• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

The only problem is both Tibetan Empire and the modern Tibet writes the same in English (but interestingly not in Chinese, 吐蕃 vs. 西藏).

And as I said before, I think a direct ban is very unlikely; but FXS will more likely to play it safely, and Bhutan is a safer option (although Bhutan and Tibet are actually not that similar in culture, which also brings some interesting design questions).
CK2 has a Tibetan Empire, and it has a large fanbase in China.

The only problem is both Tibetan Empire and the modern Tibet writes the same in English (but interestingly not in Chinese, 吐蕃 vs. 西藏).

And as I said before, I think a direct ban is very unlikely; but FXS will more likely to play it safely, and Bhutan is a safer option (although Bhutan and Tibet are actually not that similar in culture, which also brings some interesting design questions).
Not the same culture, certainly. There are striking similarities though, and I'm sure if you showed photographs of Bhutan and its people to many Westerners, they would likely think it's Tibet (though that is because of limited knowledge about Bhutan in the West).

Also, you would be surprised how quickly the CCP would ban something.

CK2 has a Tibetan Empire, and it has a large fanbase in China.
But in CK2, Tibet can't advance to the modern era, can it?

Also, you would be surprised how quickly the CCP would ban something.

I'm Chinese and I certainly know what a "ban" really means.

I have said this many times before and I will say it again: the usual case is you cannot streaming or uploading videos about a said game onto Chinese Internet, which will have no influence in selling the game whatsoever. Yes, a ban is not impossible - but extremely rare; and the community of the game can continue to strive even after the ban (cf. HoI).

Can we please just back to topic.

Last edited:
I think many people are assuming the Trung Sisters will lead Vietnam, so that'll be our second female leader... to briefly defend Kievan Rus', Olga of Kiev would be a really awesome addition and is arguably the best person that could represent the civilization, seeing the direction the developers are going.

If it's true that we're looking at half new, half old civilizations, wouldn't your calculation indicate we still need one more new one for the NFP? If we have 4 old and only 3 new now, and that covers all the ones we know of, adding Portugal would leave us with a 5-3 split favoring the old.
Well if you go by the first round of DLC there were 5 returning (Aztec, Poland, Persia, Khmer, Indonesia) and 3 new (Australia, Macedon, Nubia).

IMHO the current de-blobbing of "Britain" or "United Kingdom" into England & Scotland & Welsh-Cardiff & Ireland-Armagh is adequate. Although the specific design of Scotland is absolutely another weird blob.
I'm not quite sure how Scotland is considered a blob?
Unless you mean it is represented by being the independent kingdom in the Middle Ages and union with England in the British Empire, I agree.

Unless you mean it is represented by being the independent kingdom in the Middle Ages and union with England in the British Empire, I agree.

Yeah, that's what I tried to say. Having "Highlanders" and "Scottish Enlightenment" (not to say the Golf Course) at the same time seems like a blob to me.

I'm Chinese and I certainly know what a "ban" really means.

I have said this many times before and I will say it again: the usual case is you cannot streaming or uploading videos about a said game onto Chinese Internet, which will have no influence in selling the game whatsoever. Yes, a ban is not impossible - but extremely rare; and the community of the game can continue to strive even after the ban (cf. HoI).

Can we please just back to topic.
Appreciate you explaining that.

One thing I would like to add is that Sukritact made a really good (in both theme and design) modded Tibetan civ, as well as interesting leaders such as Trisong Detsen and the 5th Dalai Lama. If we cannot have Tibet in the game we can still have these nice compensations; I highly recommend them.

One thing I would like to add is that Sukritact made a really good (in both theme and design) modded Tibetan civ, as well as interesting leaders such as Trisong Detsen and the 5th Dalai Lama. If we cannot have Tibet in the game we can still have these nice compensations; I highly recommend them.
I do wish Songtsen Gampo could be an addition.

What about a Bhutanese civ, though? I think they would make a really good choice for a civ. I think potentially they could have a unique ability where certain things for them do not produce CO2, as it does for other civs, or something like that.

I do wish Songtsen Gampo could be an addition.

Interestingly, many modern scholars suspect that, although he introduced Buddhism into Tibet, Songtsen Gampo himself wasn't really a Buddhist (his way of governing and diplomacy was highly militaristic). A similar argument can be made for Wu Zetian, who mostly utilize Buddhism to legitimize herself instead of devoted to it. Many steppe regimes had done similar things (cf. Khazars, and Mongols) although they gradually became believers.

