ArrowNES3: Age's Beginning

Borges Tlön

Borges Tlön visits the Kabikov vassals of the Uqbar basin.

Borges stands nearly six and half feet tall. His once-raven hair has turned to white and grey and his face and hands are crisscrossed with minor scars from innumerable battles and training skirmishes but his pale, ice-blue eyes remain sharp and discerning. He wears a thick wolf-fur cloak dyed black over Vitayev steel plate armor. The breastplate is acid-etched with the sigil of the family, a peryton raising a human heart in its claw. Under it, the words in the old tongue of the highland tribes, “Iron Waits”. A similar emblem is etched upon a steel kite-shield strapped to his back.

His stride is long and purposeful and despite his forty-nine winters he moves with practiced ease under the weight of steel that would pin a lesser man to the ground. His entourage is made up primarily of his most elite warriors, long-standing veteran troops drawn from the ranks of the Peryton cavalry. Each of these is similarly dressed in fine Vitayev plate and a wolf-fur cloak. These men lack only their lord’s emblem upon the breastplate; instead it appears uniquely upon their shield. Amongst the entourage a single towering Tlönic mare stands, its ears and eyes alert but otherwise still. Instead of steel barding, it is draped in blue and silver cloth from the Uqbar lowlands. Dwarfed by the soldiers surrounding her, a petite blond-haired women of northern descent rides upon the giant horse. She is Borges’ wife, Lady Alix of House Clegat. She is a matriarch now and despite her petite frame and delicate features, her gaze is stern and her eyes show no mercy. Outwardly she is northern but her heart and mind, after many years of power, violence and cruelty, are thoroughly highland Uqbar.

Other than the sigil upon his breastplate, nothing distinguishes the lord of Uqbar from his entourage. He wears no crown and no banners flutter around him. But the people of Uqbar recognize him immediately; they see his face every day on their coin. And they know and often fear him. His is an iron rule. Justice is quick. And often final.

As they make their way into the grand lowland city of Riverforks, the peasantry and nobles alike, part before him and drop to a knee. He passes quickly through their ranks, his stern visage unbroken by their show of loyalty, neither smiling nor frowning, his gaze set upon the keep at the meeting of the rivers, Solntse Chertog.

Finally they arrive at the gate, handing Lady Alix's giant steel-clad Tlönic horse to the stablehands, before striding threw a crowd of gathered nobles and courtesans.

Borges’s visage finally breaks its stern impassivity upon noting the towering steel and fur clad figure that leads the defenders of Solntse Chertog, “My son Askold, it has been too long.”

Wedding Preparations.

From: King Jeod Draenon, the magnificent, and Queen Alane, the beautiful.
To: All illustrious nobles of all Houses.

We invite all the Great Houses to witness the marriage of Andrew Draenon, our son and heir, with Rosalin Mandon. There will be festivities and ceremonies. There will be a tournament fair for those interested in bringing prestige to their Houses. It is worth mentioning that it is a custom to Tarnost ensure the safety of their guests.
It is perfectly permissible that each Lord can bring some bodyguards, because the land is very dangerous these days. However, we guarantee your security at our borders, and bodyguards will be rather idle. However, we allow the entry of bodyguards, not armies. If a very large number of armed men step into our borders, we will know.
We hope that the stars to guide your paths, and allow to come celebrate with us. (We will discuss political issues as well). A refusal for no apparent reason will be treated as an insult to the honor of our House.

From: Lord Jeauseph II of Mayeux, Holder of Many Titles, etc.
To: The Honored Lords of Aestis and Walen

We are glad to have Aestis' support. In regards to the concern of the honorable Lord of Walen, it is not our intention for the Eastern League to become some form of leverage with which ambitious and aggressive types might seek to force themselves upon the rest of the realm. Indeed, that is precisely what we seek to prevent by the creation of the Eastern League. For my part I am glad to have the support of House Walen on the terms set down by your lordship, as they are nothing less than what is intended by the Eastern League. Its creation should, as stated by myself and by the Lord of Aestis, serve as a boon to the peace and the status quo in the region and if possible elsewhere. If there is any among our number who would seek to illegally and aggressively expand his influence and power it is not by the Eastern League that he shall achieve his goals.

