[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

I'm hoping to see Sana'a as an Economic city-state, providing Faith to trade routes based on Luxury resources (myrrh and frankincense were heavily used throughout the Near East in religious rituals, including Egyptian mummification and the Jewish Temple incense).

If any PNW tribe fails to make it in as a full Civ it would be neat if maybe we could get one as a city-state at least.
Either a militaristic one with the Haida and a War Canoe UU or a cultural Tlingit with a totem pole unique improvement as suzerain bonuses.

If any PNW tribe fails to make it in as a full Civ it would be neat if maybe we could get one as a city-state at least.
Either a militaristic one with the Haida and a War Canoe UU or a cultural Tlingit with a totem pole unique improvement as suzerain bonuses.

Haida Gwaii as a city-state would be cool, although it's the island rather than a city. But then, so's Rapa Nui, isn't it?

I could see Ghazna get some specific UU aimed at raiding and pillaging and such

Speaking of other city states I’d like to see, which aren’t necessarily military, I’d like to see Baikonur as a science city-state, Baku as industrial, Tirupati as religion, Dubai as economic and San Jose as culture

San Jose would be awkward because there's one in California and the American primary audience would wonder why it isn't in the US city list instead of realising it's intended to be the Costa Rican capital.

They did get away with Panama City in Civ V, but the Florida one isn't as well-known as the Californian San Jose - I only know it from a line in Guitar Man, and until recently I thought that for some reason Elvis was singing about the one actually in Panama.

Haida Gwaii as a city-state would be cool, although it's the island rather than a city. But then, so's Rapa Nui, isn't it?
They can also use Skidegate, or known in Haida as Hlg̱aagilda, a community on the island though it looks to have been founded after colonial contact.

Kealakekua could offer a military bonus against civs who have explored more of the map than you have.

If the we get another militaristic city-state with a UU in the next round of city-states, which cities are most likely to have that feature?

It has to be a place that is known for providing soldiers to other states, and those soldiers got "updated" with the times. I think the only two places that qualify would be Nepal and Switzerland. Since Geneva is already a CS and they haven't added two CS that represent the same culture so far, that'd leave Kathmandu with a Gurkha UU.

San Jose as culture

Honestly, if they are going to add another Latin American city, and especially as a Cultural CS, it has to be Havana. The importance of Cuba in the development on multiple musical genres in the 20th Century is gigantic!

It has to be a place that is known for providing soldiers to other states, and those soldiers got "updated" with the times. I think the only two places that qualify would be Nepal and Switzerland. Since Geneva is already a CS and they haven't added two CS that represent the same culture so far, that'd leave Kathmandu with a Gurkha UU.

Honestly, if they are going to add another Latin American city, and especially as a Cultural CS, it has to be Havana. The importance of Cuba in the development on multiple musical genres in the 20th Century is gigantic!

It's hard to imagine Kathmandu as a militaristic city-state. I was thinking Genoa and her famous crossbowmen.

The Caribbean is criminally underrepresented. I'd really love to see Cuba, Haiti, or Bahamian Pirate Republic as full fledged civs eventually but in the mean time I'll gladly take city states!​

I agree, but Aragon is also less distinct from Spain as a unit. The only way I can see Aragon being made its own civ is if Castille is also made its own civ, with no unified Spain. I don't think that would be a popular choice. I think Aragon's best bet is an Aragonese leader for Spain.
Yeah, I can't see it happening either, it was just a possible idea. I'm more hopeful of a Tuscan/Florentine civ, although I don't think it will happen either.:(

I think Ireland would have been a better choice thematically for Rise & Fall than Scotland - Ireland literally entered a Golden Age as Rome collapsed. There was also the 14th century Gaelic Resurgence during the Black Death - granted that had a lot to do with the Normans (& Norse) being disproportionately affected by plague & famine due to their denser settlements. Regardless, earning points towards a golden age when your opponents (or neighbours) are down - that has great potential as a gameplay mechanic.

Looking at Scotland's golf courses - my concern is that any take on Ireland would be similarly lackluster. Even ceilí halls would be too lazy - there's a lot more to medieval Ireland than folk music. Since Irish kingship was essentially a Client State system - but the Law was entirely in the hands of a Caste of Legal Scholars. I think some trait, building or district that deals with loyalty would be a good idea.

Personally, I'd rather not have Ireland unless it was done right.

Last edited:
Gran Colombia has really surprised me, didn't expect them at all. Ethiopia is obviously confirmed. Portugal is damn certain. I'm also almost sure we'll get Byzantium. Not so sure about Babylon (hey it even cannot use ziggurat), would enjoy Assyria instead of them. And regarding last two, I'm almost certain we'll get Vietnam due to fanservice and how often it it is mentioned. So the real mystery for me is only one civ. I pray to God (not even Allah) that this civ is from Islamic Maghreb, come on Firaxis, only 3 Muslim civilizations out of 50, and this was such incredible center of civilizations. Alas, my bleak heart weeps for we may get some random North American tribe instead, to heal American collective guilt once again.

At least if that happens Maghreb will be not alone in "gigantic civilization area which almost got no recognition from series". Italy will be sitting and weeping next to it, holding tightly da Vinci, Dante Alighieri, Ferrari, Marconi, Volta, Michelangelo, and lunatic revenge notebook containing written down nicknames of all those who dismiss it due to being "covered" by Rome.

I think Ireland would have been a better choice thematically for Rise & Fall than Scotland - Ireland literally entered a Golden Age as Rome collapsed. There was also the 14th century Gaelic Resurgence during the Black Death - granted that had a lot to do with the Normans (& Norse) being disproportionately affected by plague & famine due to their denser settlements. Regardless, earning points towards a golden age when your opponents (or neighbours) are down - that has great potential as a gameplay mechanic.

Looking at Scotland's golf courses - my concern is that any take on Ireland would be similarly lackluster. Even ceilí halls would be too lazy - there's a lot more to medieval Ireland than folk music. Since Irish kingship was essentially a Client State system - but the Law was entirely in the hands of a Caste of Legal Scholars. I think some trait, building or district that deals with loyalty would be a good idea.

Personally, I'd rather not have Ireland unless it was done right.

I am honestly slightly irritated than Scotland got "golf course" UI and Canada got "hockey rink" UI. So many dignified possibilities, but let's go with the lowest memes; after all those Scots and Canadians are such funny strangers!
I mean, it's not malevolent, but if America got Saloon, Aztec got Human Sacrifice Pyramid, India got Joga Center (Jesus Christ it's such terrible idea I have impressed myself!!), Japan got Anime Studio, Korea got K-Pop Studio, England got Tea Shop, Germany got Oktoberfest Pub and Russia (or Poland lol) got Vodka Factory - then I'd be really goddamn concerned.

Last edited:
^^ The fireaxis team probably has a lot of people of Scottish, Irish and other Western European descent. I wonder if any of the diaspora embrace those memes. They might not see the harm if they see themselves being in on the joke.

Since Ireland preserved a largely intact, complex, pre-Christian Indo-European legal system - I would hope that would be the basis for a civ - but I'm doubtful.

As for other civs - a Maghreb Civ would be a great addition. Only 3 Islamic era civs - I didn't realise that. Personally, I'd love to see the Timurid Empire personally. We have Classical Persia so it'd be nice to another time period represented.

Gran Colombia already seems to be fan service - I didn't think they'd ever do such a historically short lived Civ. With Portugal surely coming, I'm wondering if we can expect another African civ - given their extensive colonisation there? Then again, they already have that historical relationship with the Kongo so probably not.

Alas, my bleak heart weeps for we may get some random North American tribe instead, to heal American collective guilt once again.
No guilt here. I just find Native American history interesting. That was my favorite part about American History.
They could always go with the Iroquois who definitely are not random though. Neither are the Navajo or Cherokee (but I don't know how likely the Cherokee will be).

At least if that happens Maghreb will be not alone in "gigantic civilization area which almost got no recognition from series". Italy will be sitting and weeping next to it, holding tightly da Vinci, Dante Alighieri, Ferrari, Marconi, Volta, Michelangelo, and lunatic revenge notebook containing written down nicknames of all those who dismiss it due to being "covered" by Rome.
I can agree with you there I want Italy.
If we do happen to see an season 2 pass I can easily see these Civs possibly getting in, though it's a big if:
Austria
Morocco
Babylon/Assyria (whichever didn't get in the first)
Iroquois
Italy (If not in this one)
Berber/Numidia (maybe instead of Morocco or with it)
Siam/Burma
Benin/Dahomey

Japan got Anime Studio

Check out the Civ 6 Steam workshop. There are seemingly hundreds of Anime-themed civs.

. I pray to God (not even Allah) that this civ is from Islamic Maghreb, come on Firaxis, only 3 Muslim civilizations out of 50, and this was such incredible center of civilizations.

Firaxis does read these boards. Start a discussion in the Idea & Suggestion area about the Maghreb. The easier information is available the more it will spread.

Ethiopia is 100% sure. I'd say that Portugal and Byzantines both have more than 95% chance of being included. Between Babylon and Assyria, I believe that Babylon has a better chance because it has been in the game since Civ1. I'd also say that a native civilization of NA is very likely, we had 2 of them in Civ5, there is no reason to go back to just 1 in Civ6. So the last slot that is debatable, Vietnam is in fact much in demand by fans, but I hardly see them not giving any Italian representation, given the absence of important Italian city-states, such as Venice, Florence, Genoa...
Some people say that we can have a thematic DLC with Kublai Khan and Vietnam, but let's not forget that Kublai Khan can also come with a theme with Venice :p

Although I am quite happy with the addition of Caguana as a city-state that represents the Taino, I agree that Havana should be a city-state.

Gran Colombia already seems to be fan service - I didn't think they'd ever do such a historically short lived Civ.

The inclusion of Gran Colombia also surprised me, but I think Gran Colombia was added for three reasons: 1) Simon Bolivar has a great personality; 2) Some people were finding unfair having 3 former British colonies and none Hispanic, and Gran Colombia was the most requested Hispanic modern nation to correct this gap; 3) From a marketing point of view, Gran Colombia can please the Hispanic Latin market as a whole more than Argentina or Mexico, due to a nationalistic and heroic feeling that Simon Bolivar represents.

Last edited:
Although I am quite happy with the addition of Caguana as a city-state that represents the Taino, I agree that Havana should be a city-state.
Unfortunately they would have to take it off of Spain's city list if that was the case and they already took off Granada. I'm not sure if they wanted to keep taking colonial cities off their list.

Gran Colombia is also a great blob Civilization because unlike "the celts", "the polynesian" or "the native americans" it actually existed under that name
Considering all the countries today, that make up Gran Colombia, were all united at one time politically I don't see the reason to call it a blob Civ.

Why are folks so bullish on Portugal? Is this based on anything from Firaxis, or simply their inclusion in prior games?

Why are folks so bullish on Portugal? Is this based on anything from Firaxis, or simply their inclusion in prior games?

Of the outstanding civs that have been in the past in multple editions (and don't have some kind of replacement civ) we have Babylon (5 times) ,Byzantium (4 times), Portugal (3 times), you would think they would all be in by the end, but nothing is given at the moment

Top Bottom