AVS:1 OCC for beginners, my first hosted SG :)

andvruss

Deity
I've been playing SG's for a little while, so I thought I'd finally start one! :)
Size: large
Land: Archipelago
Barbarians: Sedentary
80% Water
Difficulty: Regent
Civ: Byzantium
Vicitory: Diplo, 20K, or Space Ship are the only ones I could think would be suitable for an OCC
Patch: C3C 1.15
Rules: OCC means One City Challenge. So, we shall build ooe and only one city ever. No capturing, and then abandoning cities, and if we decide to goto war, then only razing enemy cities. Also, no Right of Passage abusements, and try to avoid breaking deals with other civs.

If this generates interest, I'll post a screenie once we decide our civ.
15 turns per person.

Roster:
andvruss-up now
Barbslinger-on deck
Hooray
Skunk-just played
CivGeneral-MIA

While I have, unfortuanly, hit my SG maximum right now & won't be able to join, I wish you the best of luck.

I'd also suggest trying a Regent OCC, you can definatly handle it judging by some of the SGs we've been in together.

My plate's a little full right now, but I'll watch this with interest.

I'd suggest either Babylon (cheap culture buildings) or India (no resources for UU) as a good choice. If you want to make it hard pick the Zulu or the Mongols as both need a lot of cities to win games.

I agree with GK that you'd probably get more joiners on Regent (or even Monarch).

BTW, Vanilla, PTW or C3C for the version?

As an aside, I saw a OCC always at war conquest victory on a tiny map early on this forum, quite a fun read.

Hopefully a nice river start with good shield potential on the coast. I for get because I usually play emporer or demigod. Is is Warlord, Chieftain, regent, Monarch or Chieftain, Warlord, regent, Monarch? If Warlord is 1st I would like to try Chieftain. If it is 2nd I am fine and open to going to regent.
For civ, off the top of my head, I would say a commercial, religious.

I've been wanting to try an OCC lately, but am too much of a coward to try one in a solo game.
Mind if I join, andvruss?

Scientific civs are good for OCCs, I've heard. You should probably rule out Expansionist and Militaristic traits. And probably Agricultural, too. Commercial or Seafaring may be good for the extra money. Industrious *could* be okay since we wouldn't need to build very many workers. Religious would be good if we plan to go for Cultural.
My civ suggestions: Babylon, Korea, Greece, Persia, Ottomans, or maybe even England for both the Commercial and Seafaring commerce bonuses.
Personally I'm leaning toward Babylon.

I considered the scientific trait also. I think that at lower levels we should be able to outresearch during the beginning and with diligence on the F4 make 2-fer's and 3-fer's later. I still favor commercial for the money to trade with and religious for the cheaper culture. Temple as 2nd,3rd build perhaps with a pop rush. I will see how that works out in a test start tonight.

The biggest trait for OCCs is IMHO scientific, without a doubt. When your income is severly crippled that bonus tech or two really helps out. You can often turn that free tech into a 40 turn gambit(on the next tech in line) and it almost always pays off.

Probably #2 is Religious(pre CQ, definatly), because cheap temples are always a plus when you're going for a 20k win(which is generally the way to go on a OCC). Plus you'll be switching governments at least once, and since you only have 1 city and those anarchy turns are killer.

Seafairing is great(my 2nd favorite in Conquests) as well because it guarantees you a coast, and the Collossus is probably the singles best wonder for an OCC(with the GL falling at 2nd or tied for 1st). Not to metion if you use an achipeg you'll make contacts alot quicker & can broker those for some much needed techs, and keep communications severed thereby slowing down the tech pace to something you can manage with only 1 city.

Expansionist is decent, for the same reasons as Seafairing, but without the Ocean aspect.

Wasted traits: Industrious(you will only ever need 2-3 workers tops, chances are after a war you'll get rid of them & rely on slaves), Militaristic(unless going for a bash everyone win), Commercia(the traits biggest advantage is the decreased corruption, wasted when you only have 1 city), Argricultural(while it might help a little in the early game, it's advantage is very shortly lived).

