Ask Iranians

Status
Not open for further replies.
As US Department of State says.

Islamic Republican Party (IRP) was Iran's sole political party until its dissolution in 1987. Iran now has a variety of groups engaged in political activity; some are oriented along ideological lines or based on an identity group, others are more akin to professional political parties seeking members and recommending candidates for office. Conservatives consistently thwarted the efforts of reformists during the Khatami era and have consolidated their control on power since the flawed elections for the seventh Majles in 2004 and president Ahmadi-Nejad's victory in 2005.

How about Baha'i faith? I'm involving in religion activities with Baha'i followers, who are also Iranians in exile, and they are working internationally.

Bahai Faith face some limitation in IranT if somebody known as bahai and declare in a formal jugdemnet as a fellower of Bahai faith probably will dive and killed.
but this is formal view and many poeple by don't declaring thier faith, live in Iran. I know some of them in Hamadan.

In past year I was writing my thesis and my MA in Economics and these days I am studing to participate in employment exams and also some thinking about marrage.
as see I have less time to anser questions and thanks to bloh that get this responsibility and it is fantastic for me to read another iranians view about iran espicially an exiled Iranian.

In past year I was writing my thesis and my MA in Economics and these days I am studing to participate in employment exams and also some thinking about marrage.
as see I have less time to anser questions and thanks to bloh that get this responsibility and it is fantastic for me to read another iranians view about iran espicially an exiled Iranian.

My pleasure. Good luck with your study.

Omidvaram khob pish bere va zendgi khobi dashte bashi dar ayande va dar hale lazeh.

MA?! I thought you were a teenager! My mistake.

And good luck on your career life!

2 Iranians: what are you think about Russia?

2 Iranians: what are you think about Russia?

It's a bit difference. I hate Russia in a way, they also together with countries like USA and UK tried and did damage Iran, for instance during WW2.. cowards attacked Iran without any warning, we did resistance but Russian and UK soldiers was in Iran.. and you know the rest about how things go in a war.. fights, problems .. hell. :rolleyes:

Right now, I am glad Russia exists. It's a superpower that can balance out USA, so that USA don't become too strong. Although Russia even today is some what trying to influence in Iran. I guess I am leaning more about hating Russia but I have nothing against the people.. if the leader does something, it doesn't mean it's the opinion of the people.

Also during the Iran Revolution, even though I say west was behind the revolution .. east had a part of it too. East tried to trick West and make Iran a communist country, so they kinda worked together.. but in the background attacking each other for most influence in Iran.

:king:

Even though this has nothing to do with the topic, it's a small bump with a interesting information:

In Israel there is a statue made with GOLD on Cyrus the Great ..(because he freed them from prison in Babylon etc)

Every time there is Iranian New Year, all jews turn around to Iran and put their hands on their hearts and bow to show their gratitude to Cyrus the Great and Iran and Iranian culture, Iranians etc.

I didn't know that the statue was made of gold, I knew it only existed and the second one I didn't know. Amazing.

I had some Iranian friends in LA 20-25 years ago and my buddy was a great skier and he told me about learning to ski in Iran, which at the time kinda blew my mind cuz I didn't know much about the geography there and couldn't picture ski resorts in the desert.

So what are the most popular ski resorts in Iran?

I had some Iranian friends in LA 20-25 years ago and my buddy was a great skier and he told me about learning to ski in Iran, which at the time kinda blew my mind cuz I didn't know much about the geography there and couldn't picture ski resorts in the desert.

So what are the most popular ski resorts in Iran?

These:
http://www.iranmania.com/travel/tours/ski/ski.asp
http://www.j2ski.com/asian_ski_resorts/Iran/

Yes, they exist. Iran has many different climates, in north, west, east, south, middle.

If you want more let me know or my own words.. I can't say my own words exactly but I can ask some people about it ;)

What do you think about operation ajax? Do you think it set back your country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

Does it only accentuate the West's utter hypocrisy in terms of Iran?

wiki said:
The 1953 Iranian coup d'état saw the overthrow of the democratically-elected administration of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq and his cabinet from power by British and American intelligence operatives working together with elements of the Iranian army. Bribing Iranian officials, news media and others with British and American funds, Kermit Roosevelt, Jr. of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA),[1] organized the covert operation aiding retired Iranian General Fazlollah Zahedi and Colonel Nassiri. The project to overthrow Iran's government was codenamed Operation Ajax (officially TP-AJAX).[2]

The motivation of the coup planners is disputed. According to a report on the BBC, Britain, motivated by its desire to control Iranian oil fields, contributed to funding for the widespread bribery.[citation needed]

The coup has been called "a critical event in post-war world history." It re-installed Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, replacing a democratic-oriented government with a dictatorship, and is thought to have contributed to the 1979 overthrow of the Shah and his replacement with the anti-Western Islamic Republic.[3] In 2000, former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, during the administration of President Bill Clinton, called it a "setback for democratic government" in Iran.[4]

Apologies if this question has already been asked, but I'm not reading the whole thread.

What do you think about your anti-vice chief?

Not really mine. I don't like the current government of Iran and that guy is an ass. No surprise, all of these "muslism" and high positioned people are in bed with everyone, steal, lie, destroy, sabotage, kill, murder.. above the law. I bet that guy . .. .. .. .ed with someone more powerful and he got him into trouble.

What do you think about operation ajax? Do you think it set back your country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

Does it only accentuate the West's utter hypocrisy in terms of Iran?

Apologies if this question has already been asked, but I'm not reading the whole thread.

Operation Ajax never happened, although it was planed by USA.

Operation Ajax was a plan by CIA; the plan was not to install the Shah back into power, but to stop the country from becomming a communist country. How would that be possible? Simple; Mossadegh was new and weak and the communists had plans to destroy Mossadegh and since he was so weak they could easily have done so. The Shah was strong, he could stand against communism.

Operation Ajax failed; the plan never worked as it should. The Shah using the constitution could put Mossadegh away from his power, but Mossadegh refused to do so.. and the person that gave him the message got arrested (It was some general, I can't remember the name), and that's where this so called Operation Ajax failed.

It was the people that started to go out on the streets and scream Javid Shah and wanting him to get back, more and more people joined and wanted the Shah back. At some time military arrived (1 tank and some men) but their leader was amazed at the crowd and saw that in the crowd there were other generals wanting the Shah back, friends of him.. so the general of that military division went to the Shah's side and yelled "Javid Shah" as well. Other military arrived and the same thing happened, when the generals saw their own generals wanting the Shah back, they joined them.

Then they moved on to the office of Mossadegh, where Mossadeghs own son-in-law (Can't remember this one; but he was family with Mossadegh) screamed "Javid Shah".

Mossadegh was put out off office and the Shah was brought back, by the people - not by CIA or any other foreign power.

If CIA puts up some documents about something they are planning to do.. does it mean it must be correct? If Iran's current VAVAK makes a document.. "We installed George Bush Jr. in USA".. must it be true?

Ardeshir Zahedi, an Iranian in this article proves a lot of things. What really happend, how CIA docouments suck etc etc. You can read it here (PDF)

These are things people don't know about Mossadegh, Mossadegh was no "democratically president" infact..

Mossadeqh wanted to close the parliament nor gave a damn about it.
"In invoking the will of the people, Mossadegh operated beyond the law and in clear violation of the constitutional pronouncement"

Majlis granted the premier dictatorial decree of power for six month preriod (The Economist, Mossadegh "forced" the break though his policy of placing loyal supporters in key post to the exclusion of pro-Kashani followers"
Then Mossadegh requested the extension of his decree making powers for another thirteen months, giving him pleanery power to rule without Majlis.

I'm not sure that's true as the prime minister at the time wasn't likely to become communist. And the Shah was still a figure of some power anyway. The elections that installed the government were free and democratic so were the accusation of the CIA being worried about communism came from I don't know? Operation Ajax was set up by the British and after they asked for the US's help the PM was eventually deposed in a relatively bloodless coup. This had nothing to do with communism though, this was because the PM had refused to give favourable oil concessions to the newly formed BP, in order to secure such concessions the British toppled the PM and replaced him with a western puppet figurehead, this then lead to the Shahs overthrow later.

The Shah with help from the west revived the economy at first and built infra structure such as roads and public buildings, even opened new nuclear plants with the help of the US who supplied the reactors and technology and looked set to progress towards nuclear fuel. The problem was the Shah became more and more despotic and less and less interested in the people, which lead to civil unrest eventually. This lead to an overthrow after small scale rioting and after the Army eventually refused to defend the Shah. The coup itself again was remarkably bloodless, being popular and there being no will by the army to fight. The Shah fled eventually to the US, the people then held a vote to install a new government, and there decision was the Republic of Iran, under the control of the ruling clerics. A sort of democracy where the candidacy is chosen from Imams rather than politicians, which have a sort of amphibious role. The proposal of government was voted on by the people and accepted by a large majority.

