[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Good point, I didn't even consider that.

I'd actually be pretty excited for an oddball Civ which gets bonuses from tiles which are unexploitable by other Civs in the game.

That Civ V mod idea of Seals Luxury resource on Ice tiles was pretty good. I'm guessing, since we already have Ley Lines, doing something similar as unique ability for a Civ would be simple to implement.

I remember trying that mod but unfortunately it wouldn't work for me :(.
I do think workable ice tiles might be an interesting ability, similar to how Inca can work mountain tiles, but other than that I don't necessarily find playing the Inuit appealing.

I think the hardest thing to do is make a city list for them unless they use permanent today where a majority of the populations live.

I do think workable ice tiles might be an interesting ability, similar to how Inca can work mountain tiles, but other than that I don't necessarily find playing the Inuit appealing.

Ice is a terrain feature currently, which means code-wise it can be workable. Although the moment someone began to pump CO2 into atmosphere you will lost them.

I LOVE the idea of an Inuit civilization. They'd really be unique, and would represent a tragically unrepresented region~

I feel like the last Civ of the NFP has to be Portugal. They're an obvious omission as has been stated a million times, and they're an easy female leader.

If by the goodwill of the universe and Capitalism we were blessed with another expansion after NFP, I'd love to see:

Iroquois & Navajo pack, Siam & Tibet pack, Morocco & Swahili pack, Inuit pack, and finishing with a grand finale Venice pack just for kicks.

That would be a perfect balance of returning and new civs, with more Native American representation being critical, as well as Siam and Tibet which are the only other glaring omissions to world history that I personally see.

*I wrote this earlier so some of it is similar to Alexander's and Ticio's suggestions above*

Now that Appeal is being made more relevant thanks to the Preserve district, Continents could get some love, and Portugal can help with that imo. Here's a few designs:

Seek Luxuries in Foreign Continents
Luxury Resources are locked behind continents yet there isn't much in the game taking advantage of that. Spain and England are encouraged to seek foreign continents, but none of them have a focus on luxuries.

The Feitoria in Civ 5 was fun and something similar could be adapted for Civ 6.

UI: Feitorias can be built along the coast in foreign continents and grant a copy of any unimproved luxury within a tile.
UU: Naus can build Feitorias (one charge).

Agenda: Dislike Civilizations on foreign continents with Luxuries they do not already own.

Anti-Maya (sort of)
Cities on foreign continents get access to any luxury within its borders without requiring a tile improvement. +15% to all yields in this city while there's an active trade route to the Portuguese Capital.
Cities on foreign continents with an active trade route to the Capital may purchase land military units at a discount.
Cities get -20% to all yields if within six tiles of the Capital and on non-coastal tiles (no malus or bonus if on coast).

Colonization & Piracy
The first city settled in a foreign continent grants a free trade unit and trade route capacity.
Any conquered coastal city in a foreign continent grants a free trade unit and trade route capacity if there's a Nau adjacent to it.

Naus may settle coastal tiles in foreign continents (one charge, unit not consumed).
Cities in foreign continents with a Nau do not suffer loyalty pressure.

Portuguese Harbour
Has Outer Defenses and Ranged Strike. Grants culture equal to gold adjacenc
Must be built adjacent to the City Centre.

Unique Great Admirals (Gran Colombia Mirror)

Wow, I really like this Portugal!

The Feitoria in Civ 5 was fun and something similar could be adapted for Civ 6.

UI: Feitorias can be built along the coast in foreign continents and grant a copy of any unimproved luxury within a tile.

Why would you redo the Civ 5 Feitoria when you have the Vampire Castle just sitting there?

I'd say make the Feitoria like the Vampire Castle minus the teleportation. Sends yields back to the capital and gives a defensive bonus. To limit it a bit, have it come late medieval, can only be built in unclaimed territory on a continent other than the capital. Destroyed by pillaging or if anyone (including Portugal) founds a city/includes it in their territory, but Portugal gets bonus pop/start for a city if they found it on the feitoria. So Portugal wants to get to it and start slamming it down everywhere that's not claimed (and leaving some units to guard it from pillaging) to send yields back to the capital, and the eventually send settlers to the feitoria locations to found cities there.

