1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I never noticed that Havana was on the list of Spanish cities, I never built enough cities until I reached it :lol:. Seeing here now, Santo Domingo is not on the list of Spanish cities, which is quite strange, since it is the oldest Spanish settlement in the Americas. They could solve this by replacing Havana with Santo Domingo and giving us Havana as a city-state :p

2. Mudokon Pop

Mudokon Pop Chieftain

I hope I didn't imply fan service is a bad thing - it's important to support your fanbase. I simply meant that comment in response to speculation about Vietnam - I don't know how many of these civs will be dedicated to fan service over whatever the devs want to do.

As for the brevity of the Gran Colombia, I forgot Fireaxis are heavily aiming for character/personality in their choices. And it seems the impact of Bolivar extends well beyond the end of his visionary country.

Xandinho and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Their past appearances since Civ 3 does help base our assumptions. To me it would be weird if they were left out of the game when Kongo and Brazil are in the game,
    along with the other Age of Discovery nations: England, France, Spain and the Dutch are in the game as well. It would be nice if they included the nation that started it.

Were the Byzantines in Civ 2?

Thormodr and Hoppip22 like this.
  4. Hoppip22

Hoppip22 Chieftain

Portugal is the last of the overseas colonial empires to not be included in Civ VI so far, (unless you count bELgiUm) so it seems odd to not include them imo.

Thormodr likes this.
  5. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Babylon has never had Ziggurats in past Civ games. They inherited them but it's not a characteristic - let alone a make-or-break - feature of Babylon.

America has had Shopping Malls before (Civ IV, I think) and Japan has an Electronics Factory. Aztecs had a UA themed around human sacrifice in Civ V. Brazil has carnivals. Gran Colombia has Haciendas. There's a lot of over-caricaturing going on. Scotland and Canada aren't alone, though these are among the more embarrassing choices.

679x, Kimiimaro, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

They still do. What do you think happens to the Builders you rush districts with? ;)

Xefjord, bbbt and Thormodr like this.
  7. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

I don't mind the Golf Courses or Hockey Rinks on their face - they're a caricature of their cultures, but they look nice and I'm super in favor of any UI, especially ones that sell the flavor of their respective civs, which those do, for better or worse.

What I don't like is how late they come, how hard they are to place, and how few of them you can build.

Kmart_Elvis, 679x, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  8. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

I kinda want Babylon as a civ (however their CS bonus is just so good I'd be sad to see it go...) otherwise Cyrus' ability name makes no sense...
    Also, if Simon Bolivar made it off the GG list then I'd love to see Queen Boudicca return as a leader (but with Scotland already in... her capital cannot be Edinburgh as in BNW anymore)

9. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Zaarin incoming.

*Types "Zaarin boudicca" in google.*

First result:
    "I have a problem with kilt-wearing, caber-tossing, woad-tattooed, dreadlocked, ceilidh-hosting, tree-hugging, Welsh-speaking neo-pagan/New Age hippie Boudicca".
    -
    Zaarin
    ---

I may have removed the parts of his post that were no fun.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. Zaarin

I was going to respond but @AntSou beat me to it. :p Suffice to say that after doing it twice, I don't trust Firaxis not to make her an absurd stereotype, not to mention that the Iceni are not a compelling civ compared to the Gauls or Medieval Irish. (Also, why would her capital be in Edinburgh? The Iceni lived in modern day Norfolk/Suffolk, and her capital was Venta Icenorum, modern day Caistor St. Edmund. Civ5's Celt city list was just one of many, many problems with the Celtic civilization.)

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, Casworon and 6 others like this.
  11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Or China whenever you build a Great Wall segment. :shifty:

I agree. At first I was honestly confused by the Golf course, but because of that I would have never known that modern day golf was invented in Scotland and they have the biggest percentage of land dedicated to golf courses out of all the countries in in the world (relative to their size).
    As for Canada, I was really expecting a hockey rink, in the first place, to be honest. Though I thought it would come later at Professional sports as a Stadium replacement. So it being earlier than I thought is a plus.

I mean Cyrus name still makes sense because they are in the game. Honeslty between Assyria and Babylon I'm not sure but if Babylon does get in I'm sure Nineveh would be the replacement and it could keep the same bonus.

Zaarin and Navelgazer like this.
  12. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Bogota was on Spain’s city list initially too, I think.
    they haven’t been afraid to do cities which are also cities elsewhere in the past. Alternatively, they could use Tamarindo or Arenal, which could function as cultural costa rica.

if the Iceni were added it would be just for Boudicca, like how Colombia was added for Bolivar, or (to a lesser extent) the Zulu for Shaka

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
  13. Mudokon Pop

Mudokon Pop Chieftain

Already mentioned, but since historical inaccuracies bother me to no end, Boudicca was not from Scotland - and Edinburgh did not exist for several centuries after her death. I don't know if the Iceni name for their capital is recorded - but Venta Icenorum is what the Romans called Boudicca's captial.

If Fireaxis still want to do a Celtic Queen - the Queen Medb/Maeve of Ireland [mythological with a possible historical basis but the same can be said for Gilgamesh, Dido & Kupe] is worth considering.