Where communism comes in here I have no idea to be honest, sounds like US propaganda, the CIA never even formulated Operation Ajax it was the British and it was most decidedly not about communism, unless the communists were running the oil fields.

Thus the huge level of hypocrisy of the US now, and thus them and the UK setting back the democratic process 30 years and the CIA tacitly apologising at a later date. In other words the usual political nonsense dressed up as x.

I don't know where your version of events comes from but I don't think its accepted by most historians. Mossadegh may not have been the best PM in the world, but he was at least democratically elected, and at least he was capable of being overthrown by the democratic process, unlike the Shah who replace him, a Monarchist dictator.

Mossadeqh wanted to close the parliament nor gave a damn about it.
"In invoking the will of the people, Mossadegh operated beyond the law and in clear violation of the constitutional pronouncement"

Still better than an dictator who had even less interest in the people and was only bothered about feathering his own nest. A lackey for the West too.

Majlis granted the premier dictatorial decree of power for six month preriod (The Economist, Mossadegh "forced" the break though his policy of placing loyal supporters in key post to the exclusion of pro-Kashani followers"
Then Mossadegh requested the extension of his decree making powers for another thirteen months, giving him pleanery power to rule without Majlis.

A choice between a douchebag and a turd, no doubt, but to be frank I think your making suggestions of what ifs, what he might of wanted and what he could of realistically got are two different things. Given the choice I'd go for neither, but democracy trumps tyranny.

Operation Ajax may not have worked as it should but without it Mossadegh would not have been toppled , unless at a later date by elections or worst come to worst, outright protest by the people. The people may have felt less than enamoured by the pm, but without the organisation and funding of the two Western governments it would have remained very low key protesting. The UK and US lit the touch paper.

How do you know? Did you live in Iran at that time? Do you know Mossadegh personally? Mossadegh was new as I said and weak. Communists could easily take over the country, either make him a communist or put a communist in his seat. Soviet had the power to do so and they would do it if Shah didn't come back.
CIA was always worried about countries becoming a communist country. Read above and you will understand.
The oil was not the problem, if the oil was a problem the Shah of Iran would not 4x the price and get overthrown by western powers. Shah was also not a puppet of any country.

The Shah with help from Irans oil money revived economy and built all those. Shah did not become more and more despotic. Please put up the evidence for how he became more and more despotatic and less and less interested in people. Is that why Iran during 1970's had 0 % unemployment? Is that why people had freedom? Is that why other parties existed (after their attempt to kill the Shah and terrorist attemps it was banned)? Is that why Shah forgave Parviz Nikkha who tried to kill him? I gave a list earlier on people that HATED the Shah but he forgave them and they later became useful people in the country.

You talk as if you are Iranian and know everything better than me. I think I know how Iran is and works better than what you do, no offense. The Shah ordered the army not to fire and kill anyone, he left the country himself peacefully in order to prevent a bloodbath. The elections were a bit different, first of all.. you never know if it was rigged or not, secondly, who would vote for the Shah to come back when these fanatic islamist would kill, torture, rape, stone, hang? Thirdly, on the vote ballots, they put a guard there with weapon watching everyone, and a cow was hanged there which is a insult in Iran that people who vote for the Shah is a cow. Please, don't talk as if you were there and know everything. It was no democracy, there is still no democracy. Democracy existed during the time of Shah, to 50 % and the rest 50 % was dictatorship.. which does not mean that he was a bad dictator but rather a good one.

To understand commnuism you need to be a little bit unbiased and open-minded. It seems like you just posted that to try and fight with me. It seems like you were ready for that kind of response..."I didn't read the past pages." yeah right. You seem to be angry with me because of what I said and keep defending Mossadegh.

I will go write a book now saying that I installed and made USA and UK; it must mean it's true right? or maybe the intelligence agency of Iran VAVAK (today) can make a report saying they put George Bush into power and then apologize, it must mean it's true.. right?

My version of event comes from people who participated in this coup, my version comes from people who lived during those days. My information comes from books, papers etc against Mossadegh. If he was a man he would not stand against the consitution of Iran. The Shah had the power to remove him.

"Still better than an dictator who had even less interest in the people and was only bothered about feathering his own nest. A lackey for the West too."
1) Put up the evidence on: Him being less interested in the people.
2) Explain how he was a dictator
3) The evidence on that he only bothered about feathering his own nest.
4) The evidence that he was a lackey for the west.

-

The douchbag is youModerator Action: <...> . Now that you insulted this discussion with you has ended. Insulting my King gets you nowhere.
Moderator Action: Language editted.
You are just pissed because our Shah called you english people "Lazy people" and he was right, you are truly lazy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DKYlvyZwHHU
Enjoy, blue eyed kid.

