AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

I have what I perceive to be an error,
Spoiler :

Fieldsman I & II give 15% Hills defense (I) and 15% Hills attack (II), but Fieldsman III, TAKES AWAY 20% of both attributes, but GIVES 20% to everything else.

Its an overall -5% on Hills, with Fieldsman III, Should I take this promotion literally, and lose the hills, or is this a mistake in promotions.???

Promotions should ADD to a units attributes, not remove them.

So I believe it should be changed to +20% hills attack and defense.

Nb: I've only promoted to Woodsmand I & II, Combat II, III, IV and Guerrilla II, all others were field promotions.

2nd Bug, Underlying terrain is used in bonus calculations.
Spoiler :
]

here the base terrain of a desert is used to calculate the terrain bonuses. I had a unit with Guerrilla III, yet it was penalised due to the terrain. The other mountains didn't have a health penalty.

This also goes for Great General units, who have Fury III, who are penalised by the underlying terrain.

Last edited:
yes, no revolutions is on. Glad that you solved that:goodjob:

I did more testing and it looks like map file is not the problem. I tried with my scenario map and theres some extra units on map right on beginning of game. After deleting all extra units reserch started to work properly so problem is related to those.

That could do it. If I remember my testing of the locked sliders properly, then as long as the sliders were locked, tax income would not accumulate in your treasury, but income would still offset the upkeep cost of units. You wouldn't see negative gold, which would force you to disband units/strike, until your total expenses outweighed any "hidden" gold you were getting.

I'm not able to do that. See attached savegame.

I tried your save game and it crashes on loading.

The save game I have attached has helicopters loaded on a Carrier, a Supercarrier, and a Fusion Carrier. All 4 Helicopter-class units are correctly declared as SPECIALUNIT_HELICOPTER, so they should all be loadable onto carriers. What happens if you load the save I have posted?

Attachments

• helicopters loaded.CivBeyondSwordSave
    226.1 KB · Views: 77
Helicopters not loading, might be related to Gunships and dropships NOT being helicopters, and won't load. They will load onto a transport, but not a carrier, even with the allocated spaces.

Carriers will load bombers, you have to allocate cargo spaces with promotions, up to 3, I've been able to load up to 3 Orbital bombers, 8 Orbital fighters, but no dropships/gunships.

I have no problems loading a dropship on a carrier. All the XML looks to be properly declared, so I don't know what is going on.

I don't know. I never saw an Apostolic Palace election in AND2. Maybe some of my options interfere with it: for example, in the attached save I have the leading religion, diffused to at least other three civs, but I never got the option to build the Apostolic Palace and no one called an election.

Can you check if either Diplomatic Victory or United Nations option is on? I would check if your save didn't crash for me. Look at the F8 screen under Settings and United Nations should be listed if it's on.

If both options are off, it should disable the AP and the UN. If Diplomatic Victory is off but United Nations is on, you can still build both wonders and use the other resolutions, but not call the Diplomatic Victory vote.

I have what I perceive to be an error,

Fieldsman I & II give 15% Hills defense (I) and 15% Hills attack (II), but Fieldsman III, TAKES AWAY 20% of both attributes, but GIVES 20% to everything else.

Its an overall -5% on Hills, with Fieldsman III, Should I take this promotion literally, and lose the hills, or is this a mistake in promotions.???

Promotions should ADD to a units attributes, not remove them.

That's the way it is supposed to be. Fieldsman promos are meant to only give a bonus on flat lands. But if the bonus was the only effect of the promotion, then it would also apply on Hill tiles too, because there's no such thing as a pure Hills tile. All Hills have an underlying base terrain as well. The penalty on Hills cancels out the bonus on the other terrain. The promotion doesn't make the unit any worse on Hills, but it doesn't make the unit any better either.

That's the way it is supposed to be. Fieldsman promos are meant to only give a bonus on flat lands. But if the bonus was the only effect of the promotion, then it would also apply on Hill tiles too, because there's no such thing as a pure Hills tile. All Hills have an underlying base terrain as well. The penalty on Hills cancels out the bonus on the other terrain. The promotion doesn't make the unit any worse on Hills, but it doesn't make the unit any better either.
Do we need such a... confusing promotion in the mod? It doesn't seem very useful.

That could do it. If I remember my testing of the locked sliders properly, then as long as the sliders were locked, tax income would not accumulate in your treasury, but income would still offset the upkeep cost of units. You wouldn't see negative gold, which would force you to disband units/strike, until your total expenses outweighed any "hidden" gold you were getting.

Thats was the reason, unit maintenance.

Is that civic screen hard to fix? I believe theres lots of us who play always without revolutions.

These days, there's almost no reason to play with Revolutions.

Do we need such a... confusing promotion in the mod? It doesn't seem very useful.

If we wanted to make it less confusing, we would need to define XML to give flatlands attack and defense bonuses. This would also help to clear up the mess of bullet points on the various mounted units, although here I would much rather increase terrain defense back to the BTS default values and just sweep all these points away. I wonder if both of these were implemented together. It feels like "creeping realism" which is one of my big enemies.

If you're saying the entire promotion could be removed, I think I agree. My guess is it doesn't exist in BTS because most combat takes place on flatlands anyway, so it's overlapping a lot with the Combat promotion line. Guerrilla and Woodsman create specialized units for rarer terrains, so they can stay.

Can you check if either Diplomatic Victory or United Nations option is on? I would check if your save didn't crash for me. Look at the F8 screen under Settings and United Nations should be listed if it's on.

If both options are off, it should disable the AP and the UN. If Diplomatic Victory is off but United Nations is on, you can still build both wonders and use the other resolutions, but not call the Diplomatic Victory vote.

Under F8 -> Resolutions I see U.N. Election (Diplomatic Victory) (Requires 3509 of 5660 Total Votes)
But I don't see a Diplomatic Victory under the Victories section (there should be?).
I remember leaving all the victory conditions enabled.

P.S. Under Resolutions I see the Apostolic Palace as Not yet built.
P.P.S. About the game crashing for you, it is pretty big, try using the 4GB memory patch on Civ4BeyondSword.exe

Last edited:
I can't load a 1067 save with 1068.

Consequently, I can't test the Dropships and super carriers. From memory I couldn't do it, but I never did try in port/city, so that maybe why.

*Edit - The Ultra aggressiveness of the AI.

I'm playing WITHOUT the Aggressive, or Ruthless, or the 3rd Ultra bastardy Option on, Yet every time I sit a Unit next to an AI CITY, OR UNIT. It will attack, regardless of the odds, until there are no units (in the field) or only 1 unit remaining (City). No options setting is enabling this (I just checked while typing)

Yet it will continue to settle new cities with only 1 defender. The defense ratio's need to be upped, and the attack % raised greatly.

Last edited:
Thats was the reason, unit maintenance.

Is that civic screen hard to fix? I believe theres lots of us who play always without revolutions.

It actually won't be too hard once I sit down to it. I read through the file quickly and the fundamental unit of the panel size is the number of lines, so if we can tell it to use the number of lines or number of civics whichever is greater, it should work fine.

I can't load old saves either. I'm doing some digging to find out where the problem is. I know I tested at least once a save where if you were running Slavery as an economy civic, and then updated the assets so that Slavery was a society civic, you just wound up in Barter. I'm getting crashes before I even update the civics XML, so I'm checking around.

EDIT: I did run v1068 through 550 turns of a 600-turn Blitz game on autoplay, so if you're starting a fresh game, there shouldn't be any of the changes stopping you. But something is making old saves incompatible.

Last edited:
I've started a new game, I was just loading the previous 'let play' write up to test the Super carriers.

New game works fine, if a bit slow between turns, but been like that for a number of revisions.

Originally it was much faster, earlier on, and slowed down as tech tree advanced.

I found the problem in not being able to load save games. It is the new Executive unit class. I do not know why the game cannot handle adding a new class.

The ZIP file that I have attached contains fixed versions of the 3 files that used the Executive class. If you use these to overwrite the appropriate v1068 files, the save games should load properly. Then once you finish your game, restore the 3 files and you should be good.

Attachments

• ExecutiveFix.zip
    90.4 KB · Views: 78
Under F8 -> Resolutions I see U.N. Election (Diplomatic Victory) (Requires 3509 of 5660 Total Votes)
But I don't see a Diplomatic Victory under the Victories section (there should be?).
I remember leaving all the victory conditions enabled.

P.S. Under Resolutions I see the Apostolic Palace as Not yet built.
P.P.S. About the game crashing for you, it is pretty big, try using the 4GB memory patch on Civ4BeyondSword.exe

I was able to load the save you posted once I was able to get past the crashing issue. The Apostolic Palace is built; Zara Yaqob has it. Check the F9 screen. The Members tab of the F8 screen has the AP listed as being Taoist. You don't have any cities with Taoism, so therefore you have no AP votes. In fact, nobody else has Taoism and Zara has 100% of the vote.

I found the problem in not being able to load save games. It is the new Executive unit class. I do not know why the game cannot handle adding a new class.

It happened before with other variables, I should be able to fix it. Probably I can do it in the next days.

If you're saying the entire promotion could be removed, I think I agree. My guess is it doesn't exist in BTS because most combat takes place on flatlands anyway, so it's overlapping a lot with the Combat promotion line. Guerrilla and Woodsman create specialized units for rarer terrains, so they can stay.
Yep, that's what I meant.

Community Center:
Is that really how it should look like? A piece of pavement tile :confused:
upload_2017-12-22_10-55-40.png

Naval Supremacy and Grand War use the same icon. Is that intended? (You don't do that usually).

There is a typo BUILDINGCLASS_ARTEMIS
upload_2017-12-22_11-1-9.png

I don't know what you use to edit xml files but I really like Foxe. It's a very simple yet useful program that highlights such typos.

There's an other one with BUILDINGCLASS_TRANSPORTER
upload_2017-12-22_11-5-18.png

It's <iDomesticConnectedCommerce>1</iForeignConnectedCommerce>

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_10-58-25.png
    upload_2017-12-22_10-58-25.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom