AG3 - Ultra Big Map (Portugal - demigod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - Enjoy the game, I'll be lurking along

carlosMM:

I must admit I don't have experience with such a big map (I used to play huge and now large only), but just a few points that I want to make:

1. floodplains make great worker/settler factory. Looking at the map, there is no civ nearby on our landmass, so we can build a lot of cities. We need those floodplains, and need them immediately - the original dotmap requires a temple first to pull in those tiles. That's why I would like the red dot to be moved one tile to SW. Plus, which city we'd like to build Great Lighthouse? If it's the capital, we have to set up another settler factory asap (by whipping a granary as soon as possible).

2. When I need to make a choice between "two cities overlapping one or two tiles" and "no overlap but waste 2 good tiles", I usually go for the first, since IMHO shields are not so important once you reach size 12 (and with factory and power plants running), and using those two tiles may bring more benefit to Ancient and Middle Ages.

On a second thought, I even want to found a city 3 tiles SW to the red dot - that would pull in 8 (someone verifies this please, I am at work and cannot load the save - is a tile a floodplan if the river only runs across the corner?) floodplains immmediately. With irrigation it could pop up settlers/workers like crazy.

This means the whole dotmap would have to be adjusted..

EDIT: take this as a grain of salt. We need to find a balance between food and shield (we don't really need that many floodplains).

Originally posted by Aggie
If you do that you either miss the cattle square south (when you move the blue dot 2 SW on the hill) of Oporto or have extreme overlap with a city to the south west (when you leave the blue dot where it is).

You are right Aggie. 3 tiles to SW is not a good idea, mainly because we don't need that many floodplains (we'll also need shields to build anything :D).

My main point is we could pull in more floodplains (one tile to SW would get 3, which is also very nice already) and find a balance between food and shield for an optimal settler factory.

Since I cannot load the save here I'm just talking without checking :blush:.

Originally posted by Aggie
I can tell you that I have tried for half an hour to make a good dotmap (with at least 5 cities) and it turned out very unsatisfying :( It is not easy with the desert in the south east and the sea in the west.

Let's stick to your dotmap then, with just reddot one tile to SW.

If we do that, that would make a +5 food if we irrigate everything, which means 4 turns a settler with a granary - but apparently we then are short of shields. So 3 floodplains are good enough. It's more suitable for a worker factory instead of settler..

Too bad the cattle is too far away from the flood.

If we don't move the reddot, on the other hand, we have to build a temple first, but then we have 3 floodplains PLUS the cattle all in our border, so in the end it would be a better. This would take much longer to setup, however..

Actually I like red dot where it is. 2 mountains, 3 floodplains and the cattle will make it a good city. Give it only one mountain and its a bit shield poor IMO.

One thing to kjeep in mind:

there is NO reason why we can't settle a settler factor now in a max grow place (lots fo floodplains), then later disband it!

Very interesting discussion! :goodjob:

Shame it all occured after I had played my 15 turns :p

I am at work atm but will post my turns at lunch (in about 2 hours).

Quick quiz. What has happened?

A) We meet 3 other civs on our island.
B) Massive SoD heads for Guimares.
C) We pop 4 more techs including Philosophy.
D) We have iron really close.
E) Vikings demand tech and declare war.

Wadya reckon?

Melifluous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom