[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

What are we thinking about the reveal schedule? Do we think they will reveal what civs are in the third DLC pack around the time Ethiopia is released this month? Or do we think we won't get any details until August or early September?

I am a bit surprised Ethiopia hasn't been completely revealed yet. DLC pack 2 should be coming out soon. And although they didn't reveal Maya/GC until less than a week before the release of DLC pack 1, I don't think that's necessarily the best promotion strategy. I certainly didn't think it was wise to forgo a preorder period for NFP.
No one knows, but honestly, since I have a clear new content schedule from Firaxis I don't bother. Just wait for Ethiopia first look 16.06.

Maya and Gran Colombia: 21/05
June 2020 update: 25/06

I’d reckon we see Ethiopia on the 23/07, maybe a First Look on the 16th.

I’m not too concerned, as it’s only ever gonna be two month to wait for each DLC. It would be nice to at least know a bit more about the later packs, though.

No one knows, but honestly, since I have a clear new content schedule from Firaxis I don't bother. Just wait for Ethiopia first look 16.06.

16.06?

I think we’ll probably see 1 of the 3 first looks this upcoming week, one next week and one the week after.

Who knows? This is Firaxis, who didn't tell us about the last update until the month was nearly over. They are notoriously bad at communication from what I have seen, but if you have some insight by all means go ahead. I have heard speculation that the update will be released near the 20th like the Maya and Colombia. I always hope that they surprise me with an early release date or more information, but I tend to think of the possible and not the probable.

When it comes to Firaxis, my motto for the past few years has been:

"He who hopes for nothing is never disappointed."

16.06?

I think we’ll probably see 1 of the 3 first looks this upcoming week, one next week and one the week after.

They haven't been spacing things out that much so far. If we assume a release on July 23 to follow previous timelines, then the leadup marketing will only really be July 16-22. It will also depend if they have 3 separate preview items (one for Ethiopia, one for the new game mode, and one for additional content), or if they combine any of them together (if the game mode and district are related, they may just combine them in the same preview).

And then as for when they announce either the pack 3 civs/mode/content, that's an even more open question. They could wait until September and simply announce them when they release the preview video, - that would be more or less consistent with how they've done things before, so that's probably the most likely.

What are we thinking about the reveal schedule? Do we think they will reveal what civs are in the third DLC pack around the time Ethiopia is released this month? Or do we think we won't get any details until August or early September?

I think the first two were just to drive sales for the Pass. I could see them decide to reveal a pack sooner if sales aren't going as well as expected, but otherwise I'd expect them to reveal a new Civ one week before release with a First Look. Or maybe two weeks prior if the pack has two Civs.

However, I'm holding on to the hope that they'll reveal Teddy / Catherine Persona Pack next week. The Persona Pack is the one thing you get for free if you buy the NFP, so they might want to reveal that sooner rather than later. Besides, there's three leaders in total to reveal this month, so they don't have that much time.

I am a bit surprised Ethiopia hasn't been completely revealed yet. DLC pack 2 should be coming out soon. And although they didn't reveal Maya/GC until less than a week before the release of DLC pack 1, I don't think that's necessarily the best promotion strategy. I certainly didn't think it was wise to forgo a preorder period for NFP.

I think if you reveal it too early excitement cools off. One week seems appropriate to me. I'd sure prefer it to be sooner though.

I'm predicting we will get Videos on the 14th of July, 16th of July and 21st of July before they are released on the 23rd of July.

I predict 3 First Looks because they will also be releasing the "Rough Rider Teddy" and "Magnificent Catherine" Persona Packs adjacent to the Ethiopean DLC so I suspect we will get videos of those too. I'm not sure which order that will be though. I would hope Ethiopia is first on the 14th, and then the two after will be the PPs.

However they could instead combine the two persona packs into one video and then a third video will be an "Update video" where they talk about any updates they are going to make to the game and what the secret socities game mode will be about; this may or may not include the details on the PPs...

Basically, we don't know; however the dates to look out for will be the 14th, 16th and 21st for any reveals or new information.

I think the first two were just to drive sales for the Pass. I could see them decide to reveal a pack sooner if sales aren't going as well as expected, but otherwise I'd expect them to reveal a new Civ one week before release with a First Look. Or maybe two weeks prior if the pack has two Civs.

I hope this doesn't end up being the case haha. I'm really excited to find out at least what civs are in each DLC more than a week in advance. And I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to wait to reveal anything until a week before each DLC pack. If they did a general reveal first about a month in advance like they did with DLC packs 1 and 2, then first looks closer to release, having two events over a broader period of time rather than one would create and sustain more interest with more regular PR.