The Shah made Iran into a great power and people like you, the west, never likes it when other countries in Asia or somewhere else becomes better than you. You are pissed that Iran was becoming better and greater than UK slowly. In fact we gave loans to UK for fixing their water dam! LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

What you mean links like the one I already gave and this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

I'm thinking you see his reign through rose tinted spectacles? Did you live through his government either? Do you know first hand what happened?

The Shah came to power during World War II after an Anglo-Soviet invasion forced the abdication of his father, Reza Shah. Mohammad Reza Shah's rule oversaw the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry under the prime ministership of Mohammad Mossadegh. During the Shah's reign, Iran celebrated 2,500 years of continuous monarchy since the founding of the Persian Empire by Cyrus the Great. His White Revolution, a series of economic and social reforms intended to transform Iran into a global power, succeeded in modernizing the nation, nationalizing many natural resources and extending suffrage to women, among other things. However, a partial failure of the land reform, the lack of democratization as criticized by some of his opponents, as well as the decline[disputed] of the traditional power of the Shi'a clergy due to parts of the reforms, increased opposition to his authority.

While a Muslim himself, the Shah gradually lost support from Muhammad Zain Elahi the great Shi'a clergy of Iran, particularly due to his strong policy of Westernization and recognition of Israel. Clashes with the religious right, increased communist activity, Western interference in the economy, and a 1953 period of political disagreements with Mohammad Mossadegh, eventually leading to Mossadegh's ousting, would cause an increasingly autocratic rule. In 2000, U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright stated:

"In 1953 the United States played a significant role in orchestrating the overthrow of Iran's popular Prime Minister, Mohammed Massadegh. The Eisenhower Administration believed its actions were justified for strategic reasons; but the coup was clearly a setback for Iran's political development. And it is easy to see now why many Iranians continue to resent this intervention by America in their internal affairs."[1]

Various controversial policies were enacted, including the banning of the Tudeh Party and the oppression of dissent by Iran's intelligence agency, SAVAK; Amnesty International reported that Iran had as many as 2,200 political prisoners in 1978. By 1979, the political unrest had transformed into a revolution which, on January 16, forced the Shah to leave Iran after 37 years of rule. Soon thereafter, the revolutionary forces transformed the government into an Islamic republic.

Spoiler :
In the early 1950s, there was a political crisis centered in Iran that commanded the focused attention of British and American intelligence outfits. In 1951 Dr. Mossadegh came to office, committed to re-establish the democracy, constitutional monarchy, and nationalizing the Iranian petroleum industry, which was controlled by the British. From the start he erroneously believed that the Americans, who had no interest in Anglo-Iranian Oil company, would support his nationalization plan. He was buoyed by the American Ambassador, Henry Grady. In the events, Americans supported the British, and fearing that the Communists with the help of Soviets were posed to overthrow the government they decided to remove Mossadegh from the office. Shortly before the 1952 presidential election in the US the British government invited Kermit Roosevelt of the CIA to London and proposed that they cooperate under the code name &#8220;Operation Ajax&#8221; to cause the downfall of Mossadegh from office.[3].

In 1951, under the leadership of the nationalist movement of Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh, the Iranian parliament voted unanimously to nationalize the oil industry. This shut out the immensely profitable Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), which was a pillar of Britain's economy and political clout. A month after that vote, Mossadegh was named Prime Minister of Iran.

Under the direction of Kermit Roosevelt, Jr., a senior CIA officer and grandson of the former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, the CIA and British intelligence funded and led a covert operation to depose Mossadegh with the help of military forces loyal to the Shah, known as Operation Ajax.[4] The plot hinged on orders signed by the Shah to dismiss Mossadegh as prime minister and replace him with General Fazlollah Zahedi, a choice agreed on by the British and Americans. Despite the high-level coordination and planning, the coup initially failed, causing the Shah to flee to Baghdad, later leaving for Rome. After a brief exile in Italy, the Shah returned to Iran, this time through a successful second attempt at the coup. The deposed Mossadegh was arrested, given a show trial, and condemned to death.[citation needed] The Shah commuted this sentence to solitary confinement for three years in a military prison, followed by house arrest for life.[citation needed] Zahedi was installed to succeed Prime Minister Mossadegh.

