Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Gwahahahahahhahaha!!!

How long have I slept? Is not April Fools Day, right?

Oh, man...

Maybe we get to see the Giant Mutant Missile Mech Squid after all. :rolleyes:

By the way... If someone told you five years ago that the forums would have topics like this in the future, would you believe him?

Steam hacked - All Steam users are adviced to change their Steam passwords (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6)

Civilization MMORPG.

Size 24 city in 100 turns

Civilization 5 Rants Thread (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)

Speculation: New patch and/or DLC on the 21st of november (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)

No. But I wouldn't be surprise if they are still here in 5 years. I wasted my money on CiV. I was betrayed by Firaxis and 2K. I will not buy another civ game until I know it is good (and I will use you guys for that!) and that it does not use Steam or have DLC.

You aren't getting my money again Firaxis. Goodbye.

No. But I wouldn't be surprise if they are still here in 5 years. I wasted my money on CiV. I was betrayed by Firaxis and 2K. I will not buy another civ game until I know it is good (and I will use you guys for that!) and that it does not use Steam or have DLC.

You aren't getting my money again Firaxis. Goodbye.

I know exactly how you feel. We were lied to, plain and simple. Corporate greed pure and simple.

Occupy Firaxis! :p (or 2K Games who I feel are most responsible for this disaster)

You'll be pleased to know that their profits from Civilization 5 are being plowed into a Civilization MMO then.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07/21/xl-games-making-civilization-mmo/

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=446789

Wow, I actually double checked the links just to make sure this wasn't some pathetic attempt at a joke. Seriously 2k? a MMO? does your blatant greed know no bounds? But here's a question for the corp money grubbers. How much are you going to charge for another piece crap that will require 3rd party software, crappy content, and an overabundance of false advertising and continuous barrage of dlc?
Time to start looking for an Indy who actually cares about what a 4x game actually should be.

Im sure this has been ranted about before but i must too. Has anyone in the entire world that plays this game, has played this game or will play this game actually took one of these ridiculously annoying repetitive peace deals that pop up. They want 10 of your cities, all of your gold, all of your luxury items and all of your strategic items and they have barely attacked you and if they ever do attack you you already know they will lose because the war AI is so bad.

Im just imagining all of the people who play this game having to hit refuse over and over and the creators of the game thought this was a good idea to put in?

This time I made a test: I loaded the game a few turns before everyone declaring war, bribed the main opponents to go to war with each other, moved the bulk of my army to the proximity of my borders, and focused my production on additional military units. In short, I made going to war with me even more painful than it already would have been. But surpisingly (or perhaps not), when I reached that same turn all those civs declared war on me anyway, regardless of the fact that they had other wars to worry about and that my bribery was in large part composed of resources that they would lose by declaring war on me. But they did. And the pattern repeated itself: they fought the war aimlessly, they all refused to even negotiate peace, even the ones who were beign exterminated, until after many many turns they decided to surrender on extremely generous terms.

How many turns back did you go? Many times, you'll see the AI set up a dogpile 10 turns in advance, when they sign that "Give me 10 turns to get ready" pact with each other. You see a chain denouncement of multiple civs against you on the same turn? Caution, dogpile ahead...

Go back 11 turns, try your avoidance strategy, and report back if you wanted a fair test. ;)

Im sure this has been ranted about before but i must too. Has anyone in the entire world that plays this game, has played this game or will play this game actually took one of these ridiculously annoying repetitive peace deals that pop up. They want 10 of your cities, all of your gold, all of your luxury items and all of your strategic items and they have barely attacked you and if they ever do attack you you already know they will lose because the war AI is so bad.

Im just imagining all of the people who play this game having to hit refuse over and over and the creators of the game thought this was a good idea to put in?

I've wondered the same thing. I haven't bothered to rant about it (yet) though, because if this were the only thing wrong with the game, I'd have no trouble overlooking it. I'd also add that when they open diplomacy just to taunt you for whatever, it doesn't add much to the game except the time between turns (which is already ridiculousy long if especially if combat animations are enabled).

