AG3 - Ultra Big Map (Portugal - demigod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer my own question:

I am guessing the civ programmers use bits to encode information. For example, 5 bits for civs gives a maximumum of 2*2*2*2*2 = 32, 9 bits for cities 2^9 = 512 cities, 11 or 12 bits for unit which is 2048 or 4196 max units.

Well I posit that they use 17 bits for the squares on the map which is 131072. 362*362 = 131044 which is just a bit less than this number.

[Edit: Not sure how they changed, but I got my normal font back- removed question].

Your build order looks good to me. I would go wheel, we can use faster units. Lighthouse sounds good to me.

CB @ max, then stay on that tree! Even Myst can be a powerful trading tech!

build order: more scouts!

I settle on the spot and see a third wheat in our borders (when expaned). I go maximum research on the wheel. First thing to build is a curragh. The scout goes east.

Turn 1 (3950 BC) The scout climbs to a mountaintop and sees a cattle, a second river and foodplains.

Turn 2 (3900 BC) Another mountaintop reveals wines and a goody hut.

Turn 3 (3850 BC) Our scout pops a settler [dance]

Turn 4 (3800 BC) More grassland discovered and we see that we are close to the jungle.

Turn 5 (3750 BC) Oporto founded. Starts with scout.

Turn 6 (3700 BC) Lisbon grows to size 2. Lux tax to 20%.

Turn 9 (3550 BC) Second goody hut found.

IT: Lisbon: curragh->curragh. Oporto: scout->scout.

Turn 10 (3500 BC) Curragh goes west and meets the Koreans on -I think- another landmass. They know Bronze working and Ceremonial Burial, but I don't want to trade yet. I hope to meet a few other civs first. Our scout pops a warrior that immediately goes to Lisbon.

Turn 11 (3450 BC) Lisbon grows to size 3 but luxury can stay at 20%.

Turn 12, 13, 14 (3400, 3350, 3300 BC) We see more rivers and foodplains, but also hut the desert.

IT: We discover Ceremonial Burial and next up is the Wheel. Oporto: scout->worker.

Turn 15 (3250 BC) Scout pops a hut and we get a city in the middle of the desert (Guimaraes) :o This should grow to size 2 and then turned into a settler to replace. Lisbon is size 4 now and lux goes to 30%.

IT: Lisbon: curragh->warrior.

Turn 16 (3200 BC) Two wheat are irrigated. I assume that we now need shields.

Turn 17 (3150 BC) Scouts see two new goody huts!

Turn 18 (3100 BC) One scout pops Warrior Code. Another one pops Mystisicm. Warrior arrives in Lisbon, luxury still at 30% for size two Oporto.

IT: Lisbon: warrior->settler. The city should be slowed down in growth imho before starting a granary.

Turn 19 (3050 BC) Warrior goes to Oporto.

IT: Oporto: worker->barracks.

Turn 20 (3000 BC) One scout sees another goody hut.

IT: List of the Largest Nations in the world:

-Aztecs
-Arabs
-Russians
-Celts
-Sumerians
-Inca
-Byzantines
-Dutch

Turn 21 (2950 BC) Goody hut gives us 25 gold. Yet another goody hut gives us a warrior. He also goes to our homeland.

Turn 23 (2850 BC) Lisbon is size 6. Lux to 40%.

Turn 24 (2800 BC) I finally meet other people. The Vikings are relatively close to us. They have BW and The Wheel over us. Korea only has knowledge of BW.
I sell the Vikings the knowledge of Mystisicm for The Wheel and 19 gold. Korea gets The Wheel for Bronze Working and 10 gold. Korea and the Vikings live on the same landmass, so we are lucky to make this deal.

We have discovered a lot of land, but NO HORSES in sight :o

IT: Lisbon: settler->granary. Oporto: scout->barracks.

Turn 25 (2750 BC) Scout finds a new hut.

Our science advisor tells us that we are technologically advanced.

The save and pictures follow shortly!

Originally posted by carlosMM
itchy mouse fingers, hu, meli? wanna civ, hu?

:lol:

Bah. Go hit some rocks... :p

I am now up in 2 SG's and have just finished my turns in AG2, hope everyone likes 8 turns of anarchy btw :o

Originally posted by Melifluous
Bah. Go hit some rocks... :p
roger, wilco!

I am now up in 2 SG's and have just finished my turns in AG2, hope everyone likes 8 turns of anarchy btw :o
tsk tsk tsk......

domecracy is expensive.....

Expansionist trait on this map is very useful. Not having horses on a big map however is less than useful :)

I think it's a little early to decide how lucky we've been.

I can't see what we are currently researching in the turnlog. Polytheism?

Originally posted by mad-bax
Expansionist trait on this map is very useful. Not having horses on a big map however is less than useful :)

I think it's a little early to decide how lucky we've been.

I can't see what we are currently researching in the turnlog. Polytheism?

If that only were true ;) No we are now researching Iron Working, which was automatically picked and I forgot to check :o

EDIT: I mixed Poly up with Philo :blush: We can still swap to Poly... We only went one turn into IW.

aggie, go miss as many tiles as you like! overlap is far worse on these maps than missing a few non-bonus tiles.

Can't complain about that start at all! :D [dance] That jungle and desert looks pretty ugly - we'll miss not being agricultural and/or Industrious there. Lots of oasises in the desert which helps some.

Luckily most of the trees are normal forest, not jungle :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that both curraghs now are probably exporing an island which is NOT ours. I guess one of them should return/cross the sea to do a proper mapping of our OWN continent.

EDIT2: Guimaraes is about to riot! I suggest a scientist there :)

EDIT3: I was too hasty with 2750 BC. Lux tax can go down!

aggie: let them go, build a new one I'd say.

trees indeed look treish, not junglish ;)

If it were me I'd have built Oporto one tile SW, and build the red dot one tile SW too. It would waste fewer tiles.

By the way how many CIVs have we met? Korea is not Expansionist (forget Vikings), so they must be close by. I have a feeling they are just somewhere in the fog left to the desert city. But in any case, looks like we have plenty of land to settle.

We have no horses? Fine. But we have to get iron. So Iron Working is fine I think. Hopefully one of those 6 mountains will have it. :D

why 'waste' fewer plains? plains suck! We must get bonus grass ONLY if we can in any way ;)

OK, OK; overdoing it a bit. But on maps of this size, distance corruption plays no role at all in the core. A few tiles more or less makes no difference at all, but the ultimate size and production power of the cities - in modern times - that WILL be a big matter!
Remember, only 512 cities on the entire map!

What does that mean?

- no tundra or desert cities EVER! If we get one, get a settler into a better spot, abandon the old town and immediately build a new one in a lush spot.
- lots of colonies! They are NOT in danger once there are 512 cities!
all the res in poor places like tundra and desert must be connected by colonies, not cities!

Trust me, I followed this in K8 and got a 7% increase in overall possible tax and prod out of disbanding 'poor' cities and relocating to green lands!

I settled Oporto before I saw the entire picture. It was a very early popped hut! So I then had to adjust and come up with a different dotmap suggestion. But your points are very valid microbe.

This is the Korean and Sandinavian (is?)land. The arrow to the north points to Korea. In the south is Scandinavia.

Would someone please upload the start file. I'd like to play along on this one.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom