• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

I think we get two more civs, unless I'm mistaken, so here's a guess at that...

If European: Portugal, or Austria.
If American: Iroquois/Haudenosaunee, or Navajo.
If Asian: Vietnam, or Bhutan.
If African: Swahili, or Morocco.
If Oceania: Noongar, or Papuan (less likely).

My best guess is that it'll be a combination of two of the following: Portugal, Iroquois/Haudenosaunee, Vietnam.

What about a Unique City Center...:mischief:
A unique city center would be interesting but I'm not so sure the longhouse should be it. Maybe in the future games Rome could get a Forum or Italy a Piazza.
Though I do guess the Iroquois palace should look similar to a longhouse anyway.

If European: Portugal, or Austria.
If American: Iroquois/Haudenosaunee, or Navajo.
If Asian: Vietnam, or Bhutan.
If African: Swahili, or Morocco.
If Oceania: Noongar, or Papuan (less likely).

My best guess is that it'll be a combination of two of the following: Portugal, Iroquois/Haudenosaunee, Vietnam.
If the info leak is real, which I'm pretty sure it is, we are definitely getting Vietnam in January. It's pretty much a guarantee that your assessment is correct.
Speaking of architecture should Vietnam get it's own style or should it be similar to China or the Khmer?

One more. Babylon in November is accounted for; Vietnam and Kublai in January are presumed accounted for; only one civ is coming in March.

Fingers crossed the remaining civ in March is African or Native American. I wouldn't mind Palmyra either.

Definitely considering Haudenosaunee means "People of the Longhouse."

I would imagine it to be a granary replacement which provides the standard food, extra production, and definitely more housing than the normal granary.
A granary replacement does seem the best for them but it should do something more interesting rather than just more food and housing IMO

A granary replacement does seem the best for them but it should do something more interesting rather than just more food and housing IMO
Well I did add some production and I was possibly thinking either +4 or +5 housing making it almost like a mini neighborhood.

I guess maybe building one could also give an envoy or diplo favor considering they served as places where councils were also held.

I just hope that the devs take that seriously, but it appears that they really are more interested in adding more and more civs instead.

IMHO adding more carefully designed City States for both representation and gameplay would be better than adding weirdly designed (or meme-y) full civs - so I am very looking forward to Nalanda and Samarkand. The diplomatic interactions with City States also have many potential (the plain +1+2+6 bonus is still a bit too powerful sometimes).

If the info leak is real, which I'm pretty sure it is, we are definitely getting Vietnam in January. It's pretty much a guarantee that your assessment is correct.
Speaking of architecture should Vietnam get it's own style or should it be similar to China or the Khmer?

There was a leak? Well I got it right then! That does leave my guess at either Portugal or Iroquois/Haudenosaunee, then for the very last one. One more Native American civ would be very welcome, though personally I might prefer the Navajo.

As for architecture, to me Vietnamese architecture seems aesthetically a little closer to Chinese in style than Khmer, but I'm not sure what would be most historically accurate.

One more. Babylon in November is accounted for; Vietnam and Kublai in January are presumed accounted for; only one civ is coming in March.

Kublai, as in Kublai Khan? That would be cool! Honestly, I was expecting the additional leader to be something like Russian, so that is a bit of a surprise for me.

IMHO adding more carefully designed City States for both representation and gameplay would be better than adding weirdly designed (or meme-y) full civs - so I am very looking forward to Nalanda and Samarkand. The diplomatic interactions with City States also have many potential (the plain +1+2+6 bonus is still a bit too powerful sometimes).
Yeah, though I would like CS's to be a little more complex than they currently are, though they are a very nice addition to the game, and overall I'm happy with them. Barbarians, on the otherhand, are far too two dimensional, sadly, despite their huge potential.