New to the forum and this thread, so this may be an out of date post to respond to, but:

Dislike:

1) completely opaque diplomacy

2) bad tactical AI (really bad)

Agreed - the two really key problems, I feel. Also, where has the age-old diplomacy network screen gone? It's a lot easier and quicker to identify relationships that way than with a list, and I'm sure city-states could have been incorporated into the graphic.

3) no health (this was a neat governor on city pop. growth in civ iv)

If anything I prefer this, and it has to be seen in the context of the rest of the game - in Civ V population, rather than number of cities, is the dominant factor in production - extra pop in the capital has much the same effect as an extra 1 pop city, so it's more limiting to constrain growth, and indeed there are more food-producing improvements and no tile-working restrictions that would be hit hard by restoring health. Population is also no longer taken into account for diplomatic victory, so you can't spam your way to victory any more.

But fundamentally, health as a mechanic limited strategy - there were a few very limited ways to deal with it, and they required the same actions and techs for everyone. Civ is fundamentally a strategy game, and contrary to popular belief management is not synonymous with strategy. Health was a prime example: something that forced you to manage it, but which didn't offer any strategic flexibility in how you did so, and indeed by forcing a particular tech route for at least part of the game limited the strategies you could employ.

4) no city maintenance cost or corruption (this limited number of cities in earlier versions of civ)

I'd forgotten corruption altogether. Agreed, that was a good mechanic, and one tailor-made for limiting/altering with a policy branch. City maintenance, not so sure. Again removing restrictions on city numbers, like those on pop growth, allows you to choose between the two depending on strategy. Building maintenance is still in the game, and the more cities you have the more buildings, so there's still an effect which forces a trade-off. It's just the base maintenance cost that's gone.

5) civilization-wide happiness (liked the civ iv model better)

Undecided on this - I think it's a matter of personal preference rather than something either game approached better than the other. Personally I'm happy enough with the 'macro' focus of Civ 5 away from individual city management towards overall empire management.

6) no replay function after winning (and lame victory screen)

One of my all-time favourite aspects of Civ was the timeline view where I could watch each civ's territories expand and contract throughout an accelerated version of the game. Yes, I'd like that back - watching actual replays, not bothered.

7) Downloadable *paid* content; especially charging for map packs.*

In principle I don't object; what I mind is cynically leaving things out of the base game so that they can be added later (such as maps and scenarios - by all means add new ones in DLC, but there are *no* scenarios in the base game, and real-world maps shouldn't need to be added).

8) No-stacking (you should at least be able to stack 2 units).

Didn't Civ 1 actually have a 3-unit-per-stack limit? I think stacking simply doesn't work with the way the combat system now calculates things. I do prefer non-stacked combat personally, and don't think allowing a second unit to stack really adds anything.

9) Removal of religion (some of my best civ 4'ing was starting a jewish crusade as germany :) ).

I'd like *a* religion mechanic back. I don't want the Civ 4 religion mechanic back. It was too fundamental to gameplay, the exclusive religions forced you to tech to them very quickly or, if you missed the boat, you had to hope you were in range of a religious Civ whose faith could spread to you by random chance.

10) Total dumbing down of the whole game; screwing over the hardcore players (us) and giving in to the mainstream.

I don't know if that qualifies as constructive criticism... I'm not sure what 'mainstream' that would be - I really don't think there's a computer gaming community out there clamouring "Make Civ more like a board game!", and it doesn't obviously resemble any gaming genre currently in vogue. Rather it's turned from a god-sim-inspired game with the emphasis on simulation to something resembling strategy board games - it's appealing to a different niche market, not to a mainstream (the last thing 'mainstream' computer gamers would go for is a simplified combat system, for a start).

Phil

I'd be okay with tech trading being gone if Research Pacts were less "one size fits all SURPRISE!!!NEW TECH!!!"-ish. Any nuance or complexity in them would make me a happy camper, but as-is I find myself pinin' for the fjords tech trades.

To be honest I'd prefer both, and I'd also make research agreements a rather later development - after all it's a far earlier development to show someone how to make this newfangled round disc you're sticking on boxes to make them roll than it is to have a formalized academic culture than can collaborate on developing new research. It would also make sense for a research agreement to be conducted to pursue a specific research topic (i.e. you both want to collaborate to develop Computers, with the result that both civs get the same tech more quickly and can research it while still being able to pursue other techs as normal).

Hate the fact that I still can't set up a system wherein one city makes food and another makes production and the two support each other. That was achievable waaaaaaaay back in the days of Civ1 and Food Caravans, and it annoys me that it's never returned.

Wasn't it possible with harbours in Civ 2 or 3? Yes, that would be a good addition.

Phil

My biggest beef with the game is the diplomacy. The AI just has no sense of it. One turn they will want to offer me a pact of cooperation. I mis-click on accident and then ask them if they want one. They say no it's not in their best interest. Another example: Gandhi will come asking if I want to join him in a war against Elizabeth, I say no because I don't feel like getting in a war. 1 turn later I will ask Gandhi if he wants to go to war against Elizabeth and he says "No, we've already been through this before, the answer is still no."

I feel there are major flaws with diplomacy in Civ V, but in fairness this one was true of all earlier versions of Civ as well (I didn't play Civ IV with the expansions that much - I understand the AI was massively improved then, so maybe it didn't happen as much with that patch).

Phil

Here's what I hate.

[capsrant_on]

WHO THE HELL WAS F*&$^@ STUPID ENOUGH TO FORCE YOU TO MAKE EVERY DAMN UNIT HAVE ORDERS! LIKE I GIVE A DAMN ABOUT A STUPID WORKER THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO. WHY DO I HAVE TO FORCE THROUGH 10 UNIT SLEEP COMMANDS EACH TURN!!

MORONS!!!!!!
[/capsrant]

This is so annoying. Quite seriously, when I started playing this version (on Warlord since I hadn't played a Civ game for years), I really thought this and the giant bubble notifications were just for the tutorial levels, because the interface really does make you feel as though you're playing a tutorial.

How many turns back did you go? Many times, you'll see the AI set up a dogpile 10 turns in advance, when they sign that "Give me 10 turns to get ready" pact with each other. You see a chain denouncement of multiple civs against you on the same turn? Caution, dogpile ahead...

Go back 11 turns, try your avoidance strategy, and report back if you wanted a fair test. ;)

Hmm, as bad as the AI is, I haven't run across that yet. The war I'm in actually made some sense - Babylon declared war after I settled a city near them, and offered peace as soon as their invasion failed. I'm now repeatedly refusing peace offers (no strings attached, I just want to pursue the war...) in our second round of hostilities since I have a bigger army and am hitting their capital.

Please don't make several posts in a row, edit previous ones if you want to add something but have already submitted a post and nobody has replied to it in the meantime.

To that end, the "Multi" button is your friend. :)

If I ever play civ again it'll be modded Civ IV. Civ 5 makes me feel like I'm always trying to claw my way out of quicksand. Firaxis, you are now on my gaming list. And it's a really long list. In fact you are one of the reasons that I'll never preorder anything ever again.

You must to be too young to remember Master of Orion 3...

It's quite funny (or depressing, depending how you look on it), that more people are visiting the Civ4 forums.

It's quite funny that the main thing people seem to want Civ IV for is ease of modding - in summary, people are arguing that they'd rather have a game in need of fixing that they *can* fix rather than one they can't.

Certainly I liked Civ IV and I've never felt any motivation to uninstall older versions of Civ; I've played the two in tandem before now. But even in its final form Civ IV had problems - corporations seem to be the dirty little secret everyone agrees never to mention, the combat system was as bad as it's ever been (and in no Civ game has it been good), the key thing everyone praises about religion - its influence on diplomacy - was accompanied by a lot of more poorly thought-out elements like random spread and exclusive religions (you think nuclear subs without Nuclear Fission or giant death robots without Robotics are illogical? What about polytheists who can't build religious structures because someone else founded Hinduism first?). The idea that it's '4X perfection' is just nostalgic nonsense.

