Nosey moves back for defence and the settler heads N

IBT Zzzz

T2 2900BC
Nosy fortifies on the mount
Sneaky keeps busting
found Hooka Huacan (rather than Teotihuacan) start Jag

IBT worker finishes mine (start road)

T3 2850BC
sneaky keeps busting fog and sees a large expanse of marsh.
AzAz is coming along well

IBT An American scout comes into view.

T4 2800BC
Send nosey (now full health) to a hill next to the barb.
New Jag moves to HooHu
Sneaky keeps busting fog
Abe is up Alph, Mason and BW
Rome will give us BW for CB and 45g (of 132)
I want to take it as it is just a matter of time before he gets CB from someone else. We are obviously backward and probably won't get a better offer. I'm not too confident about this deal though. If there is another civ near Caesar, CB isn't a high priority for them either so there might be a chance for more productive trading down the road.

IBT The Mayans are spotted heading towards Rome.

T5 2750BC
Nosey kills a barb and becomes elite:D
Maya is up Mas and Alph. I suppose I'll take the Rome deal now.
Get BW for 43g and CB
Move sneaky and find that Rome is lagging with 1 city.

IBT Zzzz

T6 2710BC
Move Sneaky into the mash to past through it.
Nosey stays put and the other Jag moves in position to attack another barb next turn.
The worker finished his road and moves back across the river to start a road to hook up HooHu, but then realize that was the wrong move.:mad:

IBT Unfortunately, the barb attacks the eJag on the hill and dies.
AzAz builds another Jag>rax (in 4)

T7 2670BC
realize I can partially salvage the worker by mining the BG West.
new Jag moves towards HooHu
Nosey stays put to heal.
Sneaky moves to a mount for vision and the other jag moves towards Rome looking for the barb camp

IBT Zzzz

T8 2630BC
fog busting. I'll start heading them back to consolidate next turn

IBT Zzzz

T9 2590BC
Start consolidating our 3 jags in the desert
Sneaky keeps busting fog. It's an interesting land mass.

IBT HooHu builds a Jag>settler (15)

T10 2550BC
Jags move to consolidate on a hill S of Rome

We have 4 rJags and 1 eJag. We have some good land to use and It would be nice to get some settlers out but it will take some time.
Everyone we know is up Masonry and Alphabet on us

Spoiler :

Attachments

• CBob02_BC_2550_phaedo.sav
    53.3 KB · Views: 134
Roster:

CommandoBob
Phaedo - just played
CivActuary - UP!
TimBentley - on deck
Norton II - warming up
Lboogie13

Game Situation

We have two cities and 5 Jags. We are building a barracks and a settler. Both our cities are at size 2 and will not grow for 5 (AzAz) and 6 turns (Hooka/HH/HoHu).

I'm not sure that 5 Jags is enough to take out Rome, which has only one city. I do think 5 Jags are enough to track a Roman settler pair and attack that city once it is built, since it will defended by either a spear or a warrior. Or attack before it is built, if we think we need slaves more than a distant city. Sadly, our Elite Jag may promote, but we will need 4 cities to support an Army :( .

Well, that's an idea anyway; not sure if it is a good one or not.

We have uncovered most of the land in our area. Before we get too far down the road, let's plan on where to put our next few cities. We have an interesting territory to settle, with a desert in the middle of it.

Wow I haven't checked in for a few days and missed a lot. Great job on the first two turnsets guys. I agree the sooner we can take Rome the better. Maybe we declare early and pick off their attackers to distract them from a second city/expansion. I don't know just a thought.

I am the "new" guy around here, so don't be too harsh on me! I am in it to learn.

Maybe we should let the capital grow a bit before attacking the Romans. It'd be nice if we could time our GA to get us 1-turn jags, but if that's too far down the road, let's just wait until we have a stack of 10 ready to hit Rome. Also, now that we have enough jags around to deal with the barbs, we definitely need to scout some more. The sooner we know where everyone is, the better.

We have that one guy up North scouting. I didn't see the barb hut at all. Personally, I'd like to get some more cities down.

Got it, will play tonight after any discussion.

I agree with taking out Rome asap, but let's get at least one more city so our GA is a tad more effective.

Phaedo, you mentioned it, but did you start research on IW? If not I would like to start it. Also, does Rome have IW yet?

For my set it looks like I will pretty much concentrate on jag building.

I didn't start it. We are still at 0% research. I'm still waffling over the decision:blush:

IMO it would be extremely helpful to know where iron is to deny it to the AI. I will start research, but maybe not at 100%.

If we are going at Rome, we don't have to worry about depriving them of iron as we might as well just go for the city. We would have to declare war to deprive them of it anyway. In all reality, I think we can trade for iron. It would be nice to have it for future reference, but I don't think we need to know where it is for Rome. We just have to do away with Rome and our decisions won't change much if we find out their iron is on the mountain rather than the hill. We'll know if they have it when we see legionnaires. What else do we need to know? There is a good chance they could have it with all those hills and that mountain but what does that change really? Taking them out sooner than later is still preferable. Let's assume they have iron. They could maybe build 1 in your turnset CivA. We can afford some gold towards research as long as we keep pumping out Jags and work on getting the cap up to fast production in the Cap (I have come around to Norton's way of thinking). We don't have another use for the cash ATM and we should have another settler built (even if we go for a worker first) before we reach our unit limit so go crazy;) (it'll make it cheaper). The sooner we take Rome, the better IMO though. For the slaves if nothing else.

I keep forgetting that we'll have a really early Golden Age with the Jags. :sad:

With that in mind, do we want that GA with only three cities? I cring at that thought but realize it might be necessary. I would like to have five cities, if possible, before we trigger the GA taking out Rome. But not at the expense of letting Rome grow too strong.

With the GA we might face an issue in making settlers. Our production may outstrip our growth. That is, we may have a size 2 city ready to make a settler but unable to do so because the city is only at size 2 and not 3. So I would rather have our city making done (or at least halted) before the GA begins.

OK, I'll be good. No wars ;)

From the looks of things, I might not be able to get another settler out during the set - the one building in Hooka won't be done for a while, and AzAz I think we want to start producing vJags in, right?

From the looks of things, I might not be able to get another settler out during the set - the one building in Hooka won't be done for a while, and AzAz I think we want to start producing vJags in, right?
Yeah, (and this could be boring :sleep: ), for a while all we need settlers and vJags.

Pre-Turn Strategy:
Build Jags
Build Settler
Explore a little.
Work terrain.

OOB:
1 Worker
5 Jags (4r/1e)

State of the Empire:
Aztec Azeleas (2) grows in 5, Rax in 1
Hooka Huacan (2) grows in 6, Settler in 15

Americans, Romans, and Mayans are all up Masonry and Alphabet on us.

We are making 8gpt.

PreFlight:
At 100%, IW will take 20 turns to research and we will break even. I'm going to go at that for now. We've got 134 gold and can't use a cent of it right now, I hate just leaving it. I'm sure in a couple turns when Hooka grows I'll play with the lux slider more.

IBT
American scout moves back N
AzAz: Rax --> vJag (due in 3)

2510 BC Turn 31 (1)
Sneaky explores N, NE to another hill and finds a Mongol scout. Mongols are up Masonry only and have 2 cities somewhere.
Also see faint light blue borders W of sneaks, will head over and check it out.
Consolidating other Jags.

IBT
zzz

2470 BC Turn 32 (2)
Sneaky heads over toward borders but no city. Going to have to work around the lake/coast.

IBT
some scouts move, Roman worker finishes his mine and moves.

2430 BC Turn 33 (3)
The Celts show up on the Diplomacy screen, so that border is theirs. Celts are even in tech and have 2 cities.

IBT
zzz
AzAz: vJag --> vJag (due in 3)

2390 BC Turn 34 (4)
Americans have learned the Wheel.
Going to send that newest Jag over to Hooka, otherwise it will riot once it grows in 2.
Worker begins road.
Sneaky heading N, thinks he sees Mongol borders.

IBT
zzz

2350 BC Turn 35 (5)
CAII says new tech to buy - Iron Working - Maya, Mongols, Rome. Great.
AzAz grew, will work the FP since 7 shields are no better than 5 when it come to 3 turn jags.
Shifting Hooka citizens gives the settler in 7 now not 10.

IBT

2310 BC Turn 36 (6)
Hooka grows, works the BG, settler now in 4.

IBT
zzz

2270 BC Turn 37 (7)
New Jag sets off to join stack S of Rome.

IBT
zzz

2230 BC Turn 38 (8)
Worker begins mine.

IBT
Maya decide to start work on some vaguely pyramid-like structure.

2190 BC Turn 39 (9)
Sneaky finds the coast.

IBT
zzz
Hooka: Settler --> rJag (due in 8)

2150 BC Turn 40 (10)
Sneaky moves up the coast.
Where should the next city go? I'll stop here without moving the settler so we can discuss and the next player can move him on his way.