Why would you redo the Civ 5 Feitoria when you have the Vampire Castle just sitting there?

I'd say make the Feitoria like the Vampire Castle minus the teleportation. Sends yields back to the capital and gives a defensive bonus. To limit it a bit, have it come late medieval, can only be built in unclaimed territory on a continent other than the capital. Destroyed by pillaging or if anyone (including Portugal) founds a city/includes it in their territory, but Portugal gets bonus pop/start for a city if they found it on the feitoria. So Portugal wants to get to it and start slamming it down everywhere that's not claimed (and leaving some units to guard it from pillaging) to send yields back to the capital, and the eventually send settlers to the feitoria locations to found cities there.
I like the idea of tying a Feitoria to a luxury resource but built into your territory by a builder.

As for something similar to a Vampire Castle I would do a Padrão, which would be similar to how you described it would work except for defensive bonuses, and built by a UU.

I LOVE the idea of an Inuit civilization. They'd really be unique, and would represent a tragically unrepresented region~

I feel like the last Civ of the NFP has to be Portugal. They're an obvious omission as has been stated a million times, and they're an easy female leader.

If by the goodwill of the universe and Capitalism we were blessed with another expansion after NFP, I'd love to see:

Iroquois & Navajo pack, Siam & Tibet pack, Morocco & Swahili pack, Inuit pack, and finishing with a grand finale Venice pack just for kicks.

That would be a perfect balance of returning and new civs, with more Native American representation being critical, as well as Siam and Tibet which are the only other glaring omissions to world history that I personally see.
I am ok with your list. But Tibet is rather not an option. The most possible last spot will be a new civ with female leader. Probably NA natives or something out od the box like Inuit. Portugal will be last goodbye dlc or part of NFP2 I think.

I am ok with your list. But Tibet is rather not an option. The most possible last spot will be a new civ with female leader. Probably NA natives or something out od the box like Inuit. Portugal will be last goodbye dlc or part of NFP2 I think.

I am always confused why people think Tibet isn't an option. It's not controversial history that historical Tibet was a relevant civilization in East Asia... We're talking about
吐蕃, not 西藏!

I feel like Portugal is a rather anticlimactic final DLC, as it's such a staple. If there's no more DLC, then it's a comfortable choice to end it all, but if they have a second and definitive final DLC release, I doubt they would leave Portugal for the very very last spot.

While I'd love to see a southwest American native civ, wasn't it the Navajo that they tried making in Civ V but the tribal leaders objected to it due to cultural taboos against representations of the deceased? Or am I getting that confused with a different southwest American native civ that eventually became Civ V's Shoshone?

I like the idea of linking the feitoria to luxury resources since it was things like luxuries trade that the Portuguese sought to monopolize, hence why they went through so much effort to control the Indian Ocean spice trade or the sugar trade.

I feel like Portugal is a rather anticlimactic final DLC, as it's such a staple. If there's no more DLC, then it's a comfortable choice to end it all, but if they have a second and definitive final DLC release, I doubt they would leave Portugal for the very very last spot.
If this is the last DLC for the game I think it will be Portugal, no matter how anticlimactic it will feel to some people.

But I agree that if it something other than Portugal for the last spot that might open up the possibility for a second season of DLC.

While I'd love to see a southwest American native civ, wasn't it the Navajo that they tried making in Civ V but the tribal leaders objected to it due to cultural taboos against representations of the deceased? Or am I getting that confused with a different southwest American native civ that eventually became Civ V's Shoshone?
It was the Pueblo.

I find Portugal to be boring as sin, but on the same note it'd feel weird for it to not be in the game. In that regard, I probably won't be satisfied regardless of whether or not it's the final Civ.

I don't really need a full new set of DLC, though. Pretty much everything I still want can fit into 2-3 DLC packs:
  • Native North America (e.g. Navajo) as NFP6
  • Assyria or Hittites as standalone DLC
  • Portugal and Morocco/Berbers/etc. as standalone DLC and the final civs
Done, I have no further complaints about the lineup. I don't even need new features for the latter two DLC civs; if you've gotta pad them out with something, I'd settle for a couple more missing wonders and maybe a few new generic units.