With your support and our combined wills we may look forward to many years of peace and prosperity for our noble lines and our subjects.

@Terrance, Arrow Gamer, I seem to have seriously misjudged my marital prospects/your faction background. For IC purposes I'd greatly appreciate if we both pretended the betrothal of Valenette to Quentin never occurred, though I suppose I'll understand if you feel it necessary to somehow pull a Frey on me. :p

@Deusselkerr, communique addressed to you and others on previous page.

Recognized.

Wedding Preparations.

We invite all the Great Houses to witness the marriage of Andrew Draenon, our son and heir, with Rosalin Mandon. There will be festivities and ceremonies. There will be a tournament fair for those interested in bringing prestige to their Houses. It is worth mentioning that it is a custom to Tarnost ensure the safety of their guests.
It is perfectly permissible that each Lord can bring some bodyguards, because the land is very dangerous these days. However, we guarantee your security at our borders, and bodyguards will be rather idle. However, we allow the entry of bodyguards, not armies. If a very large number of armed men step into our borders, we will know.
We hope that the stars to guide your paths, and allow to come celebrate with us. (We will discuss political issues as well). A refusal for no apparent reason will be treated as an insult to the honor of our House.

King Jeod Draenon and Queen Alane

I, High Lord Bairn III, cannot attend this wedding. There is much to be done in the care of my nation, and I am currently losing sleep over drafts of the Royal Highway System. In my place, I shall send my Lady Wife, Roseah Von Valder, and my son, Tyonidas Walden, along with his wife Maura Belcourt. I hope this is suitable to replace the hole of my absence. As this is a large portion of my family, I shall be sending approximately 50 royal guards with them; I hope this does not infringe upon your definition of a large force. Peace and prosperity upon you and yours; congratulations on the marriage.

High Lord Bairn Walen, Third of that Name, Liege of the Autumnland.

King Jeod Draenon and Queen Alane

I, High Lord Bairn III, cannot attend this wedding. There is much to be done in the care of my nation, and I am currently losing sleep over drafts of the Royal Highway System. In my place, I shall send my Lady Wife, Roseah Von Valder, and my son, Tyonidas Walden, along with his wife Maura Belcourt. I hope this is suitable to replace the hole of my absence. As this is a large portion of my family, I shall be sending approximately 50 royal guards with them; I hope this does not infringe upon your definition of a large force. Peace and prosperity upon you and yours; congratulations on the marriage.

High Lord Bairn Walen, Third of that Name, Liege of the Autumnland.

It's really a shame that the illustrious High Lord Bairn III can not attend the event. We understand your situation, and we guarantee that your family will be very well received. 50 bodyguards is enough.

Wedding Preparations.

Zed Blackbeard, First of his Name, Lord Paramount of the Winterlands and Lord of Ravenfall, shall attend with his wife, the Lady Noya, and youngest son, Lord Yed and shall bring with us a force of 50 Bodyguards.

Khanate

Name/Player Name: Joiren / Bonefang
Spoiler :

Ruler/Family: Parviz Khan, 43, leader of the all the men of Khanate. Father of Emit Behnam. Rules over Jioren & Buiety .
Vassals:
Emir Behnam : 25, heir to the throne of the Khanate. Owns Poleue
Emir Dilshad : 24, owns the realm of Louye
Emir Ehsan : 26, owns the realm of Guir
Nikoloz Noyan: 37, owner of Ruiten. Previously an arch enemy of the Khanate, now sworn into vassalage to Parviz Khan.

Nation Biography:
My name is Ehsan, I came from the far north, beyond the great steppes;my people lived there since immemorial times but great misfortune fell over my generation;long ago we were neighbors of the tribe called Motuyii, we were warring and trading between us until their great horde gathered and invaded our lands. Our leader, Parviz Khan, the fortunate one, was cunning enough to repeatedly stop the marauding hordes, along with his trusted general Emir Sulaiman, my father, stopped the hordes of horsemen for the next decade, to such a level that the hordes didn't have enough horses to ride on !

There was one thing that was clear to them.... and to us.... if the leader fell, so would his underlings, cause in battle, it was not the men or the blades, the impact of putting fear into the hearts of men that mattered the most. A small wavering army was the source of a large scale rout!

I was there when our lancers drove their spears across the hearts of the nobles, I was there when we put across numerous barbed arrows into the nobles. Our horses were fast and we knew the area like the backs of our hands. We used the forests to great effect as my group of warriors, ambushed their armies among the valleys, across the several river crossing and took in prisoners.
With their supplies cut short, the Motuyels were like chicken ready to be slaughtered ! And oh what a feast it was !

The tale of Battle of Buiety, the surrender of Motuyii and the creation of Khanate.
Spoiler :
It was in the battle of Buiety, that my father fell, along with several of the Khan’s Body Guards. We were seiging the great castle of Ifteros, our men marched slowly but steadily across the hail of arrows. Our leather shields did that they were supposed to, but then we got into the business end, for real men, fought with axes and not firing arrows through the several windows of the castle walls. My group was tasked with entering the castle through the tiny agricultural duct that was left unattended !
Inside the castle, we trudged casually to the palace, till the palace guards challanged. My dear freind, Dishad, the blood craving young lad, was just too fast, for anyone to react. In one smooth motion, he had decapitated the head of the gaurd in front of us. After that it was a blood bath, we caught the Leader of their imperial army, just as he was putting on his battle armor. He was a brave and honorable man, for words were simple, “If any of you are man enough, face me one on one. I would face you like I am right now, without any armor. Considering the fact that you guys are inexperienced and pretty wounded yourself, I would say, this was an even match. I am Nikolai, the son of Ebrahim, the lord of Ruiten. It would be an honor to go down fighting.” He grinned.
The fool Dilshad, charged in. Nikolai, quickly sidestepped his attack, and as Dilshad landed his attack on the ground, Nikolai quickly disarmed him.
With a smug smile, he announced, “who is the leader of this ragtag group ? I wish not to take worthless lives. Let me deal with the leader of your group, so that the others might yet live.” I was angry at this white skinned snob, even angrier than that fool Dilshad.
I dropped my bow and arrows and unsheathing my sword, I stepped up, to show my intentions. It was a like the practice sessions with my old man, when he taught me how to defend myself. A worrisome feeling was emerging in my mind, as I started to think what had become of him. The sound of steel brought me back to the reality, as I realized that this was wasn’t a practice after all, for the men infront of me and trying to kill me.
His heavy sword was no match for my scimitar, as I moved around to dodge his lethal sword. Couple of minutes later, I noted that my opponent, was trying to make heavy sujig (vertical) moves, that left me with enough time to dance to the side and make my move. The next time I saw his longsword above his head, I deftly moved to side and gently touched my swords’ tip to his neck.
“Finish me of, you barbarian” gone was his smooth eloquence and his sence of supremacy.
“You have left my dear freind alive, so I owe this to you”
Dilshad was heard screaming “These <swear words, lots of them> has looted our towns, raped your sister and left her to die. It is for her memory that you should finish off this menace right now”.
A roar could now be heard outside.
“Yes do it” growled Nikolai, “my men have won the battle, and would be hear shortly. This might well be your last chance”
“Prince Nikolai, it should not be me, but the Allfather in heaven that is to decide whether you deserve to comforts of heaven or the burning pits of hell. I do not like bloodshed, so if you were to let go your weapon, and submit to the rule of our great Khan, me, my men, you and your men can all live to die another day.
There were men marching in, but they held the banner of our great Khan !
Long live the Khan ! Hail to the All Father.

