Alabama police officer arrested after Indian grandfather left partially paralyzed

Obviously the real victim here is the cop

This is probably good time to admit I wasn't being entirely serious.

Ah, the internet. Where an Estonian and a Yugo-German try to solve America's police brutality problem without any body language.

Serbo-Croat mongrel with Bosnian 'roots' (ie, that's where my parent's hometowns are now), but so culturally German that it's not even funny. Probably typical overcompensation for 50% of all children of immigrants.

but so culturally German that it's not even funny.

Does that imply that Germans who are funny for their Germanness are not properly Germanised? :D

Does that imply that Germans who are funny for their Germanness are not properly Germanised? :D

Just a figure of speech. Some of my German friends find it very funny how annoyed I get when we have an appointment and I'm the only one who isn't late.

Seems US desperately needs to cut down police funding.

If I called police to report someone "just wandering around", they'd most likely suggest that I "relax".

"911? I'm calling to report that I see a man."

"Is he white?"

".. It's hard to tell, but he might just be tanned."

"This sounds serious, we're sending 2 tactical units, 17 canine units, a robot, and attack helicopters. STAND BY. And prepare to be shot."

Maybe he will be charged and to stand trial, then
threaten to expose common-practise in police so as to help his own case, then
happen to feel huge remorse and commit suicide in his cell.

And you're the one that can't handle that people lose fingers at work from time to time? :crazyeye:

And you're the one that can't handle that people lose fingers at work from time to time? :crazyeye:

Why not?
Obviously i am not defending any violence or maiming. So where is the break there? (afaik it was obvious i meant that if it threatened the police looking even worse, they would rather kill (suicide) one of their officers than suffer more).

(if you mean my imagination, yeah, i write horror anyway ^^ ).

I'm just confused. You shied away from conversation revolving around happy and productive people who live with injuries and you regularly post supremely macabre threads. I'm not catching the rhythm of the dance.

I'm just confused. You shied away from conversation revolving around happy and productive people who live with injuries and you regularly post supremely macabre threads. I'm not catching the rhythm of the dance.

Mostly it can be generalised as:
I am more comfortable with imagining violence/death/similar than identifying it to a reality.

That said, re people who lost limbs, what i had noted is that i personally feel bad with that, not that they should feel so. Afterall what they feel is not what i or anyone else (or any other of them) feels in a given state, including losing a limb.

Yes, i find it scary, but not due to them. Entirely due to own fears, as i think it is pretty usual if not utterly natural. I do not - of course - dislike people on account of them having any sort of somatic loss or likewise..

Mostly it can be generalised as:
I am more comfortable with imagining violence/death/similar than identifying it to a reality.

I guess that's my point of confusion. I don't mind that you make the threads, these are important things. There should be threads. But the dead guy with the rocks? Antonio Zambrano-Montes is a real dead man in my country. This Indian fella? Sureshbhai Patel is a real paralyzed grandfather on my country's streets. James M. Boyd was a real man I saw murdered after following video links here unwisely. Are we really just imagining violence? I think we're viewing it in the digital Colosseum.

I guess that's my point of confusion. I don't mind that you make the threads, these are important things. There should be threads. But the dead guy with the rocks? Antonio Zambrano-Montes is a real dead man in my country. This Indian fella? Sureshbhai Patel is a real paralyzed grandfather on my country's streets. James M. Boyd was a real man I saw murdered after following video links here unwisely. Are we really just imagining violence? I think we're viewing it in the digital Colosseum.

Yes, they are real. On the other hand they are also dead :(
I don't think that i would ever start a thread about the ongoing strife (even if the person himself/herself had little to none of strife) of some victim of a horrible accident or violence leaving them with a loss of that kind.

Then again it is not like i insist on examining the exact trigger of negative emotions for myself on such issues or most others. Analysing never seems to end. On that front i am currently content that i no longer feel strongly in actual meeting with people who have such situations (eg people on wheelchairs).

Back on topic, something just struck me about this thread vis-à-vis the thread where we are discussing the police shooting of the guy for rock throwing ... The police here didn't shoot the guy to death, he just slammed him to the ground causing paralysis. I guess if he had tried to run away for fear of being paralyzed then he would have been shot in the back and killed instead:(...

And if Antonio Zambrano-Montes had given up peacefully like Sureshbhai Patel, then he would have been slammed to the ground and paralyzed for his trouble... Sounds like having an encounter with the police is a lose-lose proposition...

Sounds like having an encounter with the police is a lose-lose proposition...
Essentially. Aside from use of force, many US police departments and court systems get some funding from fees and property seizures, so even if you're proven innocent or charges are dropped you have to pay for your time spent in the system.

The Washington Post said:
Stop and seize: Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes

Michael Sallah, Robert O’Harrow Jr., Steven Rich
6 Sept 2014

After the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, the government called on police to become the eyes and ears of homeland security on America’s highways.

Local officers, county deputies and state troopers were encouraged to act more aggressively in searching for suspicious people, drugs and other contraband. The departments of Homeland Security and Justice spent millions on police training.

The effort succeeded, but it had an impact that has been largely hidden from public view: the spread of an aggressive brand of policing that has spurred the seizure of hundreds of millions of dollars in cash from motorists and others not charged with crimes, a Washington Post investigation found. Thousands of people have been forced to fight legal battles that can last more than a year to get their money back.

[Cont.]

NPR said:
Jail Time For Unpaid Court Fines And Fees Can Create Cycle Of Poverty

Joseph Shapiro
09 Feb 15

On a night last week when the temperature dropped to 17 degrees, Edward Brown, who's 62 and homeless, slept at the bus stop in front of the Jennings, Mo., city hall in St. Louis County.

"It was cold, very cold," he says. "It's so cold I can't really move so I kept playing with my feet — rubbing 'em, twisting 'em, trying to keep warm."

Brown's troubles started when he tried to fight the city of Jennings, and his story shows how court fines and fees can grow, turning an impoverished person's life upside down.

[Cont.]

I've had one negative encounter with the police. I've had a couple neutral ones, and on most occasions they've been helpful. I particularly appreciated it when they unlocked my wife's car for her when she was a couple hours away from home, it was nice when they parked at the end of the driveway to scare off the snowmobilers that were kicking our dog as they buzzed around the farmstead, it was nice when I threw a belt before I owned a cell phone and one called a tow for me.

It's kind of a mixed bag. It's just so very bad when it's bad.

I've had one negative encounter with the police. I've had a couple neutral ones, and on most occasions they've been helpful. I particularly appreciated it when they unlocked my wife's car for her when she was a couple hours away from home, it was nice when they parked at the end of the driveway to scare off the snowmobilers that were kicking our dog as they buzzed around the farmstead, it was nice when I threw a belt before I owned a cell phone and one called a tow for me.

It's kind of a mixed bag. It's just so very bad when it's bad.
It hasn't been as much of a mixed bag for me. For the first 3 years that I had my drivers license ( I got it at 17) I was pulled over quite literally every month at least once, and never ticketed. They just luv'd pulling me over for some reason... They would say things like... "You match the description of" or "you appeared to be driving erratically" or "I need to check to make sure your signal lights are working properly" or "You were driving too slow:confused:", or my personal favourite... "Where ya headed? Where are you coming from? :crazyeye:" After those kinds of inquiries, they would just let me go, always (without exception) with the admonition to "Stay out of trouble"... Yeah thanks:rolleyes:, so why did you pull me over again:shake:?

That kind of thing doesn't happen to me much anymore... I recently even got a warning for speeding... my first ever warning:), because it was my birthday, but I am like 20 years older now so...

I guess if "negative encounter" means "killed or paralyzed" then I haven't had any negative encounters. If it means "unfriendly, non-helpful" then I have had almost all negative encounters.

It hasn't been as much of a mixed bag for me. For the first 3 years that I had my drivers license ( I got it at 17) I was pulled over quite literally every month at least once, and never ticketed. They just luv'd pulling me over for some reason... They would say things like... "You match the description of" or "you appeared to be driving erratically" or "I need to check to make sure your signal lights are working properly" or "You were driving too slow:confused:", or my personal favourite... "Where ya headed? Where are you coming from? :crazyeye:" After those kinds of inquiries, they would just let me go, always (without exception) with the admonition to "Stay out of trouble"... Yeah thanks:rolleyes:, so why did you pull me over again:shake:?

That kind of thing doesn't happen to me much anymore... I recently even got a warning for speeding... my first ever warning:), because it was my birthday, but I am like 20 years older now so...

I guess if "negative encounter" means "killed or paralyzed" then I haven't had any negative encounters. If it means "unfriendly, non-helpful" then I have had almost all negative encounters.

Yea, I wouldn't drive around NIU on homecoming weekend if I were a black man. I do my best to avoid doing it as a white one. The tone the exchange starts out on is super duper important. I was the one "making trouble" with the noise complaint the time I got shoved down instead of helped.

Unfortunately, it is more like the common lack of sense.

I have to say though that this may not be the clear cut racism that some people are probably thinking. It is an unfortunate consequence of the false fear violent crime is at your door marketing agenda that in an affluent suburb "Honey! Honey! It's a pedestrian!!! Quick, call 911!" is not a sufficiently unlikely response to a person of any color.
Interesting that the "helpful" individual who called the cops can't tell the difference between a man who is black and a man who is East Indian.

Top Bottom