Are you a Christian, Atheist or other religion?

Vote for the option that fits you best (agnostics vote atheist)

• Total voters
Willowmound said:
Sounds like the sinful kind of pride to me - according to your dogma, that is. Or is that not pride, because your alleged "team" is Jesus's?

Pride is a human emotion. No human emotion is sinful, only that actions which may accompany them. (I'm sure you can figure out the results of pride yourself)

I myself find the whole notion of sin - and especially original sin - to go against the very essence of all that is good in life. The newborn child is evil because it was begot in sin, i.e. two people expressing their love for one another in the tenderest way possible. This notion lies at the core of Christianity. It is why Christians baptise their children, to "cleanse" them. I can never accept such a religion.

It is no wonder that you cannot accept a religion you appear to know nothing about. I suggest you do more reashearch before explaining the notion that "lies at the core of Christianity". No christian denomination that I know of considers love between 2 consenting (married) adults (who are, in some churches, not clergy) a sin. However, you may infact be refering to the notion that no human is without sin, in which case I suggest you make your position clearer. As for the babtism of children, it is a tradition I (and many others) do not agree with and argue against.

CivGeneral said:
Wait a sec, I thought Mormons were not Christians cause they were not baptized in the name of the Trinity ("in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"), plus I read that is one of the reasons the Roman Catholic Church view Mormon baptisms as invalid when Mormons convert to Catholism :confused: (Offical possitions on Mormonism by traditional Christian denominations from Wikipedia). Mind you that I never ran across to a Mormon in RL so I dont know about them nor their practaces, apologies in advance if I offended you in anyway :blush:

The full name of the Mormon Church is the Church of Jesus Chirst of Latter Day Saints. I read the same bible you do. We believe in most of the same things. The RCC does indeed feel that Mormon Baptisims are invalid, for whatever reasons they do. Mormons also feel that Catholic Baptisims are invalid, because a) its done at birth, (we dont belive in the whole "all of mankind is punished for Adam's sin), and thus the person has no agency, and b) it isnt done by immersion.

Its important to understand that the Roman Catholic Chruch does not decide who is a Christian and who is not....obviously, they think they are the only correct church. If somebody follows the bible, belives in Christ, etc...then they are christian.

I would be more than happy to answer any other Mormon question that you might have if you like, since it looks you like you dont know much (thats ok, a lot of areas in the world dont have many), but this thread prob. isnt the place to do it. Drop me a PM if you'd like

Agnostic atheist, mostly weak atheist to the multitudes of gods proposed, strong atheist about the ones commonly defined.

Meleager said:
It is no wonder that you cannot accept a religion you appear to know nothing about. I suggest you do more reashearch before explaining the notion that "lies at the core of Christianity".

If all men did not fall short of the glory of god, why Jesus then?

Original sin seems to be a very necessary concept in some form among the various sects of Christianity in existence. They frequently disagree in various forms about how the original sin is to be made up for, Catholics v. Protestants, work versus faith alone versus faith plus works, what rituals are necessary or helpful, to what degree the Christian god might respond to prayer, intercessory versus strictly communicatory.

Some are incredibly literal about it all. If you believe it was Jesus who died for your sins, that's good. If you believe it was Jebus who dies for your sins, that's no good.

When one begins examining the nearly incoherent mess of beliefs, one begins to suspect it is all strictly a human invention versus anything put together by an omnipotent, omniscient deity.

silver 2039 said:
I don't like people trying to force a religon on me....no one assimilates me:scan:

@Cleric why don't you burn your church?

I like to take short naps in it and make fun of the old priests who forget what they were going to say in the middle of a sentence and then just stare blankly trying to remember. :lol:

Besides my entire faimily is into it and I wouldnt fare so well if they knew I thought it was a bunch of flaming ****.

Proud Christian. :jesus:

Fifty said:
Even if the historical evidence was indisputable (which it isn't by a longshot)

Many non-Christian Roman Historians acknowledge that Jesus did exist. We just don't know if the stories about him were true. ;) Since Jesus probably existed, according to the Romans, he probably also claimed to be Son of God. If a man says he is Son of God, then there is only 3 explanations I can see: 1, He is a Liar 2, He is insane 3, He really is Son of God. There was no (recorded) evidence to suggest that he was Lying or insane.....

