April 2021 Developer Livestream Discussion

The MP community compains about balance then makes crazy changes like this lol :crazyeye:
Not that crazy. First it has to be on hills, second BBG Korean only get +2 flat bonus (and +1 every 2 mines), which is a huge nerf given that now Rationalism needs +4 adjacency.

Actually you can see many changes are adopted from community mods including BBG.

Not that crazy. First it has to be on hills, second BBG Korean only get +2 flat bonus (and +1 every 2 mines), which is a huge nerf given that now Rationalism needs +4 adjacency.

Actually you can see many changes are adopted from community mods including BBG.
Yep, this is true. Korea in BBG is nowhere near busted, I'd say it is a middle tier civ.

Unless England also got buffs to its colonization game, Spain is clearly now the best multi-continent civ in the game. +25% production to districts and a free builder is a WAY better buff than one free melee unit, and that melee unit is only given to the first city on a new continent, whilst Spain gets their buff for every city.

Just to go off of this, I REALLY LIKE how they now made the best isolationist civ the Maya. It's like a complete reversal of Spain, whereas both civs get worker bonuses but Maya's other abilities are tied to their homeland whereas Spain's is to other continents. I wish more civs were designed like this honestly, it's better than trying to come up with wholly unique abilities that don't really work and need constant rebalancing.

Just to go off of this, I REALLY LIKE how they now made the best isolationist civ the Maya. It's like a complete reversal of Spain, whereas both civs get worker bonuses but Maya's other abilities are tied to their homeland whereas Spain's is to other continents. I wish more civs were designed like this honestly, it's better than trying to come up with wholly unique abilities that don't really work and need constant rebalancing.

I do like how they gave similar bonuses to Spain and Maya, but because they basically hit at "opposite" triggers (one close to home, the other far from home), they will have slightly different impacts and it doesn't simply feel like they're duplicates of each other. And even both being basically clones of the Ancestral Hall, because they are limited in abilities and tied to other bonuses of the civs, should feel different.

Update downloaded, just looking through civs to see changes.

Nothing at all for England, the Netherlands, or Scotland, all of whom needed it :/

Edit: Only nothing for Scotland. Both of England's unique units (Redcoat and Sea Dog) got +5 Combat Strength), and Netherlands got a minor buff to Radio Oranje.

Last edited:
Well... Mostly I like the changes. Far more positive changes than negative.

That said I guess I'll be on the lookout for balance change mods to a few civs. There were some missteps...

Nothing at all for England, the Netherlands, or Scotland, all of whom needed it :/
Wilhelmina does now get +2 Loyalty and +2 culture for trade routes so there are minor changes.

Top Bottom