CivCon 09

Sorry you won't be able to join us, Draknith, but one certainly physically can't be in two places at once.

Excellent idea though,
:king:

it's surprising that this hasn't been done yet with the popularity of the series.
The first such event was in '06, called "ApolyCon", which included myself and Ken "Zopperoni" Lim as Committee members then as well. For a listing of archived media from it, follow this link. We're hoping that this second such get-together will lead to more CivCons in the future.

If anyone has any questions about what they see, or don't see, on the registration page, please ask here in follow-up -- I or one of my fellow Committee members will work to respond shortly thereafter. We want this to be a success, and participation numbers are key to that.

Just learned about this from Soren Johnson's Twitter. Sounds like fun, but Maryland? ehh
It's in Maryland -- Hunt Valley, specifically -- as that is where Firaxis' headquarters are located. Hope you'll be able to join in despite the travel required nevertheless!

Can you guys do this sort of thing online? It's a bit far for a lot of us
While it's not the distance that it would be for some people, it is a fair distance for myself to go. The event Committee recognizes that travel time and costs make participation in this for a number of people difficult if not impractical. The same could be said for any location chosen, of course -- the reason Hunt Valley, Maryland was chosen was, again, because it is CivIV developer Firaxis Games' backyard.

I take it you're asking if these events could be streamed online? We would have liked to. Unfortunately, practicalities have made that prohibitive financially as well as logistically. :( Efforts are to be made to document the event audiovisually, however, for releases afterwards for all Civ fans.

How much response have to had to this event? A first one is always tricky to pull off...

How much response have to had to this event?
In terms of registrations to date, not as many as we would like. We would like to see much more!

A first one is always tricky to pull off...
A constant balancing act to realize for certain. It's the first CivCon, but not the first Civilization-based convention -- that was ApolyCon '06.

Just saw this as a bullet while surfing the GOTM forum ...

Posts for almost a year now ... I have to get around more in the site :lol:

Hunt Valley used to be the site of Avalon-Con, of the Avalon Hill board games. Is there some evolutionary relationship between the two, or are the locations coincidental?

dV

addendum: After a little web research, AH was absorbed by Hasbro and the Avalon-Con crowd appears to have morphed in to the Boardgame Players Association ... see http://www.boardgamers.org/ hosting events in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

dV

Just saw this as a bullet while surfing the GOTM forum ...

Posts for almost a year now ... I have to get around more in the site :lol:
:D

Hunt Valley used to be the site of Avalon-Con, of the Avalon Hill board games. Is there some evolutionary relationship between the two, or are the locations coincidental?
Coincidental, but interrelated. Avalon Hill re-published the Civilization board game originally from Hartland Trefoil in 1980, one year prior. While with MicroPROSE, Firaxis Games' Sid Meier obtained the rights to the name, leading to the first Civ for the PC in 1991. MPS' first office was located in Hunt Valley, and indeed was the last of it to be closed in 2003. Firaxis owes its origin, location included, to MPS.

I think if the tournament had prizes, and they were nice, alot more people might be interested in participating...and traveling far to do so. :) It might encourage more interest in the game franchise as well, thus providing a sort of advertising both for current civs and for future civs.
My original answer here was in the negative, and that's no longer the case :) -- see this follow-up post.

I was just reading the event details. So I would need a laptop in order to participate?

I was just reading the event details. So I would need a laptop in order to participate?
You would only need a laptop in order to play in the Beyond the Sword multiplayer tournaments -- it is not required otherwise. It is possible that fellow participant might allow you to borrow theirs to play in a game from time-to-time, but I wouldn't expect it.

Would it be fair to assume Firaxis might actually produce some new game news at this?

can somebody ASK wtf tk_tk2 is in the new patch for bts ive asked at firaxis forums like weeks ago and still no reply its anoying cause you cant add buddys easy anymore

Don't get a job in advertising Dan!

Your meant to say "possible!"

Don't get a job in advertising Dan!

Your meant to say "possible!"
Firaxis has made it clear that no such announcements are to be made, so I'm doing the same here -- it's only fair. I wouldn't want any participant expecting it, and to be disappointed when that expectation wasn't realized.

As for advertising, I have no such interest in the field so there's no concern there. :p

Thanks for the honesty Dan, appreciate it. Have to wonder when the hell they are going to announce anyhting new...

Top Bottom