1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CCM2 Epic Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Civinator, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Civinator... Yes indeed, Wotan49 has made an Outstanding number of Great Units. Great Ships form Delta_Strife and Work from others like Takeo have all Seriously helped keep Civ III Top of the Class.
    CCM2 certainly reflects your excellent work and dedication to make such a Meritorious Game along with the Superior Art work and Help from the Very Talented Members.
    Very Happy to see the wonderful works from You and the Members here and hope you all will remain for years to come.

2. Izengrimm

Izengrimm Chieftain

hello! How can I unlock rules, set number of turns, etc like in RARR?? It's very uncomfortable without em

3. Vuldacon

Izengrimm... press F8 key in game then also the bottom left Arrow. If this is what you are talking about.

4. Izengrimm

Izengrimm Chieftain

No, I mean - how to set the rules at start?? In CivEditor only?

Буфер обмена01.png

Attached Files:

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Izengrimm, welcome in the CCM2 thread. :)

I think you are talking about the options, that can be set when starting a game. You can 'lock' or 'unlock' these options in the starting menue by settings in the scenario property registry of a mod or scenario. The 'unlocked' options (blue) can be deactivated (or reactivated) in the starting menue, while the 'locked' options (black) can not be activated in the starting menue of the mod/scenario and activating one of them needs a change in the settings of the editor.

These are the current settings in the editor for the CCM2 starting options:

These are the current settings in the editor for the RARR starting options:

You can see, RARR is using the default game victory options, while in CCM2 the game options diplomatic victory and cultural victory are 'locked'.

There is a good reason, why I locked those options for CCM2, especially the diplomatic victory. CCM has era-specific leaders, but C3C doesn´t offer the place to list all the different names in the game menues. That´s why I simply named all different leaders 'ruler' and changed all those settings in the texts inserting a special name of a leader with the entry 'ruler' (what was a lot of work). An UN-election between the leaders 'ruler' and 'ruler' without any further specification is not very satisfying, especially if you are one of those rulers to be elected and vote for the other ruler by inadvertently triggering the wrong of the two buttons with the listing 'Ruler'. An attempt to specify the names of the different rulers in the menue for the election by naming the leaders 'Ruler of Spain', 'Ruler of Britain' and so on leads to doubled listings in the normal diplomatic menue, as it seems, here the suffix 'of Spain', 'of Britain' and so on, is added hardcoded.
    Spoiler :

The culture victory in modding C3C (at least for me) is not completly understood in all its components. Per example in the next version of CCM2 I have added another GW working like a second Great Library. That wonder is set in the editor to give two points of culture to the city where it is produced. Astonishingly game tests show, that this wonder provides every city of the civ with two additional culture points each turn, even when the GW is obsolete.This GW doesn´t provide another building to every city of the civ, that adds additional culture. The original Great Library in that mod with the same settings doesn´t have that effect. I´m not aware of any function in the C3C editor, that allows to directly provide every city of a civ with additional culture. Of course its a big difference for calculating the limit of a cultural victory of a civ, if you have a building, that is providing every city of a civ with direct additional culture, or you have only the culture of single buildings that are located inside the city of a civ. Additionally I don´t find the cultural victory overwhelming interestingly.

Izengrimm, I think you have found this registry, as your posted screenshot shows, that you have done some changes to the CCM2 biq. I´m not aware of a methode to directly change the number of turns in the starting menue. In my eyes the changing of the number of turns always needs an action in the editor. If you are doing changes in the settings of CCM1, CCM 2 or RARR, please use the Firaxis editor 1.00 or the Quintillus editor, as with the Firaxis editor 1.03 you will loose the option of receiving scientific leaders (as it is shown in your screenshot).

