1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ArrowNES3: Age's Beginning

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Arrow Gamer, May 25, 2013.

1. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

Yeah, players are free to join as vassals.

2. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

My Farholdings are probably excellent for late players. One of them is led by an independent minded and unmarried women, one of them is only recently conquered and led by an oldish man (who might die quite soon), and one of them is led by a perhaps mentally unstable noble who rose from the ranks.

3. Eltain

Eltain Emperor

Lady Maura Belcourt > Lady Maura Walen.

@Thomas: Is this Lillith Alucard related to my vassal, Lucifer Alucard? I wouldn't mind if she were. I could add a Lillith to his family, unless you were set on having two Alucard families.

4. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

For my vassals, I went and pick and chose from everyone's vassals (Under the assumption that we'de all have been intermarrying for generations (And that it wouldn't interfer with someone's plan by having an extra heir they don't know about). So, it is the same Alucard Family (I tried to stick with your Demonic naming scheme)

5. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Thomas, your geography clashes with mine and where I thought the mountains were.

6. Eltain

Eltain Emperor

Okay, that's fine. Judging by her (children's) age she is Lucifer's (slightly) older sister, unless you wanted her to be a cousin. I do not mind either way.

7. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Do our mountains overlap? My apologies.
    Eltain, it's up to you.

8. Deusselkerr

Deusselkerr Warlord

EDIT: I am an idiot

9. Nirosi

Nirosi Hymenopus Coronatus

Bores Tlön
    What do you think of marriyng your son Askold on my daughter Llewella?

10. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Askold is married already. I no longer have children eligible for partnering with the distinguished noble houses of the land.

11. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

Sorry, just a little bit tied up there. A marriage between Aiya and Bairn would be excellent.

12. Golden1Knight

Golden1Knight Sleep deprived peasant

Posting a good amount of content on the wiki. If I have made mistakes or contradictions, feel free to let me know and I will fix.

13. Arrow Gamer

Like A Phoinex, Arising From the Fire

The years following the Usurper's War were chaos. As the high lords struggled to decide a new king, bandits and robbers ran free, the realm to weak to stop them. As the peasants suffered, the noblemen bargained over petty titles and small government positions. However, negotiations broke down with the assassination of a Mandon vassal, and many claim the Lords of Grey Rock were the first to secede from the dominion.

The tenuous agreement that held the lords together severed, Auronas devolved into splinter states. First, we have the House Amelanchier, rulers of Elsedune. Already one of the most independent High Lords, their secession saw little change to their position. Perhaps the biggest difference from the pre-war state was the sudden allegiance of many nearby lords from the mainland. This sudden increase in wealth saw an expansion of the navy, and the Amelanchier became a great sea power once more. Furthermore, the control of the strait between the Great Inland Sea and the surrounding waterways has caused a great influx of wealth from taxes on trade. However, taxes is not the only way the Elsedune kingdom made money. Genseric took to the seas, raiding, raping and pillaging the defenseless towns on the shore. None of his men actually conquered any land, but many took slaves back, as well as giving tributes to the king. While other, more peaceful, vassals responded with outrage, some (Visand chief among them) agreed. The king has yet to respond, but his answer will push his nation down one path or another.

Next, we turn our gaze upon House Aestis. The only nearby competitor for Amelanchier in naval power, the secession saw great change for them. Being a subordinate to the Lords Mayeux in all but name for much of its existence, due to their control of the peninsula, had weakened Aestis' political clout, but the death of the Dominion rekindled its power. Ruling from their islands, the Lords of the Inulus are a once again a force to be reckoned with, not in the least due to newly acquired territory on the mainland allowing them to bypass the peninsula altogether, avoiding the Mayeux. Some, though, harbor ties to their former sort-of-lords, and are pushing for further ties. Whether this controversy runs deeper than what is being said openly, the king is unsure, but it may warrant further investigation.

Moving to the far north, one sees the House Mandon. The lords of Grey Rock, they are one of the richest families in Auronas. Buoyed by extensive gold mines and a control of northern shipping, their economy is strong and their armies stronger. Since their secession, Mandon has become a powerful name, one of the most imposing in the land. However, not all is well for Oberyn and his realm. His unending lust for women has led to over 50 offspring, creating hundreds of grandkids and seemingly unending claimants to the throne. With his progeny vying for dominance, little attention is given to the peasants, and they have begun to think the noblemen value trifling positions and influence over their well-being. Oberyn has yet to address the undercurrent of doubt directly, and as of yet the problem has gone untouched.

