Best Years To Be Born In?

Which century/epoch/decade to be born in?

• Pre-recorded history (up to 3000 BC)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ancient era (3000 BC - 500 BC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Classical era (500 BC - AD 500)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Dark Ages (AD 500 - AD 800)

• Medieval era (AD 800 - AD 1400)

• Renaissance era (1400 - 1600)

• Early Modern era (1600 - 1700)

• Age of Enlightenment (1700 - 1820)

• 19th Century (1820 - 1900)

• 1900-1920

• 1920-1940

• 1940s

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1950s

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • 1960s

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1970s

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • 1980s

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • 1990s

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Early 21st century (2000s-2050s)

• Future (21st century - 26th century)

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Distant future (26th century - ...)

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters
Dachs, I kept wanting to say that but I didn't want to edit or double post, so thanks. There's no shortage of action in today's world. Glory on the battlefield can still be had by all.

Dachs, I kept wanting to say that but I didn't want to edit or double post, so thanks. There's no shortage of action in today's world. Glory on the battlefield can still be had by all.
actually it was deliberately ambiguous so it could be interpreted either as stating that there was no glory in any war or that the world wars had plenty of glory just like every other one

Well I did not state that but I was thinking it. I was, however, answering with the premise of Omega, that there could be glory in war, and therefore today's wars are just as glorious.

we should develop a sliding scale of glory in wars

and mutually accepted subjective units of glory for easy comparison

:lol:
May I suggest weighted critereon like

"Uniform Pizazz"
"Presence of Celebrated Elite"
"Rhetoric and Contrast of Ideological Struggle"
and of course "Ability to Inspire Alt-History Stories"

It was just as glorious as any other war.
My reasons for saying that it's less glorious would be the massive dehumanization of combat from the unprecedentedly deadly artillery and use of chemical warfare against soldiers on both sides. Adding to that is the fact that the war had a very unsatisfactory resolution that did not even last two decades, and that its justifications, even in hindsight, are very weak. While we can look with hindsight at World War Two and say that Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were doing some awful things and had some very disagreeable ideologies that were worth fighting to put an end to, all of the major players in World War One were coming from comparatively more similar moral positions.

I remember hearing the argument somewhere from a typical American conservative that the Entente was democratic while the Central Powers were all dictatorships and therefore the Entente was better. I had trouble not laughing.

To be fair, I can see how people would have that impression, since England and France were a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament and a republic respectively. Germany and Austria-Hungary both had parliaments, but had much greater power vested in their hereditary monarchs. Ottoman Turkey and Czarist Russia, however, were both very absolutist monarchies. My point being that there was a greater amount of what we would consider to be democracy in the Entente than in the Central Powers, although it's obviously not black and white.

Indeed, I just had trouble swallowing their black and white argument.

I just realized that I'd forgotten about the Russian Duma which is an exceedingly small movement away from authoritarianism towards a more liberal democracy. Doesn't make a huge difference in the 'Entente is Democratic' argument though.

I remember hearing the argument somewhere from a typical American conservative that the Entente was democratic while the Central Powers were all dictatorships and therefore the Entente was better. I had trouble not laughing.

I think I heard worse similar in Britain. The Entente deserved to win and were morally right because the Germans practised Darwinism.

If I were able to choose my dob, it would probably be somewhere in the 1970s.

1900-1920. Age of enlightenment, and amazing music.

But then you'd just be at a particularly bad age when the great depression hit.

.... Promotion of union power, super high income tax rates, greed-is-bad culture, federal troops enforcing education integration, federally subsidized housing, the creation of government sponsored civilian space exploration, budget surpluses ( :mischief: )... A complete and utter adherence to Keynesian economic policy prescriptions.

and that's off the top of my head.

Greed is bad culture? Wuuut? :O

Greed is bad culture? Wuuut? :O

The understanding that what was good for everyone was, in fact, good for everyone. So it's better to allow everyone to become better off rather than just grabbing everything possible for the rich at the expense of everyone else.

Riiight.
Well the unsubstantiated right-wing cariciture position as posited by NickyJ is actually a reality for leftists. Very interesting ;p

Top Bottom