All Things Star Trek

Not to mention assuming that the people watching the show will understand that it's in a completely different timeline/universe/reality than the movies that have been coming out recently. All while making the show look like it takes place in that exact universe

It is a Netflix Original if you don't live in Canada or the U.S.

It is? Another series I'll never get around to watching then...

It is? Another series I'll never get around to watching then...
Yeah I like to just spend 30 mins or so looking at the nice big "Netflix Original" posters they have to advertise their original series', browse through the trailers... then say "maybe tomorrow" and just go to sleep instead. Its my bedtime ritual.:p

Admittedly I do spend quite a bit of time on YouTube, but that's mainly because the videos I watch tend to be much more bite size. My Watch Later list for long videos still has over 40 I haven't seen yet. :shifty:

You know, maybe I was too harsh on the trailer. Even though everything's pointing to "meh" I guess I will somehow check this first episode out when it comes out. I think I remember hearing that the first episode will be on TV somewhere so if I can see it that way then I will bite. But the rest i might have to find alternate legal ways of viewing. I really hope they change their minds and put this thing on TV

edit: edited as to remove mention of implied piracy, but I have no idea what sort of options are going to be available to me legally otherwise so I'm not sure if I'm even going to be able to watch this or not.

Last edited:
Moderator Action: I'm sure people remember CFC's views on even mentioning piracy in a valid light.

edit: edited as to remove mention of implied piracy, but I have no idea what sort of options are going to be available to me legally otherwise so I'm not sure if I'm even going to be able to watch this or not.

I'm waiting for Blu-ray.

These episodes are going to be available on different platforms in different countries, so I just think they'll cross my path in some capacity well before they ever come out on blue ray. But if I happen to not see any of the show or read people talking about it and spoiling all the details, I would consider checking it out on blue ray in 1 year's time (or whenever)

CBS is really trying to drive this show into the ground before it ever starts. It sucks because I really want more Star Trek.
If you haven't seen any of the Star Trek Continues or Phase II/New Voyages fan films, they do quite nicely. PII/NV shut down due to the new CBS rules about not using professional actors (quite a number of ST and other genre actors have appeared in their fan films over the years, including George Takei and Walter Koenig), but their finished films should still be around online. I can recommend "World Enough and Time" and "To Serve All My Days" without reservation.

Star Trek Continues is still determined to finish all 13 of their planned episodes, although I'm not sure if/how they plan to work around the CBS guidelines. The nice thing about this series is that it literally continues from "Turnabout Intruder" - the very next bit of dialogue after sending Janice Lester off to get treatment.

Between the fan films and fanfic on several sites (plus the 100+ fanzines I have in print form), I get lots of Star Trek. I don't buy most of the novels anymore since I've run out of room to put them (make an exception for Voyager and anything written by Greg Cox, who is a member at TrekBBS and is always willing to chat with his readers about his books or anything else).

Not to mention assuming that the people watching the show will understand that it's in a completely different timeline/universe/reality than the movies that have been coming out recently. All while making the show look like it takes place in that exact universe
The hypocrisy is astounding. It looks like Abramstrek, and that desert scene in the trailer looked like a ripoff of a couple of scenes in the Dune miniseries.

If you haven't seen any of the Star Trek Continues or Phase II/New Voyages fan films, they do quite nicely. PII/NV shut down due to the new CBS rules about not using professional actors (quite a number of ST and other genre actors have appeared in their fan films over the years, including George Takei and Walter Koenig), but their finished films should still be around online. I can recommend "World Enough and Time" and "To Serve All My Days" without reservation.

Star Trek Continues is still determined to finish all 13 of their planned episodes, although I'm not sure if/how they plan to work around the CBS guidelines. The nice thing about this series is that it literally continues from "Turnabout Intruder" - the very next bit of dialogue after sending Janice Lester off to get treatment.

I'm not opposed to fan projects but have always found them to be superbly lacking in production quality and, as a result, their presented nuance. It is one of the reasons why I don't like TOS at all. It's difficult to get into the story when it's being presented in such a comically bad manner. It's also why I liked Enterprise because, while the story had its weird little pitfalls, it was presented well.

The best fan project I saw was that Axanar pilot. It was still eh but presentable. Then CBS happened.

I'm not opposed to fan projects but have always found them to be superbly lacking in production quality and, as a result, their presented nuance. It is one of the reasons why I don't like TOS at all. It's difficult to get into the story when it's being presented in such a comically bad manner. It's also why I liked Enterprise because, while the story had its weird little pitfalls, it was presented well.

The best fan project I saw was that Axanar pilot. It was still eh but presentable. Then CBS happened.
I have my doubts that Axanar ever would have happened, other than the pilot and trailer. Alec Peters had expensive tastes and diverted most of the donated money to things like fancy office renovations and paying himself a generous salary (to the tune of $38K/year - and that amount in USD seems pretty generous to me, considering that fan films are supposed to be a volunteer effort unless you have to pay a pro actor).

I do recommend giving Star Trek Continues a chance. Or if the effects are what you like, the PII/NV ones are pretty good (note that I'm not any sort of expert, but people who do know what they're talking about have praised Tobias Richter for his excellent work).

TNG Season One, 1987-88

Encounter at Farpoint –
Star Trek is back (again), rolling out of the gate with an intro that evokes Carl Sagan and "Cosmos". Gene Roddenberry wanted a one hour pilot for TNG, presumably so that he could have the full twenty-six episodes instead of twenty-four plus one bloated entry. Paramount didn't budge, so Roddenberry revised D.C. Fontana's script to give more time to introduce characters, as well as include a subplot involving Q judging all humans as savages. It's a big pilot that doesn't always succeed at its goals, but then again, its outside pressures are almost unfair. In addition to all the usual challenges of introducing a new setting and cast to discerning audiences, "Farpoint" also has to feel like the fourth season of a twenty year old show for its core crowd of fans, as well as attracting viewers away from network shows. On top of this, Gene wants to be absolutely certain that we get what he wants to tell us: humanity is worth it, God is a tyrant, and the saucer can separate. THE SAUCER CAN SEPARATE, all right?