House Mayeux, a major player in the region, is the undisputed ruler of the northern half of the Inulusi peninsula. After conquering the Inulusi, they grew in prestige and power rapidly, through both force and diplomacy. Now, they have familial ties to many major noble houses, securing alliances with most of the betrothals. Safe in his support from other Houses, Lord Mayeux rules from his craggy island, invincible to the navy-less, and nigh impregnable to those with even a substantial fleet. However, the Mayeux have been slower to accept the native ways of their subjects than their southern neighbors, instead choosing to import the northern customs, a choice which has led to much chafing under their rule. Many tribes push for at the very least autonomy, and some of the most ambitious go as far as declaring wishes for independence. Within their jurisdiction, all Mayeuxian vassals have responded, either through force or through honeyed words, but a unified answer has been sorely lacked.

The Blackbeard family, kings of the Western Isles. Ruling the raging seas of their region and the viciously cold northern islands, as well as a substantial parcel of the continent, Lord Blackbeard is truly a force to be reckoned with. His reign is mostly peaceful, unmarked by many of the rebellions facing his eastern neighbors. Despite this lack of threat, problems have been arising from the main island. Pirates, large in number and apparently organized, have been reported raiding shipping and attacking seaside towns. While bearing no insignia, captured ships' maps have shown signs of being from a haven in the north, perhaps near East Hold. Although they've yet to inflict serious damage upon Lord Blackbeard's economy, if left unchecked they may have a massive detrimental effect. Navies have been dispatched, but in no large numbers, finding nothing. The pirates land, do their grisly work, and flee into the northern seas. Mysteries, they are. And dangerous ones, at that.

The best horsemen in the world, it's claimed, but also the harshest men. Uqbar is a land of hard times and harder climates. Covered by mountains, the heartlands of the Tlön is frigid year round, rarely reaching 60° in the summer. In contrast, however, are the planes that surround it, sweeping and fruited, filled with mines and wealth. This contrast may be the realms greatest strength, as it provides tough warriors and rich resources, but also its greatest weakness. Unhappy to be ruled by those they view as 'barbarians and tyrants', the planesmen are quietly and indirectly rebelling against the highlanders. It's in the small things: whispered insults, reduced output from the mines, shoddy smithing. The perpetrators are dragged to the market squares and whipped, but it does little good. Martyrs do nothing to squash a cause.

The Autumnlands. A mystical, enticing name, don't you think? And the realm itself fits it, mythical in its beauty, wonderful in its tranquility. The proudly flaunted fact that an internal attempt at the crown has never been more true. The land prospers, and the king and lords sit fat on their thrones, untroubled by peasant revolts and other such problems that would plague a less rich realm. For now, peace and a just king reigns in the Autumnlands. Whether this wondrous achievement of harmony will last, only time shall tell.

The Belcourts, while not the richest nor the most powerful family in the region (the Mayeux being a chief candidate for both of those), has one thing going for it: the wisdom of the Belcourt line. Knowing where not to stick its nose, the family has survived 200 years of ruling without a war, a feat unmatched throughout the nation. For now, they prosper, devoid of war and internal conflict. Sitting quietly, they are a silent threat, deterring enemies and attracting allies, silently becoming a powerhouse. Not a force many reckon with, the Belcourts terrify other power players in their region.

Vilarix is a name that strikes fear into the hearts of every sane man in the west. Their masterful steel swords strike something very different, but no less terrifying. The lords of the southwestern territories, they reign in a relatively calm state, compared to their neighbors. No openly plotting vassals, no unhappy
    peasants and no external threats. However, the king and his wife quarrel constantly. While not directly solvable, rumors abound about assassination plots, secret lovers and heated arguments. As of yet, only the last seems to actually be truthful, but the people of the realm almost wish the first was, if only to remedy the issue dividing the royal family.

The Argericos. An interesting family, to say the very least. New to royalty, given a lordship only when his mercenary forces came to the aid of the king during one of the various civil wars, he is the chief military presence in the area. Rivaled only by the Uqbar for sheer military background, they sell their services to the highest bidder, plying their trade on the behalf of anyone willing to stake their land as collateral. Through the years they've accumulated various farflung holds across the land, serving as the perfect basing points during long campaigns. Annoyed by being ruled from so far away, The Lord of Southold is amassing sellswords, clearly preparing to break away. His power, while weak, is growing, and the distance could make suppressing a revolt a tall order indeed.

Known for their wine, the House of Nad and their ancient domain of Laskia sit quietly in the west, ever watching. Possessing a reputation for playing politics well, Alvinar and his kin are a prime player in the western region. Sitting on the throne of Lakeport, they direct the cultivation of the finest vintages in Auronas. With no problems as of yet, save minor raids by the Elsedune, they are truly poised to become the world's first superpower since the fall of Auronas.

While their size seems to tell a story of weakness, House Adrien and their twin cities control some of the richest lands in the world. Full to the brim with bustling trade, expansive plains and succulent crops, the limited possessions obviously hold true the tenet of quality over quantity. And how great that quality is. Perhaps too great. The house itself, controlling only Syr Solon and a region surrounding it, has given a long leash to its lords. The twin cities, proud and wealthy, have heron far too uppity for anyone's good, least of all House Adrien, demanding autonomy and yet more power. So far, Constans has dismissed their requests, but this lack of attention has only brightened their flame of pride. Official response is needed, and quickly, in order to squash this insurrection.

It is whispered that the gods themselves aid the smiths of Strangbor. How else could their work be so exquisite? But the lords of the land, the House of Vass knows the true answer: the finest metals, extracted from Strangbor mines only, and the best smiths in the continent. This mastery of metalworking has led to armor above all other, granting great victories on the battlefield. The realm of Vass sits quiet, with no rebellions to speak of. The vassals of the long remain content to sit on their not-inconsiderable subkingdoms, raising no complaints against the wise king. Instead, they are hard at work extorting the mines and sowing the fields, creating a wealthy future for their children.

At first one of the greatest champions of the cause looking for a new High King, Jeod Draenon quickly saw the light of absolute power. Throwing of the shackles of the Dominion, he proclaimed himself Lord Paramount of Tarnost, king of the realm, first of his name. At first, he lacked power enough to back up his lofty title, but he soon raised his levies and swept across the nearby region, accruing quite the prestige in the process. Now, he lords over a wealthy region, yet to encounter any major problems. His beautiful wife and him rule together, leading his kingdom to greatness jointly. And greatness they have achieved.

The Great Houses arose from the anarchy of the king's heir less death, becoming stronger than ever and beginning an new era, a new chapter, a new age. The world is changing, shaking under the feet of these giants. Can the continent survive?

OOC: Stats up later, same with OP update.

14. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

From: His Lordship Jeauseph II of the Noble House Mayeux, Lord of the Eastern Isles, Protector of the Peninsula and Defender of Its People, Loyal Servant of the True High King, Holder of Many Titles...
    To: Lords of the Noble Houses Belcourt, Walen and Aestis

Honored sirs! We live in dark and dangerous days. It is my belief that before we can restore order to the realm we must seek to ensure the order and stability of our own lands. Therefore I propose that in order to maintain the all-important balance of power and to promote normalcy, prosperity and peace amongst our honored houses and our subjects we establish an informal and loose alliance amongst ourselves, to protect what is ours and what is just. This eastern league, as it were, would serve the purpose of unifying our common goals of peace and prosperity under our combined arms, so that we might thwart any threat internal or external to the general peace. I await your responses. The Tenfold smile upon you, gentlemen.

Regards, Jeauseph II of Mayeux, Holder of Many Titles, etc.

15. Arrow Gamer

16. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

Great update. Small problem though, my stats show no stability. (Damn pirates. :p)

17. Arrow Gamer

That shall be fixed shortly.

18. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Can we have more than on UU per nation?

What does the Levy stat indicate? What we can raise or what we have raised? What we can raise in one turn?

19. Arrow Gamer

Multiple UUs are allowed, but too many will cause disunity on the battlefield, especially if teut fighting styles conflict.

Most war is fought through levies raised only in times of war. The levy stat is an approximation of how many units in levies you could raise if necessary. It takes half of one turn, a full one of which is two years, to raise all your levies.

Both if these answers were in the rules. Please check there.

20. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I just reread the rules and fail to find any description of how levies work. I may be blind but i suspect i am not.

Thats all i could find.