Civ V? I was extremely wary at the start - having read bad reviews it was the first Civ game I didn't go out and buy, in fact I waited until it was very cheap on a Steam special offer weekend before touching it a year after release. And then I was so put off by the interface with its childish fonts and bubbles and its insistent tutorial-attitude 'Do something with this unit! Now!" that it took me a couple of goes to even get through a full game. But once I did I was very relieved - possibly because my expectations had been so low to begin with, but I definitely got the Civ 'feel' from it. It's reactionary to equate change in the game to 'dumbing down' - as I know because that was exactly my reaction. Yes, it does look like a console game - but it doesn't obviously play like one. There isn't a crowd-pleasing mainstream genre it obviously falls within or is likely to attract (other than perhaps Civilization, since given low sales of computer games generally and strategy games specifically it's hard to get more mainstream than a genre in which a single franchise has sold over 6 million games) - arguably the aspects with most popular appeal and recognition (such as tech trees, 'great people' with special abilities likely to appeal to the masses who play hero-dominated games, unit promotions - which for basically elitist reasons I disliked as crass dumbing down when they were first introduced - and wonders that represent highly-sought 'achievements' that give your Civ super-leet abilities) are either fundamentals of Civilization or were added in earlier incarnations. "Social policies are selected in the same way as MMORG skills - therefore they're the same" is a non sequitur; the two are completely different in function despite sharing the same basic tech structure - indeed the MMORG/Diablo skill tree design surely takes its own inspiration from Civilization-style tech trees, but they aren't close to being the same thing mechanically.

It really is time to drop the illusion that Civilization is a game for a niche elite - it's one of the best-recognized and most successful brands in computer game history, it both defined a mainstream genre and inspired now-common elements in others, such as RTSes (and, yes, 'tech trees' in Diablo-style MMORGs, whether directly or indirectly via RTS games). The first game with 'hero leaders', a stalwart of many RTS games, may in fact have been Master of Orion 2, and the first Master of Orion - directly modelled on Civilization - introduced the 'each race has a different special ability' that has since largely defined different races/civs in any game genre you care to mention.

Above all, just be grateful that Civ V isn't the mess that Master of Orion 3 was, and isn't the sellout that Age of Empires Online is. Yes, it's adapted for a modern market that exploits the flexibility of downloadable content rather than traditional expansions - but every Civ title has had expansions and people are even claiming that Civ IV is only worth playing with the content from both its official expansions included.

I'm certainly not saying I don't have issues with Civ V - in some areas I think it is oversimplified (especially in resource management, now that research is no longer tied to trade income and luxuries are just a fixed bonus from special resources), the AI is terrible, and while the DLC model is defensible, releasing a base game with some civilizations (such as Spain) plainly deliberately excluded for later addition, with limited maps and no scenarios, stinks of cynical marketing to try and force people to buy extra content that should have been in the base game. But as someone who's played Civ since the first game came out, the nostalgia trips on this thread seem far too heavily rose-tinted.

Originally Posted by Aeronomer
There are still developers out there whose primary motivation is being rewarded for giving the customer what they want.

And this is what scares me.

Sometimes I am afraid that THAT is exactly what Firaxis did in this last iteration. Sometimes I ask myself if THIS thing is exactly what customers wanted. Sometimes I doubt if we are just a minority, the hardcore fans that are in for a deep, engaging and challenging experience...

To some extent this may be true - partly because as above Civilization is a high-profile mainstream game rather than an obscure little strategy game hardly anyone outside its supporters has heard of (as is the apparent feeling here), but also because the fans are not the ones who necessarily know what's best for game design, or indeed what they do want - they'll say "give us X", "let us do Y" but without putting it into a broader context.

Master of Orion 3 has been cited as a case of a developer giving the fans exactly what they asked for - it ended up being what none of them wanted, yet if you'd asked them beforehand if they would have preferred a game with greater micromanagement a large portion of them would probably have said yes. Granted they wouldn't have added "and please automate everything else so that the game effectively plays itself since the micro-scale stuff doesn't really impact gameplay that much", but surely that is a case in point - people request something without thinking it through, and (for instance) micromanagement can only be emphasised by deemphasising macromanagement in some way.

Phil

I think its all about the AI. The game has some great concepts in it, no doubt.

The AI is simply miserable. As a programmer, I think I could write a better one in six or seven weekends. Even a turtling AI would be better than what we have. The AI is the worst AI I've ever seen in a computer game.

Just played a game trying to get back into Civ V. Played on a hard difficultly level. I was able to take an entire civ with four cannons and five riflemen. I think I destroyed about 80 units. Its stupid.

If the AI gets fixed in a patch, the game has serious potential. There is no "grand scope", no tactical planning like in Civ 4 - because none of it matters. The combat AI is so bad that the game is unplayable. And it isn't that it is too technical or hard with 1UPT to do decent AI - if, 9 years ago, they could make an AI that could fight battles in Medival: Total War and be incredibly challenging, then you can do this.

Whoever did the AI for this game should never be allowed to touch a computer again.

Does anyone know if they are going to upgrade the AI in patches?

Until the AI is upgraded, the game is unplayable. Its like sim city with the current AI.

I think its all about the AI. The game has some great concepts in it, no doubt.

The AI is simply miserable. As a programmer, I think I could write a better one in six or seven weekends. Even a turtling AI would be better than what we have. The AI is the worst AI I've ever seen in a computer game.

Just played a game trying to get back into Civ V. Played on a hard difficultly level. I was able to take an entire civ with four cannons and five riflemen. I think I destroyed about 80 units. Its stupid.

If the AI gets fixed in a patch, the game has serious potential. There is no "grand scope", no tactical planning like in Civ 4 - because none of it matters. The combat AI is so bad that the game is unplayable. And it isn't that it is too technical or hard with 1UPT to do decent AI - if, 9 years ago, they could make an AI that could fight battles in Medival: Total War and be incredibly challenging, then you can do this.

Whoever did the AI for this game should never be allowed to touch a computer again.

Until the AI is upgraded, the game is unplayable. Its like sim city with the current AI.

Sure, you can do something that took a whole team several months in two weeks...
Since you are obviously the best coder in the world I'd like to offer you a senior position in my company with a 1 million $+ salary.

You need more experience. The AI on release was miles ahead of what Heroes IV had.

There is no "grand scope", no tactical planning like in Civ 4 - because none of it matters. The combat AI is so bad that the game is unplayable.

You need more experience, yet again. The combat AI was routinely mocked in the Civ 4 strategy forums. Civ 4's tactical planning amounted to a stack of siege and some anti-mounted.

As a programmer, I think I could write a better one in six or seven weekends.

Why wait? You're a programmer that can write an AI in six or seven weekends. Start modding.

The combat AI is so bad that the game is unplayable. Until the AI is upgraded, the game is unplayable.

multiplayer :

civ5>civ4

single player :

civ4>civ5

Single player is better for civ4 because mainly the AI is better at war. But these 2 games are the same in some way : AI abuse.

If you program the AI, please make trades more fair for both sides and make the AI refuse deals more often, both for lux trades from civ5 and tech trading from civ4. And make the AI less diplo oriented in civ4 as it can be easily predictable presently mainly due to the simplistic +/- modifier.

Multiplayer is the most balanced part of the game(assuming you play against equal skilled players). Unfortunately, SoD makes this game like a coin flip for human players for civ4. My stack is bigger, i killed your stack, you are dead. That's all. Fortunately, the combat system is really nice from civ5 if you fight humans. But again, even the multiplayer platform is weak unless you plan accordingly with trusted players and multi sessions, added with the fact that you can't play with more than 6 players.

It's really sad seriously. Civ4 and Civ5 suffer a lot from bad macro/micro systems than a human can abuse like no one else. Poor AI. What they did to overcome this? Massive bonuses. This tells it all.