As a result, the story is all over the place until it can settle into Fontana's original script. And yet, the moments along the way really help to get us to like these new characters without mentioning any of the Original Series roster by name. Just about everyone has enough time to squeeze in at least two or three minutes of establishing actions, in a variety of locations that span the bridge, the infamous holodeck (which can apparently manifest matter like the replicator), a TOS-style marketplace, a cosmic court, an alien ship, a town being blown to smithereens. It's actually remarkable it was able to establish so much and travel so broadly in such a short amount of time.

The ending is 100 proof Trek, surprising the audience with fantastical imagery as a reward for an empathetic crew, evidence for a judgmental Q, already played to perfection by the immortal John de Lancie. As Picard launches the Enterprise-D for the first time, we're ready for more Star Trek. We will miss Kirk, Spock, and Bones, but this motley crew will do for now. We might even love them if we give them the same amount of time we gave our trio over twenty years. I'm biased, of course. Watching this already took me back to 1997, watching reruns on syndication at 6:00 pm every evening.

The Naked Now – To start off the regular episodes with an homage to TOS is already skating on thin ice, especially with an unabashedly lazy episode like "The Naked Time". TOS' iteration was a terrible way to show characters of which we still know nothing by telling the audience about them. And yet, TNG is able to pirouette by making the story about how a professional, modern Federation crew deals with a growing crisis. In one remarkable moment, Tasha responds to an agitated Geordi by pivoting to listening for a while—it says so much in a couple seconds about how this show is different from its predecessor. Both shows are all about big science fiction ideas, but TNG is more focused on what professionalism means in the 24th century. Crusher and Riker are infected by the molecules but they choose to not act on their drunkenness, instead pushing to stay responsible for themselves. This proactive action actually does more to establish character than the original episode ever did.

Code of Honor – A little twist on the principle of cultural competency that veers a little too far into "exotic" storytelling vernacular. The Enterprise visits a culture that is all too aware of the Prime Directive, and successfully subverts it to gain leverage over Picard and his crew. Tasha gets pulled into a rather artificial ethical dilemma: disturb the planet's culture, or leave Tasha to die in mortal combat? Crusher finds a solution: allow Tasha to "die" on the surface, then resuscitate her on the ship. One of the few episodes where Denise Crosby gets to do more than open hailing frequencies.

The Last Outpost – When your teleplay realizes halfway through that the Ferengi make kinda crappy Klingon replacements, it's hard to come back. The Ferengi ended up becoming an overdesigned solution that missed a new show's potential forests in search of trees that looked like its predecessor. What this episode is successful at doing is signaling this show's self-awareness as a product of 1987. The Ferengi are transparently greedy Gordon Gekkos, a beady-eyed foil for the Federation to display its advancement past such trifles as wealth and capitalism for capitalism's sake. Like "Last Battlefield", "Last Outpost" thumbs its nose at contemporary culture.

Where No One Has Gone Before – I gotta say, Kosinski's use of technobabble to talk over his would-be marks is amusing and self-aware of Trek to do. And much of the episode is rather well done, as the Enterprise truly goes into stranger spaces, physically and emotionally for the characters. It's just a shame that the Traveler ends up being a device for 1980s New Age woo, with the crew beaming happy thoughts as he dissipates into a higher existence. At this point, though, TNG is proving to be flexible in its storytelling, giving us several worthwhile character moments and the beginnings of themes to ponder, as well as the fact that the Enterprise-D has its own Scottish chief engineer in Argyle.

Lonely Among Us – A bit of "Journey to Babel" floats amongst Another Energy Being's quest to get what it wants by possession. The plot is fairly standard but fun to watch, and somewhat indicative of the eerie tone TNG will often adopt in future seasons. It's fairly troubling that Picard doesn't remember anything after transporting to the energy cloud, although it's somewhat established that there's something of Picard that is actually traveling between his manifestations in the transporter room...but I digress too much. This is the episode where Data learns about Sherlock Holmes, and his joy is easily ours.

Justice - I kinda love that the Edo run around like white yuppies in 1980s California. They compare to the Christian right as the Ferengi explicitly compare to Wall Street executives. Edo is intentionally racist and sexist compared to the (at the time) very diverse Enterprise crew because the show is very conscious of its times. The Edo are basically Reagan's America: white, straight, and willing to punish anyone who violates its randomly self-contradictory, yet absolute cultural rules. It's also yet another go at confronting God; the Edo guardian is even referred to as a "God-thing" shortly after the Edo woman is returned to the planet. The episode ends up less interested in exploring this than patting the Federation on the back for Being So Ethical with the Prime Directive, which is already wearing thin by swapping Tasha for Wesley in a retread of "Code of Honor"'s plot.

The Battle – The USS Stargazer returns to Picard, along with its fiery past. The Ferengi are given some better use as villains here. They definitely work better as connivers for one-offs like this one until they find a better story context in Deep Space Nine. Some could argue that the orb that controls Picard represents PTSD symptoms, causing sufferers to become potential hazards to people around them. Overall, it's just good character building for the captain.

Hide and Q – A classic Q episode, however strangely paced it is. John de Lancie is on absolute fire as he antagonizes Riker and the crew. Q is now amused with humans, wishing to give Riker omnipotence in exchange for controlling humanity's future. This episode also does a lot for separating Q conceptually from Trelane as a bit of a cosmic Mudd, and certainly more interesting than Mudd could ever hope to be, beginning and ending with de Lancie's irresistable smarm. The crew's response to Riker's "gifts" are also revealing and interesting.

Haven – The first appearance of Lwaxana Troi makes for a double-header of over-the-top Star Trek episodes. Majel Barrett makes a very welcome return as Deanna's overbearing and distressingly telepathic mother. Troi is vocal about separating physical love from platonic love, much to Riker's dismay. She at least does a decent job of trying to give a less than ideal situation a fair shot, even trying to believe in it, and come on Riker, you're not entitled to her. So of course, her assigned beau runs off with the ideal dream woman every Nice Guy secretly wants. Hooray for Riker?

