Chopsticks vs. Western Cutlery

Which choice is better?

• Total voters
Do you think that chopsticks would win against any single western-style utensil by itself? I do.
Again I point out that this question devolves to "do you think 2 > 1?"

It's long past time, by the way, that I confessed that I actually really do like dining with chopsticks--in environments where the food is prepared to be eaten that way. I'm only marginally adept at their use. But that the very cuisine is adapted to their use strikes me as marking high civilization (the way, for example, siestas do).

I will continue to insist that they represent two utensils, though, so that if you want a fair competition, you have to allow Westerners to propose some rival two from among their three. And I will continue to point out that a knife has been snuck in behind the scenes, and that use of a spoon is assumed for the brothy part of soups. It seems to me that both cuisines are using all three implements and it really boils down to chopsticks vs fork and knife-used-in-preparation vs knife-used-in-dining.

I actually really do like dining with chopsticks--in environments where the food is prepared to be eaten that way.
Yeah, as I mentioned, this is not much of a factor for skilled users.

It's still silly to eat a pancake with chopsticks. But I've watched it happen. It works. I mean, the dexterity requirement is higher, so clutzy people are going to come off poorly cultured.

Relatively speaking, it's also silly to eat noodles with fork and spoon unless the noodles have been prepared for that. But it happens a lot.

No disagree. But we're back to high culture and the food form meeting the utensils.

How do you eat pudding or ice cream with chopsticks? Dip one in and lick it off? It would take forever (and look ridiculous).

Yeah, as I mentioned, this is not much of a factor for skilled users.
And as I mentioned, I can't count myself a "skilled user."

I cannot remember the last time I ate mash with a fork, ever, and I've lived in the West all my life. I always see most mash dishes with gravy (which folks seem to use to cut the mash given with takeaways.....)

That's perfectly fine, as long as you acknowledge that you are in a tiny minority (in the west). I can't find any mashed potato eating habit surveys done that have been peer reviewed but I would put some money on that the vast majority of people here eat mashed potatoes with a fork.

I admit that there are probably some weird cults in Alabama or Utah that revolve around the idea of eating everything with a spoon or that forks are evil, etc. and admittedly they would have to be counted in the stats as well

And as I mentioned, I can't count myself a "skilled user."
I'm reading the discussion topic as about a general fact, not about personal preference.

I've taken it up in that spirit. Only belatedly did I indicate my personal experience.

My response was to your response to that.

chopstick supremacy.png

So there goes the 'eating with one hand' alleged benefit as he's gotta use another hand to hold the plate up near his face for the inevitable burger slipping out of the chopsticks event. Forks aren't used on burgers, and neither should chopsticks.

So there goes the 'eating with one hand' alleged benefit as he's gotta use another hand to hold the plate up near his face for the inevitable burger slipping out of the chopsticks event. Forks aren't used on burgers, and neither should chopsticks.
How to eat a burger with a knife and fork

Generalisations are dangerous. The reason given for eating a burger with a knife and fork is the same reason as aelf suggests for using chopsticks.

How to eat a burger with a knife and fork

Generalisations are dangerous. The reason given for eating a burger with a knife and fork is the same reason as aelf suggests for using chopsticks.
In most of the pubs round here they charge £12 - £14 for a burger, and try to justify it by putting so much stuff in that it would be impossible to eat it the traditional way, so you pretty much have to use a knife and fork.

OK OK I GIVE IN IM GONNA CHIME IN

i use either depending on mood/what's clean (i live alone, so i eat with whatever)

GOODBYE MIC DROP ANGST OUT

Top Bottom