My 2c

Good luck guys, I'll be lurking on this one. :D

Thanks for the information Genghis! I think Scientific would be a very nice trait, but maybe a little less because our science gambits would be longer (longest possible turns to research something is 50 turns). Also, the creation of the SGL and of MGL not able to rush GW will encourage us to make a little warfare as possible, and try to research more breakthrough techs.

I re-read what the commercial trait and find that it gives extra commerce to city 'center' only. I was assuming that it was all worked tiles. In light of that information, if correct, I would opt for scientific or seafaring with Byzantines just edging Babylon. Getting the quick contacts and a monopoly on contact could prove extremely profitable until Persia or someone demands it.

That brings up another tip for you(last one then I'll shut up & leave you guys to your game;)), check the diplo screen every turn. If your up a tech on people & everyone has a little bit of gold(30g or so), go ahead & sell the tech around for whatever you can get. Otherwise someone will eventually demand it, and chances are you'll be to weak to say no at that point, then since it's still the AI's turn they'll sell it around to everyone else.

And the biggest thing about OOC(ok, I lied this is the last one:lol: ), although this goes without saying, it needs to be said: Your reputation is pricelss, cherish it, love it, hug it even. To break it, is pretty much to lose the game.

Originally posted by Gengis Khan
That brings up another tip for you(last one then I'll shut up & leave you guys to your game;)), check the diplo screen every turn. If your up a tech on people & everyone has a little bit of gold(30g or so), go ahead & sell the tech around for whatever you can get. Otherwise someone will eventually demand it, and chances are you'll be to weak to say no at that point, then since it's still the AI's turn they'll sell it around to everyone else.

And the biggest thing about OOC(ok, I lied this is the last one:lol: ), although this goes without saying, it needs to be said: Your reputation is pricelss, cherish it, love it, hug it even. To break it, is pretty much to lose the game.

Dont stop! More helpful tips! :D Thanks for your input. You're a great SG-er! :goodjob:

I would like to join. I have won a 20K cultural OCC win once (that's generally concidered the easiest win on OCC) and I think I could handle another SG.

I agree that Scientific is a very nice trait for an OCC. Some traits depend a bit on the map; on an archipelago or continents map you would really, really want to be on the coast, hence seafaring, on a pangea expansionist would be almost as good as in normal play. Militaristic is quite useless unless you're insane enough to go for a conquest/AW variant. Industrious is nice but limited. Religious give some boost for a cultural victory. Commercial and Agricultural fall under the rule "when you only have one city, every little bonus counts." :)

Persia, Babylon, Ottomans and Greece are good choices.
But I would vote for Byzantines on a continents map, partly because I haven't played as them yet. :)

Gengis Khan has lots of good and valid points about an OCC (hear, hear) :) I would once again like to stress the point that The Colossus is a very good wonder in an OCC.

Regent is fine by me. (Anything less would not be fair to the AI :) )

good luck guys, most of you see me too much and I'll just enjoy watching (there's no chance I can provide anything helpful anyways :nospam: )

Is there room for one more? Since I would like to try a OCC.

Originally posted by andvruss
Thanks for the information Genghis! I think Scientific would be a very nice trait, but maybe a little less because our science gambits would be longer (longest possible turns to research something is 50 turns). Also, the creation of the SGL and of MGL not able to rush GW will encourage us to make a little warfare as possible, and try to research more breakthrough techs.

Why would you go for minimum science? Note that the AI will not be having full contact until middle or late industrial age. There will always be one or more civs to trade a tech with even when you are 2nd or 3rd to it.

I have just finished an OCC Space Race that I reported in 'Stories & Tales. In that game I only went min science once: for Republic. The reason for that was that max science didn't give me the tech faster.

Barbslinger has an excellent point when he says that seafaring is very strong (early contact).

PS. this is not a sign up...

It was continents, not even archipelago and was making spearmen for along tme before met a religious civ. I'm thinking perhaps a religious, Scientific to make it "easier" for us. Actually I think with diligent F4 activity we will prevail no matter whom we choose.

I can see this game is running with the latest patch. Good since Im ready :)

Top Bottom