Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos recieved Nobel's peace prize

Lohrenswald

世界的 bottom ranked physicist
For working out a peace treaty with the FARC Guerilla in Colombia

So what do y'all think about that?
Warpus you have to be more constructive and are not allowed to mention previous prizes

Personally I don't like it because I don't think he intended the peace treaty to go through. As far as I know it was FARC that reached out for peace, which is a sign they're giving up, so I don't think he has qualms about defeating them in battle or whatever.

Since there really aren't that many other peace efforts going around, I'd rather had liked it if the prize had gone to the mediators between FARC and the government. Compare to 1905 IIRC when Theodore Roosevelt got the prize for mediating the peace between Japan and Russia. This year feels like if that one had gone to the Japanase or Russian emperor (and only one of them, to boot)

Last edited:
Well the previous president didn't want peace except for total surrender, so the fact that this one was elected on a promise to sign peace and then worked out a peace treaty means that it's fair to say that his actions were a major part of achieving peace in Colombia. So his nobel peace prize is deserved IMO

Initially rejected yes. But then refined and signed. (without a referendum that time, wisely)

Personally I don't like it because I don't think he intended the peace treaty to go through. As far as I know it was FARC that reached out for peace, which is a sign they're giving up, so I don't think he has qualms about defeating them in battle or whatever.
Why don't you think he'll intend the treaty to go through. If so, why initiate the process in the first place. His hand wasn't forced when it comes to this. He could have carried on the line he followed as defence minister where an aggressive position against FARC was pursued. I'd say that the peace initiative, weather he started it or not, can be viewed as a pretty hefty gamble of his political careerer. But it's a good think he made it.
Though I have limited knowlegde of the history of the conflict.
Since there really aren't that many other peace efforts going around, I'd rather had liked it if the prize had gone to the mediators between FARC and the government. Compare to 1905 IIRC when Theodore Roosevelt got the prize for mediating the peace between Japan and Russia. This year feels like if that one had gone to the Japanase or Russian emperor (and only one of them, to boot)
Aren't the mediators norwegian or something? A norwegian prize to norwegians? Seems tacky.

Top Bottom