This can be an interesting way to take (currently we have Kongo and India who can pull off a similar playstyle) if the devs decided to do a better Religion system the next time.

What about a Bhutanese civ, though? I think they would make a really good choice for a civ. I think potentially they could have a unique ability where certain things for them do not produce CO2, as it does for other civs, or something like that.

Personally I would image a Bhutanese civ with a UI/UD based on Dzong (therefore kind of become a compensation of a Tibetan civ). On the other hand, I can also image the devs choose Nepal as a full civ and make Bhutan a City-State instead.

Last edited:
I just had a crazy idea that would definitely make the Iroquois unique in game.

Any alliance that you have with another civ would give them a copy of all your duplicate luxury resources. In return you acquire a copy of all their strategic resources( or a certain number in your stockpile per turn if you have GS).
Bonus resources also grant amenities to the Iroquois.

I just had a crazy idea that would definitely make the Iroquois unique in game.

Any alliance that you have with another civ would give them a copy of all your duplicate luxury resources. In return you acquire a copy of all their strategic resources( or a certain number in your stockpile per turn if you have GS).
Bonus resources also grant amenities to the Iroquois.
Maybe something about City-States thrown into the mix, like you get Combat Strength from the City-States you are Suzerain of.

I just had a crazy idea that would definitely make the Iroquois unique in game. Any alliance that you have with another civ would give them a copy of all your duplicate luxury resources. In return you acquire a copy of all their strategic resources( or a certain number in your stockpile per turn if you have GS). Bonus resources also grant amenities to the Iroquois.

Maybe also a Longhouse UI/UB (I know longhouse isn't strictly unique to them, but their longhouse is probably one of the most famous, besides the good old Viking longhouse).

Personally I would image a Bhutanese civ with a UI/UD based on Dzong (therefore kind of become a compensation of a Tibetan civ). On the other hand, I can also image the devs choose Nepal as a full civ and make Bhutan a City-State instead.

Nothing against a Nepali civ, but I would rather Bhutan, considering their strengths in today's world.

I do like the idea of a Bhutanese civ, maybe cities require less ammenities and happy or ecstatic cities get cheaper faith purchases
Yes, because happiness is their GDP ~ Or should I say GDH! :D

Maybe also a Longhouse UI/UB (I know longhouse isn't strictly unique to them, but their longhouse is probably one of the most famous, besides the good old Viking longhouse).
Definitely considering Haudenosaunee means "People of the Longhouse."

I would imagine it to be a granary replacement which provides the standard food, extra production, and definitely more housing than the normal granary.

Nothing against a Nepali civ, but I would rather Bhutan, considering their strengths in today's world.

I can accept both Nepal and Bhutan, they all have their own uniqueness and worth of representing. However I feel like Nepal and Bhutan will fall into the Songhai-Mali or Siam-Khmer situation - only one of them will present in the game due to geographical proximity.

Edit: In terms of Bhutan's selling point/uniqueness, I wouldn't necessarily say "happiness of the people" for them is a good idea, especially considering Bhutan has an ongoing ethnic cleansing project/problem.

I would imagine it to be a granary replacement which provides the standard food, extra production, and definitely more housing than the normal granary.

What about a Unique City Center...:mischief:

I can accept both Nepal and Bhutan, they all have their own uniqueness and worth of representing. However I feel like Nepal and Bhutan will fall into the Songhai-Mali or Siam-Khmer situation - only one of them will present in the game due to geographical proximity.
I do agree. Ideally it would be nice if everyone could get representation, but for the time being, we only get select cultures represented in some way. That being said, Civ VI is doing really well in comparison to all the past Civilization games, and other games in general, with a very decent list of civilizations and cultures in the game. Even so, having a long list of playable civs, as nice as that is, isn't nearly the most important element of this game for it to be a well designed game that people enjoy playing. I'd much rather the focus be on things like diplomacy, though that is an issue for other threads...I just hope that the devs take that seriously, but it appears that they really are more interested in adding more and more civs instead. At least this means that more cultures are getting represented, which is a good thing in its own right.

Moderator Action: Please get back to the thread topic. Let us leave the modern politics out of our discussion. If you wish to discuss it, please take the discussion to the Off Topic section of the forum.

Top Bottom