[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

New content is exciting! It will definitely get me back into civ6. I also really like Firaxis gave us a road map of what to expect.

I also like that they are not adding any more mechanics, I'd rather they spent their time polishing existing ones.

Also, I hope they bring this up in the season, but I'd really want to see graphical improvements in many areas, they did a lot in GS to be able to add flooding and canals, but I'd love to see an improvement in terrain graphics, specially forests and jungles, they are very bland and so much more could be done with them, different types and density/age/biodiversity could be introduced, I hope that now that forest fires are a thing they could improve them.

I was also hoping for improved city house graphics so that radiate from the city center as opposed to little clusters bordering each district...but I guess the patchy cities will still be a thing.

I'd be extremely happy with this (which means it's probably going to be at least partially wrong, sadly!)

Theodora from Civ 5 was my avatar on here for ages; she was such a fun leader and I would actually really love to see her again. I have a sneaking suspicion they will go with Justinian because he's been name-dropped several times on the marketing Twitter account, especially recently. But I'd love to be wrong.
Look, if they do Justinian, you could have Theodora as an adviser, meaning governor.

Oh, don't quote me on that. That's just what I gathered from watching the announcement and two other videos: no mechanics for the normal game, but only for the new game modes.
To make it clear it seems the game modes can be turned off an on as part of the normal game.

Also I keep on seeing people wanting Halie Selassie or Menelik II for Ethiopia.
I am hoping for an Ethiopia more based around the Axum era with Ezana as it's leader, personally. Also I'm surprised the Shotelai has never showed up as one of their UUs before in the franchise. Here's to hoping.

Another filler on twitter. So no first look today. But dont despair. Still a high chance tomorrow or thursday

5- I really feel on my bones that we're getting Vietnam this time. EDIT: I hope that, unlike many people here have been stanning, they don't do a dual "Trung Sisters" leader. Instead they should have Trung Trac as the leader and maybe Trung Nhi as an unique advisor or something...

If they do go this route, this is what I would suggest, but Trung Sisters are over-rated in general imo. There is a ton of absolutely amazing and interesting leaders they can pull from if they don't constrain themselves to the idea that the leader has to be a woman. However I will say, I will take Trung Sisters anyday over a Ho Chi Minh leader. That is pretty unlikely though.

Edit: (Examples include Tran Thanh Tong, who is one of the most universally loved Kings that helped repel the Mongolic Yuan Dynasty as well as help push Vietnam into a golden age. As well as our classic King Arthur like figure Le Loi, who got a badass sword from a turtle in a lake.)

Gathering Storm and Rise and Fall both had 3 female leaders and 4 new civilizations (if we count Phoenicia as a new Civ). Both had 1 Civ from Africa and 2 Civs from Americas so I maybe we can expect the same so no more Civs from these continents. I dont think this is totally certain though. The Maya and Ethiopia have female ruler choices so I expect Ethiopia to have female leader this time. Zewditu could be their choice. They also dont seem to like picking same rulers that we had in Civ V so picking Theodora and Haile Selassie doesnt seem to likely, because these Civs have other good choices. Vietnam seems pretty likely because they also have female leader options and they would also be new Civ. IMO Portugal is given.

So we cant expect 3 female leaders and probably at least 3 new Civs.

Ethiopia (female leader)
Maya (female leader)
Gran Colombia (new Civ)

Vietnam (female leader, new Civ)
Portugal
Byzantium
Babylonia/Assyria/Hittites
+ Kublai Khan as the new leader for Mongolia

That would leave one mystery Civ probably from Europe or Asia. Personally I would rather get new African Civ like Ghana, but we will see. The are some interesting new Civ options from Europe like Dacia or Goths. I dont think we will see Italy.

If we are getting a new civ out of Europe or Asia (Beyond Vietnam and Portugal) I would like to see either Dacia, Ireland, Burma, or the Philippines. I concede that Siam is unlikely now that way have the Khmer (Siam would have been my second choice) but I like all of those other options fairly equally. I like Irish culture, I grew up in a Romanian neighborhood, and Southeast Asia will still feel too barren even with Vietnam, Khmer, and Indonesia and I think they could fit one more civ to make the region perfect.

Seems like everyone is guessing Kublai as the alt leader, but I would love a Sassanid era Persia alternative. Could make for a great combo with Byzantines for the 5th pack.
It's because that pack apparently requires R&F, so it would assume the leader has to come from one of those Civs.

It's because that pack apparently requires R&F, so it would assume the leader has to come from one of those Civs.

I’m sure I’m lacking an understanding of the technical relationship here, but does that necessarily have to mean it’s an alt leader for a civ from that expansion? Couldn’t it be a different component from the expansion?

I keep seeing Kublai mentioned as a leader for both China and Mongolia. Wouldn't people in China be annoyed to see Kublai as a leader for China as the Mongols were an invading dynasty?