The Big Goodbye – A fun romp through the holodeck that almost turns deadly. Picard channels present-day Patrick Stewart as he giggles excitedly about trying the holodeck on his captain's log and in front of the crew. It ends up being a good diversion much like TOS' "A Piece of the Action".

Datalore – Fantastic episode for Data as we get into a bit of Asimov, something explored only a few times before in Trek. It's fascinating to see the cleverly named Lore exhibit the Uncanny Valley in an inverse fashion to Data: where Data has a robotic affect but genuinely human empathy and goals, Lore has a human, emotional affect but robotic sociopathy and manipulative means to meaningless ends. This episode does have the sore spot of both Picard and Crusher shouting at Wesley to shut up, an unfunny, cruel moment that is out of character for both of them.

Angel One – We have pretty decent women representation with Tasha, Crusher, and Troi, so it's disappointing to see TNG flop with a heavy-handed dialectic on gender, however fair it is to see men get the objectifying treatment after TOS' endless parade of toga-bearing women in soft focus. Worse yet, it falls into the same story hole occupied by "Code of Honor" and "Justice" of dealing with helpless victims caught in a tyrant culture, only for the Enterprise to do nothing. The Prime Directive at this point is more reflective of Roddenberry's decree for the cast to not act with too much protagonism than any thought put into 24th century ethics.

11001001 – I really like this one! Fun moments abound for the crew on and off the Enterprise, currently under "upgrades" by aliens who speak in binary code. Riker gets some great moments with Minuet and Picard, as the captain and first officer work alone together to save the ship and an entire world. This episode does a lot for the camaraderie between Riker and Picard, and serves to develop Riker as a bit of a lady's man in his own mind.

Too Short a Season – TNG visits the consquences of actions like those Kirk took in "A Private Little War". Unfortunately, not only is there little to say, the episode is completely bungled by a misguided attempt at a Benjamin Button story. Clayton Rohner is ridiculous as an elderly admiral who gets way too many scenes where he steps out of the shadows to—gasp!—have less old man make-up than before!

When the Bough Breaks – Wesley gets a turn as the protagonist from "The Giver" when he and other kids are snatched up by Space Atlanteans. The episode works mostly as an escape story. I kind of feel bad for Wesley and Wil Wheaton; there's a lot to like about his character, but he is consistenly underserved by an audience that bristled at a precocious teenager and older writers who seem to think that fifteen year olds have the same understanding about "adults" as five year olds. At least Picard warms up a little bit to being around children.

Home Soil – A well-intentioned tale about terraforming starts very sciencey, then turns laughable when the crew practically hides from literal dust. Like "Angel One", it's another instance where the characters are sometimes written too passive and meek to respect very much. I'd hate to think what would happen if they had to encounter head lice.

Coming of Age – Wesley finally clicks as the younger audience's perspective in this story about what it would be like to try to get into Starfleet Academy. He even fails! It's all right, although Admiral Quinn and Remmick's findings about the crew acting like a "family" is completely unearned in any first season. Remmick could very well be a stand-in for Roddenberry's weasely real-life lawyer.

Heart of Glory – A Klingon episode that actually does more than add to setting material. Worf twice chooses Starfleet over Klingon instinct, with a memorable scene where he faces down fellow Klingons just as a toddler waddles into the fray. Pretty standard kind of first season character building but decent. For an episode that's about Worf, the best scene is actually the bridge seeing the world through Geordi's VISOR, a nice literal insight into a character that reflects Trek's empathic mission well.

The Arsenal of Freedom – Adventure on a deadly planet! Geordi is the acting captain! Like a good episode of TOS S2, this is just a fun procedural where everybody gets to do something.

Symbiosis –
We get a little more detail about the Prime Directive that makes sense, but not much. By now it's a philosophical storytelling crutch that's keeping the show from achieving the same consistency as TOS. It's a shame, because the scenario of a culture enslaving another through limited healthcare and drug pushing is ripe for further investigation. The first season also achieves Peak Eighties when Tasha gives a D.A.R.E. sermon to Wesley about the dangers of drugs.

Skin of Evil – The much-maligned death of Tasha Yar is about as unfortunate and awkward as expected. In the process we also get an interesting update to "Squire of Gothos" where a being of pure malevolence demonstrates plausible behaviors and reactions to outsiders. It's definitely a look at what happens when we try to ignore our negative emotions—we get sucked in, prey to our own unexpressed rage. Where the pop psychology of "Where No One Has Gone Before" failed, here it develops into full themes very well. Tasha's farewell is clunky but we get a poignant image of Data being pensive against a blue sky, its saturation somehow more melancholy than any cloudy day.

We'll Always Have Paris – TNG finally gets a taste of its own flavor with this fun adventure into time paradoxes. Picard also gets some more good character building with a long-lost lover, who is naturally Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas.

Conspiracy – Another episode that is stronger by virtue of the crew actually taking action like, you know, any other TV show. Some good genre investigation and action follows a nicely shot secret meeting between Picard and other four-buttoners about...a conspiracy! To our delight, that trail ends up with infested Starfleet admirals eating mealworms and a totally gross climax, perhaps too disgusting for unsuspecting syndicated stations. It's for the best that this was never followed up; I think this story arc played out enough.

The Neutral Zone – The first season ends with...eh, not much. The Romulans beat their chests and take off in their shiny new Warbird, while three 20th century cryogenics survivors begin adjustment to living in the future. The latter is the stronger story, with several good moments that demonstrate how far the future has come since banks and stock portfolios, the most memorable being Picard's response to "But where is the challenge?" Troi also does a good job as a therapist who gently walks alongside a survivor's experience, never talking down to her client. It's an episode that ultimately is less than the sum of its parts, a faint echo of "Farpoint"'s strong denouement.

Top Tier, ranked
We'll Always Have Paris
Skin of Evil
Datalore
The Battle
The Big Goodbye
Encounter at Farpoint
The Arsenal of Freedom
Hide and Q

Chaos on the Bridge, 2014

William Shatner does the Shatner thing and stirs stuff up with people in this short film about TNG's early dysfunctional work environment. He is such a gossip; he clearly loves listening to the dirt people are dishing out, relishing in the schadenfreude over a show he initially didn't want to happen. David Gerrold in particular is much more colorful than the edited version we get on the special features; he describes Roddenberry as just as likely to "screw over all his friends" as he is to get back at his enemies.

There's nothing here that's too out there compared to what we get in official media, mostly confirmations that Maurice Hurley and John Pike are probably lying scumbags who should never have been involved with the show, were it not for Roddenberry's sharp decline in health and cognitive functioning. The cast members themselves, perhaps astonishingly, remain looking like nice people in the midst of dumb narcissists, although Patrick Stewart had his fair share of Shakespearean actor diva drama at the beginning.

The first couple seasons of TNG are a good example of throwing out a system—forgoing the network model in favor of syndication--but failing to replace it. Without a disciplined, functional showrunner, the staff creatively fell against brick wall after brick wall. The characters had to be perfect expressions of humanism, more role models than human beings. The themes had to be nothing but moralizing about where humanity was going, unless Gene didn't recognize his own ideas and dismissed them anyway. Scripts were constantly being rewritten on Gene's momentary whims, often being thrown out entirely. New writers were golden boys one day and fired by the end of the week. We still don't know if the writers themselves had a lot of quarrels with each other, or if it was mostly going to loggerheads with an addict burning out his last brain cells and the subsequent flat-out jerk. To make matters worse, Gene's lawyer Leonard Maizlish went out of his way to rewrite scripts, often breaking or sneaking into writer's offices to do so. As a result, the first season alone had a turnover of over thirty writers and staff, something still unheard of today.

And yet, I don't think TNG's first season necessarily deserves all of its reputation as unwatchable swill. To be sure, there are a few episodes that are rough and dated. Many of them just end after building up for forty-five minutes. As a first season of a long-running show, though, it does a fine job of setting up clear characters who are actually very likable, thanks to charismatic, skilled actors who display chemistry even when presented with conflict-free scripts. As a fourth season of Star Trek (and let's face it, many if not most scripts were recycled from unused TOS and Phase II stories), it expands on TOS S3's curiosity and empathy, promoting compassion as a primary tool for living in the galaxy. The large cast is a true ensemble, even if some characters like Tasha got the short shrift. At its worst, it's a hamfisted hospital procedural pretending to be science fiction. At its best, it's Star Trek in its purest form since "The Motion Picture", always hopeful, always rooting for humanity in all of its permutations.

Last edited:
TNG Season Two, 1988-89

The Child – The writer's strike forced the writers to rewrite an existing Phase II script, with mixed results. This version is nowhere near as bad as the original, although Troi maintains Ilia's motives and acts mostly out of character. The best change is the conference room scene; the focus is on Troi while the crew argues about what to do with her own child. She gives a declarative statement about delivering the baby, and Picard immediately ends the discussion—very respectful. Another good change is the shift in tone from a gooey story centered on the child to a near-horror story because, uh, that's kind of the correct approach when talking about something that impregnates itself without asking.

Diana Muldaur does an excellent job with a terrible casting situation. She brings a crusty doctor that, while obviously recalling McCoy, is also possibly more clearly established than other characters the previous season. Her badgering of Data, however, does come off as mean-spirited, since it's more than clear to us after twenty-five episodes that he is a person.

To Maurice Hurley's credit, he does take the time to make sure the B and C stories are thematically in tune: the Enterprise is itself "pregnant" with several strains of bacteria, one of which is jumpstarted by radiation coming from Troi's kid. Wesley is also unsure if he wants to leave the Enterprise and continue his development elsewhere. His scenes with Guinan (a welcomed appearance by Whoopi Goldberg) are executed very well and speak to the uncertainty of the character as well as his story. He ends up being the titular "child" at the end, adopted by a crew ready to give him crap daily. Overall, it's not a bad return to the fall season, but it does continue S1's trend of building up to not much of a climax for forty five minutes.

Where Silence Has Lease – The Enterprise observes a strange space phenomenon, only to be observed back by the nightmare fuel that is Nagilum. For all its touting as an advocate for scientific exploration, this is one of the few episodes in the franchise that I remember where the scientific method is actually given some dramatic purpose. Data's speech about "I don't know" being the start of knowledge is pretty important, and I'm glad it's followed up with an entire act devoted to forming hypotheses and testing them. We still live in a world that doesn't fully understand how science works; it's great to see something like this in 1988 of all years. There is still a moment similar to TOS where Pulaski has an untested intuition that immediately turns out to be fact, but "Silence" does a good job of discussing the idea of scientific ethics and best practices.

The Riker-Worf subplot is more of a fun couple vignettes than a true plotline but I like it. In the first couple seasons of a show, it's good to include some character building scenes like these even if they don't advance individual arcs. Screen time is always going to be some kind of story mileage covered, and television is a format that rewards time and breathing room.

Elementary, Dear Data – I love this episode. Data could very well be my favorite TNG character for being so thematically rich and so well acted by Brent Spiner, so to have a story where we see Data just indulge himself is wonderful. Pulaski's skepticism also serves an important narrative purpose for once, instead of just being antagonistic for the sake of it. She serves as the true voice of scientific rigor this season, and her pushing of Data and Geordi to prove that Data has true intuition really helps to include a semblance of Socratic discussion alongside the (very well paced) dramatic structure.

Moriarty could also very well be a new kind of android, similar to "Blade Runner"'s replicants but his matter generated by transporter/replicator technology. I still have questions about that—does a holodeck character have tissue? Considering how holodeck food can be eaten and pages can be carried out into the ship with no problems, it's somewhat disturbing to think that a generated person could be organically complete but theoretically falling just short of consciousness. It could be that all holodeck humans have limited sentience but not true self-awareness. It wouldn't be a far leap for the Federation to improve the technology so that they could beam entire armies onto enemy ships with one template. These are questions the episode wants you to think about—it's not just a great Star Trek story, it's a great science fiction story that pays a loving homage to Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Outrageous Okona – Mudd returns in the form of Okona, an affable space rogue who apparently has many adventures off screen. I kind of give a side-eye at this episode because it seems as much of a backdoor pilot as it is a very first season kind of story. Okona, a too perfect and too competent character, kind of takes over as the protagonist, something I find annoying for a show with a large ensemble, who end up looking like guest stars on some other show, similar to TOS' "Assignment: Earth". In the meantime, he manages to seduce Teri Hatcher the transporter attendant and possibly gives Wesley a bisexual awakening. This is also the first time that we see a direct retcon with Data's statement about not being able to get drunk, contradicting what happens just a year earler in "The Naked Now".

Data continues his thematic rollin' with an attempt to understand humor and a B story that is much better than the A, with some quality time spent with Guinan. The last bit with him staring disappointed at an empty room is genuinely sad and a great development—Data is making a great realization about his limitations, but he's still determined to continue to try. It's that perseverance that saves him from being a Spock clone. This isn't about the classic dilemma of balancing emotions with logic, it's about the very difficult journey of understanding who we are and what we can become. It makes Geordi that much more appreciated as a clearly good friend, encouraging and humorous, never punching down.

Loud as a Whisper – A then-timely episode that fits well with the franchise's mission. I remember a lot of late-80s media promoting deaf awareness. "Children of a Lesser God" had just come out recently, and the country was a couple years away from the American Disabilities Act. TNG was certainly no exception and even raised the bar a bit—Riva is not a token deaf character but has his own flaws, his self-confidence leading to the death of his intepreters. He preens himself but he also shows substantial power, his silence forcing us to focus on his presence as a legendary diplomat. Really cool character work by Howie Seago, himself a deaf actor. This is a good episode for Troi, although I question her skills as a therapist necessarily being different from a diplomat's, especially with Riva insisting all peacemaking starts with the personal—I had my share of mediation training alongside group counseling classes as a social worker, so it's weird to see Troi back away from a natural task for her.

There is much about deaf culture that is reflected well here. The communal emphasis is illustrated with Riva sharing much of his life with his friends, who have a literal telepathic link. The characters make no distinction between ability and culture, instead going out of their way to learn five different sign languages to help Riva with his mission. The solution for replacing Riva's interpreters ends up being Riva himself, who decides to teach the warring nations his own sign language to create a natural common ground, a real-life point of pride for many deaf people. This episode may not have as much stay in fans' minds, but it's a quietly great story that highlights TNG's professional compassion.

The Schizoid Man – W. Morgan Sheppard (aka the Civ 5 narrator) uploads his consciousness into Data's body in what is sort of an update to "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and "Requiem for Methuselah". Ira Graves is a narcissistic, sexist, emotionally labile old man who plans on living forever, with the hopes of finally courting his young lab assistant. It's not a bad episode, just a tired one. It's mostly a retread of "Datalore" where we've already seen what a sociopath Brent Spiner looks like. Yep, he's still good at acting like a creep!

But I gotta rant. Writers need to do a better job of researching the DSM-V when it comes to using mental health terms accurately. Neither "schizoid" nor "schizophrenia" refer to split personalities; the former describes a person who is very static in emotional expressions and overly abstract in thought—you know, Data! Schizophrenia's primary symptom is disorganized thinking, which may or may not, but often does, include delusions and hallucinations. Graves himself displays anti-social behaviors and severe narcissism...okay, I'm done.

Unnatural Selection – At the beginning, Picard asks Troi if Dr. Pulaski's passion ever gets in the way of her judgement. It's an issue for him because Pulaski happens to be the best dramatic driver for TNG at this point; everyone else is too polite to be more than reactive role models. It's also refreshing to see Diana Muldaur get her own episode to really shine as an old-school Trek actor, especially playing against Patrick Stewart.

Much like "The Naked Now", this episode updates TOS' "The Deadly Years", but centers the action on preventing wider destruction. The story ultimately cops out with technobabble but not before Pulaski shows that she has more passion than android killjoy in her. She's exactly a scientific skeptic because she considers herself ethically bound by her practice to test all possibilities of potential immediate benefit to humanity. It's what makes her risk her own life in search of even the hint of options for the Enterprise. It's the kind of episode you wished happen in the first season so that the show could make a strong mark for itself—fortunately, the stirring pot of television allows us to watch these changes in progress.

A Matter of Honor – Riker does an exchange program with a Klingon Bird of Prey while an insufferable suck-up joins the bridge crew. It's mostly a fun hour, as we watch Jonathan Frakes play it smooth with Klingons determined to give him as much grief as possible. The episode does well as an inverse "Code of Honor", where instead of the alien society subverting the Federation's open hand, Riker uses the same open hand that now happens to be holding the weapon of cultural research. He gamely navigates the Klingon system and ends up on top, winning the captain seat and the Klingons' respect because he's William Freakin' Riker. No Decker clone is this Frakes, but the Kirk of the 24th century.

The Measure of a Man – A philosophical argument is brilliantly set against a courtroom backdrop as Picard attempts to argue for Data's rights as a sentient being. This is one of the great episodes of television, not just Star Trek, with the structure, the themes, and the acting firing on all cylinders and complementing each other. The little character moments help set up the stakes for the final act, giving the feeling that this could easily have been a movie by itself (in fact, there are two extended versions on the Blu Ray).

One of my favorite moments is when Maddox is asked to describe the three criteria for sentience: intelligence, self-awareness, and consciousness. Picard immediately catches him when he slips and mentions self-awareness first—it shows that Maddox momentarily lacks self-awareness and would technically be considered not sentient, thereby throwing the whole concept into question. There's a point at which we have to consider if the Uncanny Valley is a mask for our own biases and discrimination. Is it that someone who looks different even objectively appears different, or are we so enveloped in our contexts that we fail to find humanity when it's obvious? Is asking someone to prove their humanity an impossible task? Should I watch this several more times and find out?

The Dauphin – Man, I don't know about transplanting a literal Disney princess story into Star Trek. It sorta works? The problem comes from the love story being so centered on Wesley that it enables bad tropes about courtship. For every moment where Salia shows straightforward attraction and mutual interests, there's Wesley acting entitled to her because he caught her eye for two seconds. It definitely gets weird when Salia changes shape in front of him; Wesley's negative reaction is an all too common experience for transwomen. Worse yet, Salia's actor is ten years older than Wil Wheaton, which really increases the ick factor. There are some legitimately great scenes, though, such as Riker and Guinan showing Wesley how to flirt. They quickly get into it for real and tell Wesley to buzz off.

No, wait...it's Worf explaining Klingon mating rituals. Michael Dorn's timing is fantastic.

Contagion – A fairly standard procedural that sees the Enterprise at risk of structural explosion from an alien computer virus. Quite a few fun bits that keep this around the same quality as "Arsenal of Freedom". Geordi has quietly been developing into a no-nonsense, sassy chief engineer over the past few episodes, and I love it. Picard leads the away team for a bit of action. Data gets into a pickle. Picard ends up on the Romulan ship...you know, fun bits. This episode is notable for including the originally rejected idea of transporting between planets by traveling through gates.

The Royale – A Twilight Zone-like episode that would have been at home in TOS S1. Data, Worf, and Riker are trapped in a false reality that exists within our universe, a hotel taken from the pages of a dime-store novel. A fun forty-five minutes for this trio as they puzzle things out like a computer adventure game. Brent Spiner continues to be a riot with Data putting on cheesy Las Vegas affectations.

Time Squared – Picard comes back in a shuttle before Picard leaves the Enterprise. We never find out why, but that doesn't stop the episode from being an amusing situation for the crew to overcome. More importantly, it's a good illustration for Picard's priorities. Like Kirk, the ship comes first, as well as it should for any trained Starfleet captain. He only leaves when he realizes he's the one being targeted and therefore a risk for his crew. That may or may not be the case for Future Picard, who seems to be stuck in an infinite loop and is unable to consider other options. It's almost more of a ghost story than time travel—Future Picard moves erratically until he is more in sync, and even then his mind seems mechanical, like a spirit going through the same motions. Present Picard is able to dispatch with his "future", exorcising the Enterprise.

The Icarus Factor –
Riker's been getting a lot of entertaining development this season. We're definitely moving past the no-drama rule that Roddenberry wanted—I can't really see a Riker resentful of his father existing in the first season. Pulaski also gets some great moments with Riker's dad, casting a new light on the kind of person she is. The story is well structured and leads up to a good climax where Riker fully shows that behind the quick smile is a slow, smoldering, regretful anger that will take even longer to address.

Troi is colder in this episode, unsuccessfully hiding behind her counselor role to keep from revealing her feelings with Riker. She does that pretty often this season, displaying more obvious attempts to protect professional boundaries than character development, which can sometimes look condescending to the audience. I suspect the writers are deferring to common therapist stereotypes and possibly presenting personal problems with the idea of therapy—it's a trope that appears too often in pop culture not to notice.

Pen Pals – If there's an episode that reflects the highs and lows of TNG, it's this one. Data unilaterally responds to a child's radio signal from a doomed planet, despite the Prime Directive explicitly banning it. It's a bit of a reach that Data the encyclopedia on all things would be ignorant of this, but hey, storytelling. The first half deals with the ethics of communicating with the child and the morality of helping the civilization. The latter is kind of weaksauce philosophy, but I'm with Picard on the former. Data could have put the ship at great risk, and the episode does a good job of showing Data get pulled into a dual relationship that demands more of the rest of the crew. This is a potentially dangerous situation where the crew did not have say or consent, and this is where the Prime Directive makes the most sense.

I enjoyed this first half, but it's also the kind of example video you'd watch at professional ethics conferences for the continuing education credits. Thankfully, the second half pays off so well with its dramatic heavy lifting. Data's relationship with the alien kid is really cute and shows how much Data cares. He really is the most empathetic character on the ship! We can forgive the first half's flat procedural when its ethical substance really helps the second half to inform both Data's development and our hesitation in this scenario. For once, the Prime Directive is a real ethical dilemma and not just a half-baked argument that makes no sense.

Q Who – In the search of strange new worlds, new life, and new civilizations, are there places you shouldn't go? Does the Prime Directive consider the development of the spacefaring civilization itself? Q decides to answer these questions for Picard by flinging the Enterprise right at the Borg's doorstep in an episode that brings a sharp tonal change to the franchise. In the midst of reworked Phase II scripts and updates to TOS ideas comes something that can legitimately be called new: a true enemy that cannot be reasoned with, cannot be destroyed, cannot be escaped without divine intervention.

I appreciate this episode more than I like it, but I can't deny it's a gamechanger. These villains are original to be sure, and effectively menacing. They mostly work as a foil for what Star Trek is about—I just think this episode in particular might have gone too far over the thematic edge, killing off eighteen crew members for edginess's sake. It doesn't serve much thematic purpose except to deconstruct Star Trek even further than Nicholas Meyer would go, saying that maybe humanity shouldn't explore anything beyond the sky and stay home. Is Picard really that arrogant to want to explore? Of course not; he immediately decides to "get the hell out of there" as soon as he sees the Borg ship, possibly also techno-organic, repairing itself like a plantar wart in fast forward. As an episode meant to shake things up, it definitely falls right into the territory of Dark Age comic books like "The Death of Superman" and "The Dark Knight Returns", as well as the deconstruction dystopia that is "Batman v Superman".