Also, some parts of the Old Testament predict Jesus's sufferings, and they were writen before Jesus.

ME: What kind of a stance is that? Aren't we allowed to weigh the evidence? Your stance would make it very difficult to serve on a jury you know.

What evidence?:confused:

Fifty said:
THEM: um... we'll try to address that at the end. (they never did)

(They must have not been very good Christians if they didn't know this one!:rolleyes: )

God gives people choice. You have the choice to either obey God, and love him, or you can disobey, and deny his existence. That's the reason why there is sin, because God gave people FREE WILL. He has no interest in ruling us as a dictator.

Those are just my beliefs anyway. Don't bother answering them. I probably won't answer. :p

btw, the poll should have a Buddhist, Hindu, and agnostic option. :mad:

@Gastric ReFlux, I was refering to his comment about sex being the cause.

Meleager said:
Pride is a human emotion. No human emotion is sinful, only that actions which may accompany them. (I'm sure you can figure out the results of pride yourself)

It is no wonder that you cannot accept a religion you appear to know nothing about. I suggest you do more reashearch before explaining the notion that "lies at the core of Christianity". No christian denomination that I know of considers love between 2 consenting (married) adults (who are, in some churches, not clergy) a sin. However, you may infact be refering to the notion that no human is without sin, in which case I suggest you make your position clearer. As for the babtism of children, it is a tradition I (and many others) do not agree with and argue against.

Go research original sin. I know what I am talking about. Modern Christians tend to focus less on this (if at all) than Christians did historically. However, as long as Christianity stays Christianity, the dogma remains, whether focused on or not. When you have researched the concept of original sin in some depth, you can come back here and explain to me the purpose of baptism.

@Willowmound, I was reffering to your statements about sex. Not about the Adam and Eve story. Would people please read my posts.

Why is Judaism listed as a religion?

You're Jewish if you're born of a Jewish mother (at least, that's what the Old Testament says).

Fox Mccloud said:
btw, the poll should have a Buddhist, Hindu, and agnostic option. :mad:
Buddhists and Hindus are a small small minority here.

For agnostics, blame the original poster for lumping them with athiests. Technicly agnostics are way different from athiests.

CuddyLeper said:
Why is Judaism listed as a religion?
Judaism is indead a religion.

CivGeneral said:
Technicly agnostics are way different from athiests.
That's not quite true. I, for instance, am both an agnostic and an atheist, in that I don't claim to know whether or not there is a god due to lack of evidence (agnosticism), therefore I consider it reasonable not to believe in anything unless sufficient evidence is found (weak atheism). I suspect that the majority of people voting "atheist" in this poll have similar views.

I refuse to vote. I will not be lumped with people who blindly deny the existance of anything beyond, and I will not be lumped with those who blindly accept it.

Sophie 378 said:
I actually :lol:'d! Do you mean spectrum? A whole ghost of opinions! I'm a (pedantic) atheist.
Yes, it's supposed to be spectrum. I just took a Norwegian word "Spekter" and "Englified" it by putting a "c" instead of a "k", it sounded right and apparently it worked since you're the only one to notice :lol:

aneeshm said:
*sigh*

Another poll which does not make sense to me . How does an agnostic Hindu answer this question ? I answered "Other Religion" .
Then you voted correctly, no problem :)

Dervish said:
What? No Hinduism or Buddhism? This poll is too western oriented Heh no Zoroastrianism either!
Most people from this forum are from the Western World, so logically the poll is western oriented. Would you like me to list every single religion and every varience of those religions? Be realistic. The "Other Religion" will do fine.

I'm an Eastern Ortodox Christian.

Atheists, please keep the arguments we've all heard a zillion times to yourself.

Christians, please lay off the mormons. Have you had bad experiences with mormones? The mormons I met have been nice, and even though I don't agree with their beliefs atleast they seem more open minded to talk about faith than most atheists. And add to that, they don't burn down our churches like some do
*cough* silver *cough*

Homie said:
I don't agree with their beliefs atleast they seem more open minded to talk about faith than most atheists.
Athiests are open minded to talk about faith. You wanna talk about faith? We can talk about faith! Let's talk about faith!

Top Bottom