• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Jono

Emperor
Has anyone else found the size-limits on avatars (4 kb) and profile pictures (15 kb) rather limiting?

Yea - kinda. Every avatar i had had to be fixed to fit to the limit. But i dunno how much these things can slow down the server ...

no. not at all. drop by the avatar help thread if you need some work. I've never had any problems with an avatar when using basic software

No. Then again, I've had three avatars in my five years here.

(And this is the first and current one.)

The only other avatar i have is a non chirssmassy this one, before that i just used a knight from civ2, back in the days when you couldn't use your own pictures!

I've had one for the past 4 years, but it as been improved over that time. I do wish avatars could be a bit bigger though.

Oi! Thats Al Costa`s old avatar you`ve got there, Khan of Ferrets! I missed that thing. I missed it alot. Nice to see someone is using it :)

(not sure if its exactly the same ferret, but anyway, I like ferrets.)

The good old Ferret days. That's a different one, unfortunately. I think I might bring back the ferret after the Skins completely suck it up (about Week 8) or the season is over.

I'm very happy that the avatar limit is the size that it is, because otherwise people would have bigger avatars. That's just distracting. An avatar is supposed to be an "icon", in the same way icons in windows differentiate one program from the next. You don't need anything bigger than 4k or 70x70px to do that.

Indeed, I think the limit means that we have to be more creative about how we represent ourselves on this forum; making the smallest possible icon that represents what you want the world to see about you is very satisfying, and requires a certain level of artistic-ness. (Says the guy with a lil smoking cat...)

aren't they the standard for forums?
Give or take 5 or 10 pixels, they're the default for most forums. However, the forum admins can make further adjustments as they like. Personally, I like larger avatars (at least 100x100).

I'm very happy that the avatar limit is the size that it is, because otherwise people would have bigger avatars. That's just distracting. An avatar is supposed to be an "icon", in the same way icons in windows differentiate one program from the next. You don't need anything bigger than 4k or 70x70px to do that.
Party-pooper.

All that said, this is only the second avatar I've ever used here (besides those I tried out and rejected as not looking right). I had one of the gallery ones, and after I met the required number of posts and membership duration, I switched to the ankh that I have now.

But I've got so many nifty 100x100 ones in my collection that I can't show off here... :(

People with big avatars are merely trying to compensate for small postcounts. :rolleyes:

People with big postcounts are merely trying to compensate for small [insert a witty response here]. :p

People with big postcounts are merely trying to compensate for small [insert a witty response here]. :p
Yes, we compensate for the small number of people as smart as us by posting more.

@ Lozzy Ozzy: Thanks man! Or said another way:
Spoiler :

My avatar is now inflated,
Fully fed and clearly sated,
But his trim physique is under four--
No posting diet is in store;
To Lozzy Ozzy, my tipped chappeau
And on you my thanks I do bestow. :hatsoff:

Top Bottom