1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Come July we’re going to effectively have three French leaders, so I’m not worried about getting Napoleon anytime soon, but I agree that he’s a too-obvious choice in a way that white-washes how problematic he is. Stalin is a good comparison. He himself is far from boring but his implementation has never been interesting, which is another issue.

Robespierre is synonymous with the Reign of Terror, so that’s probably out. Really, Richelieu or de Gaulle would probably be best, but again, it won’t come up.

If Florentine Italy is a civ (which is a big “if”) then I think it’s hard to imagine anyone but Lorenzo di’Medici as their leader. In fact, that’s the aspect that makes me most excited about them - I picture a very strong Financial Civ with a Patronage LUA around gold-buying Great People.

Left Field, Myomoto and Inawordyes like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

NFP indicates they're shifting into a GaaS sales model, which means a long time between development-intensive core games and a greater focus on selling add-ons to existing games. But how much faith did they have that they could sell a second Pass 5 years into Civ VI?

Inawordyes and AntSou like this.
  3. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

that’s like the paradox model right? I’d be mildly surprised if we got another pack.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm just a casual customer for Paradox, so I haven't paid much attention to what their games' sales model looks like.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I mean I can also imagine Cosimo di'Medici as well. Of course they would be pretty similar in terms of playstyle.

I'd be surprised too if we got more content after this with 50 civs and 6 add on game modes.
    I can see this as a gateway into more DLC passes though for future games like Civ VII or the spin offs.

TahamiTsunami and Navelgazer like this.
  6. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Definitely, but I'm guessing it's a test run for the next games, and if this is successful it's the model they'll use instead of expansions.

Anton's comment about the game essentially being 'system complete'/not needing new systems would indicate that to me. Pretty much any other GaaS model is definitely still introducing systems in it's tail. But maybe there's more of a market for primarily content DLCs than I'm realizing.

The other things is that, frankly, I'm guessing Firaxis/2k might still be a little conservative from a marketing perspective to do two Civ-based games simultaneously. By that I mean, if there is Beyond Earth 2 or the like coming in 2021, that they'd 'finish' 6 by then so all attention is focused there. They'll test the market for GaaS first, then maybe next expand to multiple Civ 'stream' games supported at once. I don't think they'd rip that bandaid off that quickly.

7. Haig

Haig Deity

DLC 3 and DLC 6 are shipping with a new map (not map script) so it could be a hint to what civs they include. Middle-east and N.America are very possible maps.

8. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Mathilda of Tuscany would be a cool leader as well.

A Colonization Map would be a fun one, as would a map which is Greece to Persia

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  9. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Mathilda would be interesting, but if they ever make Florence, it will be for the Renaissance flavor. Cosimo is definitely also a possibility, though I think Lorenzo’s more consolidated power & legendary patronage would make him the most likely choice.

CivLuvah likes this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Near East and Mediterranean Sea in one map please.
    Imagine Arabia, Greece, Rome, Phoenicia, Sumeria, Georgia, Scythia, Macedon, Persia, Ottomans, Egypt on that map.
    Not including the possibilities of Assyria/Babylon, Byzantines or Italy making it in.

I'd like Italy to Persia to include Rome at least.

Myomoto, Haig and Thenewwwguy like this.
  11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

That would make more sense as a scenario imo.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yes but a map of just North and South America is needed now that there are enough Civs from there to do a standard game.

13. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I would believe that if it were only one or two, but three geographic gaps corresponding to planned civs does seem like they were deliberating saving some features for expansions. Especially when you look at several of the other regions explicitly pointing toward Burma/Vietnam, the Timurids, and Bulgaria/Byzantium.

Some of the gaps might be meaningless, though. I don't think Iceland or Melanesia will have civs anytime soon.

I also have no idea how complete this map is, so there very well could be gaps that the creator missed.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

In a way, yes. The idea is basically you release the game and then support it long-term with purchases. Ubisoft are using it as a model for Rainbow Six: Siege (base game, a yearly pass with major content launches, and smaller purchases), as well as For Honor. So instead of iterating with a new game every year or two, a game is given a much longer life with content updates.

It's an interesting model.

15. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Paradox still does an expansion + DLC model. They are just smaller and more frequent. I.e. if Gathering Storm was 2 expansions at $20 each with diplomacy in one and power/climate change/disasters in the other, and any base game mechanic changes as free updates.

They also do a lot more purely cosmetic DLC that I don't see Civ going to. I e for a full Paradox would be closer to Civ releasing with say more Civs, but none of them have leader animations/music/unique building skins, you buy that in DLCs. Those are usually between expansions.

A closer approx of the 'Paradox model' that civ might go to imho might be something like 'Expansion/major DLC' with a major new system and two Civs every 4-6 months, and 1-2 Single Civ + wonders/city states/etc in between.

16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

This is why I'd rather have the model that Firaxis is having with the "Season Pass" expansion rather than Paradox's, because the latter's learning curve, and the need for one to get updated with new content and mechanics for the game, is quite tiresome and overwhelming.

Killer Rabbit likes this.
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Funnily, Paradox's model is changing for CK3.

18. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Oh really? Better check it out if I have the time. Where did you get this?

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Official sources ;) So basically they're moving to bigger expansions and flavour packs. If you look at the CK3 page on Steam you get an idea.

alancsilver and TahamiTsunami like this.
  20. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

so CK3 will be more like civ lmao