I find Portugal to be boring as sin, but on the same note it'd feel weird for it to not be in the game. In that regard, I probably won't be satisfied regardless of whether or not it's the final Civ.

I don't really need a full new set of DLC, though. Pretty much everything I still want can fit into 2-3 DLC packs:
Done, I have no further complaints about the lineup. I don't even need new features for the latter two DLC civs; if you've gotta pad them out with something, I'd settle for a couple more missing wonders and maybe a few new generic units.

One thing that has been bothering me is that Portugal, Morocco, and Venice have all been demoted somewhat...and I feel like with the Shoshone or Iroquois slot we really have a good base for a next expansion if we considered Hittites free real estate.

Honestly, I don't think Portugal would even make my top ten of civs I'd want to see added at this point. Not ahead of the Haudenosaunee, Tlingit, Mughal, Morocco, Ashanti, Swahili, Timurid, Hittite, Assyrian, Muisca, Navajo, etc.

I'm just not sure what gameplay or narrative "space" Portugal could occupy that isn't already taken by other European colonial powers.

I agree that things I would like to see could fit into 3 DLC packs. Even though I don't mind Cleopatra I'm sure an alternate Egyptian leader could fit with Assyria or Hittites too.

Honestly, I don't think Portugal would even make my top ten of civs I'd want to see added at this point. Not ahead of the Haudenosaunee, Tlingit, Mughal, Morocco, Ashanti, Swahili, Timurid, Hittite, Assyrian, Muisca, Navajo, etc.

I'm just not sure what gameplay or narrative "space" Portugal could occupy that isn't already taken by other European colonial powers.
Well we've been talking about how no civs fit the theme of exploration over the past few pages. Not that I don't like your other choices but I feel like Portugal's return will eventually be imminent over most, if not all at this point.

So I did a thing.

I just made a comprehensive “perspective map” of the Civs so far just to look at what we overall have in the game.

Leaders are colored by gender for no real reason, (but it does help with said perspective.)

Bold text indicates what I thought count as “historically dominant” powers, generally through conquest or colonization — I excluded the Aztecs because...Spain, same for Indonesia and the Dutch, etc.

I included Georgia in Eastern Europe because the consensus of Georgians (and Armenians) consider themselves to be European, not Asian.

Indonesia was grouped with Oceania using the broadest definition (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oceania,_broad_(orthographic_projection).svg) which helps highlight the clear divide between Austroasiatic / Tai-Kadai from Austronesian realms...(and it makes the line between Indonesia & Papua New Guinea less awkward.)

I also supplied other images showing where I divided regions (because Africa is geopolitically messy AF, and I chose to align with Nubia separated from Egypt, I also liked I how West Europe is predominantly Latin-Germanic and East is predominantly Greco-Slavic.)

I put Gran Colombia in “Caribbean” because there are so many overlaps in Central America that I went with the broadest, again (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Caribbean_(orthographic_projection).svg)

Attachments

• 5189E7E0-E8C9-4FAE-B4DD-C87CCA53F5DE.jpeg
    5189E7E0-E8C9-4FAE-B4DD-C87CCA53F5DE.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 67
  • A819C063-88FD-4B43-B334-2C59AFE4AF3A.png
    A819C063-88FD-4B43-B334-2C59AFE4AF3A.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 68
  • FDE31EBB-5322-4916-8C95-53FA874BD37A.jpeg
    FDE31EBB-5322-4916-8C95-53FA874BD37A.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 63
  • E19F5289-CF58-4857-8B1D-6F7248533460.jpeg
    E19F5289-CF58-4857-8B1D-6F7248533460.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 9C9BC0BA-3002-4E63-86A9-02BA4AD46B64.png
    9C9BC0BA-3002-4E63-86A9-02BA4AD46B64.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 15ED98C5-4E08-42B9-A66E-4083EDD5799A.jpeg
    15ED98C5-4E08-42B9-A66E-4083EDD5799A.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 49
  • B6A66687-2E91-4E3A-9382-A20FAC4E8527.jpeg
    B6A66687-2E91-4E3A-9382-A20FAC4E8527.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I spent so much time trying to find that label I'm both happy and annoyed it was that easy for you. :D

Good point, I didn't even consider that.