Could somebody please link me to this leak about Vietnam? I'm quite curious! :)

As for architecture, to me Vietnamese architecture seems aesthetically a little closer to Chinese in style than Khmer, but I'm not sure what would be most historically accurate.
It's derived from the Chinese architectural tradition, yeah. There is no connection to any Khmer elements besides specific buildings (say, elephant pens) and ruins of the people they conquered when expanding south.

As far as the stuff about Vietnam goes, here's the full text from in-game files:
This folder contains gameplay data. Be careful to distinguish between two types of gameplay files:
  1. Gameplay that needs to be on by default (ex. KublaiKhan_Vietnam_Civilizations.xml for the new content, KublaiKhan_Vietnam_Expansion2.xml for tweaks specific to playing in the XP2 ruleset) Expansion1_Required Material will work in either expansion as long as you have Expansion1 enabled.

2. Gameplay that is part of an optional mode, specifying the ruleset needed (if any) and ending in “_Modes” (ex. KublaiKhan_Vietnam_Modes.xml for content related to the Alternate Economy game mode).

Also a minor note on the Tibetan civ ideas. It would probably be for the better if the resulting naming scheme was consistent. Looking at Sukritact's Tibetan faction, he has the leader called "Trisong Detsen" (Nonstandard romanisation of the sound of his name, Tr roughly as in track, D is t, en at the end is a nasal e; obviously preferable to standard khri srong lde btsan, though I wouldn't be opposed to terrorising the announcer with that since it is, after all, closer to the pronounciation of his name during his reign :mischief:), the unit called Rta Pa (and not rTa Pa, but it's still close enough to standard Wyllie transcription of the "tapa" sound) and the district as Dzong (Bhutanese romanisation, Wyllie would make it rDzong and the sound is a ts).

Last edited:
I’m going to make a guess, but I think that the last pack is going to be a returning civ, and there are only 2 places I think it could be at: Portugal and Native America. Out of these I think it could be Portugal, The Iroquois, and the Shoshone.

The Abbasid Caliphate was another crucial actor in the Indian Ocean, they even set up an Arab community in Canton/Guangzhou during Tang for trade purposes, but we already have a religious-scientific Arabia, so maybe next time.) (Also, I read Hansen's work on Silk Road before - it is fascinating - but, if someone would like to argue for a pre-Columbus trade connection between the Old World and the New World, Polynesians may be a better choice...but that will be way off-topic so let's stop here.)
arabia being faith/science with a trade play on the faith bonus seems like the smartest move to me, but Oman, Swahili, Chola and eventually the Portuguese and the Kingdom of Jaffna all strike me as more pre-eminent trading civs on the indian ocean
Nothing against a Nepali civ, but I would rather Bhutan, considering their strengths in today's world.
Bhutan could have a bunch of medieval bonuses and then an ability referencing being the only carbon negative country that halves all their emissions or something
Edit: In terms of Bhutan's selling point/uniqueness, I wouldn't necessarily say "happiness of the people" for them is a good idea, especially considering Bhutan has an ongoing ethnic cleansing project/problem.

agree, Bhutan’s unique modern characteristic is being carbon negative, not ‘the happiest country’ (which isn’t a real measure, if you’re familiar with it, and includes things which are unrelated to mental health and humans in its calculation)

Nepal has a longer history and more places to flesh out a strong civ, imo. We also need more hindu civs and have enough buddhist civs, imo.

I love the ideas for Bhutan as a civ, it sounds really unique and fun!

At the same time, Tibet is an entirely different culture, and it was one of the few distinct civilizations to have been relevant in East Asian history, and imo East Asia has far too few representatives for such a robust part of the world, same with South Asia which is tragically underrepresented.

I've never understood the idea that the CCP would ban a game if it included Tibet. It's not a secret that Tibet was a regional power throughout history. It feels like conjecture and paranoia.

I'd absolutely be up for Bhutan, though I worry that Firaxis would find quite a challenge in looking for a Dzongkha-speaking voice actor for the leader. Nepali is far more widely spoken and Nepal may thus be more inviting to work on, but it wouldn't represent the Tibetan branch of Sino-Tibetan-speaking cultures.

I'd absolutely be up for Bhutan, though I worry that Firaxis would find quite a challenge in looking for a Dzongkha-speaking voice actor for the leader. Nepali is far more widely spoken and Nepal may thus be more inviting to work on, but it wouldn't represent the Tibetan branch of Sino-Tibetan-speaking cultures.
i feel like Dzongkha wouldn’t be as hard to find as some of the languages already represented in this game. There’s surely more speakers of Dzongkha than Ancient Egyptian or Aramaic, right?

Nepali is an Indo-Aryan language though, so Nepal would represent Nepal if it was in, it surely couldn’t be a Tibet stand-in especially considering Nepal is majority Hindu

Kublai, as in Kublai Khan? That would be cool! Honestly, I was expecting the additional leader to be something like Russian, so that is a bit of a surprise for me.
We knew it was going to be for a civ from R&F because the info for pack 5 stated that a new leader required R&F and Mongolia seemed pretty obvious.

I’m going to make a guess, but I think that the last pack is going to be a returning civ, and there are only 2 places I think it could be at: Portugal and Native America. Out of these I think it could be Portugal, The Iroquois, and the Shoshone.
I agree. I don't think they would consider bringing the Shoshone though as that was a last minute replacement of the Pueblo.

If they decided to bring back the "Shoshone" do it at least in the form of a Comanche civ so it could be considered new. :mischief:

I love the ideas for Bhutan as a civ, it sounds really unique and fun!

At the same time, Tibet is an entirely different culture, and it was one of the few distinct civilizations to have been relevant in East Asian history, and imo East Asia has far too few representatives for such a robust part of the world, same with South Asia which is tragically underrepresented.

I've never understood the idea that the CCP would ban a game if it included Tibet. It's not a secret that Tibet was a regional power throughout history. It feels like conjecture and paranoia.
It would be nice if they added a few more civs from Asia, though we are getting more civs than before at least.

Hi Andrew from Firaxis, we know you are reading this but you cannot comment or like comments regarding unreleased content. Since pack 6 cannot be both a Native American civ AND Portugal, please let the dev team know that it is literally easy money since a lot of us would be willing to pay for them :D Please be super extra wholesome (which you guys already are) and don't end Civ6 after NFP just yet. :) Thanks!
I know I shouldn't read much into this but considering our lord and savior Andrew has read our plea, I don't think we will end Civ6 without another Native American civ or Portugal. :D I mean we clearly know the devs frequented this forum and they must know how popular these requests are.

My guess has a ton of wishful thinking in there, but I think the last pack is Native American, just for the sake of geographical completion. And then when all hope is lost, the free April update will include Portugal as the new piece of content we will guarantee to have every free update, which will then conclude Civ6. I know that may not seem likely right now, but considering the amount of effort invested in Red Death (2 seasons) and Pirates scenario, I think a new free civ as a final "thank you" gesture may be within the reasonable realm of possibility.

I know I shouldn't read much into this but considering our lord and savior Andrew has read our plea, I don't think we will end Civ6 without another Native American civ or Portugal. :D I mean we clearly know the devs frequented this forum and they must know how popular these requests are.

My guess has a ton of wishful thinking in there, but I think the last pack is Native American, just for the sake of geographical completion. And then when all hope is lost, the free April update will include Portugal as the new piece of content we will guarantee to have every free update, which will then conclude Civ6. I know that may not seem likely right now, but considering the amount of effort invested in Red Death (2 seasons) and Pirates scenario, I think a new free civ as a final "thank you" gesture may be within the reasonable realm of possibility.
Are we getting an April update after the NFP ends?

Well if we are talking about geographical completion might as well throw in something from North Africa too to make it an even 52 with another Ancient Egyptian leader. :mischief:

Top Bottom