Ask A Car Nut

If you could buy any car, what would it be?

My dad loved, as he put it, old Limey junk. His first car was a TR3 too. Perhaps slightly safer than a motorcycle.

I've always wanted a TR4. Prefer the styling.

anyway, best British sports car?
Perhaps. :lol: But back then I was immortal and didn't think too much about those things.

TR4s are great cars as well, but only slightly safer.

I'm particularly fond of TVRs, Loti, and Morgans myself. There are still some great British sports cars being built.

If you could buy any car, what would it be?

Can I pick two?

Link to video.

But given a choice of only one, I'd pick the McLaren F1 over the Bugatti Veyron.

The ex-CEO of the company I worked at owned a McLaren F1. He died in it taking two people "for a spin" in the rain.

Millionaire left list of enemies - Police reject murder theory and blame bad driving for death crash

Accident investigation officers from Essex police said they arrived at the scene to find the car ripped in two and burning wreckage strewn 50 yards along the road.

The car had crashed with such force that the floor panel, one of the strongest features of the car, was embedded in the tree.

C Charles Harris told the inquest: "This accident occurred when Christopher Dawes chose to make use of the massive performance of the vehicle in totally inappropriate conditions."

Is there any tangible benefit to owning a SmartCar?
You can use it as a coffin after an F-150 runs right over you?

Link to video.

While it does stand up remarkably well to frontal crashes given its size, you are still probably going to die in a head-on collision with both vehicles going 35 mph or hitting a solid object at 70, despite the car keeping its basic shape fairly well. It simply subjects the occupants to too many Gs to likely survive.

I would own a Lotus Super 7 sized car again in a heartbeat if there were no semis, SUVs, or pickup trucks on the road. Even so, I may decide what the hell anyway.

Most expensive car you've ever driven, even if it was around a block (like me and an original GT40 -- still counts!)

An original GT40? Lucky you! I'd settle for driving a new one around the block. One of my favorite cars of all time...

I've driven a DE student's 911 Turbo on a race track. I also drove a 944 Turbo with 450 hp at the rear wheels under the same conditions. Both were a lot of fun.

Perhaps the best line in a comedy ever:

WANDA: And when he heard your daughter's name was Portia, he said 'Why did they name her after a car?'

How else could you pronounce Porsche?

What do you think of racing (coomputer) games?

What do you think of racing (coomputer) games?
One has gotten incredibly sophisticated to the point of being an actual simulator that pro racers use in lieu of actual track time, and mere mortals use in lieu of racing actual race cars.

http://www.iracing.com/

Link to video.

This is exactly what Road Atlanta looks like from inside the car. They use incredibly sophisticated equipment to digitally record the track and surroundings to the last detail. Every single car is being controlled by another human located someplace reasonably close physically to cut down on network delay as much as possible.

In the "serious" races, when you do crash "stewards" even review the incidents and assess penalties against your "license", just like in real life.

Link to video.

But you really need something like this to properly "play" it:

Are old VW bugs easy to work on? I heard this from a lot of people who fix cars. Are they reliable (as much as they can be for a 40+ year old car)?

One has gotten incredibly sophisticated to the point of being an actual simulator that pro racers use in lieu of actual track time, and mere mortals use in lieu of racing actual race cars.

http://www.iracing.com/

<snipped video>

This is exactly what Road Atlanta looks like from inside the car. They use incredibly sophisticated equipment to digitally record the track and surroundings to the last detail. Every single car is being controlled by another human located someplace reasonably close physically to cut down on network delay as much as possible.

In the "serious" races, when you do crash "stewards" even review the incidents and assess penalties against your "license", just like in real life.

<snipped video>
Well, a couple relatives of mine are big car nuts and they do tend to participate in such tournaments.
Last week I dropped by the place of one of them and I checked out the tournament forums. There's an entire league system… with moderators and trial runs and qualy real rounds and you need point to qualify for the big championship rounds and so on and so on including docking points for people being rude on Ventrilo/Skype and so on…

It's SRS BSNS.
But you really need something like this to properly "play" it:

<snipped image>
Yup, they have those. Not complete (only one screen, smaller speakers) but the basic form is still there. And they really won't take calls while 'driving'.
They started with Street Rod and they can't stop now…
Nope. It's pronounced: Poor-shhhh!
:high5:

Top Bottom