But. But. The real question is Ensign Sonya Gomez, whose clumsiness could mean that she is indeed Phase II's Myra Kart reimagined. I knew I liked her for a reason!

Samaritan Snare – Pretty good episode for Picard and Geordi, who is being held hostage by the Pak'led, a race whose social development is far outpaced by their avarice and ambition. LeVar Burton has done great things with the time his character is on screen this season, and it pays off pretty well here. Like his actor, you'd have to try really hard not to like the guy, and his peril sparks concern for the audience as well as the crew, even though we know very well he'll be fine by the forty-minute mark. For both storylines, the crew proves to be the thematic and literal support.

The episode does interesting things with the idea of image. Picard is reticent to reveal his heart condition and show vulnerability in front of his crew, while the Pak'led are keen on pretending to be vulnerable to pull the crew into their trap. If anything, the Pak'led prove Picard's point: image can be a commodity that must be treated with caution. On the other hand, being vulnerable is kind of how human beings develop relationships, so it's interesting to see Picard "trapped" on the shuttle with Wesley for his own good. It's entertaining to see Picard wake up with Pulaski standing over him—despite Picard's best efforts, he has a crew that cares about him as an equal family member as well as looks up to him as a captain. Much better display about who these people are than the baseless assertions thrown around last season.

Up the Long Ladder – There's an interesting exercise here that doesn't build up to much. Two colonies emerge from the same generational ship: one is technologically and culturally behind but more socially advanced; the other the logically inverse, one relatively advanced in technology and taste but socially regressed, repulsed by any form of sexuality. The crew taps its toes and goes aha, why not merge the colonies! Great job, Enterprise! Still, there's plenty to like, especially the Irish folk who beam aboard with the whole kit and kaboodle of hay and farm animals, to O'Brien's surprise. Rosalyn Landor does a terrific job as Brenna Odell, the feisty Irish woman to end all feisty Irish women.

Manhunt – Majel Barrett is wasted in this ridiculous episode about Lwaxana Troi experiencing the opposite of menopause and seeking consummation with Picard, Riker, Worf, Geordi, then settling for a hologram. I don't know, I guess I like the Dixon Hill holodeck scenes, but Troi doesn't even get a minor character status this episode, and Lwaxana is her mother! Standout scene: Michael Dorn commenting on the squid-like delegation with his usual wry abruptness. It's worthy to note that even with the least of the episodes this season, TNG is becoming like pizza: even when it's bad, it's at least edible with fun character scenes here and there.

The Emissary – It's the later-season Worf episode, right on schedule. Worf continues to develop as an appealing character, balancing his Klingon heritage with his Starfleet upbringing in interesting ways. There's much of Spock that has been spread out over the crew: Troi's split heritage, Data's logic, and Worf's struggle to understand himself. He's much further along than Spock was in TOS, his identity more fully formed after years of living emotionally isolated. His encounters with people from his heritage and past are all the more revealing, as they show what kind of unique person Worf has become, displaying pride in his Klingon heritage even as he upholds Federation ideals.

K'Ehleyr is the effective flip side of the coin and a winner of a character, played with gusto by Suzie Plakson. She has dual heritage like Troi and identifies as human, but can't deny the biological Klingon bad blood that pushes her into Klingon society anyway. Even without Klingon DNA, she is another strong woman character in what's turning out to be an impressive bench compared to TOS' soft-focused fetishizations. And interesting to boot: she is the flawed pursuer in deepening her relationship with Worf, until Worf declares that she is his wife in Klingon culture. Her response reflects the kind of sophistication TNG has been able to achieve this season, very aware of TOS' thematic strengths and being able to add to and expand them with cool wrinkles. Like "Loud as a Whisper", it's a quietly great episode that successfully puts a science fiction twist on present-day human themes.

Peak Performance – I'd say this is the kind of fun episode that TNG needs more often, were it not for this season doing a great job of molding most of the crew into enjoyable characters. Riker and Data are highlighted as the characters who have gotten the most growth this year, doing their best against a fantastically pompous Roy Brocksmith as an alien strategist. The rest of the crew also have fun moments to shine, including the interplay between Geordi and Wesley as they get scrappy under their opponents' noses. As the last real episode this season, it's a great showcase for the kind of people our Enterprise-D crew are and how they've achieved interesting differences from TOS' holy trinity. They're a true ensemble now, and that makes a true television show.

Shades of Gray – The studio had marching orders to use up their remaining budget on a clip show, and oh boy, it's a bit of a howler. Riker gets thorned by a carnivorous plant while on an away mission, and lies down for a good map. Pulaski and Troi stimulate his brain with episodes from the recent past to release endorphins that can fight off the neurological invaders. It's as cheesy as it sounds, not the least because it breaks every rule of brain physiology even in 1989.

And yet, it's still not as bad as "Too Short a Season" from S1. The reason? We have the writers explicitly acknowledging the growth Riker has gone through, while affirming Dr. Pulaski as a terrific character who has turned out to be more textured than a female Dr. McCoy. Data had a really strong run in the season's first half, but Riker and Pulaski have more than stepped up as interesting characters who know how to be humans as well as role models. They're great examples of gender when it adds to a person instead of defining them. Riker is a guy as virile as Kirk but leans on supportive humor and gentleness as well as a commanding presence. Pulaski is equally larger than life but exemplifies passionate persistance and disciplined scientific inquiry. She would have a large feminist following if she were a real-life person today. "Yass, queen, yass!"

On the other hand, Troi is easily the biggest disappointment this season, and the episode seems to agree, juxtaposing crying by her dying child's side in the opening episode with...crying by her dying Imzadi's side in the closer. It's often said that the TNG writers didn't know what to do an empath who could read a ship's emotions from afar. In reality, the writers had no idea how to write a therapist—most of her functions this season were assumed by Pulaski, who was likely still written with Bones' level of psychological training. She offers support here and there but the most recognition she receives—from the writers and from the crew—is a pat on the head by Picard at the end of "Loud as a Whisper". For its sometimes heavy reliance on pop psychology, it's a shame that Troi can't be more than the cold, condescending authority figure, because the idea of a social worker role on a starship is incredible sci-fi. Writers then and today are often not equipped to write about therapists very credibly, so maybe it was for the best that Troi didn't get more screentime than a TOS non-trinity character this season.

