1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

*cries in English Lit major* :(

Hawke9, DWilson, Meluhhan and 4 others like this.
  2. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Eh, that's kind of our thing here. You've been here before me, so you should know that we CivFanatics are all conspiracy theorists.

Hawke9, DWilson, Kjimmet and 5 others like this.
  3. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

There is no theory. You sound like you had that comment gaining dust in a drawer and needed a reason to use it.

I mentioned the orca and asked if someone could identify the label. notNamed identified the label. The end.

4. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

Cabal civ with a Sea World unique replacement for the Water Park

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

When this is all over an Orca should take the place of saying it's a red herring probably. :mischief:

6. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

Tbh it wouldbe really funny that in the end it did forshadowed something

7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Naturally ;-) Have I ever given you the impression I don't have an answer for everything? :p

True, you have been reasonably sane. I know where this discussion leads however. Someone asks a critical question, it gets turned into hare-brained theory predicting unrevealed content based on zero evidence, we get our hopes up, it doesn't come to pass, tooth-gnashing disappointment for everyone.

Then the Devs read our collective meltdowns during their lunch break, laugh at us while sipping their lattes, jokingly asking each other "haha, can you imagine if we *actually* did that" "should we?" "ha ah you're joking" "Actually, I wasn't" " well it is such a bad idea no one will see coming... we have to do it" "yeah, i agree, it's gonna be FUN".

It's how we got Tamar, after all.

But until such things come to pass, let's just retain a modicum of level-headedness, shall we?

Meluhhan, Kjimmet, Kimiimaro and 6 others like this.
  8. Zaarin

You say that like it's a bad thing. :mischief: (A little disappointed with how they presented her as clinically paranoid with a bizarre obsession for walls that somehow equate to "Georgian spirit," but I'm not sorry they included her...)

Jkchart, Meluhhan, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  9. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Oh I am not sad we got Tamar after all. I've always had a soft spot for her useless (secretly not useless at all) crusty self. (helped by the fact that I was the first one here to figure out the clue during the R&F season - a life achievement of mine! My parents should be proud!). But at the time people were convincing themselves she was part of the basegame, which was a stretch, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Likewise, I don't oppose the inclusion of PNW tribes - In fact, I'd endorse it. A lot. I merely refuse to get my hopes up via rampant internet spec.

10. Zaarin

Oh, I agree. I'm 99% certain the last civ is Portugal, for better or for worse.

11. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Warlord

Mug Orcas, Civfanatic's take on red herrings.

12. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Alright, I think I've had enough of orcas for one day. Everyone's too focused on orcas. Orcas this orcas that. We all need to relax, inhale, exhale, and take our minds off orcas. So I'm going to watch a show on Netflix instead. Hey look, this one about the Ottomans looks fu...

Well that's one hell of an algorithm.

Guess I'm re-watching people getting eaten by distressed orcas instead. Thanks Netflix.

Hawke9, Jeppetto, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  13. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

14. Gradac

Gradac ВИТЕЗ СА ШТИТОМ

My guts tells me: Haudenosaunee (one of my favorite civs to play in all previous Sid Meyer's iteration .. and in a real life too. Big admirer)

..and I hope it won't be the last civ in Civ 6 and that there will be more.

15. Inawordyes

Inawordyes In a word: Illyria

At this point, it would seem pretty likely we're getting a returning civ rather than a new one, so if you consider that we are, that basically narrows down the options to one of four civs realistically: Portugal, the Iroquois, Morocco, and the Hittites. Of these four, the Iroquois and Morocco would be the most geographically unique within NFP itself - We have the Gauls super close to Portugal and Babylon super close to the Hittites, but while we have the Maya and Ethiopia, they respectively represent Mesoamerica and East Africa, whereas we have no true representation of North America or North Africa in this pass. We usually see one ME/ME-adjacent and one African civ per DLC group (SP had Persia and Nubia, R&K had Georgia and the Zulu, GS had the Ottomans and Mali, and NFP has Byzantium+Babylon and Ethiopia), on top of the base game having 2 each (Arabia/Sumeria and Egypt/Kongo). The fact that we've already seen the BB combo in NFP specifically rules out Hittites immediately as that would be 3 ME/ME-adjacent civs, but we've never seen African get more than 1 new civ per grouping, so with the addition of Ethiopia, Morocco can probably be reasonably ruled out as well.

The basegame came with 8 European civs (England/France/Germany/Spain/Norway/Russia/Rome/Greece). This was followed up with Poland/Macedonia in the SP, the Netherlands/Scotland in R&K, and Hungary/Sweden/Eleanor alt in GS, for an average of 2 additional Euro civs every group. By this metric, we've already seen both our Euro civs with the addition of Byzantium and the Gauls (in the same pack, no less), which in theory should rule Portugal out as well since we've never gone above 2 additional Euro civs at a time past the base game. In contrast, we've seen exactly 2 Mesoamerican civs, both introduced in the DLC SPs (the Aztecs and the Maya). The SP is the only group of DLC to not include a new civ from North American proper, while we've gotten exactly 1 civ from NA in every other grouping, including the basegame (America in base, the Cree in R&K, and Canada in RF), and if you combine the two regions together we've gotten exactly 1 in every DLC so far. Looking aside from the Mesoamerican civs, we have a pattern of Country-Tribe-Country in the current 3 we have, as well as Vet-New-New, so it would stand to reason that the next NA civ to be included would be a tribe and also a returning vet to balance things out, which basically means the Iroquois, the Sioux, or the Shoshone. We are also due for another female leader, seeing as the SP, R&K and GF all had 3.

So due to the observable patterns, combined with overall requests amongst the fanbase both via the civ and the potential leader choice, the Iroquois/Haudenosaunee led by Jigonhsasee makes the most sense as a requested civ amongst the fanbase (that is from North America, a tribe, and a vet civ, which fits all established patterns with the other ones we've gotten so far), with a popular female leader choice (just like Tamar and Lady Six Sky) that is very historically relevant to the Iroquois and not just a diversity choice for the sake of diversity (Jigonhsasee being one of the three founders of the Iroquois Confederacy and on equal footing with fellow co-founder Hiawatha, who was the their designated leader in Civ III and Civ V)

However, all the above relies on us getting a returnee civ and not a new one. But going again off of patterns, we got 3 new civs in the basegame (Norway, Scythia, Kongo), the SP had a 5-3 split in favor of returnees, and both xpacs had a 4-4 split in terms of returning civs vs. new ones. We are currently sitting at 4 returnee civs (Maya, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Babylon) and 3 new civs (Gran Colombia, the Gauls, and Vietnam). If we're following the basegame + SP trend, then we're getting a vet civ and sending with a 5-3 split. If we're following the xpacs, then we're getting a new civ. So in the case that we're getting a new civ, they would still follow all the established patterns otherwise, so they'd need to be a North American tribe with a female leader. The immediate first option that comes to mind is the Cherokee led like Nanyehi, which are one of the most popular requests for a new tribe civ from NA, as well as a decently-popular leader request that is also not a diversity pick for the sake of diversity. Beyond the Cherokee, my knowledge of female leader choices in other popular new civ requests such as the Navajo or a PNW tribe is not extensive and I can't come up with any good ideas to suggest for them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist! But I also personally see the Cherokee as the most likely (Navajo second, due to the unique espionage-based playstyle that they can bring due to the Codetalkers) due to their popularity as a request amongst the fanbase when bringing up new NA civs.

16. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

I think another Northamerican Civ with a good female leader could be the Tongva led by Toypurina; the Tongva is a very interesting culture, some of them talk about how interesting is that their life style and boat making practices are more similar to pacific islander rather than other North American tribes; Toypurina herself is an interesting person, a medicine woman who lead rebellions against the Spanish conversion of her people, gameplay wise they could maybe touch into Medic units with her, maybe an Unique early medic unit, the ability to buy them with faith and they could also similar to a great general boosting the combat strengh of adjacent units; additionally the Tongva geographically speaking cover the California region, which i think has never been explore in a civ game

17. AtlantisAuthor

AtlantisAuthor Chieftain

I suspect that there will be some form of DLC beyond NFP, if only because of certain things that are currently missing from the game. The units have rather obvious gaps (from Musketman to Infantry, Cold War-era bombers filling in for "Stealth" technology, etc.), and then, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there's the military-centric group of longtime, iconic Civ Leaders that so far have been left out of Civ VI but which would make for A) great Alternate Leaders and B) a military-themed DLC Pack/Season Pass. Napoleon, Oda Nobunaga, Augustus Caesar, Boudicca, Bismarck, Attila, Elizabeth, Enrico Dandolo, Harold Bluetooth, and Washington/Lincoln, among others.

Do I expect all of these to be added should such DLC be announced? Of course not; there would obviously be a lot of redundancy created by some of them, for one thing. But others (especially Napoleon) could absolutely offer different personalities and gameplay approaches than the currently available Leaders. But again, given what (and who) is missing, if any DLC is coming after NFP, it makes sense that it would have some sort of militaristic theme.

18. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

You forgot about Assyria. And Austria. (and Denmark).

Not that I think any of those are particularly likely. I think Portugal is most likely, and secondarily something from North America, either new or returning.

You can also look at the expacks as introducing three European leaders (Robert, Wilhelmina, Tamar; Kristina, Matthias, Eleanor), in which case a third European leader is the most likely/profitable choice for the final NFP leader.

I don't disagree with your Iroquois/Cherokee logic, however. Both seem exceptionally strong candidates if the developers go in any direction other than Portugal. I do think that, after Civ 5 introduced the Shoshone, the franchise serves as a huge opportunity to expose its primary market (the United States) to the full range of our cultural history. I think it's an opportunity that should not be missed for VI.

19. Txomin

Txomin Warlord

I feel Portugal is more likely but I'm hoping for the Haudenosaunee myself, though I do think the last civ will be a returning one. Honestly at this point I'm more interested in if the civ has interesting gameplay features more than anything so even if I don't care for Portugal personally I'd be happy if they brought interesting ideas to the table.

20. Zaarin

I wouldn't be thrilled with choosing a California tribe. It was one of the most primitive regions of North America after the Arctic, and the PNW is right next door with considerably more cultural and technological sophistication. I think if we get another North American civ, the odds are strongly in favor of the Haudenosaunee thanks to their familiarity and long-standing experience with media attention. However, I think the final civ is almost certainly Portugal.