1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Chieftain

Directly from the Youtube video:

"Canada is built for a strong culture victory and it can make a good run at a diplomatic one as well".

My comparison to Russia is fair. Russia receives faith bonuses from tundra at a much earlier stage in the game. The value over time is exponentially better than ice rink culture bonus which will be later. To make ice rinks good you need a lot of end game civics which do not out weight the Lavra value over time.

Another point. Canada basically gets +1 food from tundra and Russia gets +1 faith/production. I know what yield I would take.

I am really disappointed with how they designed Canada.

2. Kataklysm

Kataklysm Chieftain

I was expecting something like this for my home Civ! Really happy to finally see it in the game. Although it was somehow predictable, I am a bit underwhelmed about the tundra farming thing. I mean - have they only checked where tundra really begins, for a start? Clever the farmer who will get nice juicy corn or potatoes at this latitude (the ground is permafrosted). Almost nobody lives up there. But I get the idea, Canada had to had a tundra starting bias.

https://www.kidzone.ws/habitats/arctic-tundra.htm

As for the hockey rink and mounties, well... it was either that, or sugar shacks, or coureur des bois fur traders.

I'd like to add also that as one of the most contemporary leaders and civs in the game, it's easy to say that Canada's abilities are cliché and predictacle. I'd be curious to talk to a roman, or ancient greek, or ancien egyptian or sumerian dude and hear what he'd say about how 'cliché' his civ is reprensented in the game. Come on.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

It is--in the form of field hockey. Canada invented ice hockey.

Guandao likes this.
  4. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

Have to say I'm not very excited by this civ
    - Ice Hockey rink: like the golf course, I think this breaks immersion. Grand historical strategy games should not include Ice Hockey and Golf, at least that's my opinion. The pure game mechanics of the Ice Hockey Rink is ok I guess, or even quite interesting, so nothing against the mechanics.
    - No surprise wars. I just think it's weird that this ability affect basic choices of other civs (the choice to declare war). If there was a mechanics already in place that limits your possibility to declare wars (as I believe there was in Civ1, you could not declare war as democracy, huh?) I would find it more reasonable. I would almost find it better if the ability was that every war against Canada was considered a surprise war.
    - Mountie - To my knowledge not a military unit. Having an army of mounties invading a neighbour just feels weird.

I do like the abilities for Canada to make more out of Tundra tiles, though.

Let's see how Ed Beech defends Canada in the next live stream :)

Guandao, j51 and Zaarin like this.
  5. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Considering that nothing about th Sumerian civilization in game is derived from anything to do with Sumer, they'd be pretty baffled; Sumeria is 100% based on The Epic of Gilgamesh, a Babylonian epic poem (with Sumerian roots but thoroughly nativized).

6. King William I

King William I Chieftain

Huh, I always thought I've hockey came first

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yes, you don't want the curds to completely melt. They need to preserve their squeakiness.;)

8. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

But this comment alone shows how you are not making a fair comparison.

It's not +1 food. It's an improvement on a tile that would be relatively unappealing (no features tundra), with yields that scale, and one that produces housing.

And Russia is all about quick expansion out of tundra with a focus on early-game religion and culture, while Canada is about a quick expansion into tundra with a focus on diplomacy and late-game tourism.

You can't just make blanket statements. They favor different gameplay paradigms.

Leathaface and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Eh. Previous games had Coffee House and Shopping Mall. Aztec has ball court, which nobody has blinked an eye about.

I have to say that while I'm not in love with the overall package of traits, I think people are using a different set of standards against Canada specifically here.

King Rad, DefiantMars and CivLuvah like this.
  10. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Agree about Russia. I'm thinking about size 14 is the typical lower limit for tundra cities, assuming no coast, and that isn't bad. Good production. And a true all-tundra city is fairly rare. Usually you will have access to non-tundra terrain.

I like Canada, but Russia does everything better. By the time parks come around, you are swimming in faith.

11. Stryfe2000Turbo

Stryfe2000Turbo Chieftain

As a Canadian who started the day being told the lump taken out of my cat is cancer, seeing this is the only thing that's made me smile so far today.

12. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

You have my best wishes! :)

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, CivLuvah and 4 others like this.
  13. King William I

King William I Chieftain

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Russia's problem in the tundra is that the bonuses are great, if they can feed people. Especially for the AI - most of the time I barely see Russian cities get past size 4 or so because they simply can't get the food necessary to grow.

With tundra farms, they're really weak early. I mean, pre-feudalism, there's no point to even placing one, since at best the yields only get to what a regular grass tile does. But later in the game, once you start making those triangles and diamonds, they become usable tiles.

I do wish they had a slight extra bonus to tundra as a civ, because the biggest flaw will be a lack of production. And without any real boost to gold either, that doesn't help. Like, even if they just gave an extra minor boost to some districts for adjacent tundra as part of the ability, something to get me a few extra production or gold, rather than just cheap purchasing of tiles (although that may be an underrated ability, if you can purchase all the tundra tiles and let your culture grow to the non-tundra ones).

15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

I thought that's Puerto Rico.

Kimiimaro, King Rad and Guandao like this.
  16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

For what?

17. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Chieftain

Why would you waste a builder charge on a tundra tile when you can improve a grassland/plains tile which is way better? Building on tundra is still bad even with the farm that Canada gets. At least Russia can use that faith much earlier in the game and indirectly grow/expand because of it.

18. Hawke9

Hawke9 Chieftain

Has anyone noticed the firaxis icon in the hockey rinks yet?

kryat likes this.
  19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Maybe it'll be Sid Meier defending Canada's inclusion instead? :p

20. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Canada looks interesting if not super strong. Faith-free national parks is really good, ice rink is good, farms on tundra is interesting but not super strong, no surprise wars is interesting but a mixed bag. I hope they showcase the diplomacy victory and world congress soon. I'd have to see that before I know how good diplomacy points are. As for the complaints about stereotypes, boiling each civ down to a handful of traits is basically the definition of a stereotype. Plus this is a game first and foremost with a historical theme. Something that readily identifies the civ even if it is cliché seems appropriate.

I assume this means the Toronto city state is gone and Toronto is now a Canadian city. Do we know yet what the replacement city state is?