My eyes searched among the crowd to find my father.
The great Khan, walked up to me, put his hand on my shoulders. "You have done well my son, you will be a great leader of your men. Your father died an honorable death, he was one of the first ones to get inside the castle. He had probably killed more foes than the devils running wild in the frozen north."

Like the prophets once preached, the happiest days often coincide with the saddest of our times, I was happy and sad at the same time.

Religion:
My men follow the allfather, Aab, the creator of the world, the creator of all things animate or otherwise, the creator of the sky, the moon, the plains. It is the one true faith.
Monotheistic, Moderately Patriarchial
Deity: Aab, The God of the Forge and Spring
Titles: The Smith, The Mighty Sovereign, The Glorious One, The Renewer
Afterlife: reunites those seperated in life and can be reached by the living, with effort
Supernatural: greatly feared
Worship: joyous group prayer at shrines
Holidays: few
Holidays Celebrate: martyrs, heroes, saints, full moons, the harvest
Major Holiday(s): include many other ceremonies (marriages, ordinations, etc)
Deadly Sins: irresponsibility, selfishness, self-injury, thoughtlessness and blasphemy
High Virtues: loyalty and dilligence
Coming of Age: 13 years old
Coming of Age Rite: is similar to a 'vision quest'
Marriage: is initiated by the male
Marriage Rites: involve private celebrations
Death Rites: involve embalming
Major Taboo: none
Prevalence: believed by many
Outsiders: are scorned

Family Tree :
Spoiler :

Parviz Khan (43), &#9794;
Khan of the Jioren Khanate
Realms : Jioren & Buiety

Narantsetseg (36) &#9792;
Wife of Parviz Khan, Mother of Emir Behnam & Emir Dilshad
Oyuun (31) &#9792;
Wife of Parviz Khan, Sister of Nikoloz Noyan, Mother of Ho'elun & Chab

=============================================================================
2nd Generation
Emir Behnam (25), &#9794;
Heir to the Khanate
Realms : Poleue

Emir Dilshad (26), &#9794;
Captain of the Royal Guards
Realms : Louye

Ho'elun, 18, &#9792;
Wife of EmirEhsan

Chabi, 17, &#9792;
Betrothed to Mikhail, Son of Nikoloz Noyan

Wedding Preparations.

Lord Verrinorc Vilarix, Sword of the West, Protector of the Galleci, the Highest Druid, Keeper of Singidun
will of course take part in the activities, also I will come with my wife Fillina and my beautiful daughter Llewella.

To King Jeod Draenon, the Magnificent.

My dispatch seems to have forgotten to include that two members of my party wish to participate in your tourney. Sir Yed Blackbeard and Sir Jonathan White, son of Lord Kart White, a trusted Vassal and ally of my family.

We humbly thank you for inviting the Western lords to your wedding feast and tourney.

Zed Blackbeard, Lord Paramount of the Winterlands and Lord of Ravenfall.

Wedding Preparations.

From Gerard Belcourt, Lord of Dunnough Castle, of Esterveux County, Lord of the Easterlands and High Warden of the Riverlands

I will be attending your son's wedding with a small retinue. My Lady Wife, Josephine of Bedevere, my youngest sons, Albus and Barnard, my bannermen Albus Mercure and his beautiful wife Kara of Mandon [for which I am certain your good-daughter Rosalin will be appreciative], and their only child, Lady Seguina the Fair, for which he is looking for a husband. In addition to my houseguard, my Castellan's brother Joseph and his son Sir Denik will be armed, and have requested to attend the melee.

I hope the raven reaches you in good time, Jeod. Tell me - what gifts would the newlyweds appreciate? A fine rug, an exotic animal, a dozen tenured chefs and cooks?

I pray the goodlady Alane is in good health. Until we speak again.