The American Embassy in Tehran was reporting that Mossadegh had near total support from the nation and was unlikely to fall. The prime minister asked the Majles to give him direct control of the army. Given the situation, alongside the strong personal support of Eden and Churchill for covert action, the American government gave a go-ahead to a committee, attended by the Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, Kermit Roosevelt, Ambassador Henderson, and Secretary of Defense Charles Erwin Wilson. Kermit Roosevelt returned to Iran on July 13 and on August 1 in his first meeting with the shah. A car picked him up in the midnight and drove him to the palace. He lay down on the seat and covered himself with a blanket as guards waved his driver through the gates. The shah got into the car and Roosevelt explained the mission. The CIA provided $1 million in Iranian currency, which Roosevelt had stored in a large safe, a bulky cache given the exchange rate 1000 rial = 15 dollars at the time.[5].

The Communists staged massive demonstrations to hijack the prime minister&#8217;s initiatives. The United States had announced its total lack of confidence in him; and his followers were drifting to indifference. On August 16, 1953, the right wing of the Army reacted. Armed with an order by the shah, appointing General Fazlollah Zahedi as prime minister, a coalition of mobs and retired officers close to the Palace, attempting what could be counted as a coup d&#8217;etat. They failed dismally. The shah fled the country in a humiliating haste. Even Ettelaat, the nation&#8217;s largest daily newspaper, and its pro-shah publisher Abbas Masudi, published negative commentaries on the shah.[6]

In the following two days the Communists turned against Mossadegh. They roamed Tehran raising red flags and pulling down statues of Reza Shah. This frightened the conservative clergies like Kashani and National Front leaders like Makki, who sided with the shah. On August 18, Mossadegh hit back. Tudeh Partisans were clubbed to be dispersed.[7]

Tudeh had no choice but to accept the defeat. In the meantime, according to the CIA plot, Zahedi appealed to the military, and claimed to be the legitimate prime minister and charged Mossadegh with staging a coup by ignoring the shah&#8217;s decree. Zahedi&#8217;s son Ardeshir acted as the go-between for the CIA and his father. On August 19th the thugs organized with $100,000 of the CIA funds finally appeared, marched out of south Tehran into the city center, other mobs joined in. Gang with clubs, knives, and rocks controlled the street overturning Tudeh trucks and beating up anti-shah activists. As Roosevelt was congratulating Zahedi in the basement of his hiding place the new prime minister&#8217;s mobs burst in and carried him upstairs on their shoulders. That evening Ambassador Henderson suggested to Ardashir that Mossadegh not be harmed. Roosevelt furnished Zahedi with $900,000 left from the operation Ajax funds. The shah returned to power, but never extended the elitism of the court to the technocrats and intellectuals who emerged from Iranian and Western universities. Indeed, his system irritated the new classes, for they were barred from partaking in real power.[8]

The Shah used secret imprisonment and extensive torture to maintain power. Amnesty International estimated the Shah's political prisoners at 60,000 to 100,000 in number.[22]

In October 1971, the Shah celebrated the twenty-five-hundredth anniversary of the Iranian monarchy. The New York Times reported that $100 million was spent.[23] Next to the ruins of Persepolis, the Shah gave orders to build a tent city covering 160 acres, studded with three huge royal tents and fifty-nine lesser ones arranged in a star-shaped design . French chefs from Maxim&#8217;s of Paris prepared breast of peacock for royalty and dignitaries around the world, the buildings were decorated by Maison Jansen (the same firm that helped Jacqueline Kennedy redecorate the White House), the guests ate off Ceraline Limoges china and drank from Baccarat crystal glasses. This became a major scandal for the contrast between the dazzling elegance of celebration and the misery of the nearby villages was so dramatic that no one could ignore it. Months before the festivities, university students struck in protest. Indeed, the cost was sufficiently impressive that the shah forbade his associates to discuss the actual figures.[24][25]

Cottam has argued that the longevity of the Shah&#8217;s rule was due largely to his success in balancing his security chiefs against each other. Although the shah was clearly willing to utilize instruments of terror to remain in power, he nevertheless was probably sincere about wishing to bring economic, social, and political reform to his country.

Still think it's a straight choice between a democratic turd and a dictatorial douchebag. Sorry.

I'm not defending Mossadegh at all.

As a Westerner you can be pretty sure I'm not in favour of Soviet Russia or the current Iranian regime.

Still the fact is the British had oil concerns, the Prime Minister wasn't prepared to meet them, so they formulated Operation Ajax, and asked the US to help, that is at least indisputable. And I am British so I'm not trying to misrepresent my nation before you get that idea.

The US, sounds more like them being worried about the Russians getting there hands on oil concessions from a pro communist party, than anything about Iran becoming a communist state to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom