1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All things Discworld

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Takhisis, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Forty books, a few short stories, dubious reading order, and may Granny Weatherwax do her worst on you if you do something disagreeable.

Open floor.
    Spoilers allowed!

This thread founded under the benevolent auspices of Queen Esmerelda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre.

2. Morty

Morty Chieftain

Read the first half ad-hoc when at Uni, and then got the latest release in hardback every Christmas off parents. I must go back and fill in the gaps at some point!

3. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    All his life, my dad has fed an SF book-habit (also classical music on vinyl) comparable to Imelda Marcos' penchant for shoes. So he bought most of the DW novels as they were published, and (having graduated from Douglas Adams) I read them all off his shelf at least once during my early/mid-teens. (I also read the first 8 or so of Robert Asprin's 'Myth/M.Y.T.H.' books, but I always liked Pterry's stuff better).

From my early twenties onwards (once I was working!), regular and diligent scouring of the local secondhand bookshops has allowed me to (re)acquire most of the main-sequence DW novels for myself (in paperback). More recently, those from Going Postal onwards were delivered as Christmas/birthday presents (so in hardback, although I still prefer paperbacks). I'm missing 'only' Moving Pictures, The Fifth Elephant, Thief of Time*, and The Truth, and all the Tiffany Aching books except A Hat Full Of Sky (I could have sworn I also had a second TA novel, but none of the synopses on Wikipedia sound familiar).

*I did actually acquire secondhand copies of ToT and TFE -- among others -- during the 18 months I was working in Dahab,. Unfortunately, I did not own a Luggage! So to lighten my extremely excess baggage, just before I left I passed on all the paperbacks that I'd accumulated to a friend. I still occasionally kick myself about that...

I know I could almost certianly locate/order the missing titles over the internet, but some of the fun of this little project is the physical search itself: so resorting to Amazon (quite apart from all the problematic financial/ethical aspects) just feels like cheating. Also, while browsing an actual bookshelf, I often find other books/authors that pique my interest (as opposed to having things shoved at me by a 'smart' algorithm).

I also have GoOd oMeNs, all 5 of The Long... books, the Bromeliad, Johnny and the Dead, Nation, A Blink of the Screen, and Dragons at Crumbling Castle.

I've never read FaustEric or The Last Hero -- mostly because (to the best of my recollection) I've never encountered a copy of either of them. And though I remember not liking Strata or The Dark Side of the Sun very much as an early teenager, I wouldn't be averse to buying/ re-reading them now, with the benefit of 30+ years' (mis)education behind me. (I might well even have read Strata before Ringworld, so some of the jokes/ parodies/ satire in there would have whooshed straight over 12 y.o. me's head). Dodger is also on my to-read list, if I can find a copy.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Oh, the Bromeliad, yes, I should reread those.

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Here's my smug claim to fame:

I proof-read Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment. So I got paid for reading Terry Pratchett. If you spot any typos in those two, it's my fault.

tjs282 likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

What edition? Corgi? I read them only a fortnight ago and they are highly re-readable.

7. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

The original edition, published by Transworld. I don't know if that's the Corgi one, but it probably is, as Corgi is an imprint of Transworld. In any case I don't think they'd reset them for subsequent editions, at least not within the UK.

I haven't read them since, as proof-reading is quite intensive and feels like rereading as you're doing it. But I should, as I thought they were both among his strongest books.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Yes, you should.

I got meself The Streets of Ankh-Morpork, yay!

tjs282 likes this.