I´m interested in your opinion (and of course in other opions, too) what of the current special features of CCM should be transferred to RARR. In my eyes especially the concept of 'Advanced Autoproduction', that I developed for Civ 3, should be an interesting candidate for such a transfer, allowing per example to have a small limited number of better units in addition to the units that the AI will normally produce (p.e. some Tiger tanks in addition to the normal Pz III tanks and the same for all other civs, too by using only one of the precious number of buildings) or some special invisible HN-units that are working great in a game in small numbers, but would be poison for a game if they could be produced normally (p.e. enslavers, holy men and lawyers).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

For an epic game, on the "Choose your Civ/Opponents" page, you click on the 'Game limits' button (below the Leaderhead, IIRC), to bring up that pop-up shown in @Izengrimm's screenshot. You can then simply click on the values that you want to change — similar to how (if you'd clicked the 'Custom name' button instead) you can change the name of your chosen Leader.

You can certainly increase the turns-in-game, and the game then uses the last provided 'years per turn' value for the additional turns as well (e.g. in an epic-game, say you'd entered '600' instead of the default 540 turns: the extra 60 turns would each also be 'worth' 1 year, so the game would finish in 2110 AD instead of 2050 AD). I've never tried, but I suspect that you would not be able to reduce the turns-in-game below what is stipulated in the .biq.

Not sure if the Game-Limits are possible to change when playing Mods as well — though if someone is using CCM as a full-replacement for Firaxis-Civ, they should be.

Oni Ryuu likes this.
  7. Civinator

tjs282, thank you very much for your hint. :) I had a look at another version of Civ 3 Complete (the later GoG version) and here are buttons in front of the single options, that can be used as you did describe it. As Izengrimm´s screenshot shows, in the CCM2 starting menue these buttons are missing. I will have a look about restoring them for CCM2, too (so I never needed them).

Attached Files:

8. Vuldacon

Yes, you can change the number of Game Turns and make Years days or hours, etc... in MODs.

9. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

I know you can do that in the .biq using the Editor, but that's not what I'm talking about. The question is whether the Game-limits can be adjusted prior to starting a new map, if using an already modded .biq ?

e.g. by launching a modded game via the 'Civ-Content' menu (like for playing RARR, LotM, EFZI2 or SW:TMA), or — more radically — by installing the mod-files within the mainfiles and renaming 'Insert_Mod_Name_Here.biq' as 'conquests.biq', so that launching Civ3 from the desktop immediately starts a modded-game (as Civinator recommends doing with CCM)?

It occurred to me later, that Game-limit alterations might be disabled on Mods (no matter how launched), by the same checksum-routine that determines whether or not final (epic-game) scores can be added to the player's personal (epic-game) Hall of Fame. Would be a pity if that's the case.

EDITED right after posting to remove inadvertent "Moderator-text" tags! Oops!!! :blush: Hope nobody saw that before I changed it... :shifty:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  10. Civinator

Izengrimm, now as I think we have understood, about what function you are talking (a function that I had never used in C3C), I have to say, you made a very interesting post in this thread, that could help to understand the mechanics behind C3C a little bit better. :clap:

I made a quick test of all C3C mods and scenarios that are on my pc and the astonishing fact is, that from the newer mods and scenarios (among them RARR, Worldwide, Giant Earth, EFZI Elite, TLC) only gwendoline´s MensWork has this function working on my pc. Older mods and scenarios like MEM and RAR have this function working, too. So for the readers of this thread, I try to explain the function with the mod MensWork:

When starting a mod or scenario and you click in the selecting-window of a civ on the field 'Game Limits', another window is popping up, showing you a lot of different settings for the game you want to start. This happens with all mods and scenarios. The 'special effect' in the mod 'MensWork' (and many older mods and scenarios) and the normal standard C3C game is, that the list of game settings here has a button in front of each option, that can be selected and allows the changing of the parameters of this setting.

Per example, if a player klicks on the option 'Turns' with the button in front of this option, another window is popping up where a player can change the setting of this option:

If the list has no buttons in front of these options, nothing can be changed here (only in the editor).

Now I made a change in the script file. The script file (in the texts folder) holds several functions of ending a normal game, a scenario game and a multiplayer game. The first settings for ending a normal game have a different structure than the other ending options.

I gave the CCM2 script file for the End_Game_Limits_Scenario the same settings as for the End Game Limits and now even when starting CCM2 as the Main Game, the pop-up-list shows the buttons in front of the options:

It seems the entry '#itemlist' in the script file is responsible for the appearing of the following entries as options connected with buttons. But my joy about that window only lasted for some seconds. When klicking on one of the options the complete window did close and no window to change the settings did pop up.

Also interesting in my eyes is the fact, that the script file seems to treat my CCM2 mainbiq as a scenario, as the changement in the End_Scenario settings influenced the first pop-up window of the new mainfile biq.

This is the stand of my current knowledge, unfortunately at present without a working solution. But I think these findings are interesting enough to post them here. It will be interesting to find, what most new mods and scenarios are missing, that older mods and scenarios and the new mod MensWork seem to have.

On the other side the current missing of that function (that always can be handled in the editor, too) has no known influence in the gameplay of CCM2 as the main biq and for all other mods and scenarios, that are missing that function, too. :)

Edit June 20,2019:

The problem is solved: In the Game Options of the Scenario Properties both Game Options must be set to Default. The changes in the script file are not necessairy. In CCM2 this will not happen as the Victory point scoring is needed for the supply shipments and at present, even now when I found an acceptable way to include the diplomatic victory to CCM 2, I think at present it is no good idea to give CCM2 the cultural victory option.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    tjs282 and Oni Ryuu like this.
  11. Civinator

I think I have found the simple solution to that mystery after having a quick look into the Man´s Work biq. :)

The option to change game conditions is activated, when in the Scenario Properties registry of the editor the Default Victory Conditions edited: and the Default Game Rules are both enabled (when the hook in these boxes is set).

After doing that procedure even the CCM2 mainbiq would be fully activated to use those options with the normal script text entries:

For activating the Default Victory Conditions the Diplomatic victory must be activated, too - and this doesn´t make much sense in CCM2 (as I described above). Therefore in CCM2 this option currently will not be available (at least until there was found a way to distinguish the different rulers in the UN election).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    tjs282 likes this.
  12. Civinator

Some civers play a CCM2 succession game, difficulty level Monarch with the special condition to declare always war (AW) to a civ they have contact to. In a succession game each player normally plays ten rounds and than gives the save file to the next player who plays the next ten rounds. You can find the succession game

LK160, CCM, AW, Turkey

here at CFC: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lk160-ccm-aw-turkey.640448/
    Spoiler :

Wolfshade likes this.
  13. Inoé

Inoé Chieftain

Hi everyone!
    I have two issues I would like to ask you about. The first one is I found an missing file error playing a game with Germany in CCM 4.5. I was surprised because I have been playing this game for a very long time and did not find any of these. This is the specific missing entry error that I am getting:

I hope it's fixable and I can continue playing the game :O

The second question I have is the following: I'm waging war against China in the Modern Era, with the Chinese being more technologically advanced. I recently conquered a small island near the Chinese mainland and reinforced a few units in one of the cities and quite a big fleet. To my surprise, the turn after that the fleet and the units were gone or badly damaged. China seems to be bombarding the city from very afar with a unit capable of both land and sea lethal bombardment. My question is, which specific unit is capable of this? I have been looking into the Modern Era tech tree and units and it still remains a mystery how I am being attacked... Is not a plane nor a sea unit because I am not seeing any attack animations, just the sound of bombing. Initially I thought it had to be an attack by carriers, but carriers do not have lethal land bombardment.

Any ideas about which unit this can be and how to defend myself against it?

Thank you!!

14. TheRenegade179

TheRenegade179 Chieftain

Is there no way to sign a Military Alliance against another AI player in CCM2? I'm aware that there's the Mutual Protection Pact Agreement you can set up with Ai's with the tech Nationalism, but I'm talking about the actual Military Alliance feature. I've set up embassies with so many Ai's and the option hasn't popped up at all in Diplomacy. Has it been removed?