I'm just very anxious. We've only had one new civ revealed so far and those are the ones that are really catching my attention (I'm still quite happy the Maya and Ethiopia were included; they were in my mind the two most unequivocally proper civs to include in VI...the other veterans seem to jive less with VI for one reason or another). If we got nothing but newcomers from here on out I would be ecstatic, unlikely as that is.

Last edited:
Anyone having more crashes since the most recent patch (within the past week)? This has actually been one of the most stable games I have played, but this afternoon has been crashing a few times. I'm not sure why. Most likely a mod conflict. I'm running ynamp, colorized historic moments, and steel and thunder units packs (2 mods).

And damn, one of the more annoying things for me right now is how every time I have to load a game, having to expand the gossip messages on the top right side. I get annoyed having to do that every single time. Worse today because of all the crashes. I'm one of those geeks who likes to keep tabs on the gossip messages. I don't read every single one, usually they go too fast when playing huge or enormous maps, but I try to keep up with what I can.

Anyone having more crashes since the most recent patch (within the past week)? This has actually been one of the most stable games I have played, but this afternoon has been crashing a few times. I'm not sure why. Most likely a mod conflict. I'm running ynamp, colorized historic moments, and steel and thunder units packs (2 mods).

And damn, one of the more annoying things for me right now is how every time I have to load a game, having to expand the gossip messages on the top right side. I get annoyed having to do that every single time. Worse today because of all the crashes. I'm one of those geeks who likes to keep tabs on the gossip messages. I don't read every single one, usually they go too fast when playing huge or enormous maps, but I try to keep up with what I can.
I hardly use Mods; the only one I have is YNAMP (who dosen't?) and even then that's almost always disabled. But recently since the last patch I have had the game crash on me twice and twice on start-up which has never happened to me before when the mod is disabled.

The announcement said that along with a New leader model and ability, the reskins will also have a new agenda. Do you think they will also get a new voiced animation along with this? It wouldn't make sense to have the same animation and dialogue for a different agenda right?

The announcement said that along with a New leader model and ability, the reskins will also have a new agenda. Do you think they will also get a new voiced animation along with this? It wouldn't make sense to have the same animation and dialogue for a different agenda right?
I'm still trying to figure out how Teddy will be different than the one we currently have unless they are reworking the old one as well? I'm assuming this new ability would still have to give him the Rough Rider UU.

I'm still trying to figure out how Teddy will be different than the one we currently have unless they are reworking the old one as well? I'm assuming this new ability would still have to give him the Rough Rider UU.

Yea, this is my biggest problem. Teddy was already very focused on his Rough Rider days.

The UU is the only thing I see strictly rough rider focused currently. The +5 on the home continent is a broad stand in for his aggressive colonialism.

I'm guessing the 'rough rider' LUA will be something along the lines of raising military forces from population, ala the Civ 4 'draft' ability, as the Rough Riders were volunteer. But we'll find out soon.

I'd be more than happy if the new version actually reworks the old one as well (but presumably leaves it as-is for non-NFP holders), creating two separate teddys: more militaristic rough rider Teddy and more environmentalist national park Teddy.

I'd be more than happy if the new version actually reworks the old one as well (but presumably leaves it as-is for non-NFP holders), creating two separate teddys: more militaristic rough rider Teddy and more environmentalist national park Teddy.
I would like that too. The thing is Kupe also has the environmentalist agenda as his main one.

If FXS went down that route, I’d also like to see later governments unlock the ability to access New Mid or Late Era Governors. As I’ve said elsewhere, Governors are essentially the Civ 6 version of Civ 5's Social Policies (e.g. Victor=Honour, Magnus=Liberty, Liang=Tradition, Moshka=Piety, Reyna=Commerce, Amani=Patronage, and Pingala=Rationalism). That's cool, but what's missing is mid to late game Governors that sort of mirror Civ 5's Ideologies (ie Democracy, Communist and Fascist flavoured Governors). It would be pretty easy to implement too - just have certain Governors unlock with the Tier 3 and 4 Government Civics and or Governments.

I really like this idea. If governors gave us ideologically-specific benefits without asking us to sacrifice policy card slots at a point in the game where we're slotting victory specific-cards then I think I'd put more thought into which government I picked beyond "which government gives me the most economic policy card slots?"

I really like this idea. If governors gave us ideologically-specific benefits without asking us to sacrifice policy card slots at a point in the game where we're slotting victory specific-cards then I think I'd put more thought into which government I picked beyond "which government gives me the most economic policy card slots?"

Alternatively, just add ideologies like how they were in V, just a straight culture 'xp' race. I really liked how even if I wasn't a big culture civ at the time of the modern era, I could still go for archeology to dig up artifacts to give me a big boost to culture gains to develop my ideology, and to give me a tourism boost to defend against the big culture producers ideologies.

Right now I don't really know what the point of archeology in VI is compared to going for great artists?

Top Bottom