Status
Not open for further replies.
America = 11
Arabia = 5
Japan = 4
Rome 12+1=13: best remaining civ
Spain 15-3=12: really dislike the religion game

America = 11
Arabia = 2 (5-3) Saladin looks like the bad guy from Sindbad the Sailor. Good but not like Saladin.
Japan = 4
Rome 14 (13+1) legionary:cool:
Spain 12

America = 11
Arabia = 2
Japan = 4
Rome = 14 + 1 = 15 I just don't understand how people can say this is not a accurate description.
Spain = 15 - 3 = 12 Good, but not as good as Rome.

Moderator Action: Removed all font styles on wall of large bolded text -Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
America = 11
Arabia = 2
Japan = 5 (4+1) deserves to be in the top 3.
Rome = 12 (15-3) I don't think they are top 3.
Spain = 9

Fixed scores from above

Last edited by a moderator:
America = 11
Arabia = 3 (2+1) Probably not helping, but I think this one is together with Spain (if it weren't for the bull) the best.
Japan = 5
Rome = 9 (12-3) While I like the inclusion of Trajan, he should look like Trajan, too. Among other reasons.
Spain = 9

America = 11
Arabia = 0 (3-3) ELIMINATED
Japan = 5
Rome = 10 (9+1) Very good Rome, not the usual "here are a bunch of military units" approach
Spain = 9

America = 11
Japan = 5-3=2 - While definitely good, the district bonus isn't very good way to depict Japan. Same with electronics factory. It should go now.
Rome = 10
Spain = 9+1=10 - Everything (if we don't count the icon) fits the Spanish Empire during one era. Everything. This deserves to win.

America 11-3 = 8 - I just don't really see the U.S. as a cultural civ, at all. It has been a melting pot for every other European culture since it was established and only since the world wars has it really gained worldwide influence. Which should not be mistaken for culture. Not to knock the U.S. they have progressed more in less time than anyone, but they are still relatively young and culture is a byproduct of age. They aught to be themed on production/gold and diplomacy; with Science victory as their ideal victory condition.
Japan 2+1 = 3 - I absolutely love Japan and their representation this time, it is easily my pick as the most faithful to their history and culture. It's the first time they've got it right in a civ game too. Their bonuses might seem a bit odd if looked at literally, but the effect they have on its relative playstyle withing the context of the game's rules feels very appropriate.
Rome = 10
Spain = 10

Edit: thanks Siptah

Last edited:
America = 8 (corrected math from previous post)
Japan = 4 (3 + 1) The district adjacency boost does a great job of supporting settlement in constrained areas (like Japan) while remaining useful in other contexts).
Rome = 10
Spain = 7 (10 - 3) I don't really get the mission improvement. While science certainly isn't incompatible with religion, it doesn't tend to fit well with the militant form of religion represented by Spain's Civ VI bonuses. The trade route bonus sounds like a good fit but in reality rewards early starts near arbitrary continent borders instead of actual overseas colonization.

America = 8
Japan = 4
Rome = 10 - 3 = 7
Spain = 7 + 1 = 8

America... unchanged. Do not agree they are not a late game culture player. Their media industry has been, and is still the strongest - and the film studio reflects this. Of course, they have not a very old culture, but have make the most of their past epic (western) and current trough film and TV. Maybe the pop music has to be shared with the Brits, the blue jeans not. Cannot give the +1 this time, tough.

Japan... unchanged: oxigen baloon was initially meant for them this time, but they have received it already. As with above, i disagree with saying packed cities are not a japanese disctintive trait... Just need to see any photo of japanese cities to comfirm a lot is going on in a few square meters. Maybe Meiji restoration was not the best name, howewer. I guess they just needed to get the name in somewhat.

Spain, +1: not really my first choice, but a reaction to save the science on the mission. Of course it clashes with the religious militant side of Conquistador / El Escorial, but that is what makes it a good depiction: to recognize there are flip sides to the same coin, dark and light, and the same piety can ve used to justify wars and to learn from the different (probably not by the same person, but a civilization is. Lot of people)

Rome, -3: Nothing against them really, but they have the most points and others needed some points to be defended.

America = 8
Japan = 4
Rome = 7-3=4
Spain = 8+1=9

Baths replacing aqueducts is kind of hinky. While I understand that aquaducts are still in the district's art and baths are an important part of Roman culture it still seems strange to include aqueducts and preclude the civilization they are most associated with from building a standard one, rather than just making baths their own unique building. I don't particularly care for Trajan as a leader since while he certainly was a good emperor (one of the 5, lul) I don't see him as the sort of pragmatic elitist I associate with Rome in Civilization as opposed to Julius and Augustus. Lastly while I LOVE the road ability and find it very fitting the free monument is pretty strange considering the fact that the actual Trajan's column is one column and is a world wonder. I really like its representation but I have to get kind of nit-picky as we approach armageddon.

If I must choose between America and Spain to be in the lead I choose Spain.

America = 8
Japan = 4+1 = 5 The district adjacency bonus is useful in the game and thematically interesting. It also balances out the thematically good but in-game not as useful coastal bonuses
Rome = 4-3 = 1 Thematically the 'all roads lead to' makes sense, but in game it just doesn't...free roads would be fine if workers made roads but free roads instead of needing (many) trade routes doesn't make sense.
Spain = 9

America = 8 - 3 = 5 (Lots of differing opinions here but this is too high - America is not an all out culture civ)
Japan = 5
Rome = 1
Spain = 9 + 1 = 10 (I'm ok with Spain as the last left)

America = (5+1)=6 I would've given a vote to Rome, but it looks like a lost cause. The culture of America is represented through their dominance in film, which is accurate for today.
Japan = (5-3)=2 I've given my reasons before, too focused on the later eras of Japanese history
Rome = 1
Spain =10

America = 6
Japan = 3 (2+1) deserves to be in top 3.
Rome = 0 (1-3) - ELIMINATED - good place for Rome to be.
Spain =10

America = 7 (6+1; this is probably the best depiction of America that has been implemented yet in a game of civ. I laugh at the notion that America isn't a cultural civ. There's a difference between high class culture, and culture. I expect this to come in second, though)
Japan = 0 (3-3; ELIMINATED Just not quite as good as Spain or America's depiction. I think Rome was better too, but then I can see why people struggled with Trajan's image)
Spain =10

Edit: Introducing Teddy Roosevelt as himself, starring in: The Spanish-American War!

Last edited:
America = 8 = 7+1 Reasons previously stated.
Spain = 7 = 10-3 Spain is actually pretty good to me, and I wouldn't mind it winning - but we quickly got down to the top 2, and I've been voting for USA most recently, and certainly can't down-vote it now!

Two down votes on either one could finish the game here!

America 8+1=9
Spain 7-3=4

I like America's depiction more than Spain.

Not voting. Don't want to become the guy who ruins it for half of you.

But concerning Japan's depiction... it's a really mixed bag of sorts that I couldn't upvote or downvote. Electronics Factory was creative. Divine Wind combat bonus on beaches fits well to Japan's island geography. When I saw this bonus apply to priest fights I was intrigued. "Divine" Wind it is then!
They picked a lesser-known Shogun rather than the three heroes of Japanese unification. But their Civ ability is Meiji Restoration? The 19th Century movement that reduced the Shogun's authority to shambles? Which is depicted by a bunch of districts working more efficiently? Why do they introduce the Eureka feature in the game and not use it to represent Meiji Restoration?
Well, I guess it's comparable to how Teddy's Civ ability is called Founding Fathers... Maybe it's some kind of hint for the upcoming alternative leader...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom