1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilizations Reborn

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by 1SDAN, Sep 27, 2019.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Giant Death Robots?

Wessel V1 and MacAurther like this.
  2. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

This is not the dumb ideas thread.

3. triplebassist

triplebassist Chieftain

I'd say Europeans discovering North America if that's not too late. It would mean that the Mississippians are historically gone when colonization begins in earnest

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Historically they would have collapsed from the European contact plague I think? I'm not sure if that would be strong enough ingame without some additional measures though.

5. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

The European Colonists and the Westward Movement of US caused the decrease of North America Indians.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  6. triplebassist

triplebassist Chieftain

The Mississippians were mostly gone by the time De Soto explored what's now the Southeastern US

Crimean Lord and TJDowling like this.
  7. TJDowling

TJDowling King

European diseases preceded European explorers because wild boars.

8. TJDowling

TJDowling King

I was playing as the Rus and never actually made contact with the Mongols but checked the WB and Khazars and Muscovy definitely did but there didn't seem to be any conqueror event.

Crimean Lord and 1SDAN like this.
  9. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Another thought. Boer UU is a cavalry unit but the nearest horse available is in Somalia. Perhaps could spawn horses perhaps in the Namib or Lesotho.

1SDAN likes this.
  10. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Yeah, I've since confirmed that none of the conquerors I've given the mongols are working. Expect a fix in the coming update.

11. TJDowling

TJDowling King

I'm thinking they should collapse on contact or when livestock resources spawn regardless of contact. For one feral pigs rampaging across the Great Plains brought disease which contributed to the decline of indigenous populations in the interior before contact was made. For two, livestock would likely extend their civilization's life-span if they exist beyond that point. That said, I guess the livestock spawn is a bit late for that. Pigs should spawn across the interior before cows if you ask me. pigs > horses > cows or pigs > cows > horses? Sheep probably last if any exist.

The 13th Earl and Crimean Lord like this.
  12. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Chieftain

Is it intentional that the Chinese get conquerers if they respawn while playing as Burma?

13. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

That is not intended. I'll look into that.

14. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Apparently China's Broader Area includes Burma's capital. A fix will be included in the next update.

15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Precolombian Update Parts 4 and 5.

I was planning for these to be separate updates, but I ended up implementing both of their languages as a single joint language so that the Mississippians don't have a bunch of cities that their UHV requires that their language doesn't have a name for.

New Civ: Mississippi
    Leader: Red Horn
    Birth: 100 BC at Erie - 1N of Washington.
    UP: The Power of Mshi-Ziibi - Extra Commerce along Rivers
    UU: Falcon Dancer - Replaces Militia. 3 Strength. +50% Plains Strength.
    UB: Effigy Mound - Replaces Park. Available at Leverage. Halved Cost. No Max Latitude.
    UHV1: Hopewell Exchange - Control all tiles along the Mississippi River, Ohio River, and Great Lakes by 500 AD
    UHV2: Fort Ancient Culture - Build the Serpent Mound and 7 Effigy Mounds by 1070 AD
    UHV3: Northern Metropolis - Build a palace and settle 2 great merchants in Cahokia by 1400 AD
    Pagan Religion: Midewiwin
    Temple: Midewigaan
    UPV: Acquire 4 Corn Resources and construct 20 Farms

New Civ: Inuit
    Leader: Aua
    Birth: 200 BC at Naparyaarmiut (Western Alaska) and Olyk (Eastern Siberia)
    UP: The Power of Inuksuk - Trade routes do not require roads. Extra Commerce on coastal city tiles.
    UU : Dog Sled - Replaces Settler. Cannot enter Grassland, Plains, Desert, Marsh. Can settle on Ice along coast. Ignores terrain penalties.
    UB: Igloo - Replaces Granary. +1 Food, Production on Ice, Tundra.
    UHV1: The Dorset - Settle Kivalliq, Kalaallit Nunaat, Qikiqtaaluk, and Nunavik by 900 AD
    UHV2: Bounty of the North - Acquire 25 Resources
    UHV3: Bladder Festival - Control and work more Ocean, Coast, and Lake tiles than any other civilization
    Pagan Religion: Angakkuq
    Temple: Qargi
    UPV: Acquire and work 3 Crab, Whale, and Fish Resources

Added Native North American Unit and City Artstyle types
    New Wonder: Serpent Mound - +1 Merchant Slot from Parks.
    New Celtic UP: Additional Culture in new cities. +1 Food on Forests with Chiefdom.
    European pigs don't appear until after the scripted Roman v Celtia conquerors event or the collapse/conquest/vassalization of Celtia, whichever comes first
    Fixed Mongol conquerors events not occuring. Including the Mughals and Arabia, which are implemented but broken in DoC.
    Reimplemented the Wari UP. It's now faster and does not desync.
    Fixed various Python Errors.
    Disabled Carthaginian respawn as Tunisia until I better understand the respawn mechanics.
    It's finally possible for the Scandinavians to control Greenland! Albeit it requires them to conquer it from the Inuit, but they can now control their full extent!
    Tweaked the Canadian city control UHV to count Vassals as well.
    Fixed misaligned Modifiers (hopefully?)
    Added missing UHV Area Names

16. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Thank you for doing what I could not.

Crimean Lord and 1SDAN like this.
  17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Thank you for writing out such an incredible outline for the civ. It massively helped in giving me a direction to start from.

The Inuit was actually the first civilization I made for Civilizations Reborn, but I wasn't quite happy with the form it took back then so I never released it.

I have to say, working on these precolombian civilizations has really pulled me out of my comfort zone. I've been getting better and better at working with NifSkope, Gimp, Blender, DXTBmp, and gamefonteditor

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    ozqar and TJDowling like this.
  18. TJDowling

TJDowling King

There was a lot of enthusiasm for the Inuit since they represent such a departure from the established civs and a great discussion got going but I got stuck after the first step of coding lol. I didn't realize you had continued work on it but glad you did. Is it live now? When I get a chance to play I'll give some feedback.

19. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

The Inuit are indeed in the latest version.

20. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I know the feeling. I had the same when I worked on my various projects. Basically all my modding knowledge and creating assets I learned by this method. It is a good feeling though, learning how something works and getting better at it. IMO this way is the best way of learning: by doing it and gradually getting better at it, even if it is out of your comfort zone (at first).

So to anyone who has some desire mod something themselves, I would say “Just try it”. It doesn’t matter if it is a small silly thing or something else. The feeling you get the first time you succeed such a small modding project is great. I also started this way, by doing small projects, having no experience with what I was about to do. But by doing it I learned it and got better at it. And you can do that too if you want. It all begins with a first try.