Another is Graine Uí Maille (Grace O'Malley in English records) is an Irish Chieftain who surpasses Boudicca in my opinion. She was a Chieftain, a merchant, a 'pirate' who stole tax collected by the Tudors claiming it for Irish nobility instead, divorced her husband and convinced his army to join her army - and besiege his castle. She used her merchant fleet to supply weapons to her allies against the Tudors.
    Tired of dealing with Tudor governors - she sailed to London, despite being wanted and demanded an audience with the Queen. English records say that Grainne pulled a dagger out of her bosom when meeting Queen Elizabeth I - which she insisted was for her own protection!
    She ultimately made peace with the Tudors, securing Connacht for the Irish. The treaty later failed and war resumed.

She's a fascinating figure - and one of the last sovereign Gaelic nobles who backed down from no one.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

I know Granada was. I don't think Bogota was.

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Arenal is mostly associated with the volcano, which makes most sense as either a Natural Wonder or - like Krakatoa - just an available name for a volcano (not all site names are localised to civs). Does Costa Rica particularly demand representation as a cultural powerhouse? Since things like Naturalists use faith and Costa Rica is notable for touristed national parks, it could conceivably be faith-related if represented at all.

My enduring memory of San Jose is of it having a daily Beatles Hour on radio at least as late as the early 2000s, still having a footwear chain called Penny Lane a decade later, and a tour guide discussing his favourite Beatle with my mother. It seems much more a recipient than a source of cultural trends.

16. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

As long as I get my blue-face-painted Pictish warriors and druidic lore (something like LotR elves) I'm satisfied whatever they decide to call her capital. :p (I still remember the achievement for the city with the longest name--I only known it ends in gogogogh or something like that)

I mean in fantasy games, Dwarves are always Scottish (at least their accents), Orcs (barbarians) are probably Scythian/Mongolian, we need our Wood elves! (Cairns as a unique improvement, etc.)

But Cyrus doesn't get the combat bonus when declaring against CSs.... (which Babylon currently is). Ironic isn't it that "fall of Babylon" doesn't work on, well, Babylon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    Hoppip22 likes this.
  17. Mudokon Pop

Mudokon Pop Chieftain

You and me have very different ideas on how to approach a Celtic civs!:D Despite being Irish, the Gauls would be my first choice for the Celts.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Zaarin

I'd replace Babylon with Ebla or Mari, personally.

Except that the Zulu fill a space in South Africa and Gran Colombia stands in for about four South American nations. Iceni would just be indulging Boudicca, whose historical significance is chiefly in leading a revolt that ended disastrously for her and her people.

Cartimandua. If we're going to have a Briton civ, let her lead it instead of the ill-starred Boudicca.

Woad tattoos are a myth; woad is highly caustic and will burn your skin, not dye it. Druids were a sophisticated, educated priestly caste, not half-naked savages frolicking about the woods hugging trees. I only want the Celts to return as a civ if Firaxis bases them on history, not stereotypes and myths.

AntSou and Navelgazer like this.
  19. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Grace O'Malley would be a very interesting leader (a friend of mine literally wrote the book on Pirate Women, and O'Malley is one of my favorite chapters there) but IF Ireland were to get in, it probably wouldn't have a Piracy flavor to it. (Maybe, though? Coming in the same pack as the naval-centered Portugal could mean that they theme them somewhat together à la Khmer and Indonesia or Persia and Macedon, but again, probably not.) Cartimandua was Celtic, but from modern-day England (like Boudicca, whom I agree is a bad choice for all the reasons Zaarin mentions) which isn't how I'd predict them doing this either. Queen Medb is more legendary than Gilgamesh, Dido or Kupe are, not so much a part of a mythological past as an eternal deity whom kings would ceremonially "marry" to obtain their divine right.

Brian Boru is IMO the best leader idea I've yet heard for Ireland, especially since Medieval era is probably the most fruitful for an Irish civ. Gormflaith ingen Murchada is a fascinating figure from what little we know of her (most of which was propaganda written significantly after her lifetime) but she's certainly a Big Personality of the Lady MacBeth type, and was Queen Consort to two successive High Kings (including Brian Boru, whose death the propaganda claims she caused) as well as a King of Dublin. Cacht ingen Ragnaill was Queen of Ireland though her husband was not styled as High King, which is a unique situation in the Irish Monarchy but we also don't really know anything about her or why she had a superior title to her husband.

So if there was to be an Irish civ led by a woman (and I'm all in favor of representation of women leaders) I think Gormflaith would be the most interesting and fitting choice. Strong period for the civ, interesting life, big personality, and flavorful in a way that "feels" like Ireland.

Inawordyes and Zaarin like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Isn't declaring a direct war against a city-state like a surprise war though? To me the name is flavorful and doesn't have to be taken literal. It's just a reference to when he took Babylon easily and wasn't seen as a conqueror by the Babylonians, but more of a liberator from their current ruler.

Thanks. I don't know as much about Near East cities as you, so Nineveh was the only one I could think of (because of Ashurbanipal's library) since I don't expect both to get in the game.

Thenewwwguy and Zaarin like this.