Ending Order of Battle:
1 Settler
1 Worker
8 Jags (4r/3v/1e)

State of the Empire:
Aztec Azeleas (3) grows in 2, vJag in 3
Hooka Huacan (1) grows in 4, rJag in 8

End Notes:
- We have 134 gold in the bank still. We can get IW in 6 turns at +1gpt, 5 turns at -1gpt, and 4 turns at -2gpt. I would recommend we get it ASAP to know where the iron is.

- We have a stack of 5 Jags on a hill S of Rome, with 1 more on the way. I think we would need a couple more to ensure the destruction of Rome - which still only has 1 city but looks like it was reduced to size 1, so I think they built a settler.

- Our settler has not moved. I figured we needed discussion on where the next city goes.

And the file
>>FILE<<.

I'm not sure where to put the settler.

My vote is to attack Rome asap. My worry is that we are boxed in down in the South and I don't want Rome confining us to our little corner. Not only that but I don't fancy fending off hordes of legionaires heading south a little later in the game.

Got it. I should play tomorrow.
I don't know how well defended cities are on monarch at this stage, but 6 vet jags would defeat 2 reg spears about 59&#37; of the time according to Offa's simulator. We should keep their pop rushing in mind. Hopefully their warriors will go out to attack us. It might be nice to get a couple of slaves (I'm not optimistic about capturing their second city rather than razing it). Plenty of roads will be needed.
A city by the sugar or fur might be good, although getting water to the plains might be annoying.
I'm not a fan of regular units; I don't know if a chop for a barracks would be good. Edit: Blue dot looks good.
So far there's 11 cities for the 6 known civs, so barbs will pop up soon (it's once there's 2 cities per player).
Looks like a 3fer or something like that might be available. Maybe writing would be useful next so eventually we could convince the AIs to send their units against each other.

Dot Map 2150 BC

This is just a quick dot map aimed at moving closer to Rome. Blue Dot would be the next city; it snags two sugars for fast growth and rather quickly be making 3 turn Jags. Pink Dot might borrow one or both the sugars from Blue Dot, once Blue Dot gets to size 6. Pink Dot also gets the oasis. Light Blue Dot puts us next to Rome. The yellow-orange lines are roads.

Blue and Pink are also on the coast for extra commerce. Pink and Light Blue are on hills for defense.

From AzAz to Light Blue Dot is 12 tiles, all to be roaded, so a new Jag in AzAz is two turns away from the front line city.

Other Stuff
Good job exploring, CA. Next time your turns will be a bit more exciting, I'm sure. :D

AzAz is netting 5 shields per turn and will grow to 4 in two turns. Let's build a worker next; it will take two turns and complete just as AzAz grows to 4. And then go back to making vJags. We need another worker to help improve around AzAz (the BG for sure needs to be mined and roaded) and to mine the cow near Hooku while Worker01 builds roads northwards.

Good job exploring, CA. Next time your turns will be a bit more exciting, I'm sure. :D
:) Actually, after all those exciting turns in CBob01 it was nice to have some peace for 10 turns!

Blue dot looks good for production and the next city. By the time we get to light blue dot though, we could be reconsidering as I think Rome should be attacked before then.

Blue dot looks good to me, too, but we might need one more tile worked for 3-turn jags depending on whether we lose the 5th shield to waste. Another thing to keep in mind is that since we're agri, we can actually make those desert tiles useful by irrigating them (as good as irrigated plains). Speaking of which, maybe we ought to irrigate to the cow rather than mining it.

I agree with CBob that we need another worker--in fact, I think we need two so we can maximize the capital's shield output as quickly as possible. Let's build them in HH since we don't have a barracks there. I'm not sure whether they should come before or after a third city, though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since we're agri, we can actually make those desert tiles useful by irrigating them (as good as irrigated plains).
Robin Williams (paraphrased) said:
Agriculture, what a concept.
First time with an AGI civ, I've got to keep that food bonus in mind. :D
I agree with CBob that we need another worker--in fact, I think we need two so we can maximize the capital's shield output as quickly as possible. Let's build them in HH since we don't have a barracks there. I'm not sure whether they should come before or after a third city, though.
Well, we can sneak one out of AzAz pretty easily and still be able to crank out 3 turn vJags beginning in two turns, so lets get that one now and a third from HH after it finishes the current build.

Top Bottom