Small Rant:
It looks impossible to me to team up together with another AI Leader and start a war.
It is only possible to join them if they ask me, every time i ask them (even if they denounced another player) they just say no :king::D

The next thing are the peace negotiations. I ask them... lets make peace and they say no almost every time(no negotiations possible). A few rounds later they want to make peace and i can agree. :crazyeye:

Sure, you can do something that took a whole team several months in two weeks...
Since you are obviously the best coder in the world I'd like to offer you a senior position in my company with a 1 million $+ salary.

Writing a good AI is not about coding... it's about intellegence, logic and mathematics... If I recall correctly, Shafer wrote much of the AI and I think it's safe to say that he's no expert in these aspects...

He attended Colorado State University from 2002-2005, studying History and Computer Science. After acquiring a position at Firaxis he left Colorado State but later completed his undergraduate study at Towson University in 2006 with a BS in History.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Shafer

3 years? That's no education! It's unbelievable how they could pick him...

So, pick a random professor in mathematics/probability theory and I promis you that he/she would write a better AI within a week. Unless, he's a real genious, there's is no way a 25-year old punk without a proper education should be able to write a good AI.

"You need more experience. The AI on release was miles ahead of what Heroes IV had."

"Why wait? You're a programmer that can write an AI in six or seven weekends. Start modding."

"Sure, you can do something that took a whole team several months in two weeks...
Since you are obviously the best coder in the world I'd like to offer you a senior position in my company with a 1 million $+ salary."

A few points.

What is Heroes IV? I made a comparison to MTW, which had a much more complicated combat model, took three less years to develop, and was done a while ago, and that AI *dominates* this AI.

First, I was speaking of the military AI. There is alot more, *alot* more than military AI in civ V. But yes, I think you could do better with the military AI in a relatively short amount of time. As I said in my post, a simple turtle AI (occupy all highly defensible squares in your territory with your highest defense unit, have all non defensible squares accessible to your highest offensive unit, do not invade) would be better than what we have now.

Second, I don't think people realize how bad this AI is in the grand scheme of things. Its atrocious, guys. Is it more complicated than combat? Of course it is - you need to know what units to build, what improvements, etc... However, given about 80 hours, i think any decent AI programmer could beat what we have now for unit versus unit gameplay movement. The AI is miserable. You can bait it, it almost never makes the correct decisions, it constantly boxes itself in... its ridiculous.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that a computer science student with this as a senior year project could demolish the current combat AI (not all the AI, but the combat AI, absolutely). Its not about being the "best programmer in the world" - its about extremely simple logic trees. Civ 5 doesn't seem like it has them. AI units wander away, they defend meaningless tiles - there is seemingly no priority system at all.

Actually, an interesting modding experiment would be to write this AI:

If at peace, move to the most defensible tile not already occupied between your city and another civ.

If at war, and you can win the attack, attack. If you cannot win the attack, retreat to a square where you cannot be attacked by a superior unit. If you cannot retreat, move to the highest defensible tile.

I'm not saying that is good, and it wouldn't be, but that would take about 10 hours to code. I bet that algorithm is 80-90% as effective as the current AI.

Really, I like the game. The problem is that the combat AI makes the game stupid and pointless - you can play however you want, basically, because you will win any war. I am willing to bet if the combat AI would improve to even a rudimentary level, the game would take a huge leap in playability. The AI stinks, and it ruins the game for decent players.

"You need more experience. The AI on release was miles ahead of what Heroes IV had."

"Why wait? You're a programmer that can write an AI in six or seven weekends. Start modding."

"Sure, you can do something that took a whole team several months in two weeks...
Since you are obviously the best coder in the world I'd like to offer you a senior position in my company with a 1 million $+ salary."

I'm not saying that is good, and it wouldn't be, but that would take about 10 hours to code. I bet that algorithm is 80-90% as effective as the current AI.

If you're so damned smart and awesome at coding, then make a better game and make millions.

Top Bottom