[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Beard matches with civ 4 Kublai Khan
Not that much, but certainly matches.

Also, noticing this is your first post here, and as the unofficial welcoming committee, I hereby welcome you to the Civ Fanatics Forums. We all hope you enjoy your time here and that you have a memorable experience here... Yeah, this is kind of my thing here on the forums.

Overall, taking all the portraits of Kublai, Marco Polo's account, and the typical style of Mongolian clothing into consideration, the surprising things about this Kublai are
1. He doesn't have a round face (Kublai's contemporary portraits - we have 2 existing portraits - all gave him a round face);
2. He doesn't have a headwear as well (Mongolians and their rulers usually wear their hat in the public, and, not to say, imagine not having any headwear on the windy steppe);
3. Mongolians around Kublai's time also have a distinct hairstyle (they shove their heads) and the hairstyle of the Kublai model is completely different.

Besides those points, he is definitely Kublai - having Mongolian clothing, having the same beard as Kublai, and, you know, Vietnamese rulers don't look like that.

I would say using the same head model of Genghis (which does have a round face) for Kublai's head should be adequate - Kublai is Genghis' grandson after all, why would their appearances look so much different? I do hope devs can, somehow, address these issues, if possible.
(I think this is also the first time in civ we have two leaders that are close relatives.)

Last edited:
Besides those points, he is definitely Kublai - having Mongolian clothing, having the same beard as Kublai, and, you know, Vietnamese rulers didn't look like that.
Of course a Vietnamese ruler wore that: it's just in an alternate universe, Kublai conquered Vietnam and he leads Vietnam. :mischief:

Not that much, but certainly matches.

Also, noticing this is your first post here, and as the unofficial welcoming committee, I hereby welcome you to the Civ Fanatics Forums. We all hope you enjoy your time here and that you have a memorable experience here... Yeah, this is kind of my thing here on the forums.
Thank You Duke :)
You have my full support to become an Emperor now :goodjob:

Look forward to have great conversations here.

(I think this is also the first time in civ we have two leaders that are close relatives.)

Kublai and Genghis have both been in civ IV as well I believe.

And I believe Kristina was the daughter of Gustavus Adolphus in civ V, but those were in different games of course. Gustavus Adolphus is a great general in civ VI though.

Kublai and Genghis have both been in civ IV as well I believe.

And I believe Kristina was the daughter of Gustavus Adolphus in civ V, but those were in different games of course. Gustavus Adolphus is a great general in civ VI though.

Wasn't Maria the Mad Pedro's grandmother? If so, it's the same degree of relationship as between Genghis and Kublai.

Besides those points, he is definitely Kublai - having Mongolian clothing, having the same beard as Kublai, and, you know, Vietnamese rulers don't look like that.
True, Vietnamese emperors don't wear this, they wear what you would typically imagine what a Chinese emperor wears, which in this case Kublai doesn't wear it either cuz he is not ethnic Han.
Wasn't Maria the Mad Pedro's grandmother? If so, it's the same degree of relationship as between Genghis and Kublai.
If you count leaders across games then Monty I is the grandfather of Monty II as well, but then most civ games before Civ5 never really make it clear whether the leader is Monty I or II. We just know that both have been depicted.

Kublai wearing yellow doesn't guarantee he leads both China and Mongolia. It means he's in the game, leading Mongolia.

If he leads both though, I would love to see two different character models à la Eleanor.

Looks like another leak confirmed. Welcome to the Civ Franchise, Vietnam. :thumbsup:

Kublai wearing yellow doesn't guarantee he leads both China and Mongolia. It means he's in the game, leading Mongolia.

If he leads both though, I would love to see two different character models à la Eleanor.

Looks like another leak confirmed. Welcome to the Civ Franchise, Vietnam. :thumbsup:

I would consider different character models a necessity for clarity. The leader is the most eye-catching part of the UI banner, the diplomacy screens, the first meeting, et cetera. It would be very confusing to have identical character models for players with different unique abilities, so I think Firaxis would make the two Kublai's distinguishable even if it isn't as drastic as Eleanor.

Overall, taking all the portraits of Kublai, Marco Polo's account, and the typical style of Mongolian clothing into consideration, the surprising things about this Kublai are 1.doesn't have a hat (imagine not having any headwear on the windy steppe), 2.not really a round face (Marco Polo specifically mentioned that the Khan is a chunky man with a round face).
Edit: Also, 3. Mongolians have a distinct hair style as well, and this doesn't look like it.

I would say using the same head model of Genghis (which does have a round face) for Kublai's head should be adequate - Kublai is Genghis' grandson after all, why would their appearances look so much different?

This Kublai (if it is really him) looks kinda of like Qin from civ 4. I remember when the game came out, the leader model was mixed up with Kublai Khan. I hope the developers did not intend this to be a subtle reference to that mix up (unless if this model is just him leading China). He does look weird without head gear, just as it was strange Qin from civ 4 lacked one as well. At least the Chinese version had him look a little closer to civ 6 Qin.

upload_2021-1-15_11-41-14.png

This Kublai (if it is really him) looks kinda of like Qin from civ 4. I remember when the game came out, the leader model was mixed up with Kublai Khan. I hope the developers did not intend this to be a subtle reference to that mix up (unless if this model is just him leading China). He does look weird without head gear, just as it was strange Qin from civ 4 lacked one as well. At least the Chinese version had him look a little closer to civ 6 Qin.

View attachment 581666
Mate, I'm pretty sure that is Qin Shi Huang from Civ 4. Wait... Oh, snap, read it wrong again, bloody hell!! Apologies, I didn't realize what you meant. Oops...

Last edited:
Welcome to CivFanatics, where reckless speculation based on too little information is just kind of what we do. :p

Welcome to CivFanatics, where reckless speculation based on too little information is just kind of what we do. :p
I'm trying to make a retortion to this, but I can only realize you're right...

Last edited:

So speaks the man who joined CivFanatics 8 years after I did. :mischief:

Changing the basic color of the robe to match the 'culture' of each Civ would be a really neat touch. Kudos to the art team at Firaxis IF that's what they are doing.
I wouldn't know about that.
The part that will be most visible when playing is his head and they gave him a head full of hair, which no Mongolian of the time would have. So I kinda doubt they'd change something that important/visible (hairstyles were literally a matter of life and death in this part of the world) and then have the hues of his clothing change due to additional historic considerations.

The part that will be most visible when playing is his head and they gave him a head full of hair, which no Mongolian of the time would have.

Yeah, the Mongolians at his time usually got their hair shoved. This Kublai looks like having a hairstyle of 19th century British/New England country gentleman. Maybe he really needs a headwear to cover that...

And in terms of the clothing color, traditional Mongol clothing commonly uses yellow as well.

Last edited:
As for the Vietnamese leader, after looking at Kublai, my expectation that it would be Tran Nhan Tong just goes through the roof. It is too good of a pairing to let it go.

Also, since I think if Vietnam is led by a medieval emperor, it most likely won't have 2 UUs, I hope Kublai Khan comes with his own.

Top Bottom