[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

portugal is so disappointing...

really wish we’d at least get a civ from an underrepresented region

or an indigenous civ (either of oceania or North America)

or SOMETHING

but instead we get the halfway point between the Netherlands, Spain and Brazil, thematically...

with exception to Vietnam, this pack was a massive waste of money lol

or SOMETHING

but instead we get the halfway point between the Netherlands, Spain and Brazil, thematically...

You were expecting the wrong things. I thought it was obvious from day one that NFP was going to be pure fan service consisting of mostly staples plus a few highly-requested civs like Gran Colombia and Vietnam.

You were expecting the wrong things. I thought it was obvious from day one that NFP was going to be pure fan service consisting of mostly staples plus a few highly-requested civs like Gran Colombia and Vietnam.
Pretty much this. The only unexpected thing to me was Gaul instead of another Native American civ, besides the obvious ones that would most likely return (Maya, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Babylon and Portugal).

Intriguingly this would make Portugal one of a small handful of civs that have been in repeatedly and never had the same leader twice. Unlike, say, Babylon, which has had a single deviation from the eternal Hammurabi. :p

I think that speaks to just how weird and almost un-staple-like Portugal really is for a game like Civ. It doesn't really have a clear niche that doesn't substantially overlap with other civs. And it doesn't have any leaders that are on the same level of iconicity as other civs. It's almost always added last.

or SOMETHING

I won't say I'm not disappointed, either. I wanted a new civ, I wanted another female leader, I wanted cool music, I wanted something from literally any other continent, I wanted hope for a second season.

And what sucks the most is that, based on how ... incoherent? unresonant? both? ... most of the NFP civ designs are, I think it's quite likely that there will be something underwhelming or "off" about Portugal's implementation. So the potential will have been squandered for the sake of something extra underwhelming.

Last edited:
While I would've preferred a Native American civ or an Oceanic civ, Portugal's a nice note to end on.

Does make it seem like a "Final Frontier Pass" is less likely tho.

While I would've preferred a Native American civ or an Oceanic civ, Portugal's a nice note to end on.

Does make it seem like a "Final Frontier Pass" is less likely tho.
There are plenty of Civilizations that could make the devs money like Assyria, Iroquois, Morocco, etc. We'll have to wait and see, though.

Well they are definitely an Oceanic civ. :mischief:

There are plenty of Civilizations that could make the devs money like Assyria, Iroquois, Morocco, etc. We'll have to wait and see, though.
While this is probably true for a majority of Civfanatics I don't know how much they would sell to the general population considering all the "big" civilizations are accounted for. I guess the fact that a majority of them at least might be recognizable to Civ 5 players would help.

While this is probably true for a majority of Civfanatics I don't know how much they would sell to the general population considering all the "big" civilizations are accounted for. I guess the fact that a majority of them at least might be recognizable to Civ 5 players would help.
I'm pretty sure the general public would recognize the Iroquois or Morocco.

I'm pretty sure the general public would recognize the Iroquois or Morocco.
Those definitely are probably the big ones along with fan favorite Italy that maybe could make up a smaller pass. Give us Assyria/Hittites with an Egyptian leader which could work too.

Those definitely are probably the big ones along with fan favorite Italy that maybe could make up a smaller pass. Give us Assyria/Hittites with an Egyptian leader too which could work too.
Add Siam or Burma in there as well with a pinch of either Samoa or Hawaii.

The way the Maori is designed I doubt that any other Polynesian group is coming from Oceania.

Siam or Burma would be nice too though I think SEA is in a good spot, with the release of Vietnam, and would rather focus on other areas such as North America, North Africa, and Italy first. :mischief:

Burma is one of those civs that would be an insta-buy for me. That and Morocco/Numidia, or Oman/Swahili. My OCD needs those map-gaps filled.

The way the Maori is designed I doubt that any other Polynesian group is coming from Oceania.

The modern nation of Hawaii from before becoming part of the US has a lot of potential without overlapping with the Maori.

The modern nation of Hawaii from before becoming part of the US has a lot of potential without overlapping with the Maori.

I wouldn't mind being proved wrong, but the way the devs talked about them in the Maori Livestream is that they pretty much were going to be the "token" Polynesian civ. :p

I'd definitely want a volcano-immune Hawaii and, though it was a good while ago, I read some interesting stuff about Lili'uokalani and think she would make for an interesting leader.
She's a Great Musician in the game already, but if she wasn't, I'd accept her without any animosity or doubt. Good Leader in her own right, unfortunately overthrown by some American colonists.

She's a Great Musician in the game already, but if she wasn't, I'd accept her without any animosity or doubt. Good Leader in her own right, unfortunately overthrown by some American colonists.

Bolivar and Temujin got the promotion from GP to leader so no reason she couldn't.

Top Bottom