[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

I think the first two were just to drive sales for the Pass. I could see them decide to reveal a pack sooner if sales aren't going as well as expected, but otherwise I'd expect them to reveal a new Civ one week before release with a First Look. Or maybe two weeks prior if the pack has two Civs.

However, I'm holding on to the hope that they'll reveal Teddy / Catherine Persona Pack next week. The Persona Pack is the one thing you get for free if you buy the NFP, so they might want to reveal that sooner rather than later. Besides, there's three leaders in total to reveal this month, so they don't have that much time.
wait a second... I have to buy Ethiopia again even if I bought the whole pass?

No. Once you buy the full pass, you'll get the updates upon release.

I'd say better modulability, more reliable source of artifacts than GWA, easier to theme... But I concur, we need more mechanics around archaeologists and artifacts.
I find that more time consuming, especially with having to build the archaeologists, and usually go for art museums. The only time I ever went solely for archaeological museums every time was pre-GS England.
Part of me wishes artifacts could have different yields than just culture to differentiate it from the art work. I guess the most obvious answer would be science. I mean we already have faith great works in relics.

Part of me wishes artifacts could have different yields than just culture to differentiate it from the art work. I guess the most obvious answer would be science. I mean we already have faith great works in relics.

That's why I always go for Babylon when it's in the game. I love having my artifacts doing science, and yes, it's true, it would make more sense that artifacts lost some of their culture yields for science. Usually, I go artifacts when I'm not playing cultural (therefore not producing a lot of GAP) and art museums when I play culturel (because I usually produce enough GAP to fill my museums).

I find that more time consuming, especially with having to build the archaeologists, and usually go for art museums. The only time I ever went solely for archaeological museums every time was pre-GS England.

Better to buy the archaeologist, I guess. I almost always build at least a few archaeology museums just to get the ruins out of my territory so that I can use the tiles again. And, you do get more tourism from artifacts than from artworks.

Right now I don't really know what the point of archeology in VI is compared to going for great artists?

I find them easier to theme. If I can remember where your early battles against barbarians and neighboring civs were fought, I can usually theme a museum around ancient era artifacts. Doing this is worth a Euraka (Combustion) and two Inspirations (Natural History and Cultural Heritage). Archaeological Museums also pair nicely with Mary Leakey. Archaeology is also the only means of removing Antiquity Sites, which are otherwise useless. It would be nice if Antiquity Sites produced culture or tourism (perhaps upon researching Cultural Heritage), but as is, they're just dead space that block the construction of districts and improvements.

It would be nice if Antiquity Sites produced culture or tourism (perhaps upon researching Cultural Heritage), but as is, they're just dead space that block the construction of districts and improvements.

That's what I love with the Aquarium: it gives science from shipwrecks. It would be greatt to have a building that would give culture or science from antiquity sites. The most obvious would be Archaeological Museum but it would be neat to have another building that's less obvious, like the aquarium

That's what I love with the Aquarium: it gives science from shipwrecks. It would be greatt to have a building that would give culture or science from antiquity sites. The most obvious would be Archaeological Museum but it would be neat to have another building that's less obvious, like the aquarium
It could be a university additional science bonus.
Especially if you go for science game those placeholders would be somehow beneficial.

Any word if diplomacy is getting a pass in New Frontier Pass? I know they changed the voting for Diplomatic victory but it's still a god-awful implementation.

I honestly don't know why they struggle so hard to make diplomacy fun. You're about to win the game? Nope. Enjoy another 30 turns of clicking on "next turn"!

Any word if diplomacy is getting a pass in New Frontier Pass? I know they changed the voting for Diplomatic victory but it's still a god-awful implementation.

I honestly don't know why they struggle so hard to make diplomacy fun. You're about to win the game? Nope. Enjoy another 30 turns of clicking on "next turn"!

no but we know there is a new district coming that might effect it

Man, I hope so. The victory paths are pretty awful in general but I find diplomacy to be tied with score for the worst because there is nothing you can do to speed it up. At least with the others, you can create units or work on projects to rush things. With diplomacy, you are stuck working on relief projects or world congress sessions. Sure you can build a few wonders but that's only 6 points.

It's just awful.

I'd much rather have Civ V's implementation, warts and all. Yes, it was stupid as Hell to ban oranges but who didn't love being a warmonger with gunboat diplomacy and embargoing your peaceful opponents?

Man, I hope so. The victory paths are pretty awful in general but I find diplomacy to be tied with score for the worst because there is nothing you can do to speed it up. At least with the others, you can create units or work on projects to rush things. With diplomacy, you are stuck working on relief projects or world congress sessions. Sure you can build a few wonders but that's only 6 points.

It's just awful.

I'd much rather have Civ V's implementation, warts and all. Yes, it was stupid as Hell to ban oranges but who didn't love being a warmonger with gunboat diplomacy and embargoing your peaceful opponents?

Doesn't carbon capture award Diplomatic Victory points? At least a lot of the later techs/civics do. I won my last game as Scotland as a diplomatic victory by inventing the Seastead to allow everyone a place to live after my pollution had flooded the world :mischief:

Doesn't carbon capture award Diplomatic Victory points?

Yes, it does, and a lot, too, 30 or 50 per pop, I can't recall which. I recently won a diplomatic victory on Emperor despite being the game's biggest warmonger and holding 4 capitals - all because I hoarded so many diplomatic favour points from carbon recapture that nobody else mattered in the Congress. I was able to outvote everybody else many times over. I had multiple cities running the project, and it took 2-4 turns per pop, depending on the city. It was quite silly.

AOM's equally great scientists mod adds scientific great works to the game. It's broken currently but I thought it was a really cool idea.

Doesn't carbon capture award Diplomatic Victory points? At least a lot of the later techs/civics do. I won my last game as Scotland as a diplomatic victory by inventing the Seastead to allow everyone a place to live after my pollution had flooded the world :mischief:

Carbon Recapture projects give Diplomatic Favor, not Diplomatic Victory Points.

But you can get 7 DVP from wonders and 2 from tech, which leaves only 11 others to find. That's not so many, I think. My latest Diplomatic Victory was turn 215 and it would have been sooner if I hadn't accidentally voted for the wrong thing because I wasn't paying attention.

I checked my last three games (Immortal, because I'm lazy lately) and they entered the Medieval Era on turns 96, 94, and 96. So, let's say turn 95. The Congress votes every 30 turns. So, you'll get to vote on turns 95, 125, 155, 185, and 215. Even if you only average 1 point from each, which is usually quite easy to do, that's another 6 points added to the 9 that you got from wonders and tech, leaving you with just 5 more. If you win the +2 vote even once, then you only need to find 3 more points from aid requests, contests, or other votes.

Honestly, with the latest changes, Diplomatic Victory is probably faster and easier than Scientific or Cultural Victory.

Carbon Recapture projects give Diplomatic Favor, not Diplomatic Victory Points.

But you can get 7 DVP from wonders and 2 from tech, which leaves only 11 others to find. That's not so many, I think. My latest Diplomatic Victory was turn 215 and it would have been sooner if I hadn't accidentally voted for the wrong thing because I wasn't paying attention.

I checked my last three games (Immortal, because I'm lazy lately) and they entered the Medieval Era on turns 96, 94, and 96. So, let's say turn 95. The Congress votes every 30 turns. So, you'll get to vote on turns 95, 125, 155, 185, and 215. Even if you only average 1 point from each, which is usually quite easy to do, that's another 6 points added to the 9 that you got from wonders and tech, leaving you with just 5 more. If you win the +2 vote even once, then you only need to find 3 more points from aid requests, contests, or other votes.

Honestly, with the latest changes, Diplomatic Victory is probably faster and easier than Scientific or Cultural Victory.
I once accidentally won DV as persia out of all civs when I was going for CV.... similar thing happened as Korea when I was going for SV...

I once accidentally won DV as persia out of all civs when I was going for CV.... similar thing happened as Korea when I was going for SV...
I accidentally won DV as Maya while going for SV. I've taken to turning DV off, just like Domination and RV.

Top Bottom