1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The great CFC chain letter: around the world in 80 days!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Aug 18, 2011.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Thank you all for signing up for this. I'm really excited to see this project finish, though I'm guessing it'll be a number of months. The order has been hammered out as follows:

26-9-2001 LucyDuke has created a map of the camera's travels which can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10916140&postcount=229

You are responsible for PMing the poster before you on this list with your name and address OR the address of a local post office which can hold the package for you, thus not requiring you to give out your actual address if you so choose. If you wish to use this option, you are responsible for contacting your country's postal service to get required information.

So for example, Warpus is responsible for PMing me his address, Valka is reposnible for PMing Warpus her address and so on. If a member fails to PM you, and doesn't respond to a request for their mailing information, skip to the next poster on the list.

As a reminder, we do have a patron willing to help out other users who find the next step in mailing to be more expensive than they'd anticipated. If you need assistance, contact me (Contre) via PM. Do try and use the cheapest method possible though. There's no need to ship expedited.

Included with the camera will be a small notebook to write notes about the picture you took and why you took it. It may also be used for just about anything else you'd like to write to others. If you so choose, you may also send a small trinket of where you're from to the next poster. This is entirely up to you. I think I shall send Warpus a twig.

I will update the thread as needed with more information as needed.

Spoiler original OP :
    AUSSIES / KIWIS NEEDED!

I want to take a virtual vacation. And I want to visit you all. My idea is to buy a disposable camera and mail it to another CFC member. That CFC member will take one picture and then forward the camera to the next CFC member. We chain it location to location, around the world, eventually back to me. I will then have the film developed and I will post the pictures everyone took on this thread.

If you want in, post! The only restrictions are do not take photos that cannot be posted to this site. Other than that, if you want to take a photo of your front door, a coffee shop, of your sofa... or you want to drive for a day and take a scenic photo, it's completely up to you.

A couple of disclaimers.

1: If your location isn't listed, you'll need to add it to your post. I want to try and keep each mailing step efficient, so we're not paying for postage from London, to Sidney, back to Lisbon.

2: You will need to provide your real name and address to another CFC user through PMs. If you're uncomfortable revealing yourself in such a manner, please do not join! If you're uncomfortable with a specific user knowing your IRL info, PM me and I will make sure they are not the link before you.

3: You are responsible for postage to the next CFC user. While I will try and keep each step as short as possible, some members will need to send the package across oceans. This will be more expensive. If you're willing to bear the additional postage to send the camera to another continent, please post as such!

I would really like to have enough members to use up an entire film roll (24 or 27 pictures).

People in:

Contre
    Truronian
    Zelig
    Madviking
    noncon
    IglooDude
    civ-addicted
    Boundless
    Kan' Sharuminar
    AL_DA_GREAT
    rugbyLEAGUEfan
    Volum
    Abaddon
    Traitorfish
    Cheetah
    Cutlass
    LucyDuke
    Valka D'Ur
    stuge
    EnglishCrusader
    warpus
    Syterion
    mangxema
    SiLL
    Whomp
    Masada
    tycoonist
    Alassius

28/37 slots filled!

2. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

This sounds very cool. Count me in.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm in from Calgary.

I'm fine with any link, but I'm uncomfortable with contre knowing my real name.

4. madviking

madviking north american scum

As long as it gets to me sometime between 20 August and 16 December (i.e. when I'm in college), I'm up for it.

5. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

In, degenerates/

6. Boundless

Boundless Deity

Definitely in, and lets say from my new location in York, UK!

7. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

This sounds fun.

NOT IN, but good luck;)

8. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Instead of a PBEM, it's a PBSM? Cool, I hope it doesn't go the way of most CFC Civ PBEMs, though. I'm up for it.

9. civ-addicted

civ-addicted King

Oooh, sounds fun. I'm in.

10. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I'm in.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Are you sure this is more than a plot to get me to actually use a camera and post a pic from outside my apartment? :eek:

12. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

I am in. However. Why not digital? 27 pics is not a lot.

13. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

What a cool idea. I'd love to join but I know myself well enough to recognize that I'd just sandbag the whole endeavour and probably lose the camera. ;) Looking forward to seeing the pictures, though!

14. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I may do digital since I can get a cheap one for about the same price. But I still want to limit it to only 20-30 people so the camera finishes the trip somewhat quickly. There is also the issue of charging it if it's not USB... we all have different plug standards.

15. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Sounds great . I'm in . But I will be overseas all of September till mid October . Please let me know if I can still join.

16. Catharsis

Catharsis catch u on the flip scythe

This is such a good idea. :thumbsup:

I can't participate because of lack of knowledge about my location over the next few months, but I wish you good luck and am making a subscription post.

17. Volum

Volum The Zapper

I guess i could give this a go.

Lillehammer, Norway.

18. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I would, but my mom is a little bit paranoid and overprotective and without having any knowledge of the context of this situation would definitely be pissed :lol:

I'll pass for now.

19. Boundless

Boundless Deity

Abaddon is in too, from East Yorkshire!

20. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

If anybody is remotely interested in a picture of Dundee, then I could contribute.