I'd actually be pretty excited for an oddball Civ which gets bonuses from tiles which are unexploitable by other Civs in the game.

The idea of the Inuit is not what I would have in mind initially, but could work as last-of-the-pack-Civ-with-a-radical-gameplay-change.

I won't be inclined to make all snow tiles workable right from the start, but I can see them having
-improvement moviment in the snow
-improved production for coastal tiles around snow, and capabilitiy to work ice-covered water tiles
-improved production for resources in snow
-an UI that can be built on snow to get a basic yield from that tile
-cities in built in snow or tundra have smaller requirements (e.g., you only need 2 pop for each new district), but cities in other terrains have higher requirements (e.g. you need 4 pop for each new district).

Regarding "leaders", i looked wiki for help, and indeed is difficult, but from the named people there, and going for the not-20 century ones, there might be some real candidate. It's difficult as afaik nothing like an "organized" leadership as we have for much other civs, so some of the early diplomatic contacts with the rest of the world might be an option.

The only thing, the hint falls appart (or not) if whe check Orca Coatings is collaborating with save the wales :)

I know Portugal is a favourite of many but personally I don't see much new stuff that could be done with it. There are already tons of European and naval civs.
Looking at the world map I would much prefer a civ from the large Asian landmass. In between Persia, Scythia, India and Mongolia there's still a large white spot. I would love if they filled it with some Turkic culture: Seljuks, Oghuz Turks, Timurids, Uzbeks, with Alp Arslan, Malik Shah, Timur or Ulugh Beg as the ruler. It shouldn't be just about conquest, as Mongolia, but include a nod to the scientific endeavours of Ulugh Beg. Central Asia has been such an important region for the world but until now we only had Mongolia and maybe Scythia as nomadic civs. The Turks have been confined to the (late in terms of their appearance) Ottomans. As a unique building or improvement I would like to see either an observatory or a mausoleum. Their unique ability could be in terms of plains usage and pastoralism: more yields, faster movement.

I know Portugal is a favourite of many but personally I don't see much new stuff that could be done with it. There are already tons of European and naval civs.
Looking at the world map I would much prefer a civ from the large Asian landmass. In between Persia, Scythia, India and Mongolia there's still a large white spot. I would love if they filled it with some Turkic culture: Seljuks, Oghuz Turks, Timurids, Uzbeks, with Alp Arslan, Malik Shah, Timur or Ulugh Beg as the ruler. It shouldn't be just about conquest, as Mongolia, but include a nod to the scientific endeavours of Ulugh Beg. Central Asia has been such an important region for the world but until now we only had Mongolia and maybe Scythia as nomadic civs. The Turks have been confined to the (late in terms of their appearance) Ottomans. As a unique building or improvement I would like to see either an observatory or a mausoleum. Their unique ability could be in terms of plains usage and pastoralism: more yields, faster movement.

In addition to Turkic civs, there r many rich options in Central Asia also like Bactria-Sogdiana, Tarim Basin(Tocharians),Gandhara,Yuezi(Kushana) etc. Of all,Bactria looks promising as it could have a Greco-Bactrian or Kushana leader also.
In fact IMO someone like Kaniskha could lead India & Bactria both.

Last edited:
In addition to Turkic civs, there r many rich options in Central Asia also like Bactria-Sogdiana, Tarim Basin(Tocharians),Gandhara,Yuezi(Kushana) etc. Of all,Bactria looks promising as it could have a Greco-Bactrian or Kushana leader also.
In fact IMO someone like Kaniksha could lead India & Bactria both.
Between Cleopatra, Alexander, Pericles, Gorgo and Basileus, the last thing the game needs is yet another Hellenistic leader. Even if Bactria as such is an interesting place, most of the appeal comes from it being Greek. Heck, even Ottomans are a Perso-Hellenistic civilisation, which is what gets them the spot in spite of (and not because of) their Central Asian language and name.
If the game added some representation of the area, I'd much rather see it focus on a genuine historic entity specific to that area, not a vague catch-all representant for all (semi-)nomadic people like Scythians nor "Greeks, but further east!"

Top Bottom