plane. I guess artillery can't capture cities. If they can this would be a bug.

11. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

Hmmm let me see 24x50 is this 1200 turns total! Awesome, I love long games and with RtW even love it more.

About techtree can't you enable some of the ones in the game suitable for the time. I mean shouldn't we have WWI units first then get the WWII ones. Maybe a later scenario for WWI ;) . It is quite a hot, intensive, and rich period. I can see unlimited possibilities for historic events and many scenarios.

I just feel that you do have something in your mind otherwise why 1900 ;) .

I am sure you have done excellent job with the AI. The idea of targets or programmed events is actually for pushing things toward historic realism. Germans in Miami-Florida is quite funny and fun but the Allies in Normandy in 1942 would be cool as well. Anyway, I trust your decisions and while we enjoy playing the mod we can always come back and ask for more :D

12. Dale

Dale Deity

Yep. :)

:hide: :D

Don't you mean June 1944? ;)

Anyways, the Allies do a good job on the western front to help out USSR. Also, with the WW and distance/colony maintenance changes it also helps out the two east/west Allies.

Just have a play with beta 3 when it comes out and let me know. :)

13. Dale

Dale Deity

Also note (not mentioned in the changelog above as I just did it), I've converted the paratrooper routines over to the standard BtS ones. In RtW they were using my routines (as paras were implemented late in the BtS dev cycle).

So when beta 3 comes out, keep an eye on AI usage of paras. They should use them now (as well as spy para missions).

14. Dale

Dale Deity

I've tested this in beta 3 (which is in final testing) and this is fixed.

Remember that artillery cannot perform a combat move (attacking or capturing a surrendering unit [like workers/air]) if the artillery unit has already bombarded first. This is deliberate and not a bug. You can capture the city with a fresh unit (which tackles the air unit).

IRL you would NEVER move an artillery unit that's already fired against enemy positions until it had been re-supplied. This is how I interpreted the concept. :)

15. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Looking forward to it. Thanks Dale.

16. Jagordon

Jagordon Chieftain

No I couldn't move any unit into the city to capture it when there was only a fighter after I killed the units in the city with artillery.

17. Dale

Dale Deity

Thanks, it's fixed in beta 3 anyways. I'm pretty sure Solver's fixes did something to fix it. :)

18. Dale

Dale Deity

I believe I've fixed PBEM for historical and open modes. I highly doubt random events will work as expected though.

19. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

I am not actually interested in BTS random events unless you have replaced them with meaningful ones.

Now, when this Beta will be out? I am not pushing. I just can't wait.

20. Tapok

Tapok Chieftain

Goddamn, this is hard when you play as Poland. You get tank rushed in the first 3 turns!