Then again, everyone is kind of what Troi is supposed to be, anyway. In addition to promoting great, interesting women characters, TNG asserts TOS's themes while adding many instances of kind, professional behavior that can be emulated in any time period, not the least because of its exceedingly likable cast. For a social worker like me, it was a formative show that helped inform much of my professional practice.

Top Tier, ranked
The Measure of a Man
Elementary, Dear Data
Pen Pals
Samaritan Snare
Peak Performance
The Emissary
The Icarus Factor
The Royale
Loud as a Whisper
A Matter of Honor
Unnatural Selection
Contagion
Q Who

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about some of those episodes. There's a fannish explanation for why Pulaski is so much like McCoy: She's his great-granddaughter, who grew up on her great-grandfather's tales of Starfleet and being a "country doctor." She inherited his distrust of transporters and gruff, but compassionate nature. In some cases - ie. the bigotry toward Data - the writers went too far. But otherwise I really liked Pulaski and wish she could have stayed on instead of Crusher, who I never liked. That whole little soap opera "Is Wesley really Picard's son?" was just stupid - of course it's not something that was ever on the show, but it proliferated throughout fandom as a "why not - why else would she be on the show, if not to bring their little "family" together, after so many years?".

Okay, I have to ask: What kind of name is "Troi"? Is it Betazoid? It's nothing I've come to associate with northern Europe, since Deanna's father's name was given as Ian Andrew Troi. Did Ian Andrew take Lwaxana's name upon marriage? Would you believe that this has been bugging me for nearly 30 years?

As for being able to take some stuff off the holodeck but not other stuff... it's something that's like warp factors and distance. The ship moves at the speed of plot, and the holodeck and holomatter operate on the same principle: Whatever the plot calls for, which isn't necessarily consistent with the episode before or the episode after. DS9 and Voyager do a much better job of addressing the sentience of holograms (love Vic Fontaine, played by James Darren from the old "Time Tunnel" SF series), and I think at some point it's said that the food and beverages consumed in the holodeck are actually from the ship's replicators... so they are real. But of course it's presented in such a haphazard way, that it might as well just be magic.

I'd forgotten about some of those episodes. There's a fannish explanation for why Pulaski is so much like McCoy: She's his great-granddaughter, who grew up on her great-grandfather's tales of Starfleet and being a "country doctor." She inherited his distrust of transporters and gruff, but compassionate nature. In some cases - ie. the bigotry toward Data - the writers went too far. But otherwise I really liked Pulaski and wish she could have stayed on instead of Crusher, who I never liked. That whole little soap opera "Is Wesley really Picard's son?" was just stupid - of course it's not something that was ever on the show, but it proliferated throughout fandom as a "why not - why else would she be on the show, if not to bring their little "family" together, after so many years?"
You already know we disagree about Crusher... I liked her much more than Pulaski... much more complex, personable and as you point out, less bigoted towards Data, who I am naturally defensive of, as he is one of my favs. I also found the Wesley-is-Picard's-secret-son implication to make her much more relevant than Pulaski, who I saw as simply a McCoy retread, whereas the rest of the TNG cast seemed to be fresh characters, unlike their TOS counterparts in most respects.

Agree that DS9's Fontaine and VOY's Doctor did a better job of exploring the personhood of holograms than TNG.

Valka D'Ur said:
I'd forgotten about some of those episodes. There's a fannish explanation for why Pulaski is so much like McCoy: She's his great-granddaughter, who grew up on her great-grandfather's tales of Starfleet and being a "country doctor." She inherited his distrust of transporters and gruff, but compassionate nature. In some cases - ie. the bigotry toward Data - the writers went too far. But otherwise I really liked Pulaski and wish she could have stayed on instead of Crusher, who I never liked.

I like Beverly but I have to agree at this point in the series. Pulaski just has better overall character/thematic development across Season 2 than nearly every character, save of course Data. Starting from a Bones template clearly helped the writers establish more dynamic episodes by using her in that way.

Valka D'Ur said:
Okay, I have to ask: What kind of name is "Troi"? Is it Betazoid? It's nothing I've come to associate with northern Europe, since Deanna's father's name was given as Ian Andrew Troi.

No doubt another Roddenberry-ism referring to the character's beauty. Technically, her face was present at the time of the Enterprise-D's launch.

Valka D'Ur said:
Did Ian Andrew take Lwaxana's name upon marriage? Would you believe that this has been bugging me for nearly 30 years?

I believe Lwaxana refers to Ian taking her name in S1's "Haven" while she's walking down a hallway.

Valka D'Ur said:
As for being able to take some stuff off the holodeck but not other stuff... it's something that's like warp factors and distance. The ship moves at the speed of plot, and the holodeck and holomatter operate on the same principle: Whatever the plot calls for, which isn't necessarily consistent with the episode before or the episode after. DS9 and Voyager do a much better job of addressing the sentience of holograms (love Vic Fontaine, played by James Darren from the old "Time Tunnel" SF series), and I think at some point it's said that the food and beverages consumed in the holodeck are actually from the ship's replicators... so they are real. But of course it's presented in such a haphazard way, that it might as well just be magic.

Accio tea, Earl Grey, hot!

Last edited:
No doubt another Roddenberry-ism referring to the character's beauty. Technically, her face was present at the time of the Enterprise-D's launch.
Haha! I get it! "Deanne-of-Troy" to Deanne o' Troy to Deanne a' Troy to Deanna Troi

Little embarrassed that I never thought of that before :blush:

Presumably "Helena Troi" would have been too obvious.

Top Bottom