Are You For globalization or against

For or against globalization

• Pro-globalization

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Anti-globalization

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Economists say that trade can make everyone better off.
This means that trade can make everyone worse off.

Consider the following two statements:
1. Trade can make everyone better off.
2. Trade makes everyone better off.

The second statement is clearly stronger, yet economists don't choose this statement. Why? Because statement two must be false! Then it's just a hop skip and a jump from Trade can make everyone better off -> trade can make some people better off -> trade can make everyone worse off.

Your grasp of what economists say and argue is tenuous, at best.

Globalization is nothing more than unencumbered trade throughout the globe. Why would anyone be against that, except for protectionists who are really interested in political advancement at the expense of economic?

Against globalization. Although I don't have any formal argument against it, I simply believe local cultures, customs, and beliefs are lost in the process.

In general, I am pro-globalization. But there's an inherent imbalance in the way globalization exists today: capital can cross national boundaries much more easily than labor can. That's changing, slowly, but it's going to be painful for a lot of people for some time, which is why we can't just leave things to the free market. Every country should have appropriate mechanisms in place to protect their population against economic dislocation. Preferably, that's through an adequate social safety net rather than actual trade barriers.

But it's also the case that a truly free market is about as common as a truly free lunch. Although most countries engage in protectionism to some extent, China's blatant currency manipulation is the worst example today.

When a software engineer in Hyderabad can pull the same salary as one with equivalent experience in Austin, then I'll agree we've reached a turning point. Until then, globalization is mostly going to serve a few at the expense of the many.

Your grasp of what economists say and argue is tenuous, at best.
Bill's quote is from Yoram Bauman, the "world's first and only stand-up economist". It's part of his spoof of Mankiw's "Ten Principles of Economics".

I thought the internet was globalization. Did you mean free trade, or bigger bureacracy?

It's not that simple, certain parts of globalization (like the Internet) are great, other parts (like sweatshops & massive inequality) not so great. Overall, mostly against. See link #5 in my sig for a strong example against globalization.

I am for the Imperium of Man to form and set its sights on our manifest destiny to conquer the stars.

We just need a God-Emperor. I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

It's not that simple, certain parts of globalization (like the Internet) are great, other parts (like sweatshops & massive inequality) not so great. Overall, mostly against. See link #5 in my sig for a strong example against globalization.

But the negatives exist with or without globalization, it's just that the way it's integrated into our lives in the west puts as benefactors of it.

Kruelgor said:
The sooner the whole world is on the same currency, under the same security force, and under the same supreme government then the sooner we will end 99% of our problems.

I also endorse the Tarkin Doctrine.

The sooner the whole world is on the same currency, under the same security force, and under the same supreme government then the sooner we will end 99% of our problems.

---------------------

Globalization is the new way the world works. It replace the Cold War system of the second half of the 20th century. You cannot be 'for' or 'against' a thing that is intrinsically part of the system.

That will happen when the Dictators give in and the free thinkers give up.

Anti-globalisation, pro-internationalism.

Globalization is the new way the world works. It replace the Cold War system of the second half of the 20th century. You cannot be 'for' or 'against' a thing that is intrinsically part of the system.
Unless you're against the system...

To be "ant-globalization" is to be ignorant of what the term actually means, and to have a fundamentally flawed understanding of human civilization.

Top Bottom