Brazil - Pedro II Thread

Ed talked a bit about it during yesterday's stream : https://youtu.be/oRSbI8NANno?t=3546

basically :

- It hosted the world cup in brazil
- It's going to host the opening ceremony of the olympics ("that country statement of why they should win the cultural victory")
- It's a south-american world wonder (they want to have world wonders from everywhere around the world)
- It's a late-game wonder

Also it was the largest stadium in the world at the time of its completion.

Ed talked a bit about it during yesterday's stream : https://youtu.be/oRSbI8NANno?t=3546

basically :

- It hosted the world cup in brazil
- It's going to host the opening ceremony of the olympics ("that country statement of why they should win the cultural victory")
- It's a south-american world wonder (they want to have world wonders from everywhere around the world)
- It's a late-game wonder

Also it was the largest stadium in the world at the time of its completion.

Also, it had the highest public on any world cup match, 200.000 people on the decisive Brazil x Uruguay match. I don't know, but maybe this attendance was even the largest of any sports event.

If you want something to represent modern world "people's entertainment", it is professional sports.

Actually, I'd argue it's either film or music. Everyone watches movies, everyone listens to music, not everyone watches sports.

Actually, I'd argue it's either film or music. Everyone watches movies, everyone listens to music, not everyone watches sports.

Sports have been the most popular form of entertainment since the dawn of man one wayor another. from Mayan Ball Courts to Professional Video Playing.

Sports have been the most popular form of entertainment since the dawn of man one wayor another. from Mayan Ball Courts to Professional Video Playing.
I'd argue storytelling and music have been the most popular. Yes, sports have always existed, but so have storytelling and music. Yes, sports are big business; so are music and cinema. And unlikely obscenely overpaid professional athletes, musicians and actors at least produce a product to justify their income.

Also, it had the highest public on any world cup match, 200.000 people on the decisive Brazil x Uruguay match. I don't know, but maybe this attendance was even the largest of any sports event.

I think the Indy 500 held 350.000 once. Other race courses like Le Mans are also big, as are the horse race tracks in Britain. The 200.000 at Maracanã is still top 20 in the world, though.

Hope there is a special achievement to beat a Brazilian scout with a German mercenary on the Maracanã with 7 hitpoints to 1 ....

"Maracaña? ... my Spanish probably not the best there..." - Ed

Your Spanish is fine, but that's the problem :lol:

But I just can't be mad at him.

I'm more mad at him because I'm fairly sure they had no idea in regards to the Trade Agreement with England joke. :mischief:

I'd argue storytelling and music have been the most popular. Yes, sports have always existed, but so have storytelling and music. Yes, sports are big business; so are music and cinema. And unlikely obscenely overpaid professional athletes, musicians and actors at least produce a product to justify their income.

Yyeaa.. I do agree with that, but we have Great Music and Great Writing pieces that are a more important part of the game, all we have with Sports is a last tier tech/civic and a late-game wonder.

I'd say these are different forms of entertainement. I agree music/movies are a big entertainement industry, but they are "passive"/"individual"/"scripted". Except for specific cases (with strong artistic current fanatics), movies and music involving you enjoying something that is set-up, and that is expected. You may cheer your favorite band at a concert, but you do not feel- except, as said, on extreme cases, part of the band.

On the other hand, sports appeal to a more "competitive"/"groupal/tribal"/"involved" entertainement. While I'm not saying there is not competition in other fields, the win/lose mechanic is much stronger as sports, as well as the "need" to follow an specific team and feel part of it. While there can be people feeling bad because their favourite artist is not touring around, or the next movie in their favorite franchise not turning out as good as expected, i think it is not comparable to the quantity of people whose mood every monday depends on what was the result for his football/basketball/soccer/baseball... team the day before.

And, while we have Broadway to represent the first kind of entertainement, whe missed something to represent the second. And maybe this is one of the best definitions we can made: Maracana is the Broadway of soccer.

"Maracaña? ... my Spanish probably not the best there..." - Ed

Your Spanish is fine, but that's the problem [emoji38]

But I just can't be mad at him.
Well, it worries me a bit that the lead designer of a Civilization game is not aware they don't speak Spanish in Brazil. I mean, if he somehow thinks Brazil was colonized by Spain, what does that say about Portugal's chances to be in a future expansion? :crazyeye:

Well, it worries me a bit that the lead designer of a Civilization game is not aware they don't speak Spanish in Brazil. I mean, if he somehow thinks Brazil was colonized by Spain, what does that say about Portugal's chances to be in a future expansion? :crazyeye:

:lol:

He was the lead design of BNW, so he definitely knows a bit about Brazil and Portugal. He even talked about Manaus in that video. The Spanish thing was just a slip, he was probably thinking about the Alcides Ghiggia's quote.

Pedro should look like this.
Spoiler :

I mean, straight face, straight nose, straight eyes, more serious look, wisdom in his eyes etc.

But he looks fat on the face just as Teddy did at the beginning, and he has got that strange pointy nose. Hopefully, they can still improve it.

Pedro should look like this.

Spoiler :

I mean, straight face, straight nose, straight eyes, more serious look, wisdom in his eyes etc.

But he looks fat on the face just as Teddy did at the beginning, and has got that strange pointy nose. Hopefully, they can still improve it.

Agreed. Pedro looks far too cartoony to fit in with the more realistic leader models found for other civs. Like Victoria he looks too much like an Aardman animation character. I think ta the unrealistic nose in part.

Lol. Most musicians don't even write their own music any more. Well, the popular ones, anyway. Certainly there are some talented actors nowadays but most movies (at least in Hollywood) are uninspired formulaic dreck.

Anyway, the Maracana Stadium is a good addition to the series. :)

Unfortunately I think I will exclude Pedro from most of my games. His agenda makes no sense (why would he dislike others who seek out intellectuals? In the real world he visited Europe a lot to talk with intellectuals from other nations, and to my knowledge he didn't dislike the French or German governments for having great people--if anything it was the opposite). And yes, he does indeed look like an Aardman Animation pirate. Made of plasticine. Not the heroic Pedro II from my readings.

Top Bottom