AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

Yeah, but it does ruin the civics that give Fixed Borders. What is good about them now when they can be easily negated? At least tell me where to disable this. It ruins gameplay for me.

Yeah, but it does ruin the civics that give Fixed Borders. What is good about them now when they can be easily negated? At least tell me where to disable this. It ruins gameplay for me.
It does not really ruin them. For me the main power is to be able to gain and hold a tile with a unit on it. This is very powerful in war, especially with the influence D.... war option (not sure of the name, causes borders to change with combat). It is also very useful for early cities allowing access to a powerful tile in the outer ring without waiting for border expansion.

But imagine yourself in a defensive position. Your neigbour have better culture, you want to ensure your borders will not move, so you change to, say, Nationalism. But if your neigbour have Monarchy, that negates it and he still can get your tiles. For me, it is not fair.

But imagine yourself in a defensive position. Your neigbour have better culture, you want to ensure your borders will not move, so you change to, say, Nationalism. But if your neigbour have Monarchy, that negates it and he still can get your tiles. For me, it is not fair.
But you can put a single cheap unit on every tile you may lose, and then you keep it. All I am saying that as is it is very powerful, in answer to "What is good about them now when they can be easily negated?". It is the most important feature I want from any civic when I am in or preparing for war.

Fair enough, but computer player does not use this and looses tiles all the time. I'd prefer to turn it off in an option at the start.

Fair enough, but computer player does not use this and looses tiles all the time. I'd prefer to turn it off in an option at the start.
The computer player does do the "gain cultural control of a tile before my culture expands to cover it", and seems to prioritize tiles that others (such as the human) would get as well. I am a bit impressed by the AI in this area. However you are correct that it does not exploit it in wartime as the human can, and this is a big advantage to the human.

Hmm, my last game computer AI did not get too much attention to his massive tile loose due to my cultural advantage. I seriously felt a little sorry for him at this point, as he had monarchy on and lost extreme amount of territory. He did counter by building some wonders in nearby cities, but he did not put any units on the tiles he was loosing.

Edit. I'll try to find it myself in the code and disable it.

Last edited:
Hmm, my last game computer AI did not get too much attention to his massive tile loose due to my cultural advantage. I seriously felt a little sorry for him at this point, as he had monarchy on and lost extreme amount of territory. He did counter by building some wonders in nearby cities, but he did not put any units on the tiles he was loosing.

Edit. I'll try to find it myself in the code and disable it.

Fixed borders use to work like you want them to work. Have to say that i also miss old way.
Maybe there could be true fixed borders option:mischief:

Yeah I wish that too. Unfortunately, I can't change the code right now. The source does not compile, and I think that I would need some older Visual Studio for that. That's a bummer.

Edit. Because I can't turn off this negating civic effect on fixed borders, maybe there is an option do lower the cultural impact on neighbours, or something that would slow down cultural expansion on others? I already turned on "no city flipping from culture".

Last edited:
Something weird just happened. I play with assimilation. Two conquered native american cities lost their totem poles. They are no longer shown as existing buildings, and archery units no longer get the XPs. But other cities still have totem poles / standing stones. I first assumed that enemy spies might have sabotaged them, but I did not get any notification and also am not shown them as possible build in either city.

I used the worldbuilder. Both were shown as not being there, so I put them there. But when I went back to the game both were gone again.

I found the problem. I had built monuments, which replace standing stones, and the totem pole is a UB standing stone.. When I deleted the monuments with the worldbuilder I could again build totem poles.

About Fixed Borders:

AFAIK, if X civ has got double (or more) culture on a tile over Y civ which has civic with FB then the tile belongs to X civ, regardless of its civic choice.

Pedia says that v1, cruise and smart missiles can destroy improvements and bomb city defence.

That option (<bDCMAirBomb1>0</bDCMAirBomb1>) is not on in xml so units dont have that ability in game.

Edit: I play enhanced air bombardment on

Last edited:
Still in Ancient era and met an enemy scout. I checked with the world builder and the AI's closest city is way more distant than movement limit should allow. This is a new game after the new build but it was working properly in my last game.

Last edited:
Still in Ancient era and met an enemy scout. I checked with the world builder and the AI's closest city is way more distant than movement limit should allow. This is a new game after the new build but it was working properly in my last game.
My experience is that it doesn't always work properly right from the start. I had to check and than un-check Terrain Damage (or the other way) and then it worked fine.

Also, there is a way to exploit this feature - at least with Terrain Damage ON. Some terrain features (flood plains and oasis) make it safe to travel through regardless of distance. Last time I played I really enjoyed it moving from one safe haven to the next one. Gave me some nice micro-management for the early game :D
...but I doubt that the AI can do the same with intention. Maybe with a lot of luck.

You should post a save game, imo.

My experience is that it doesn't always work properly right from the start. I had to check and than un-check Terrain Damage (or the other way) and then it worked fine.

Also, there is a way to exploit this feature - at least with Terrain Damage ON. Some terrain features (flood plains and oasis) make it safe to travel through regardless of distance. Last time I played I really enjoyed it moving from one safe haven to the next one. Gave me some nice micro-management for the early game :D
...but I doubt that the AI can do the same with intention. Maybe with a lot of luck.

You should post a save game, imo.

Same here, movement limits doesnt always work. For me emptying game options in config.ini usually do the trik. Havent test that terrain damage on/off but i will.

I have terrain damage off so it's just the hard limit and this is a save from before I met them near my territory but as you can see, yellow has a scout pretty far from its capital near the middle of the continent. (I didn't check the other landmasses)
The config.ini dump makes sense though. It's been a few months since I played and I pretty much used the same game settings I had from before but I know how programs can be finicky sometimes after an update.

Attachments

• Norolia BC-3570.CivBeyondSwordSave
    490.5 KB · Views: 28
Pedia says that v1, cruise and smart missiles can destroy improvements and bomb city defence.

That option (<bDCMAirBomb1>0</bDCMAirBomb1>) is not on in xml so units dont have that ability in game.

Edit: I play enhanced air bombardment on

I'll fix it. I'm surprised Enhanced Air Bombardment turns off the ability of missiles to use the regular air bomb mission.

Top Bottom