Civ4 BTS v3.19 Patch

The mods with big teams will probably have updates within a week, but some of us who were individual modders are going to struggle a little more to get stuff ready to go again. It's just that we are going to have to spend a lot of time upgrading the small mods to 3.19. But, people seem to think this is the end of patching...so we'll see.

I know we are all going to love it when we've invested the time for to rebuild the mods. :)

I'm liking the no-DRM fix...my BtS CD hasn't left my top drive. For about 6 months... last time I moved it, I think it was when I put it back in after taking it on a plane over the holiday break. :)

Moderator Action: Snipped discussion of piracy --NZ

Yeah - I now have 2 'prog file' civ4 directories - 1 is 3.17 and the other is 3.19. I checked another PBEM game and it loaded with no problem. Flipping back to the main menu and checking the version showed that it was 3.19. Every other patch has been a major head ache for PBEM players as it always checked the assets and complained if they were changed.

I wonder if that was part of DRM. Does this mean I can mod my game and give myself 2 hammer tanks from Turn 1 while you are building warriors. Does someone want to play a small PBEM game under 3.19 so that we can check that?
I'll be happy to. Send me a PM and I'll give you my email.

I'm liking the no-DRM fix...my BtS CD hasn't left my top drive. For about 6 months... last time I moved it, I think it was when I put it back in after taking it on a plane over the holiday break. :)

At least it hasn't been gathering dust! :lol:

So WinMerge doesn't seem to want to create a unified patch of the two SDK folders. It will happily show me the differences side-by-side, but I need to now apply those diffs to BULL's files. Am I missing something? I also see it has no way to apply a patch, so I suppose I'll have to nab Cygwin or something.

The other option I can think of is to commit 3.17 to a new SVN somewhere, commit 3.19 over it, and apply the difference using SVN Merge to the BULL folder. What are you other modders doing to update your DLLs? If you're doing it file-by-file, stop now. That's madness! The SVN route is a hack but I'm pretty sure it will work.

I wonder if that was part of DRM. Does this mean I can mod my game and give myself 2 hammer tanks from Turn 1 while you are building warriors. Does someone want to play a small PBEM game under 3.19 so that we can check that?
I just started a quick PBEM game with myself. Duel map, both teams playing as Catherine. The game was created with an edited unit.xml file that gave access to tanks with hunting and not other tech requirement, no oil requirement either. I got a tank instead of a scout and I could build tanks from day 1.

I finished my turn, replaced the edited unit.xml file with the original and loaded up the turn for the second player. It failed to load with an assets warning - yay! I feel a little better now.

ruff, does it detect a modified DLL?

By the way, I'm still a bit disappointed to see that the No Espionage game option still converts espionage points into culture. As far as I'm concerned that game mode is still broken.

I take back what I said about the saved game format:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CIV4_VERSION</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>[B]317[/B]</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>SAVE_VERSION</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>[B]301[/B]</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

versus

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CIV4_VERSION</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>[B]319[/B]</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>SAVE_VERSION</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>[B]302[/B]</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

Yet, Ruff, you were about to open old saves using 3.19, right? What about non-PBEM games?

Nothing better than a patch that must be installed for multi player online, oh yeah btw it kills all cool mods.

Hmmm, there are only two fixes out of the entire list that are MP specific...the rest are all SP/AI fixes/changes. So take a stress tab, the mod authors will update thier mods and all will be well. The changes in this patch are the most significant of any patch since the first one after 0 day, and it is well worth the inconvience.

CS

Very nice! Any chance of making this patch available here with the other patches?

Civilization Fanatics' Forums -> Downloads -> Civilization IV Downloads -> Civ4 - Patches & Updates
It's added to the database. :)

Build-specific production modifiers are no longer counted for overflow gold calculations
OT4E from civfanatics.ru has tested the patch and found ZERO gold overflow (pop-rushed and 10-forest chopped a theatre with Creative leader).
Erm... Has anyone else experienced problems with gold overflow?

I wonder if global warming is toned down. It was absurdly high in 3.17 with dozens of squares turning to desert if you played for time victory on a standard map.

That's rather concerning. I'm in two PBEM games at the moment and I'm about to patch to 3.19. I've backed up the entire game folder in case I need to revert, or to load 3.17 games. I just hope the patched doesn't somehow mess with the backup.
It should be fine, as long as the backup folder wasn't inside Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV. I've done a lot of dual-installs before, and it never seems to cause a problem as long as you store the backup away from the original. :)

Well, I'm just as (positively) surprised as anyone else here that the game is still supported. Not looking forward to updating my mod, though... I also am not sure there's any true bug-fixes in this, that isn't already fixed by UP/BBAI? So what "new" features do we actually get from patching? And the no-CD doesn't count, anyone who can access Google should have put their CD's back into their cases by now...

What are you other modders doing to update your DLLs? If you're doing it file-by-file, stop now. That's madness!

This I also want to know. For 3.17 I did it file by file, but if 99% of the code has been reformatted, then forget it... :gripe:

I'm just happy they removed the drm. That's the kind of company that instills loyalty. :)

sorry guys, what is DRM? Is that about having to always have the CD in to play? That has always bothered me because I couldn't make a copy of my CD (I'm really not into copying stuff), and I was worried about breaking the original or damaging it without havinf a backup!!!!

I want to squash the rumor that they reformatted the code in any way. They did not. All of the changes are normal code changes you've seen in the other patches.

I have completed patching BULL, and it was relatively painless. Yes, most of the changes are in the UP and BetterAI, and that's where the conflicts arose. I ended up using the Subversion trick I mentioned above:

1. Commit 3.17 files to a new SVN repo
  2. Commit the 3.19 files over them
  3. Apply the diffs using SVN Merge to a local copy of BULL.
  4. Use an editor with "find in files" to search for <<<<<<, the conflict markers from SVN
Since there are new cpp files, you also need to update your makefile. I wrote a Python script that builds the list of obj/cpp target lines for BULL which I will attempt to clean up and post tomorrow. There aren't that many new files, so it shouldn't be that tough.

BTW, I noticed that there's a cpp file not included in the DLL--CvTextScreens.cpp. It doesn't compile because the header is missing. That tripped me up a bit as my script looks for all cpp files. I wonder how this file slipped through. It was in 3.17 as well, so it's nothing new.

So what I am wondering about is this: Does BUG 3.6 still work with 3.19 or do we need to uninstall BUG for this patch in order to play?

Top Bottom