Bumble's Great Adventure Take 3

I think we would only need about ten or so committed players.

I designate myself as the unofficial cheerleader. I will get you those ten!

First step is to if Bumble is still around and where he is physically. He had some trinkets with him as he travelled too. Then we can set up a travel schedule among those interested in participating.

Hold that thought until we know whether @schlaufuchs has Bumble.

Whatever you decide (I'm not opting in to this, just offering a bit of advice)... be aware that due to the pandemic some mail service between countries takes much longer than usual, and Christmas is coming up... and there are some countries that flatly refuse to mail parcels to other countries. Plan your route accordingly and check the postal rules wherever you are and wherever you plan to send it.

I volunteer to handle this end of the world.

@Birdjaguar - Was the B'more lean a thing when you were there?
It seems to have spread to other parts of the USA where some residents seem to be looking for Bumble.

Is that a volunteering post for getting it rolling?

I think what the project needs is initiative. Someone to get it rolling, but probably also someone to keep it on track. I like Truthy's suggestion of a Bumble manager, and still like Narz's idea of a small test run.

We also need an item, whether it's a journal, camera, abominable snowman, or something else. I think I saw Bumbles for sale in a local drugstore about five years ago, but the closest I found tonight is this Bumble-style dog toy, which is 9 inches long (what was the original Bumble? similar or slightly larger?): https://www.amazon.com/Rudolph-Rein...BMZTV/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B09KDBMZTV&th=1

Another candidate would be one of IKEA's plushies (https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/soft-toys-18740/?page=2), which have the advantage of being resupplyable in many places in the world should one go missing. Many of them are a big large for reasonable postage rates, but some are smaller, such as the giant panda (12 inches, https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/kramig-soft-toy-white-black-90221318/), the gray-and-white cat (9 3/4 inches, https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/lilleplutt-soft-toy-cat-gray-white-60260453/), and assorted miniatures (5 1/2 inches, https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/djungelskog-soft-toy-assorted-designs-80402847/). Alas, the stegasaurus (19 inches, https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/jaettelik-soft-toy-dinosaur-dinosaur-stegosaurus-40471220/) might be too large.

If we need a test run of something to mail around to see if candidates can successfully mail an item to the next person, I'd be happy to start mailing a Buffalo subway ticket around the world. Maybe with a nice sheet of paper about the journey that we could each sign before mailing on the subway ticket, so it's still kind of cool to receive but not as disappointing if it goes missing over the Himalayas as it would be for the actual item.

Or maybe postcard + letter would make more sense? Send a postcard of somewhere near where you live, along with the letter, the next person signs the letter and swaps in their own postcard, keeping the first one as a souvenir. It would be a little extra effort relative to the green army man/Buffalo subway card as it would require procuring a postcard, but that might be a better test for whether someone is likely to continue mailing on the yeti, which also requires a bit more effort than just putting a stamp on it (due to being package class).

Do you have any idea how much a 19-inch plush animal would cost in postage? Getting anything from the U.S. now is brutally expensive unless you have Amazon Prime or are dealing with a company that actually tries to keep international costs reasonable. I can't even afford a NaNoWriMo T-shirt most years unless they have a discount of at least 20% and the exchange rate isn't insane.

I wish I knew what happened to the camera that was sent around the first time we tried this. I risked meeting a bobcat in a wildlife sanctuary to get a picture.

I don't exactly, but suspicion that it would be too high is why the smaller animals seem like a better option.

I think that was the one that got posted from Europe to Australia, the recipient was on vacation, it got returned to sender, sent back to Australia, and never heard from again? The theory was it fell off the plane somewhere over the Himalayas, though more likely it just got lost at some freight depot.

Props on the bravery for going to meet a bobcat. That sounds scarier than the bison I took Bumble to meet on the first go-round.

2BEAC905-356F-47A7-8E67-C80BDA50A023.jpeg

Just send me an address

(I still have the notebook too)

I don't exactly, but suspicion that it would be too high is why the smaller animals seem like a better option.

I think that was the one that got posted from Europe to Australia, the recipient was on vacation, it got returned to sender, sent back to Australia, and never heard from again? The theory was it fell off the plane somewhere over the Himalayas, though more likely it just got lost at some freight depot.

Props on the bravery for going to meet a bobcat. That sounds scarier than the bison I took Bumble to meet on the first go-round.
To clarify, I didn't actually intend to meet a bobcat. I intended to go to the observation platform overlooking the lake and take a picture there. That part of the sanctuary is where I used to do astronomy talks both for the public and for some friends. But when I got to the interpretive centre, there was a sign at the entry to the trail system notifying the public that a bobcat had been sighted and to be extremely cautious using the trails - absolutely do NOT approach it.

There's no bus service anywhere near the sanctuary, so going back at a later time would have been impossible - I'd already spent $$ getting there by taxi and I had to be really quick and get this done by closing time because there's no public phone there outside the interpretive centre.

Fortunately I made it out to the observation platform, got the photo (that nobody will ever see now), and made it home without seeing the bobcat.

To do this right we need a list of folks and cities so there is some order to the sequence. @schlaufuchs you should hold off a bit until we know wtf we are doing. If you just want to be rid of it, you can send it all to me.

Also done! I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area, so not exactly close to Seattle; there probably is someone close to send it to first.

I am a bit confused by the first post; is the Take 4 list the future itinerary, and is the old data from 2 (now 5) years ago where the current yeti has already traveled?

Valka, your bobcat story does some somewhat familiar from back in the day. I'm glad the bobcat was not sighted while you were there. I don't know how aggressive they tend to be, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way!

Last edited:
The notebook has:

Albuquerque
Calgary
Rhode Island -> Ft Myers Beach
NYC
Hartford
Charlottesville
Columbus
Sioux Falls
Santa Cruz (when I got it)

Might I suggest, such that the chain may break... You take scans/photos of each page. Don't post them here... Unless it gets lost?

Have each recipient keep a backup for if the worst happens?

Top Bottom