City-state elimination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antananarivo (Cultural) - 17
Kabul (Militaristic) -12
Kumasi (Cultural) - 17
Stockholm (Scientific) - 21 Science CS, and culture boost too.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 15 Why is this even here?

Kabul (Militaristic) - 12
Kumasi (Cultural) - 17
Stockholm (Scientific) - 22 (21+1): Both Stockholm's type bonus and its suzerain bonus are universally useful in a way unparalleled by other city-states.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 12 (15-3): In my experience, there's plenty enough sources of amenities in most games to the point where a city-state's suzerain bonus is rather unnecessary for keeping up amenities.

Kabul (Militaristic) - 9 (12 - 3) I'm a fan of Kabul, but I've been able to play quite a few games where where I was able to completely avoid war (on Deity), so the other four are going to be more useful, more of the time.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 17
Stockholm (Scientific) - 22
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13 (12 + 1) I must be playing a different game than some of you...amenities most certainly do affect city growth and loyalty (loyalty only if you're waging war into neighboring territory, but still). The thing is, I find it best to sell as many of my own improved amenities as possible, so having Zanzibar provide two amenities that I can't sell helps me not have to think about my people's unhappiness as much. (No, we don't have cool stuff...but, but...but Zanzibar man!)

Last edited:
Kabul (Militaristic) – 9
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18 --- Whenever I see Kumasi, I know it’s going to be an easy, no stress game awash in culture and gold.
Stockholm (Scientific) - 19 --- I'm probably missing the ultra-efficiency/ultra-quick finish part of this CS, but since I don't play that way it just doesn't look all that appealing to me.

Zanzibar (Trade) - 13

Kabul (Militaristic) – 9-3=6 - Sadly, when I'm peaceful, it just isn't as good as the others for peaceful game. And it's militaristic CS, so it's basic benefits aren't useful to me.
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Stockholm (Scientific) - 19+1=20 - The most universal CS here. Helps in every victory, and it's also scientific.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 14 (17-3) Honestly it's so hard to vote against any of these. I guess least impactful in the early game?
Kabul (Militaristic) – 7 (6+1) I shall give Kabul one more downvote to survive, just as Kabul has given my troops more turns to survive. :smug:

Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Stockholm (Scientific) - 20
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 14
Kabul (Militaristic) – 4 (7-3) Compared to the others I don't care if it exists.
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Stockholm (Scientific) - 21 (20+1) I have benefited well and more often from this one than any other CS.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13

Kabul (Militaristic) – 4-1=1 A good city state, but not as good as the rest of these.
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Stockholm (Scientific) - 21+1=22 So many benefits towards gp
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13

Kabul (Militaristic) – 1 + 1 = 2 (I'll try to save it. This CS is top three IMO and military CS are quite good in the early game)
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13 - 3 = 10 (Not as good as the remaining - amenities are an average boost)

Kabul (Militaristic) – ELIMINATED = 2 - 3. Not very useful if you go peaceful.
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Zanzibar (Trade) - 11 = 10+ 1. A flat 12 amenities is a lot

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 11 (14 - 3) This stands out for its late game potential, but it also stands out for how little it does in the early game (and well into the mid game). In a game with as much snowballing as civ, that's not a good trade-off.
Kumasi (Cultural) – 18
Stockholm (Scientific) - 23 (22- 1) Well, I seem to have been making a mistake here. SInce the change to Stockholm in R&F was more subtle than the changes to Jerusalem and Preslav, I had overlooked it and been basing my arguments on the old bonus. Someone should have been correcting me sooner or more directly. I stand by my underlying point, though, even if the supporting details were overstated. Even with a tier 1 building required, this will mean 3 GPP instead of two for a large and important chunk of the game, and it doesn't take very many extra great people to start surpassing other CS' bonuses.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 11

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 11
Kumasi (Cultural) - 15 (18-3): I generally find it more advantageous to trade internally early on, and with allies towards the mid- and late-game. Obviously Kumasi skews the equation, but the point is that you're losing out on otherwise stronger sources of trade by taking advantage of Kumasi's suzerain bonus.
Stockholm (Scientific) - 24 (23+1): As a less-than-efficient player, Stockholm is the best of these city-states to me because its bonuses are the most broadly applicable, even if it's weaker than Antananarivo for a Culture victory or Geneva for a Science victory, for example.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 11

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 11
Kumasi (Cultural) - 15-3= 12 Would be better if could use any trade route.
Stockholm (Scientific) 24+1= 25 All those GP points.
Zanzibar - 11

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 8 --- As much as I like this CS on paper, it's the least appealing to me at present relative to the early/mid game (which is where the game is decided).
Kumasi (Cultural) - 13 --- Without Kumasi bumping my base CPT by 50% I would be on a cultural parity with the next highest civ, with Kumasi it's game over. This happens essentially in any game I suz Kumasi early: +50% culture! *Deity level, Epic speed
Spoiler :
Kumasi.jpg

Stockholm (Scientific) 25
Zanzibar - 11

EDITED: Kumasi rationale added per request by God of Kings.

Last edited:
Antananarivo (Cultural) - 8
Kumasi (Cultural) - 10 (13 - 3) Obviously not a bad CS, but tend to use my early trade routes, Kumasi nearby or not, to feed into my own cities. I value the food and production more.
Stockholm (Scientific) 25
Zanzibar - 12 (11 + 1) I'm not changing my reasons here. There are no downsides to Zanzibar, no sacrifices that need to be made to reap the benefits, which are substantial.

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 8
Kumasi (Cultural) - 10-3=7 - I prefer to send trade routes to capital/biggest city of other empires or to my own cities.
Stockholm (Scientific) 25+1=26 - Play your game as you normally would and enjoy great bonus.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 12

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 5 (8 - 3) Powerful, but mostly late game, whereas the other three are great right from the get go.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 8 (7 + 1) Even if you prefer to send your trade routes somewhere else normally, this City State makes it worthwhile to shake things up. And sure, that's an opportunity cost, but holy smokes - have you looked at the yields from trade routes with this City State as your tributary? Nothing else in the game tips victory in your favour as much as becoming Suzerain of this City State.
Stockholm (Scientific) 26
Zanzibar (Trade) - 12

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 6 = 5 + 1. I tend to focus on great people more than trade routes so I favor Antananarivo over Kumasi.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 5 = 8 - 3. See above.
Zanzibar (Trade) - 12

Antananarivo (Cultural) - 3 (6-3) Is good, but not as good.
Kumasi (Cultural) - 5 .
Zanzibar (Trade) - 13 (12+1) Is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom