1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CCM2 Epic Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Civinator, Dec 23, 2017.

1. jlvfr

jlvfr King

London, AD 1595: the only great building? Pyramids

Attached Files:

2. XTC

XTC Chieftain

It is definitely "A mod with a view!"

3. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Yeah! Download successful!:king:

Five attempts and the successful download took 9 hours and 30 minutes. :eek::rolleyes:

But the Installation in a fresh Civ3 folder will have to wait for the weekend.

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Kirejara, congratulations for the successful download, but 9 hours 30 minutes in Northern Germany are really shocking slow. My eight and nine minutes testdownloads were done in Southern Germany.

5. XTC

XTC Chieftain

Often when a tile has a railroad it has more `yield` than when it has only a road. But with the bonus resource berries both (road and railroad) gives the same yield. Why?

Attached Files:

6. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Rails boost only the food/shield outputs provided by any terrain-improvement (mine or irrigation) on a given tile. They do not boost the food/shields provided by the base-tile, or any bonus/strat/lux-resources, nor do they boost commerce.

e.g. in the epic-game (under a non-despotic gov), irrigation increases the food-output of any (irrigable) tile by +1 FPT; irrigation + rails increases food-output by +2 FPT (but does not affect the tile's shield-output).

This is hardcoded, so is how a mod will function as well.

7. XTC

XTC Chieftain

Thanks for your answer, tjs282

8. Hirmuolio

Hirmuolio Chieftain

Mod seems interesting.

I am not a big fan of the UI changes for the city info window. It really clashes with the style of the rest of the game.

The wonder build sound is bad. It is so loud.

Also could be archive be in 7z instead of zip? 7z with normal compression is 2.58 GB compared to 3.85 zip. This would help with download times on slower connections.

Edit: Also how is the invisibility supposed to work on enslaving units? Enslaver doesn't say it is invisible but seems to be. Sometimes I see them coming but sometimes they attack without me seeing them and I don't see them even after their attack.

Edit2: Crash on tobacco plantation build

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. Civinator

Hirmuolio, thank you very much for your input about CCM2. :)

Hirmuolio, in the civilopedia (and even in the slightly reworked civilopedia entry that will come with the first patch for CCM2) it is noted, that the enslaver unit
    is invisible for most units. Units that can detect the enslaver must have the 'detect invisible flag' or directly run into the enslaver.

The enslaver is one of the most discussed units in CCM - and one of the most interesting ones, as it adds tons of strategic thinking how to deal with that unit by using the advantages of the map surrounding the endangered cities. Here you can read a lot more about it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/page-10#post-15234702

:yup: Yes, this error was reported many posts above: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/page-21#post-15545464
    A fix for it (and some other reported small errors) is in the last update of the pediaicons file, that is posted here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/page-23#post-15550747

This is an interesting thought. :) When doing the upload of the big CCM2 main files, I had the opinion that it is the best, to use a zip-method, that has the biggest chance, to be used by every civer. I have the newest version of WinRAR and could zip the files in normal zip-format, WinRAR format or even the newest RAR4 format. My thoughts for using the standard zip-format were, that it is better, if nearly everbody can use the files by unzipping them, even if the download time of a RAR4 version may be some seconds shorter than the 8 and 9 minutes in my test-downloads. The post with that 'horror download time' by Kirejara came later.

I don´t have 7z and here starts the problem. If I do the next upload of the CCM2 mainfiles with RAR4, who will be able to unzip it? If I will change to 7z, who will unzip it, especially as I myself don´t have it yet (and don´t need it)? I think at present I will stay with the zip-format, especially as for civers with such slow internet connections, the download times still will stay horrible, even when using such a more advanced method of compressing.

De gustibus (non) est disputandum (about taste can not be argued). I like the files of the city info window and the wonder build sound - that´s why they are in the download.

I remember that there was another civer, who, also didn´t like the wonder sound file. If you rename in the C3C sounds folder the wav file wonder to wonder1 (or something like that) you should have again the wonder sound of Civ 3 Vanilla.

The same could be done with the files of the city screen folder. Important is, that these 3 files of the CCM2 download must stay in the C3C city screen folder:

The other files could be renamed the same way as I suggested it with the wonder sound file (so they can be reactivated if wanted by renaming them again) or deleted, so the original files of Civ 3 Vanilla would appear again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  10. Hirmuolio

Hirmuolio Chieftain

It would be better if minor fixes like the tobacco plantation would be linked on tha first post with the main download. They are hard to find on page X on a thread without even knowing if they exist.

7-zip is free, open source and all the nice things. So if you feel brave you could just tell people to install 7-zip to enjoy the mod. 7-zip can also open RAR archive including RAR5. (rar is "free with constant reminders that your free trial is over and you need to buy it").
    Or you could make self extracting archive and just tell people to put it in the right folder and doubleclick to extract. But downloading exes is a bit more suspicious than downloading archives.

11. Civinator

Yes, this will happen, when a patch for CCM2.50 is posted. Based on the error reports that arrived until now, this patch will have a new pediaIcons file, a new civilopedia file and a new biq (so the patch only has very small dimensions yet and the newest version of the linked pediaicons file will be a part of it). At present I´m still waiting if more error reports will arrive, so they can be included in such a patch.

As posted, that doesn´t solve the problem for civers with a very slow internet connection, for civers with a faster internet connection it is not necessairy, and therefore I´m feeling 'brave enough' not to do so. :D I will consider the use of 7z in future versions of the download (not in the next version), but this doesn´t have the highest priority for me. I don´t want to answer hundreds of times the same questions of civers, who don´t read a possible hint about 7z in the first page of this thread, about this software, where to get it and how to use it.

The download of the CCM2.50 mainfiles first was concepted and done as a self extracting archive, as this would be much easier for the installation of the mod, but after recognizing, that the Windows Defender is stopping such a download and suggesting that the download should not be continued for security reasons and you can only continue the download after pressing a button, that you do it on your own risk, the self extracting archive was changed to the current form of the download after a very short time.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. Hirmuolio

Hirmuolio Chieftain

Small bug: The luxury liner description says that it is only autobuild by the Blue Riband wonder. It can be built normally.

The movement bonus on horse artillery is maybe a bit too much. It makes it into a really strong fast attacker. The next unit on its "upgrade" path also lacks the bonus move making it worse than horse artillery.

The late industrial era/atomic era tech tree feels a bit incomplete. The techs are almost completely military unit techs.

13. lafao

lafao Chieftain

who can help me, i have this error: FILE NOT FOUND
    ART/UNITS/TEGETTHOFF CLASS WWII.INI

14. Kirejara

Kirejara King

open the conquest/text folder.
    Open pediaicon.txt.
    Search for "#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Tegetthoff Class WWII".
    Correct the line below that from "Tegetthoff Class WWII" to "Tegetthoff Class" (as their seems to be no model folder for a WWII variant).
    Save pediaicon.txt.

That should do the trick. ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Civinator likes this.
  15. Diviner

Diviner Prince

The download is worknig, but its unfortunately incredibly slow, it takes 2 days to download the mod which is not so ideal in a non-p2p scenario.

Has anyone have an explanation for this or an advice how to get it properly?

16. Civinator

lafao, it seems you are playing an older version of CCM2 (CCM2.4 or 2.45) as in CCM2.50 all these reported errors about some ships should be fixed edit: but unfortunately not this one.

For fixing this error in the old versions CCM2.4 and CCM2.45 edit: and 2.50 Kirejara posted how to fix it easily in the pediaicons file of your text folder. Kirejara, thank you very much for answering lafao´s question. :)

The changed entry in the pediaicons file in the CCM2 text folder now should look like this:

There exists a unit folder for the Tegetthoff Class when appearing in WWI. This ship has no anti-aircraft setting. The update for the WWII version adds a small anti-aircraft setting to that unit. With the changed entry in the pediaicons file, the game uses the existing graphics of the WWI Tegetthoff unit. This problem exists for some other WWII updates of dreadnought units in CCM2.4 and 2.45, too and can be solved in the same way.

