Altered Maps XIV: Cartographical Consistency

Yeah, it'd be good to get to altered maps at some point, not just 'any old maps at all'.

They used the official account of executions on the charges of treason for Best Korea.

Macedonian Slavs near Salonica in 1915 (map from book: "The new world problems in political geography" by Isaiah Bowman, New York 1921):
The Bulgarians gave me my own lake! XD kawaiiiii!!!!

No, not that one. I am a subscriber to the theory Alexander the Great never existed at all, and that Persia went down in one hell of a civil war.

Our dear and authentic neighbours have decided to erect a statue of Samuil, and considering it as their own. That's well, I wouldn't go very far, but I'd say it's pretty close to "bloody damned plagiarism".

^It gets funnier cause some of them also claim Basil II as their own, cause he was, you know, part of the 'Macedonian dynasty' of Byz emperors, so anything having that name is Fyrmanic :)

So both sides were Fyr, Basil II and Samuel. It was all one huge Fyr civil war :D

Actually, isn't there an actual Macedonian dynasty? As in, hailing from Macedonia (but the Greek one)?

^Yes, and it includes Basil II. But obviously it has nothing to do with Fyrom. And given they also claim Samuel, it makes it even funnier ;)

(also, iirc, the Byzantine theme of Macedonia does not include Thessalonike which was capital of its own theme. The 'Macedonia' theme is centered on Adrianople).

"So, children, see, the Macedonian emperor Basil II blinded 1000 Macedonians, leaving only 1 out of 10 with one eye, because he really hated his brother (also Macedonian) Samuil..".

What can I say, tough childhood is the one of the Macedonian royal family.

"hey dude"
"wat"
"you know, if you flip the map of Europe, it looks like zoidberg"
"whoa, dude"

best convo ever.

Maybe if they were so kind to give over Samuil's grave, that would be pretty nice, and also demolish that stupid statue in Skopje.
As long as I keep Lake Takhino to myself, fine.
^It gets funnier cause some of them also claim Basil II as their own, cause he was, you know, part of the 'Macedonian dynasty' of Byz emperors, so anything having that name is Fyrmanic :)

So both sides were Fyr, Basil II and Samuel. It was all one huge Fyr civil war :D
Βασίλιος Φυρομιάκες/Васил Фуромјак. Not a bad name, eh?
"hey dude"
"wat"
"you know, if you flip the map of Europe, it looks like zoidberg"
"whoa, dude"

best convo ever.
What a trip.

^Well... φύρ tends to signify 'damaged' or 'rotten', particularly for foods which were destroyed by not being properly preserved... :) So Fyr is not really a euphonic syllable in Greek (apt i suppose, 'through some anachronism' as Borges would say and mention a couple of needless names there as well -probably Quevedo and Cervantes or Henry James :D ).

I thought that you had a low opinion of the Fyromians anyway.

But Fyr is not the acronym used in Greek (obviously). That one is ΠΓΔ(Μ). Πρώην Γιουγκοσλαβική Δημοκρατία ;) (Former Yugoslav Republic).

Not that "PGD" is more euphonic, come to think of it... But (as always) connotes something negative in another language.

Top Bottom