15. Civinator

Inoé, that error in the PHL-03 INI file was reported some time ago in the nonpublic CCM2 forum and is fixed in the next version of CCM2. :) The INI file demands a fortify.flc and the unit folder contains that flc with the name fort. There are two easy ways to fix that error in your current game:

a) Unzip the PHL-03 INI file that is attached to this post and paste it over the old PHL-03 INI file inside the CCM2 art\units\PHL-03 folder or

b) Rename the entry inside the PHL-03 INI-file from FORTIFY=Fortify.flc to FORTIFY=Fort.flc. Here you have to remove the copy protection of that file, when you have installed it with such a protection.

With both ways you should be able to continue your current game.

This result can be achieved by a lot of CCM2 units in combination. One bombarding unit in CCM2 that has lethal land- and sea bombardment is the cruise missile. The best way to have a look what really happened here, is to open a save-file before that attack with the multiplayer tool that is attached to CCM2 and set China to be played by the human player. In that case you will see the units that are available to China before that attack. My guess is, that you will see a lot of cruise missiles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  16. Civinator

TheRenegade179, yes, this option is removed in CCM2. :yup:

The reason is, that in CCM2 there are much more civs than in standard Civ3 (31) and with the autoproduction of settlers there are mostly much more civs still alive when most of them have contact to the player. This means dozends and more annoying popup windows each turn in the later stages of the game that slow down the game, demanding alliances, announcing the end of alliances, advertising mostly not needed maps and so on. The benefits in disabling these options in CCM2 by speeding up the game in my eyes are much greater than in enabling them.

17. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

The restrictions set by the modder by unchecking the 'Default Victory Conditions' may be an attempt to add greater historical realism to the game by emulating the change of regimes in power. In this instance, the modder is promising to liberate the player from the oppressive system installed by Firaxis, but once he consolidates his modding power, he then supplants the original ruler and imposes his own iron will to deny the player freedom of action.

18. Vuldacon

The restrictions set by the modder by unchecking the 'Default Victory Conditions' may be an attempt to add greater historical realism to the game by emulating the change of regimes in power. In this instance, the modder is promising to liberate the player from the oppressive system installed by Firaxis, but once he consolidates his modding power, he then supplants the original ruler and imposes his own iron will to deny the player freedom of action.

Anthony Boscia... well said :)

19. TheRenegade179

TheRenegade179 Chieftain

I totally understand and agree with your reason of how greatly it benefits the game. 31 Civs in a game is a lot of random dudes asking for all sorts of Maps, Agreements, Etc. Honestly, I support your decision on the map trading because we all know from our years of playing the base game of how much value the AI holds these maps, even though they've barely scoured anymore than we have of the map. I was just a little disappointed because of the decision of removing the Military Alliance feature. Although there would be a lot of AI walking upon your doorstep asking if you'd like to declare on blah blah blah in this many turns, or right then and there, it would still be kinda worth it in my opinion because of the opportunity to have an ally assist in joint-war and conquest in the early game before you discover Nationalism. I love CCM2 and you have done an amazing job with this mod, and there's no other mod on the website who holds more value than this one. I enjoy playing this mod every single day and it is great, but I was just simply wondering if you wanted to, just for the early diplomacy players out here, if you could possibly re-introduce Military Alliances back into the mod.

Although, it may cause a bit of frustration with players who get constantly bombarded with request after request from AI's to start wars with other AI's, it would be worth it considering that the feature to have an ally from the very start of the game, joint-warring with you whenever you needed them against anyone that you needed eradicated off the face of the map. Because, if I can be totally honest, Diplomacy is sort of non-fulfilling in the early game until you can at least start warring together with the AI's against others. That's just my complete opinion of why it should be reintroduced. I truly hope you keep up the amazing work on this mod, Civinator! You've been doing so amazing so far, and I love playing it!

20. Civinator

TheRenegade179, thank you very much for your kind words about CCM2. :)

I think I understand your thoughts, but there is a big problem: When such a diplomatic feature like alliances is enabled, there is no proper way to disable them again. This means, all the annoying pop-up windows about alliances, slowing down the later game considerably, will appear in the game - and this is something I don´t can recommend to you. If you really want to have such a biq, I will do such a biq for you, as it is only one click in the editor.