Edited: The error is still in the CCM2.50 pediaicons file :wallbash: It will be fixed in the upcoming patch. Kirejaja, thank you very much for your hint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  17. Civinator

Hirmuolio, thank you very much for reporting this error :). I have noticed that error in my current CCM2.50 testgame, too - and the same problem is with the Tarawa Class in era 4.
    While reordering the entries for the resources to make them more stable against the phantom resources bug and to harmonize the resources of CCM and RARR to a common mainfile, the place of the strategic resource 'game mechanics' that no civ can have, was changed.

This is fixed now for both units in the biq of the upcomming patch.

Thank you very much for your input and I think you are right. :)

First one has to consider, that in CCM all kinds of artillery are always moving 'up a mountain', meaning even movement points of 2, allow this kind of units only to advance one tile (but give them a retreat option, when attacking infantry units, that only have 1 movement point - and therefore give them a similar option 'to soften up' enemy defenses as it was intended with the spoiled AI routine of Firaxis for land artillery).

So these kind of units only can become 'fast attackers', when moving on roads or having a movement bonus for certain kinds of terrain. This is the case for horse artillery when moving in a tile containing grasland, plains or floodplains.

The horse artillery additionally has some stealth attack settings.

The paks (anti-tank guns) as an upgrade of the horse artillery have an aditional defense point more ( 6D compared to the 5D of the horse artillery, but they have no more movement bonus (as in general they are more heavy) and I had not the time to add the stealth attack to all motorized units of their time to them, as in CCM2.50 with its more than 3.000 units this would mean more than 8 x 3,000 settings in the editor for the 8 pak units. Edit.: A closer look showed, that this stealth attack was added to those units, but only if two or more of those motorized units are in the stack.

I consider to upgrade the defense values of the pak units even more, but here I have to do comparisons to the values of other units of their time and the next upgrading units of the pak unit.

This said, I was never very happy with the setting of the pak units and here you hit the nail on the head.

In CCM I excluded the micromanagement, triggered by pollution, and replaced it with unhappiness. As CCM2 uses the available 256 building slots and in era 4 there are enough other buildings that provide happiness to compensate unhappiness, there was no more place for buildings and techs like recycling centers and mass transit (in CCM in era 3 there is a railyard). Edit. The last part of era 3 has its focus on WW II, so it is no wonder that the techs here deal mostly with military.

Another reflection about the setting of buildings in era 4 was, that most games in normal difficulty levels are ending before entering era 4 or short after entering era 4. So I prefered to use the precious 256 building slots in C3C for buildings in the first 3 eras of the game, as here they give more fun to the gameplay as in era 4, when they frequently will not been built, because the game has ended before they appear in the techtree.

Nevertheless I made a quick count about the non-military buildings (without parts of the space race) in standard C3C and in CCM2.50 and the astonishing result was, that standard C3C in era 4 has 8 civilian buildings, while CCM2.50 has 11. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  18. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Hi Civinator,

I just checked: I have the Version 2.5 of CCM2 and in my pediaicon.txt was the incorrect enty for the Tegetthoff without matching folder.

Did I miss something?

19. Civinator

:eek: You are right. This must be changed for the upcoming patch. I will control the other entries of the WWII dreadnoughts, too. Thank you very much for the report! :)

20. Civinator

Diviner, it seems you have a very slow internet connection, as my test downloads for CCM2.50 were 8 and 9 minutes. I can feel with you (and all others who suffer from such slow internet connections) as I never forget my own experiences with slow internet connections when I joined the SOE-team and tried to download SOE for days in 2004 (or 2005). This problem was touched by Hirmuolio some posts above, with the suggestion to use 7zip to make the download a little bit smaller, but I think this wouldn´t solve your problem considerably, if you now need only 47 hours instead of 48 hours and on the other side many people are asking in this thread, what is this for a software, where can I get it and how must I handle it.

21. XTC

XTC Chieftain