To: House Draenon

We will attend the wedding of your son and are sure our vassal lords will be there as well. We will also bring casks of Sun Valley wine, of the finest vintage we can find, to the party as wedding gifts.

From: Prince Oberyn Mandon the Wise, Lord of the Highlands and Master of the Greyrock
To: King Jeod Draenon, the Magnificent, and Queen Alane, the beautiful.

I will naturally be escorting my beautiful daughter Rosalin to her wedding with your heir Andrew. Accompanying me will be my beautiful wife, Lea, as well as a number of my children, all of whom would be loath to see their beloved sister leave without giving her a proper farewell. Also accompanying us will be lord Oberyn Clegat, Who is cousin to the girl, and her Uncle, Lord Oberyn Tastan.

I shall also be bringing a party of ten honorable and brave armed knights, champions all, to participate in any tourneys that we may encounter on the way and in your lands. When I return home, they will be honored to remain as part of Lady Rosalin and Lord Andrew's Retinue.

I will also be bringing a nugget of gold as large as a man, drawn from the the Mines, as gift to you, my friend.

To: All illustrious nobles of all Houses

With joy in my heart that we see so many illustrious men and women give their positive answers. We will make this event be remembered for many generations to come. Next summer, when the stars of our ancestors are shining in the sky, there will not be even one empty hall. We will reserve the entire royal palace for the well born, and we open the courtyard of the castle for traders and peasants seize a good drink. During the day there will be tournaments where noble knights show their skills. Prince Royce, the Moon Knight, my youngest, will also participate. There will also be the traditional melee. During the night, there will be banquet in the halls, where there will be an exchange of gifts. As usual in Tarnost, grooms receive the wedding gifts that are of sentimental value, and may include material things, or songs, poems, among others.
So it will be for three days. In the third, the bride and groom gather to meditate and relax during the day, as well as the guests. When the moon ascend the sky, and the stars shine, everyone will head to the Temple. There, amidst the gardens and without a roof over our head (so our ancestors could see the ceremony), the bride and groom will take the oath of loyalty and become husband and wife. So, right there, there will be the major banquet, reserved only for the most noble guests, where everyone will party until the moon hiding. The newly married will obviously leave the party first, will bid farewell to the family, and will finish the ceremony on the banks of a small lake located in a closed garden of Thamerhall, where only the stars can observe.
I hope this has made clearer the nature of the event, and of course feel free to bring family and friends. But remember that at the time of the ceremony only noble people could enter the temple. We also have hope that during the festivities one of your daughters can captivate the heart of Prince Royce, since he refuses to marry someone he does not love. The one which accomplish this feat will have our gratitude.
We hope that the stars shine upon you.
King Jeod and Queen Alane.

From: Prince Oberyn Mandon the Wise, Lord of the Highlands and Master of the Greyrock
To: King Jeod Draenon, the Magnificent, and Queen Alane, the beautiful.

I will naturally be escorting my beautiful daughter Rosalin to her wedding with your heir Andrew. Accompanying me will be my beautiful wife, Lea, as well as a number of my children, all of whom would be loath to see their beloved sister leave without giving her a proper farewell. Also accompanying us will be lord Oberyn Clegat, Who is cousin to the girl, and her Uncle, Lord Oberyn Tastan.

I shall also be bringing a party of ten honorable and brave armed knights, champions all, to participate in any tourneys that we may encounter on the way and in your lands. When I return home, they will be honored to remain as part of Lady Rosalin and Lord Andrew's Retinue.

I will also be bringing a nugget of gold as large as a man, drawn from the the Mines, as gift to you, my friend.
To my friend Oberyn Mandon
From your friend Kennith Argerico

As you know, sellswords and rumors abound in the county of Hallsatt- rumors I shall investigate personally. Will it trouble you too much that my boys Jaxton and Payton and their sisters Persephone and Oxanna join your wife (and their sister) Lea to this glorious event?

Top Bottom