It would be like having Philip II as an alternative leader for England and Netherlands!

This has been a long held belief, but I honestly feel like it could be something wider than that. For example, we could have an alternate leader for a base civ that just has R&F mechanics as a part of their leader ability. Or the new Civ coming could use R&F mechanics in their civ or leader abilities, and the alternate leader could be totally base game. Just they are paired together so R&F is *technically* required. They may BOTH use R&F Mechanics but have nothing to do with R&F civs. So I wouldn't hold so closely the idea that it MUST be a R&F Civ. Although I am fond of the idea of Kublai Khan and Vietnam

Too poorly understood. No knowledge of their language, little knowledge of their leaders...Plus the Balkans are getting rather crowded.

I’m sure I’m lacking an understanding of the technical relationship here, but does that necessarily have to mean it’s an alt leader for a civ from that expansion? Couldn’t it be a different component from the expansion?
GS adds all the features from R&F; for it to require R&F specifically it has to be related to one of the civs R&F added.

I keep seeing Kublai mentioned as a leader for both China and Mongolia. Wouldn't people in China be annoyed to see Kublai as a leader for China as the Mongols were an invading dynasty?
The Yuan are generally accepted by Chinese historians as a Chinese dynasty, as are the Manchu Qing. They ruled by the Mandate of Heaven.

This has been a long held belief, but I honestly feel like it could be something wider than that. For example, we could have an alternate leader for a base civ that just has R&F mechanics as a part of their leader ability. Or the new Civ coming could use R&F mechanics in their civ or leader abilities, and the alternate leader could be totally base game.
If the first were the case, they'd have a separate vanilla and R&F abilities; if it were the latter, it would require R&F or GS.

The components of that expansion are available with GS, other than Civs/Leaders, City-States and Wonders.

I sometimes wonder whether I enjoy following the press releases for new material more than I actually enjoy the material itself. So a year of ongoing releases works pretty well for me ;-)

This is not as strange a comment as it might seem on the surface. I am the same way. I find myself most active on this forum and other Civ sites when there are releases or rumors of them. Hype is very much important to marketing a game, especially in this day and age.

To illustrate two great examples of this:
1. Overwatch
2. Smash Bros

With OW, they have built outside character lore that, at the end of the day, has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself, yet it provides so much passion for the game. The animated shorts they release aren't even always that deep for character development, but they are well made, visually engaging and supplemented with timely releases and social media. The animated shorts also provide entertainment for a non-OW gamer to access, which in turn may or may not be more likely to draw them in versus gameplay footage.

With Smash Bros, the reaction videos alone have insane amounts of views and there is a culture built around that, obviously sprouting from the organic rise of reaction videos but centered on the gamer community. To mention nothing of the many YouTubers who gained their large followings based on speculation alone and rumor-hints from Reddit-type sites.

With Civ it is no different. The community aspect, especially today, is as important as ever. So it is a positive thing that we see the Firaxis team experiment with releasing civs in installments, because it can only generate more excitement, at least on paper. (Strictly from a business standpoint, there are many potential benefits to it as well if they play their cards right, but that depends on their model).

This has been a long held belief, but I honestly feel like it could be something wider than that. For example, we could have an alternate leader for a base civ that just has R&F mechanics as a part of their leader ability. Or the new Civ coming could use R&F mechanics in their civ or leader abilities, and the alternate leader could be totally base game. Just they are paired together so R&F is *technically* required. They may BOTH use R&F Mechanics but have nothing to do with R&F civs. So I wouldn't hold so closely the idea that it MUST be a R&F Civ. Although I am fond of the idea of Kublai Khan and Vietnam
As mentioned above, the 5th pack states that only R&F is needed to play. You don't need GS for this pack. GS has the same components of R&F, but the Civs are different. If you only buy GS you still get the loyalty system, dark/golden ages and governors but no Korea, Zulu, Scotland and no Mongolia. Which means it is highly likely that the new leader will require one of these Civs. Kublai Khan just seems the most likely alt leader. I could also see William of Orange too paired with Portugal if they went that route but I'd also like Vietnam too so that's why I'm sticking with that. I like Wilhelmina as a leader anyway.

Ah, I wasn’t aware that GS did that.

Too poorly understood. No knowledge of their language, little knowledge of their leaders...Plus the Balkans are getting rather crowded.

GS adds all the features from R&F; for it to require R&F specifically it has to be related to one of the civs R&F added.

The Yuan are generally accepted by Chinese historians as a Chinese dynasty, as are the Manchu Qing. They ruled by the Mandate of Heaven.

If the first were the case, they'd have a separate vanilla and R&F abilities; if it were the latter, it would require R&F or GS.

Unless the Manchu were a different civ, a concept which Chinese discourse rejects. The Chinese would only theoretically approve of a Qing ruler of China.

Top Bottom