Colin Powell Endorses Obama. Again.

You aint being racist, but you got a double standard yourself - Powell's being racist but you aint for supporting a white candidate?

I already said people are free to assume what they wish. Thats not a double standard at all.

But as a self-proclaimed republican, Powell's reasoning behind his support is rather lame in light of his claims of being a republican.

But your're right. He may not be voting simply along racial lines - he might be bigoted against Mormons as well.

Your defense is you have reasons other than race to support a white candidate, as if Powell has none? Afford him the same consideration you'd expect.

Nah. I mean, if the guy were a democrat, or even an independent, i'd think it less about race. But since he claims to be a republican, I just dont see his reasoning making sense. At all....unless of course he is merely using that as excuse and is voting this way for other reasons, like a racial one.

Didn't he have a war within the WH with a bunch of people surrounding Romney now?

Not that i'm aware of.

Even if he and Obama weren't already on the same page ideologically - more or less - he's got plenty of reason to see Romney lose. And he gave some reasons when he offered his endorsement. Weird, I'm defending him and I rarely pass up the chance to rip him for that BS he spoon fed us about Iraq.

/shrug.

Powell wasn't sure if he was going to join democratic or republican for a long time. In the end, as stated in his biography, he joined the republicans in part to moderate them and represent the kind of republicans he respected from back in the day (Eisenhower etc). Since joining, the Republicans have tacked right on most issues, and the democrats have tacked right on most issues (save some identity things like civil rights). So Powell retains his party affiliation while his politics, personally held steady, are now in the democratic territory as the two parties have shifted.

Powell wasn't sure if he was going to join democratic or republican for a long time. In the end, as stated in his biography, he joined the republicans in part to moderate them and represent the kind of republicans he respected from back in the day (Eisenhower etc). Since joining, the Republicans have tacked right on most issues, and the democrats have tacked right on most issues (save some identity things like civil rights). So Powell retains his party affiliation while his politics, personally held steady, are now in the democratic territory as the two parties have shifted.

Then he shouldnt claim to be affiliated with republicans.

At all....unless of course he is merely using that as excuse and is voting this way for other reasons, like a racial one.

Has it occurred to you that he might be sick of the barely-dog whistling that's been going since anyone heard the name Obama?

Then he shouldnt claim to be affiliated with republicans.
You are aware of what you're saying here? That there should be no freedom of opinion within a party? That everyone either has to support the current party line or should leave it? Instead of trying to present an alternate direction for their party?

This cannot seriously be your opinion, so I'm going to believe you're just saying this because you're in election mode.

Libby was prosecuted for lying about it and yes, he did leak her name and so did Rove - they just did it after the aide.
There was no crime committed. Otherwise, Libby and others would have been charged with leaking the identity of Plame.
How does that make them innocent or oblige Powell to do something on their behalf (like what, lie too?)?
He could have informed the White House that his aide was the real leaker rather than let the scandal drag on as needlessly as it did.

Powell admitted in 2008 that Obama's skin color had something to do with his endorsement. Honestly reading the endorsement I feel like he is either in a fantasy world or their is a bias somewhere. Could it just be the case that where I live and my bias makes me see things differently? It is certainly possible but no one likes to admit that. But don't forget the Colin Powell did admit that skin color had something to do with his endorsement in 2008 and I see no reason why that would change. Obama's Presidency hasn't healed the racial divide it has made it worse (I won't debate who's fault that is cause we'll never agree)

I think it is quite clear that Colin Powell isn't a "moderate" in the least. If he were, he would have not been selected by Reagan to be his National Security Advisor nor would he have been selected to be the Secretary of State by GWB. That simply doesn't make any sense. They both demanded "yes" men in those positions who would be just as hawkish as they were towards the evil Soviet Union, Iranians, North Korea, and later Iraq after they fell out of favor. There was no place for "moderates" in those positions in their administrations. They simply wouldn't have stood for it.

One can be a moderate in general while still being a militarist with regard to foreign policy. Alternatively, one can be a damn good soldier who does not allow his political beliefs to interfere with his military planning.

Hygro, we were told he is a staunch Republic, just like that Democrat Norman Manetta... you need to heed what Formy declares.

It's not surprising that Mobby doesn't understand people not toeing the partyline is it?
I think that is certainly far less despicable than stating that voting for Obama at least partially because he is black is "bigoted" and insinuating he is a racist. I have no doubt that many women would quite likely do the same to see the first woman become president.

Many Republicans consider this to be a holy war against the evil Democrats. They need little excuse to try to vilify others for being what they consider to be essentially traitors.

One can be a moderate in general while still being a militarist with regard to foreign policy. Alternatively, one can be a damn good soldier who does not allow his political beliefs to interfere with his military planning.
I never claimed either was the case, now did I? Many moderates are quite authoritarian, as are even some liberals.

The point you seem to be missing here is that both Reagan and GWB were both far right authoritarian chicken hawks whose foreign policy did not tolerate any sort of moderate views when it came to their holy crusades against evil, especially Reagan when it came to "commies". While Powell was quite likely not socially conservative due to being black, he was a member of the Republican Party and he apparently did support the reactionary policies of both Reagan and GWB when it came to warmongering against their arch enemies. If he hadn't, he would have never been appointed National Security Advisor and Secretary of State where he was directly involved in implementing those policies.

The point you seem to be missing here is that both Reagan and GWB were both far right chicken hawks whose foreign policy did not tolerate any sort of moderate views when it came to their holy crusades against evil.

Exactly. So they would not have picked anyone who would put forth moderate views in foreign policy. That does not mean that they would not pick a moderate who shared their view of foreign policy - after all, not everyone fits into pidgeon-hole categories - or that they would not pick someone who manages national defence very well and to their liking without injecting his own beliefs too strongly into it. If the President says 'draw up a plan to respond with force to a Soviet invasion of Germany', he can do so despite feeling that to carry out that plan would be the wrong decision. If you're going to say that neither was willing to work with anything less than the reincarnation of Grant or Sherman, I think you're going to need to back that one up.

So we're at page 6.

I must admit having skipped a few pages, but have the reasons that Powely himself stated been discussed, or is the thread still in: "That's rasist", "no you are" mode?

Exactly. So they would not have picked anyone who would put forth moderate views in foreign policy. That does not mean that they would not pick a moderate who shared their view of foreign policy - after all, not everyone fits into pidgeon-hole categories - or that they would not pick someone who manages national defence very well and to their liking without injecting his own beliefs too strongly into it. If the President says 'draw up a plan to respond with force to a Soviet invasion of Germany', he can do so despite feeling that to carry out that plan would be the wrong decision. If you're going to say that neither was willing to work with anything less than the reincarnation of Grant or Sherman, I think you're going to need to back that one up.
You don't seem to understand the difference between the military and the presidential appointees who are responsible for creating his policies. Colin Powell was just as responsible for nearly starting WWIII as Ronald Reagan was. Colin Powell was just as responsible for hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians needlessly dying as GWB was.

Mitt Romney. (50% of the time);)

Olympia Snowe.

Newt Gingrich (Socialized MOON COLONY?:crazyeye: I understand why welfare, but a freaking MOON COLONY?:crazyeye:)

Rick Santorum (Openly supports progressive tax rate.)

Right wing Democrat?

Spoiler :
Sort of kidding here.
I assume you're kidding in all of your post.
Well, that kind of ruins the meme doesnt it?
Yup. 5char

You are aware of what you're saying here? That there should be no freedom of opinion within a party? That everyone either has to support the current party line or should leave it? Instead of trying to present an alternate direction for their party?

This cannot seriously be your opinion, so I'm going to believe you're just saying this because you're in election mode.

I think that's exactly what Mobboss is saying:crazyeye:

He also thinks there should be only two choices in each election.

Granted, if Colin Powell is really a straight out democrat now he should switch affiliation, but he may well be in between the two or share the views of Democrats on some issues and Republicans in others.

I for one may well join the Republican party in case another Libertarian Republican runs, but I doubt I'll be endorsing every Republican candidate...

If he really thinks Obama is better for the country, and doesn't want to go third party, he should endorse Obama. Although the fact that anyone would endorse either of the main two candidates boggles my mind.

I assume you're kidding in all of your post.

Well...

I was serious about Snowe, at least as far as it goes, she's not too far to the right of Obama.

Santorum is certainly on the right side of the fence economically, but not by much, as stated, its the social policy that makes him a radical.

Romney really does depend on the day...

Hygro, we were told he is a staunch Republic, just like that Democrat Norman Manetta... you need to heed what Formy declares.

Weirdly in party affiliation he is a staunch Republican, since he made his choice. The rest of it though...

Not sure how Ghostwriter found Gingrich to be a liberal. That dude's almost as redmeat as they come, current absolutism notwithstanding. A socialized moon base wouldn't be any different than a socialized army btw. Not sure why that's a bad thing. You can't survive on the moon via the free market anyway. Nor Rick Santorum. Sure he's got some American-left economic views but come to where most liberals reside (in cities) and you'll see how radically out of sync he is.

(Greetings from Tennessee and Kentucky btw!)

Not sure how Ghostwriter found Gingrich to be a liberal.

That part wasn't really serious.

That dude's almost as redmeat as they come, current absolutism notwithstanding. A socialized moon base wouldn't be any different than a socialized army btw. Not sure why that's a bad thing

Gingrich's comment was suppremely stupid because its going to be very expensive and we'll STILL need private charity to help the poor. Its the worst of both worlds.

Stupid =/= liberal though, t'was a joke.

You can't survive on the moon via the free market anyway. Nor Rick Santorum. Sure he's got some American-left economic views but come to where most liberals reside (in cities) and you'll see how radically out of sync he is.

How liberal can you liberals get?:eek::p

Top Bottom